• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

007-2015-Feb-02-The%20Bell%20Jar_zpsg3a4

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

The ‘blurb’

The Bell Jar is Sylvia Plath's only novel. Renowned for its intensity and outstandingly vivid prose, it broke existing boundaries between fiction and reality and helped to make Plath an enduring feminist icon. It was published under a pseudonym a few weeks before the author's suicide.

It is a fine novel, as bitter and remorseless as her last poems... The world in which the events of the novel take place is a world bounded by the Cold War on one side and the sexual war on the other… This novel is not political or historical in any narrow sense, but in looking at the madness of the world and the world of madness it forces us to consider the great question posed by all truly realistic fiction: What is reality and how can it be confronted? Esther Greenwood's account of her year in the bell jar is as clear and readable as it is witty and disturbing.

Brian kindly sent me this after having a clear out.  It had been on my wish list for some time so I was very pleased to receive it.  Although if asked I would have said that she was more closely associated with poetry, I didn’t actually realise this was the only novel that Plath had written.

To start with, Esther Greenwood is a girl who seems to have it all.  She has an internship at a successful magazine in New York and lives in a women’s hotel with other girls in a similar position and her social life is busy – but although Esther should be having the time of her life in New York she feels that something is lacking and feels rather detached.  Her life spirals out of control and the therapy that she receives seems to do little to revive her and she plummets to the depths of despair. 

This autobiographical novel explores Esther’s descent into depression and the treatments given to try to turn her life around again.  It’s rather bleak in places but surprisingly readable.  I’m not sure if ‘enjoyed’ is the right word, but I found it an interesting and insightful account mirroring Plath’s own life.  Tragically Plath committed suicide shortly after this book was published. 

The paperback edition is 234 pages long and is published by Faber and Faber.  It was first published in 1963.  The ISBN is 9780571081783.  

3½/5 (it was good)

(Finished 02 February 2015)

:lol:

It's not the cost I'm worried about - many of these were bought with vouchers or were given to me - or came from charity shops. It's the size of my to read pile! :lol:  :D

Arg, this!! I acquire a lot of books cheap or free but that doesn't prevent them counting toward the mounting TBR! :giggle2:

Looks like you've acquired some crackers there J to be fair. I shall be eagerly looking for your Jamilia review. I also have neglected my World Challenge lately. The Bell Jar is on my wish list and sounds like a fascinating read, even if, as you say, enjoyable can't really be used. 

The Rosie Project is screaming at me from my TBR. I really must read it soon - although I say this about at least 50 of them...

That’ll never happen! For a start I always buy my Book Club books in paperback and sometimes Kindle too if they’re long!

And for a continuance, there are always those charity shops that are all too inviting... :giggle2: 

I think we've got away with it so far! 

It's been eerily quiet, I would've expected him to come and huff and puff already :giggle2: 

Oh yes – I’d forgotten about that house! Has it got a big circular window or am I getting it muddled up with Hugo? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen either.

Hmmm, I have a feeling I know what you are talking about and I don't know a Hugo... But I think it might've been Count Olaf's house, not the house on the cliff. It would seem like an Olaf thing to do.. A scary eye. 

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Great review, Janet :) I was also surprised that it was so readable. For some reason I'd expected it to be more difficult. 

Talking of which...  :blush:

2015%20New%20Books%208%20-%2012.03.15_zp

But in my defence this has been on my wish list for AGES and it was only £1.99 in a charity shop!

I need to stop going in charity shops!

Hurraaaaah! And on the contrary: you need to go to charity shops more often if you can find books like this! :wub: Highly recommended reading!! 

The Rosie Project is screaming at me from my TBR. I really must read it soon - although I say this about at least 50 of them...

Would it help if I started screaming at you, too, to read this particular book? :giggle2:

Arg, this!! I acquire a lot of books cheap or free but that doesn't prevent them counting toward the mounting TBR! :giggle2:

Looks like you've acquired some crackers there J to be fair. I shall be eagerly looking for your Jamilia review. I also have neglected my World Challenge lately. The Bell Jar is on my wish list and sounds like a fascinating read, even if, as you say, enjoyable can't really be used. 

I think the Jamilia book will be a 'one sitting' one, Alex.  :)   I haven't done any WC books for a long time but I've resolved not to stress about it. After all, it's only a challenge for my own benefit so it doesn't matter if I don't finish it.  

I think The Bell Jar may be on the 1001 Books... list.  I will have to try to remember to mark it off when I get home.

I'll probably read The Rosie Project next, although I'm taking a while to read The Shadow of the Wind.  It's great, but I just don't seem to be able to find time to read at the moment. :(  I'm only about half way through book two of Middlemarch and I think the discussion date for Book 2 must be soon?  I didn't actually write any thoughts about Book 1, but I really enjoyed it.

I hope you enjoy The Rosie Project, Janet! It was one of my favourite books I read last year :).

Thanks, Gaia.  I haven't come across anyone who hasn't enjoyed it yet, so I have high hopes for it.  :}   

Grrr - I just typed a long reply to Sari's post but I lost it - and now my lunch hour is over.  :roll:

I will reply properly but it might not be until Sunday night as I'll be on my tablet over the weekend and quoting on that is nigh on impossible (or I find it so!).   :)

I think The Bell Jar may be on the 1001 Books... list.  I will have to try to remember to mark it off when I get home.

I'm pretty sure it's on the list! I hope this post acts as a reminder :) 

I'll probably read The Rosie Project next, although I'm taking a while to read The Shadow of the Wind.  It's great, but I just don't seem to be able to find time to read at the moment. :(  I'm only about half way through book two of Middlemarch and I think the discussion date for Book 2 must be soon?  I didn't actually write any thoughts about Book 1, but I really enjoyed it.

That sucks, about not finding time to focus on the novel :( I hope you'll have more time over the weekend! (And verrrry excited about you possibly starting TRP next :smile2:)

Grrr - I just typed a long reply to Sari's post but I lost it - and now my lunch hour is over.  :roll:

I will reply properly but it might not be until Sunday night as I'll be on my tablet over the weekend and quoting on that is nigh on impossible (or I find it so!).   

I hate it when that happens!  :empathy:

I'm currently in the middle of Book 2. I've got too much on the go and books screaming to be read :giggle2:

However, I shall bear your screams in mind, Frankie, wouldn't want you going hoarse now would we ;)

And for a continuance, there are always those charity shops that are all too inviting... :giggle2:

Nooooo, I’m going to try to keep out them for a few months, so please don’t tempt me!

It's been eerily quiet, I would've expected him to come and huff and puff already :giggle2:

I think maybe he has a sort of telepathy that alerts him to sci-fi posts – so as long as we don’t mention sci-fi we’ll be okay.

Ooops!  :giggle:

Hmmm, I have a feeling I know what you are talking about and I don't know a Hugo... But I think it might've been Count Olaf's house, not the house on the cliff. It would seem like an Olaf thing to do.. A scary eye.

It is Count Olaf’s window (see Claire’s post above).  Hugo is a different film – it’s set in a railway station in Paris and has a gorgeous window.  Sadly the real window is no longer there as they demolished the station, I believe.  :(   We would have gone to visit it when we were in Paris if it was still there.

Great review, Janet :) I was also surprised that it was so readable. For some reason I'd expected it to be more difficult.

Thank you.  It was much more readable than I expected which was a pleasant surprise.

Hurraaaaah! And on the contrary: you need to go to charity shops more often if you can find books like this! :wub: Highly recommended reading!!

Nooo – I send don’t tempt me!  :giggle:

Would it help if I started screaming at you, too, to read this particular book? :giggle2:

Do it!  :P

That's the one!  Thanks.  :)

Emoticons culled...

I'm pretty sure it's on the list! I hope this post acts as a reminder

Thanks, it did. :) But when I got there I discovered I had already marked it off. D’oh!  :doh:

That sucks, about not finding time to focus on the novel I hope you'll have more time over the weekend! (And verrrry excited about you possibly starting TRP next :smile2:)

I’m a third of the way through The Shadow of the Wind so far. Slow going, but I’m really enjoying it. :)

I hate it when that happens!

I know! I was on my tablet and I’m not brilliant at quoting posts on it (or rubbing non-relevant stuff out – it either takes me ages or I erase the wrong bit). Luckily it doesn’t happen too often.

Ok, sounds like a plan - I'll update the group read thread. Hope you have a lovely weekend meeting up with your friend, Janet. :)

Thanks. :) I had a great weekend. I still haven’t finished it but I should be able to do so by Sunday.

That's a first! Usually people want me to lose my voice so I'd shut up :(:D

:giggle:  I know that’s not true! :hug:

I'm feeling a bit fed up at the moment. I just don't seem to be able to find (or is it make?) the time to read. :( I'm enjoying The Shadow of the Wind but my progress is painfully slow. If anyone sees my mojo perhaps they'd be kind enough to send it home to me?!

Awww I'm sorry your mojo ain't so great lately. I think I've sucked up everyone's mojos for myself, Michelle was having the same problem and for the first year in about four years I'm on a roll! The Shadow of the Wind is a great book, hope your mojo picks up soon :)