What's Up in January? - 2015

Athena

Today I went to my university and officially withdrew from my course. I was shaking going in, and nearly in tears. Not because I'm sad about leaving the course, but because I'm sad I had to quit something. I've never quit before, and there's such a stigma around dropping out of college, it's difficult not to be impacted by that and feel like a failure. But I know it was the right thing for me to do.

I've spent the evening photographing some of my ponies (80s My Little Pony) to sell, because I'm considering popping to London on Feb 28th to see Andrew McMahon (again). I feel like I don't deserve it, so I'm not sure it's gonna happen, but I'm gathering funds in case I go for it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's very early! Good luck with your job :).

Thanks! The day was great, but I'm exhausted. I jumped right back into it working 11 hours today.

Hope you have a good day!

My daughter is back at school today as well, so it is back to being up at 6:00am.  I begin next Monday  :weeping:

Enjoy your last week off! Even though you have to get up early to take her, hopefully you can go back to bed for a bit!

First proper day back at work after a long Christmas break … you know, I could take or leave it, I would actually rather have spent the day at home reading my book.  Oh hang on … what are these bills that need paying … ah well, I guess it's back to the office again tomorrow. ;)

Blast those bills! I keep trying to find someone who will accept my good looks and charm as sufficient payment. Alas, no luck! ;)

Hello, friends! It's been too long. Sounds like everyone is getting along pretty well, and I'm feeling the same as some, not quite ready to get back to work. I am glad however that the new year has started, since that means the days are getting shorter and that spring is that much closer! :D

Noll, I'm so sorry you had to withdraw from your course. I understand how difficult something like that can be! I'm glad you are doing what you think is best for you, though.

Things are going along fine here in the frozen MN tundra. I just celebrated my 15th year of work at my company, so I've got an extra weeks worth of vacation coming to me this year which will be nice. I'm planning on a trip west to see family sometime this spring. It's been about 3 years since I was there so I think I'm due.

I wish all of you a wonderful and happy new year!

Today I went to my university and officially withdrew from my course. I was shaking going in, and nearly in tears. Not because I'm sad about leaving the course, but because I'm sad I had to quit something. I've never quit before, and there's such a stigma around dropping out of college, it's difficult not to be impacted by that and feel like a failure. But I know it was the right thing for me to do.

I've spent the evening photographing some of my ponies (80s My Little Pony) to sell, because I'm considering popping to London on Feb 28th to see Andrew McMahon (again). I feel like I don't deserve it, so I'm not sure it's gonna happen, but I'm gathering funds in case I go for it.

I'm sure you did the right thing even if it was hard to walk away from your course. It's much better to have realised it and left, than to have tried to finish it and felt miserable about carrying on.

I hope all the first days went okay for everyone who had them! 

Last night, Josh slept through for the first time ever. He went to be at 8pm, was asleep at 8.30pm, and didn't stir till we were all woken by the power cut setting off all the alarms on the street at 5.35am. I think he would have slept at least another hour if it hadn't been for that! Hoping for a repeat performance tonight - of the sleeping, not the power cut. ;)

I hope he'll sleep through the night more often from now on :).

I can imagine that must have been difficult :(. It's good you've done it though as you feel it's the right thing to do.

Hello, friends! It's been too long. Sounds like everyone is getting along pretty well, and I'm feeling the same as some, not quite ready to get back to work. I am glad however that the new year has started, since that means the days are getting shorter and that spring is that much closer! :D

Noll, I'm so sorry you had to withdraw from your course. I understand how difficult something like that can be! I'm glad you are doing what you think is best for you, though.

Things are going along fine here in the frozen MN tundra. I just celebrated my 15th year of work at my company, so I've got an extra weeks worth of vacation coming to me this year which will be nice. I'm planning on a trip west to see family sometime this spring. It's been about 3 years since I was there so I think I'm due.

I wish all of you a wonderful and happy new year!

Happy New Year to you too! It's nice to see you again.

Isn't that such a relief when they start sleeping through the night?  I remember those first few well lol  Forgive me if you have said, but how old is he?

He'll be 15 months old on 10th January. :)

For the record, he hasn't repeated his amazing 9 hour stint, but he's getting better about going to sleep at a set bedtime and going back to sleep when he wakes in the night without us taking him out of his cot.  Slowly but surely - we're getting there! He no longer has any night feeds - the latest I'll nurse him is 10.30pm, but if he doesn't wake by then for a feed, then he stays in his cot. Last night he didn't wake till 11.30pm, so he didn't get a feed till after I did the school run this morning (Dale's day off, so they stayed in bed while Xan and I got up). He still has a nap during the day but I won't let him sleep longer than 2.5 hours and not after 3.30pm. He now also walks to and from school in the mornings (it's only 5 minutes away walking my regular speed, so it takes us about 10 minutes to get there when he's walking, coz he's just a tiny toddlepop!)  unless the weather is horrid (rain, high winds etc), in which case he's in the buggy. He holds hands beautifully and never tries to pull away, In fact, he complains when I carry him across the roads because he wants to just walk everywhere (just like his big brother at the same age!). We get a lot of people staring and pointing when they see us because he's SO tiny (he still wears a lot of 9-12 months stuff, and even has a few tops and pyjamas that are 6-9 months!) - he's only on about the 17th centile, so really titchy and still looks very babyish and choochie, so people see what they think is a tiny baby walking down the street - LOL! Right enough, he was walking at 9 months...

I'm sure you did the right thing even if it was hard to walk away from your course. It's much better to have realised it and left, than to have tried to finish it and felt miserable about carrying on.

Thanks for the support, guys :) Everyone has been pretty supportive (as in, friends and family), but I know some of them are disappointed. Errah.

I decided to book my ticket to Andrew McMahon. I'm pretty sure I can afford it comfortably - I just made 55 euro selling some ponies, and I think I have another 16 euro one being sold soon. Including the 150 euro I got for an art commission, I'm pretty sure I'm not actually going to touch any of my own money!

Flights are only going to be 50 euro return, which isn't too bad - but man the cost of getting into London, finding half-way decent accommodation without paying a small fortune, and getting around with cashless buses!!! :banghead:  Yes I can use the tube, but it's more expensive than buses would have been, had I the option of paying for the bus with cash (because I would need fewer buses than tubes to get to my destinations). I can get a day pass for the buses for £5, but I need buses on two days, so that's £10, and a visitors oyster card is only £13 - which is just the right amount to let me travel unlimited across all transport over two days. Might as well take the unlimited travel and use it to travel to some decent accommodation! :D

For the record, he hasn't repeated his amazing 9 hour stint, but he's getting better about going to sleep at a set bedtime and going back to sleep when he wakes in the night without us taking him out of his cot.  Slowly but surely - we're getting there! He no longer has any night feeds - the latest I'll nurse him is 10.30pm, but if he doesn't wake by then for a feed, then he stays in his cot. Last night he didn't wake till 11.30pm, so he didn't get a feed till after I did the school run this morning (Dale's day off, so they stayed in bed while Xan and I got up). He still has a nap during the day but I won't let him sleep longer than 2.5 hours and not after 3.30pm. He now also walks to and from school in the mornings (it's only 5 minutes away walking my regular speed, so it takes us about 10 minutes to get there when he's walking, coz he's just a tiny toddlepop!)  unless the weather is horrid (rain, high winds etc), in which case he's in the buggy. He holds hands beautifully and never tries to pull away, In fact, he complains when I carry him across the roads because he wants to just walk everywhere (just like his big brother at the same age!). We get a lot of people staring and pointing when they see us because he's SO tiny (he still wears a lot of 9-12 months stuff, and even has a few tops and pyjamas that are 6-9 months!) - he's only on about the 17th centile, so really titchy and still looks very babyish and choochie, so people see what they think is a tiny baby walking down the street - LOL! Right enough, he was walking at 9 months...

It's so great to hear about him :). I don't want children myself (well, I couldn't, either) but I do like reading or hearing about them, from others. 

I decided to book my ticket to Andrew McMahon. I'm pretty sure I can afford it comfortably - I just made 55 euro selling some ponies, and I think I have another 16 euro one being sold soon. Including the 150 euro I got for an art commission, I'm pretty sure I'm not actually going to touch any of my own money!

Flights are only going to be 50 euro return, which isn't too bad - but man the cost of getting into London, finding half-way decent accommodation without paying a small fortune, and getting around with cashless buses!!! :banghead:  Yes I can use the tube, but it's more expensive than buses would have been, had I the option of paying for the bus with cash (because I would need fewer buses than tubes to get to my destinations). I can get a day pass for the buses for £5, but I need buses on two days, so that's £10, and a visitors oyster card is only £13 - which is just the right amount to let me travel unlimited across all transport over two days. Might as well take the unlimited travel and use it to travel to some decent accommodation! :D

I hope you have fun on your trip :)!

I had my dentist appointment this morning, and gladly everything was fine (some cleaning done)! I'm so happy about that. I always get really stressed for the dentist, so I'm really glad it's over again now for half a year.

Getting the house ready for the cold. When I woke up this morning it was sunny but it has since turned a true wintery gray. For those of us in the southern parts of the US, we aren't use to the single digit temps. I'm so I glad I don't have to do those early morning shifts.

I'll be going through my beading supplies and doing some lists of things to do. Not much else planned today.

For the record, he hasn't repeated his amazing 9 hour stint, but he's getting better about going to sleep at a set bedtime and going back to sleep when he wakes in the night without us taking him out of his cot.  Slowly but surely - we're getting there! He no longer has any night feeds - the latest I'll nurse him is 10.30pm, but if he doesn't wake by then for a feed, then he stays in his cot.

I'm the 8th  :smile:   And respect to you for nursing!  In the US it isn't that common at all.  Nursing was probably the hardest thing I've done!  15 months is such a cute age, but walking at 9 months- wow! 

Thank you, Anna. :) It's not particularly common in the UK these days either. We have our little breastfeeding groups, but so many people have difficulties and give up, even if they don't particularly want to stop. I trained as a breastfeeding peer supporter last year to try and help other Mums who want to breastfeed. With Xander I had dreadful problems as he is tonguetied and had the most awful problems latching as a result, but Josh has been an absolute dream for feeding from day one - he nursed for the first time within about 5 minutes of delivery (it was an emergency c-section and I was feeding him while still on the table!). With Xan I went through mastitis and thrush, as well as cracked nips (very painful), but I've been lucky with Josh. I felt that if I could use my experiences to help other Mums who want to try breastfeeding, then it was my duty to give them all the help and encouragement I possibly could. I don't see many Mums breastfeeding in public in my area, even though there are several local breastfeeding groups, but I'll feed Josh wherever and whenever he wants/needs it. I feel it's important to do that to help normalise nursing and help future generations see it as natural and nothing to be embarrassed about. Xander is a total breastfeeding advocate (at 6 years old - LOL!) and says he thinks "milky snuggles" are a lovely way to show a baby how much you love them. When he puts it like that, you have to agree. He likes to cuddle with us both while Josh nurses. :)

Sounds like you're going to have a blast, Noll, and it must feel good to get all the arrangements taken care of!

Good luck with the cold, Virginia! It barely reached 0 here today (as the high!) so I worked from home. It makes us appreciate the warmer temps that much more.

I'm the 8th  :smile:   And respect to you for nursing!  In the US it isn't that common at all.  Nursing was probably the hardest thing I've done!  15 months is such a cute age, but walking at 9 months- wow!

Happy Birthday today, Anna :D!!

Thank you, Anna. :) It's not particularly common in the UK these days either. We have our little breastfeeding groups, but so many people have difficulties and give up, even if they don't particularly want to stop. I trained as a breastfeeding peer supporter last year to try and help other Mums who want to breastfeed. With Xander I had dreadful problems as he is tonguetied and had the most awful problems latching as a result, but Josh has been an absolute dream for feeding from day one - he nursed for the first time within about 5 minutes of delivery (it was an emergency c-section and I was feeding him while still on the table!). With Xan I went through mastitis and thrush, as well as cracked nips (very painful), but I've been lucky with Josh. I felt that if I could use my experiences to help other Mums who want to try breastfeeding, then it was my duty to give them all the help and encouragement I possibly could. I don't see many Mums breastfeeding in public in my area, even though there are several local breastfeeding groups, but I'll feed Josh wherever and whenever he wants/needs it. I feel it's important to do that to help normalise nursing and help future generations see it as natural and nothing to be embarrassed about. Xander is a total breastfeeding advocate (at 6 years old - LOL!) and says he thinks "milky snuggles" are a lovely way to show a baby how much you love them. When he puts it like that, you have to agree. He likes to cuddle with us both while Josh nurses. :)

I'm glad you've been quite lucky with Josh. Xander sounds so cute too! I personally have always thought that it's good to breastfeed a baby, as opposed to giving it the bottled milk, because the mother's milk contains a lot of good things for the baby. 

Today I plan to spend some more time in my old room / my library / with my books :).

Booked my flight and accommodation for the gig in Feb - staying at a seemingly nice little hotel thing which is in King's Cross! We're totally gonna go see Platform 9 3/4 :D I genuinely didn't even register the 'King's Cross' bit as anything more than 'a convenient distance between the aircoach drop-off and the venue' til I suggested it to my friend and she practically exploded haha.

In other news, today I must go into the social welfare office and tell them I've stopped doing my course, which I'm dreading. I also have to post off ponies to my buyer in the states, and post a birthday card to my dad. I should have posted it to him yesterday, as his birthday is today, but I already had to go into town for the other stuff TODAY... so I left it :blush2:

I just booked myself onto a 9-week course of ballroom and Latin American dancing for beginners which starts at the end of the month. I am so excited I can hardly wait to begin! I figured it might be a fun way to increase my fitness and help shed a few pounds. :)

Booked my flight and accommodation for the gig in Feb - staying at a seemingly nice little hotel thing which is in King's Cross! We're totally gonna go see Platform 9 3/4 :D I genuinely didn't even register the 'King's Cross' bit as anything more than 'a convenient distance between the aircoach drop-off and the venue' til I suggested it to my friend and she practically exploded haha.

In other news, today I must go into the social welfare office and tell them I've stopped doing my course, which I'm dreading. I also have to post off ponies to my buyer in the states, and post a birthday card to my dad. I should have posted it to him yesterday, as his birthday is today, but I already had to go into town for the other stuff TODAY... so I left it :blush2:

I hope the visit to the office will go okay. Happy Birthday to your dad!

I just booked myself onto a 9-week course of ballroom and Latin American dancing for beginners which starts at the end of the month. I am so excited I can hardly wait to begin! I figured it might be a fun way to increase my fitness and help shed a few pounds. :)

I hope you have a lot of fun :)!

I spent quite a bit of time today with my books, I scanned some of their ISBNs. I'm tired now from all the input and from carrying books around! I hope to do some more tomorrow :). It was fun to see my books again and to spend time with them.

I spent quite a bit of time today with my books, I scanned some of their ISBNs. I'm tired now from all the input and from carrying books around! I hope to do some more tomorrow :). It was fun to see my books again and to spend time with them.

Ooh, so much fun! I know what you mean about it being fun to just spend time with your books. :D

Sounds like a lot of fun  :smile:

Thank you, Anna. :) It's not particularly common in the UK these days either. We have our little breastfeeding groups, but so many people have difficulties and give up, even if they don't particularly want to stop. I trained as a breastfeeding peer supporter last year to try and help other Mums who want to breastfeed. With Xander I had dreadful problems as he is tonguetied and had the most awful problems latching as a result, but Josh has been an absolute dream for feeding from day one - he nursed for the first time within about 5 minutes of delivery (it was an emergency c-section and I was feeding him while still on the table!). With Xan I went through mastitis and thrush, as well as cracked nips (very painful), but I've been lucky with Josh.

That is so awesome!  I had great hospital support- so rare.  I had one nurse (lactation consultant), that when P was in ICU for 3 days with Jaundice, she would take my BM and put it on P's gums!  It was a really great experience, and I would do it a million times, but wow its a lot of work.  And I didn't have ANY problems... I am so sorry to hear about your struggles, but really admire you for sticking to it and helping others too. 

And have fun dancin'!  :smile:

Happy Birthday today, Anna :D!!

Aw!  Thanks!  I'm too old :blush2:

Edited by Anna Begins

The kiddos are visiting their parents so its me and the hubby. After his home visit with a Veterans Affairs rep we'll swing by the VA hospital to take care of some business and then hit up our fabulous library to do some job search and plug into the various resources. We can't do this with all the kids. Then its back home to relax and putter around, gotta keep the entertaining to a minimum. Thank God for lots of books, internet, television and crafty things around the house! Got all the housework done so this weekend looks really relaxing.

We celebrated my mum's birthday this past weekend. There were some visitors, though not everyone was there (but that's okay!). It was quite busy, though I enjoyed seeing those people again (my family).

I also spent some time in the city with my dad, on Saturday, he bought gifts for my mum and we went to the market and did other shopping (I bought a few books and DVDs at the charity shop and I went to the library, for example). We had a great time together, though I was very tired after it.

I've also been busy ISBN scanning my books. It's been so much fun spending more time with my books. Today I'm going to try and rest (and catch up with the forum and such), I deserve it after all that I'd like to think.

Its a full time job searching for a job. The idea of rebuilding my resume, doing interviews and filling out applications is daunting. Spent a few hours at the local library and got frustrated. I walked out the house without my earphones. Never again (assuming I utilize the facilities for job searching again). One woman was completely clueless! The phone rang constantly and she had no idea that she should have put the thing on silent before sitting down and if she felt the need to answer it, to get up and GO AWAY. Ugh! At one point the cow actually called someone to bring her FOOD! I packed it in and called it a day. I will do my searches from home. I got a few really good resume building books and I have the websites of all the places I want to apply to. When I get the resume built, I'll have someone look at it and help me polish it. No more public places for me! I've got my printer and fax at home so yeah, I'll just venture out only when I have to.

Good luck with it, Virginia!

Yesterday I mainly tried to rest, I was pretty tired (though I did watch a film). Today I plan to rest some more (since.. tiredness.). I also will have a phone appointment with my psychiatrist about my medication later today. Hopefully he will phone, at the agreed time. It's happened before where he forgot :blush2:. But I hope it will go well!