Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

Thanks, Sari.  :) Did you Google her?  She’s married to a chap called Ian Hislop who is (amongst other things) a journalist and the editor of a satirical magazine called Private Eye, and who is also a captain on a comedy quiz show called Have I Got News for You?.   I don’t know much about her though so I guess I should Google her too! :giggle:

I did google her. Should've probably gone for the possible wikipedia page of hers but ended up reading a bit about her, or rather her books, on this Finnish publisher's website. She seems to write about all things Greek?  So she has a celebrity of a husband... I believe I saw an episode or two of the Australian version of that TV show you mentioned, when I was staying at Kylie's :smile2: Yes, maybe you should google her, too :D But you don't have to read about her on the Finnish publisher's website, you can go for something else :giggle2: 

016-2015-Apr-16-Ghosting_zpssbd6twn5.jpg

Ghosting by Jonathan Kemp

I like the sound of this, and it's going on my wishlist if it's not on there already. The title seems really familiar for some reason... I've probably come by it on Goodreads or somewhere. 

017-2015-Apr-24-The%20Rosie%20Project_zp

So happy that you loved this novel! :lol: Don is such a unique, lovable character, isn't he? :wub: In my humble opinion, and for what it's worth,  I loved the sequel just as much as the first novel :smile2: 

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did google her. Should've probably gone for the possible wikipedia page of hers but ended up reading a bit about her, or rather her books, on this Finnish publisher's website. She seems to write about all things Greek?  So she has a celebrity of a husband... I believe I saw an episode or two of the Australian version of that TV show you mentioned, when I was staying at Kylie's :smile2: Yes, maybe you should google her, too :D But you don't have to read about her on the Finnish publisher's website, you can go for something else :giggle2:

There isn't much about her on Wikipedia so maybe I should try your site!  Can you give me a crash course in Finnish?!  :P

I like the sound of this, and it's going on my wishlist if it's not on there already. The title seems really familiar for some reason... I've probably come by it on Goodreads or somewhere.

I hope you enjoy it if you do read it.  :)

So happy that you loved this novel! :lol: Don is such a unique, lovable character, isn't he? :wub: In my humble opinion, and for what it's worth,  I loved the sequel just as much as the first novel :smile2:

I think I might download the sequel for my holiday.  I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed it as much as #1.   :)

So glad you enjoyed The Rosie Project Janet! And Ghosting has gone on my wishlist - sounds very much my cup of tea.

Thanks. And again, I hope you enjoy it.

I'm always a bit nervous when people say they're going to read something I've recommended, but I did enjoy it so hopefully you all will too.  :D

018-2015-Apr-28-Five%20Children%20and%20

Five Children and It by E Nesbit

The ‘blurb’

When Cyril, Anthea, Robert, Jane and their baby brother go digging in the gravel pit, the last thing they expect to find is a Psammead – an ancient Sand-fairy! Having a Sand-fairy for a pet means having one wish granted each day. But the children don't realize all the trouble wishes can cause...

E Nesbit was one of my favourite authors when I was younger and I read this book several times as a child.  I decided to re-read it ahead of reading the 2014 ‘sequel’ which was written by Kate Saunders on the anniversary of the start of WW1. 

The Five Children of the title move from London to Kent and whilst exploring in a local quarry they find a Psammead – a kind of Sand-fairy.  They discover that the Psammead, whom they Christen ‘It’, can grant wishes, but the wishes come at a price and they very soon discover that having everything you wish for isn’t always as desirable as it might seem – sometimes with hilarious consequences!

I have seen the most recent film version I knew it differed from the book (it is set during the First World War which took place some 12 years after the book was written and set!), but nonetheless, it’s an enjoyable film, with Eddie Izzard voicing the Psammead so perfectly! 

Revisiting Five Children and It was a lovely nostalgic trip down memory lane, although I don’t know whether it stands the test of time with today’s children? I do hope so though, as I still feel it’s rather magical.  

The paperback edition is 272 pages long and is published by Puffin.  It was first published in 1902.  The ISBN is 9780141321615.  

4/5 (I really enjoyed it)

(Finished 28 April 2015)

There isn't much about her on Wikipedia so maybe I should try your site!  Can you give me a crash course in Finnish?!  :P

Well. Let's see. Kirja = book. Hyvä kirja = good book. Huono kirja = bad book. 

:lol: :lol: 

I think I might download the sequel for my holiday.  I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed it as much as #1.   :)

When's your holiday, do you have anything special planned? Except for reading the Don Tillman sequel :lol: 

Okay - I'd like lots of Hyvä kirja and very few Huono kirja in my life!  :giggle:

We're off to Majorca.  :)   I'm so excited, but I'm also really anxious about the flight.  :(   I've just started taking something called Bach's Remedy that a friend recommended which is meant to help with anxiety.  It might work as a placebo, but if that's the case then that's fine by me!  I've downloaded Wuthering Heights onto my iPod and I'm going to plug my earphones in and hope I can get lost in the story and take my mind of being on a plane.  :wibbly:

Despite this I am very much looking forward to it.  :)

Ooh I didn't realise you were going on a plane J! Sure it will be worth it, Majorca is beautiful. Hope it all goes really well! When are you off?

I feel exactly the same about recommendations, but then I also feel guilty when I don't enjoy something someone else has recommended so I can't win :D

Thanks, Hayley and Alex.  :)     I have been to Majorca before, but Peter hasn't. 

We've booked a trip to Palma and I'd love to go in the cathedral but their website says one can't wear shorts and as we're not packing any trousers I don't suppose we'll be able to go in. 

I was awake at 4.50am after having a dream about being on the plane.  Honestly, it's ridiculous - I know it's the safest form of transport!  :roll:

Great reviews! I'm glad you enjoyed The Rosie Project and Five Children and It, in particular :). I loved The Rosie Project and I read Four Children and It, which references the original book so I hope to read the original some day.

Okay - I'd like lots of Hyvä kirja and very few Huono kirja in my life!  :giggle:

Yes please! :D See, you're already very fluent in Finnish and know how to say the most important things :D 

We're off to Majorca.  :)   I'm so excited, but I'm also really anxious about the flight.  :(   I've just started taking something called Bach's Remedy that a friend recommended which is meant to help with anxiety.  It might work as a placebo, but if that's the case then that's fine by me!  I've downloaded Wuthering Heights onto my iPod and I'm going to plug my earphones in and hope I can get lost in the story and take my mind of being on a plane.  :wibbly:

I've never been, but I know people who have. It's supposed to be very popular and nice! :smile2: (Since I've been teaching you Finnish recently, I'm going to add a little tidbit: for some reason we call it Mallorca in Finnish.) I hope you can forget about the flight for now and not worry about it at least beforehand, because I know that's easier said than done during the actual flight  :empathy:

It's called Mallorca and Majorca for some reason Sari, in all our cruise documentation it is Mallorca (US company).. Strange eh?

I wouldn't worry too much about the dress code for the cathedral Janet, most people were wearing shorts and sundresses, just decent length ones, some of the ladies wore light scarves around their bare shoulders but I wore a tshirt dress so didn't bother and wasn't barred! Worth a try at least x

It's called Mallorca and Majorca for some reason Sari, in all our cruise documentation it is Mallorca (US company).. Strange eh?

I thought it was Mallorca in some places and Majorca in others, but oddly it seems like anything would go... :shrug: I think maybe it's Majorca for some because the Spanish would pronounce 'll' as in 'j'. At least that's my understanding but I could be wrong. 

That's an interesting article indeed! And I liked reading some of the comments, too. :) I loved this bit of the article in particular: "Yet there is another side to the coin. Was it not Robert Graves, that revered British poet and erstwhile resident of Deia, who in 1953 wrote an essay entitled Why I live in Majorca? If the j was good enough for the highly cultured Graves, why should it now prove so distasteful to the independent British visitor?" :D Indeed!

Thanks, both of you.  :hug:

We are definitely going to try to go in the cathedral.  Hopefully our shorts (which aren't that short!) will be deemed suitable.  I might actually wear a dress but I doubt Peter will!

I don't pronounce the 'J' in Majorca - I sort of say Ma-yorca.  I will ask someone in the hotel when we get there and see what they say!  :)

I say May-orca, for what it's worth. :)

I hope you have a great trip, Janet. I love flying but my Mum hates it, so I'm threatening to make her drink a big glass of Baileys before we board a flight later this year (it'll send her to sleep within minutes ;)).

I think the 'j' is meant to be pronounced as 'y', and that's what everyone's meant, it's just written as 'j'. :shrug: At least that's what I thought, as a Finn.

Edit: Although if Mallorca is pronounced with .... Oh this is hurting my head! :D

Edit: For what it's worth (very little, I'm afraid :D :D), I knew you guys would pronounce it with 'y' even though you would (I think) write it as Majorca. If that makes sense.

Edited by frankie

019-2015-May-06-Five%20Children%20on%20t

Five Children on the Western Front by Kate Saunders

The ‘blurb’

Five Children on the Western Front is Kate Saunder's incredible, heart-wrenching sequel to E. Nesbit's Five Children and It, set on the eve of the First World War. The five children have grown up - war will change their lives for ever. 

I tend to avoid sequels that are not written by the original author but I was fond of Nesbit’s book and I thought it would be good to read this in 2014 as it marks the centenary of the beginning of World War One – the war to end all wars.  The Five children in the title are actually now six as Saunders has introduced Edith (a nice touch in homage to Nesbit heself). 

It was lovely to revisit the children of the original story again and I really liked the war element which was well-written, not only the actual conflict but also the way society was changing with the girls in the story getting involved in the war effort, despite the reservations of some of the older generation of their family. 

The story was a good one, although not perfect.  The Psammead was always prone to grumpiness – it was rather endearing in the original book, but in this one he was rather selfish, which I didn’t feel was in the true spirit of the original character of It.   I originally gave this 4/5, but I’ve downgraded it slightly due to this.  However, overall it was an enjoyable and easy read.

The paperback edition is 336 pages long and is published by Faber & Faber.  It was first published in 2014.  The ISBN is 9780571323180.  

3½/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 6 May 2015)

I hope you have a great trip, Janet. I love flying but my Mum hates it, so I'm threatening to make her drink a big glass of Baileys before we board a flight later this year (it'll send her to sleep within minutes ;)).

The last time we flew (10 years ago!) Peter plied me with Gin and Tonic from a hip flask! However we're flying at 6.45am so I don't think that's really an option!  :giggle2:

:lol: Hot water bottle!! (Awww shucks, I was wrong, you can pronounce it with the 'j'. Well, live and learn! Ass of me, not u!)

Actually, I'm not sure I agree with them - I think you're right!  :D

I was reading this thread on my phone earlier, and that advert was exactly what I was thinking of! :lol:

It's great, isn't it!  There were some good ones around before they stopped being allowed to advertise alcohol and ciggies/cigars (particularly the Hamlet ones!).  :giggle: