• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, both of you. :)

One day, Noll, one day... :hug:

I haven't come across either book before so they were both total impulse purchases. The second one will hopefully be wonderful, but it could just be irritating. It's about the changing seasons in a meadow and I think is a kind of prose-poetry book so it's a bit of a gamble. :)

I've started The Rosie Project:exc:   I'm only on page 38 so far but I think I'm going to like it!  :yes:

I'm late to this, but hurrah! :D Although I know that you've by now finished it... And loved it! :lol: So very happy! Can't wait for the review. Am I making an ass out of u and me if I assume that you're going to read the sequel?

I met Michelle today in Bluewater. Had a lovely time catching up. :) We went to Waterstone's (obviously!!) But I resisted buying any books... for a while, any way! I went back and bought these...

attachicon.gifDSC_0052.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0051(1).jpg

I'm glad you didn't resist 100% when you got your hands on the A. J. Fikry book! I loved it, it was one of my favorites last year :wub: 

I met Michelle today in Bluewater. Had a lovely time catching up. :) We went to Waterstone's (obviously!!) But I resisted buying any books... for a while, any way! I went back and bought these...

attachicon.gifDSC_0052.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0051(1).jpg

How lovely! (both the books and the meeting up with Michelle :) ) You are very good usually and so deserve some booky treats every now and then (or every day if it was left up to me :D) Lovely covers Janet xx :hug: 

• 2 weeks later...

PAPER BOOKS ACQUIRED IN 2015 (TITLES READ IN RED!)

01. King of Shadows by Susan Cooper - £0 (09.01.15 - bought for me by my Mum) - Children's/YA
02. The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath - £0 - finished 02.02.15 (14.01.15 - swapped for a book with Brian) - Fiction
03. The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory - £0.60 finished 24.02.15 (23.01.15 - Lion's Bookshop Warminster) - Fiction
04. The Family from One End Street by Eve Garnett finished 03.03.15 (23.01.15 - Lion's Bookshop Warminster) - Children's/YA
05. Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey finished 07.02.15 (29.01.15 - Waterstone's Trowbridge) - Fiction
06. Dorothy Wordsworth's Christmas Birthday by Carol Ann Duffy - £2.85 (31.01.15 - Amazon Online) - Short Story
07. Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey - £3.49 finished 26.02.15 (31.01.15 - Amazon Online) - Fiction
08. The Spire by William Golding - £0 finished 14.04.15 (08.03.15 - Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights Bath) - Fiction
09. Jamilia by Chingiz Aitmatov - £1.99 (11.03.15 - AGE UK, Warminster) - Fiction
10. Requiem for a Wren by Nevil Shute - £0 (11.03.15 - Given to me by my Mum) - Fiction
11. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - £1.99 finished 24.04.15 (12.03.15 - Dorothy House Hospice Shop) - Fiction
12. The Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen - £3.85 finished 18.03.15 (18.03.15 - Tesco) - Non-fiction
13. Ghosting by Jonathan Kemp - £0 finished 16.04.15 (04.04.15 - Waterstone's Gift Voucher, Bath store) - Fiction
14. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - £0 finished 01.05.15 (01.05.15 - Waterstone's Gift Voucher, Bluewater store) - Fiction
15. Meadowland John by Lewis-Stempel - £0 (01.05.15 - bought with Waterstone's Gift Voucher, Bluewater store) - Non-fiction

Total new books acquired in 2015: 15
Number of these read: 10
Total cost* of books acquired: £14.87

* Taking into account money off/vouchers/gift cards etc - so price paid, not necessarily cover price

BOOKS READ IN 2015

FICTION (12 read)
A Little of What You Fancy (1970) by H E Bates - 2½/5
How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the FA Cup (1975) by J L Carr - 3½/5
The Dynamite Room (2014) by Jason Hewitt - 5/5
The Bell Jar (1963) by Sylvia Plath - 3½/5
Cheerful Weather for the Wedding (1932) by Julia Strachey - 3½/5
The Queen's Fool (2003) by Philippa Gregory - 2/5
Elizabeth is Missing (2014) by Emma Healey - 4/5
The Shadow of the Wind (2004) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - 3½/5
The Spire (1964) by William Golding - 3½/5
Ghosting (2015) by Jonathan Kemp - 5/5
The Rosie Project (2014) by Graeme Simsion - 4/5
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (2014) by Gabrielle Zavin - 4/5

CLASSICS (1 read)
The Time Machine (1895) by H G Wells - 5/5

CHILDREN'S/YOUNG ADULT FICTION (5 read)
A Bear Called Paddington (1958) by Michael Bond - 5/5
The Enormous Crocodile (1978) by Roald Dahl - 3/5
The Family from One End Street (1937) by Eve Garett - 3/5
Five Children and It (1902) by E Nesbit - 4/5
Five Children on the Western Front (2014) - 4/5

NON-FICTION (2 read)
The Young Ardizzone (1970) by Edward Ardizzone - 4½/5
The Yorkshire Shepherdess (2014) by Amanda Owen - 4/5

Total read 20

1/5 - I hated it
2/5 - It was okay
3/5 - I liked it
4/5 - I really liked it
5/5 - I loved it

(or variations!)

I meant to post this at the end of April as a sort of third-way-though-the-year round-up, but I was away and then I forgot when I got back! 

This time last year I had acquired 19 books, so I'm pretty pleased that I've only acquired 15 books so far this year - and that I've read ten of them. :)

This time last year I had finished 25 books so I'm behind on my reading by 20 books, but I resolved not to stress about this numbers this year, so I'm not!  :)

I'm behind with my reviews (it was ever thus!) by six.  :doh:   I keep catching up and then letting them slip again.

Nice statistics :)! It's pretty good you've acquired less books than last year and that you've read most of them! The total cost of ~£15 is pretty low too, well done! And you liked most of the books you read, so that's always good :readingtwo:. I hope the rest of the year will be great too, Janet!

Athena already said it, but I want to echo her sentiments: I love it how you've almost read all the books that you've acquired this year! :smile2:

I'm behind with my reviews (it was ever thus!) by six.  :doh:   I keep catching up and then letting them slip again.

This sounds so familiar... Nothing's worse than finally catching up with the reviews and then again getting to that point where you have a bunch of them to write :blush: 

I have finished a couple of books in the past few days.   The first was Hardacre by C L Skelton - a family saga which was sort of like Catherine Cookson, but slightly better!  Not my usual type of book but I read it when I was about 12 so when it was recently a 99p deal of the day I thought I'd take a punt for the sheer nostalgia value.

I've just finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins which I read in under 48 hours (tame by the standards of some readers on here, but something of a miracle for me!).  There is a definite upside of being in a position where I have nothing much to do!   It's a Book Club book and I think it's going to make for some good discussion.  :)

It's fun to have a nostalgic read every now and again, isn't it?  I really enjoyed revisiting the Malory Towers books earlier in the year, and I've got a couple of other books I haven't read for years and found on the bookshelf recently that I might reread over the summer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lovely birthday at the weekend.   Peter took me away... to Portishead!  That might seem random to anyone who knows the area, but we spent Saturday wandering round Clifton Village in Bristol (an area I love, but haven't visited for a few years) and then headed to Portishead where we went out to dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant overlooking the marina, which is simply gorgeous.  Then on Sunday we drove to Cardiff and did a bit of shopping and then went for a drive in Wales (I've no idea where!) stopping for a pint on the way home in Usk, which is very pretty. 

Sadly Bath didn't win the Rugby on Saturday, but you can't have it all!

I had one book for my birthday - The Cornish Coast Murder By John Bude which my Mum bought me.  :)

In sadder news, and I know you bookworms will feel my pain, I have lost a Book Token with about £11 on it and a Waterstone's token with about £8 on it.  :(  They were both in my handbag when I sent away to Kent the weekend before last and now they're gone.  I have searched everywhere.  :(  I can only think that they slipped out of my handbag.  It's kind of ironic really as I was only saying to Peter a week or so ago that I thought I ought to sew a few poppers/press studs (whatever they're called) on it because it didn't feel secure enough, but I didn't get round to it.

To say I'm gutted is an understatement.  :wibbly:  It's not only the loss of potential books but it's my carelessness with what were presents from people I love.  Grrr!

Awwwww, I'm so sorry to hear about the lost book tokens :(  :(  :hug:   I know you would've given a few books such a great home  :empathy:

Portishead! I've never heard anyone use the word in the actual sense of the location. I only know the band :D Awesome stuff. 

Thanks, everyone.  :)    I'm hoping they'll turn up.  I've looked everywhere I can think of so I'm going to stop looking now.

To cheer myself up I went to the Bookbarn today after I met a friend for coffee - and I bought a book.  :D   The Enchanted Places by Christopher Milne.  It has a couple of newspaper cuttings inside it which I haven't looked at yet so I don't know if they relate to the book or what they are. :giggle:  I hope they're not rude!  :o 

When I got home I'd had a lovely card from Claire!  :wub:  I'm going to look out for some books for her and as she knows how much I love 'snail mail' so she'd written to me with the titles.  How lovely.   As I've been to the Bookbarn today it'll probably be a few more weeks before I go back.  The card really cheered me up, so thanks, Claire.  :hug:

Aww, I'm so sorry to read about the missing tokens J :( 

But very pleased with your cheer up card - sounds just the thing. Coupled with a book purchase and the day is looking up a bit!  :friends3:

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, I'm so sorry to read about the missing tokens J :(

But very pleased with your cheer up card - sounds just the thing. Coupled with a book purchase and the day is looking up a bit!  :friends3:

Sorry to hear about the lost tokens, Janet, but glad my card was able to cheer you up.  :flowers2: 

Aww Janet :( So sorry about your lost tokens :( xx Not your fault at all .. sometimes bags are just not secure enough!! Glad you had a lovely birthday weekend :hug: 

I'm sorry to hear about your missing book tokens :( but good on Claire for her good timing with the card! :)

Thanks everyone.  :)  I'm sorry it's taken me a while to reply - I don't know what the matter with me is at the moment but I am reading the forum - I just don't seem to be able to post much at the moment. 

I'm horribly behind with my reviews again - I've read 25 books so far this year but have only written 15 reviews and I'm struggling to write anything. 

I feel so apathetic at the moment. It's not like me.  :(

(Sorry to whinge)

In other book news...

It was going well but just recently I seem to be back on the 'slippery purchase slope' and bought book #19 - A Boy in Kent by C. Henry Warren today.   I was only 60p though.  I was born in Kent, and this sounds like it might be along the same lines as Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee and My Uncle Silas by H E Bates so it seems like something I'll enjoy.   :)

I'm sure just the titles and authors would be fine Janet and if you liked or disliked...we don't mind...sometimes I don't know what to say in a review either.