The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Naked Prey! 60's film starring and directed by Cornell Wilde. I saw this once on TV when I was a teenager and it made a lasting impression. Although I looked out for it ever afterwards it was never on TV again. I managed to get a Spanish DVD that plays in the original English. It is still good. I believe Mel Gibson must have used this as inspiration for Apocalypto.

Haha :D I believe I saw the film first, too :giggle2: But I think that this is one of those rare ones where the book and the movie are equally good. My favorite scene is

when the guy (I can't remember his name!) is reading the naughty book to Rose and then they start... to do relations, and she turns the light off, and he turns it back on. They continue to kiss but then Rose turns the light off again, and the guy turns it on again. To say, 'I want to see you, you are beautiful'. The scene gets me every time :wub: 

That is such a great scene :wub:!

I saw The Martian last night. They did a pretty good job of it, I thought. Watney's humour came across much better on the screen than it did in the book. They left out a couple of incidents that I would have liked to see, but overall it was a great movie. :)

I saw The Martian last night. They did a pretty good job of it, I thought. Watney's humour came across much better on the screen than it did in the book. They left out a couple of incidents that I would have liked to see, but overall it was a great movie. :)

We saw it last night.  Husband and I had the opposite reaction, Kylie.  I thought the book came across much more humorously than the film.  I found Damon's performance totally lacking, well, almost totally lacking humor or stress/anxiety..  Physically he is exactly what I pictured for Watney.  But.  But.  I didn't feel he projected much of anything in the way of emotion.  Now whether that was the actor or director's fault.....I dunno.  I do know the guy that played NASA's head honcho, Jeff Daniels, is capable of lots more emotional output, and he was pretty bland as well. 

Yes, the scenery was gorgeous although I have to admit I don't think it was properly exploited either. 

The film lacked the science/geeky stuff that I loved about the book also. 

It wasn't until almost the end (the actual rescue) that I thought there was any tension to the film. 

In real life, astronauts  are at heart cowboys.  They have to have the ego to believe they can survive.  I saw none of that in the film.  /sigh/  

All in all, I'd rate it milquetoast.  :( 

^^ Interesting to hear your opinions, I hope to see it this week and haven't read the book yet.

Today we saw Transylvania Hotel 2, which was too darn cute.  We also ate too much theater food :yes:

^^ Interesting to hear your opinions, I hope to see it this week and haven't read the book yet.

Today we saw Transylvania Hotel 2, which was too darn cute.  We also ate too much theater food :yes:

You do know that's not really food 

I saw The Martian. I really enjoyed it! It felt quite rushed to me, though maybe that's just because I've read the book, but it felt like none of the problems really had time to be problems before a solution was found. It was funny and pretty though, and I did enjoy it.

The Dish

A great film about the Parkes Observatory in Australia and the Apollo 11 moon landings, staring Sam Neil. 

If you've not seen this, seek out a copy - it is very good!

Love that film.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see Bill at the cinema on Friday morning.  I've not seen any of the Horrible Histories television programme, but it's made by the same team as far as I know.  I loved it.  Lots of things for both kids and adults, with the main ensemble cast all playing multiple characters, and just good fun.  Can't wait for it to come on telly so I can watch with my other half. :)

The Martian. Fantastic film and a great adaptation. It was a shame some things had to be cut out but it still had a fairly long run time and stuck pretty close to the book

Really glad they didn't try to throw in any typical Hollywood tropes like an unnecessary love story or pointless villian.

Jurassic World

A shark! Lasers! And Dinosaurs! Wow!

(not)

I don't think I've seen a recent film that has felt quite so cobbled together.  Lots of good bits, but the sum doesn't add up. 

Pity.

Chris Pratt was pretty good, though.

Went to see Spectre this morning as I had the day off.  I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as Skyfall on the first viewing, but it was still fantastic.  Couple of look away moments for me, as I'm a bit squeamish, but you have to expect that with a 21st century Bond.  Will definitely be going again with OH and possibly friends as well, and will happily watch again.  Most films over two hours are too long for my liking, but checked the time after what I thought was an hour, and it was actually already 90 mins in, so didn't feel like it was that long to me.

Went to see Spectre this morning as I had the day off.  I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as Skyfall on the first viewing, but it was still fantastic.  Couple of look away moments for me, as I'm a bit squeamish, but you have to expect that with a 21st century Bond.  Will definitely be going again with OH and possibly friends as well, and will happily watch again.  Most films over two hours are too long for my liking, but checked the time after what I thought was an hour, and it was actually already 90 mins in, so didn't feel like it was that long to me.

I'm so jealous- Daniel Craig hubba hubba :giggle2:

Saw Spectre last night:

*sigh* Really didn't like it, don't understand why it has been so popular, it's boring. I'm a huge James Bond fan and I really wanted to like it but it was just so dull. Terrible script and non-sensical plot just jumping from one location to another with barely any connection, with the ring being the worst example of a MacGuffin I have ever seen. It was so predictable to be almost laughable, not just in a generic Bond will kill villian, get the girl sort of way, but every line and quip and escape method I saw coming a mile off. The car chase was utterly pointless and the most boring one ever put too screen, Bond is even able to have a casual conversation with a stupid airbag joke thrown in.

I'm not surprised this is Daniel Craig's final Bond film, he looks so bored throughout and is clearly fed-up of the whole thing. The supporting cast try their hardest but the script is just so weak. Leá Seydoux's character being nothing more than arm candy despite showing she knows how to handle herself, one minute she hates Bond then the next she is in love with him, hates him again after seeing what happened with her Dad despite the fact that Bond had already told her everything, sees him tortured and loves him again. I know it's not uncommon for wrestlers to play generic henchmen but Bautista's character is just awful, he has shown he can do well in speaking parts in Guardians of the Galaxy so why make him mute!?

M and Q are fairly good in their respective roles but simply not given enough to do (although what the point of that scene with Q in the cable car and the henchmen I have no idea, thought it was going somewhere but nope). Then that brings us to Christoph Waltz, whom I was very much looking forward to seeing as he was made for this role, he has proven himself an incredible villian in Inglorious Bast*rds but the script is so lacklustre he never gets the chance to shine. You can really see him trying with what he is given but ultimately he never scares or intimidates, he's not a character you hate or love to hate, he's just boring and never comes across as a real threat. Then there is his motivation, one of the greatest villians of fictional history is evil because...Daddy issues! Not to mention the most incredible boring lair/secret hideout ever, for which we never find it's purpose, which Bond is able to complete destroy with a single bullet!

I honestly struggled to think of moments I enjoyed in Spectre, however, the opening sequence is fantastic, especially the long tracking shot, it did get a bit silly once they got in the helicopter though but then it is just downhill from there. The title sequence is rubbish and the song by Sam Smith is very forgettable. It is a real shame, the 'new' Bond's have been really good and marked a great new direction for a modern Bond but Spectre is just a complete 180 degree turn back to the 60's and 70's style that worked well then but does not hold up today. A complete missed opportunity to end the Craig run in style.

They couldn't just let the DB5 die, they just had to bring it back yet again! Which led to the worst ending of any Bond film so far.

3/10

Simple to say, I didn't like it.

Edited by Timstar

We rewatched Divergent yesterday, it was good to see it again. I do prefer the books, and I've heard the second film, Insurgent really deviates from the book (and the trailer shows this too), so we'll see what I think. It'll probably be a good movie on its own, just not a good book-to-movie adaptation.

I watched She's the One the other night. Mainly because I'd seen bits and pieced of it in the past and it seemed watchable, and what's more: John Mahoney was in it :wub: I love John Mahoney! But hello, mister Edward Burns.... :o:blush::giggle2:

Edit: Ah! I've seen him in The River King! No wonder he seemed somewhat familiar eventhough I couldn't really place his face in any other movies I've seen. 

Edited by frankie