pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heh :D  Thanks, Gaia.  I'll list them later, it's 50-odd books, so it'll take a while.  :roll:  One night when I have more energy I'll post the list.

In the meantime though, I have received The Incredible Shrinking Man

and......

Mary and O'Neil by Justin Cronin

The Brethren by Robert Merle

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

Robert Merle is the author of one of my very favorite, all time favorite books, Malevil.   The Brethren is first in a series of 13 books he wrote that are just being translated to English.  :011:

Last Sunday was the last day of the New Orleans Symphony Book Fair.  We finally made it over there, the weather was atrocious.  Wasn't so bad till we were about a mile away, in unfamiliar territory, and it started to absolutely pour.  Sheets of rain tearing down.  We missed the last turn, and went a couple of miles past.....finally realized our error.  Went back and miraculously, the rain stopped, and we acquired an excellent parking place.  Right in front of the front door!!  Amazing! 

Anyhow, 6 large canvas bags later we staggered out of the place. :readingtwo:

It was fun! :angel_not:

Wow ! Congrats on the new books !  :D

I do prefer extreme weather to the usual UK blahness we seem to get ( though we`ve had rain pelting down the last couple of nights, which has been lovely ). 

I loved Fringe when it aired, and just finished watching S3 of Longmire here ( glad to see that Netflix ( ?) has decided to buy the show to make more episodes ).  :smile:

heh :D  Thanks, Gaia.  I'll list them later, it's 50-odd books, so it'll take a while.  :roll:  One night when I have more energy I'll post the list.

In the meantime though, I have received The Incredible Shrinking Man

and......

Mary and O'Neil by Justin Cronin

The Brethren by Robert Merle

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

Robert Merle is the author of one of my very favorite, all time favorite books, Malevil.   The Brethren is first in a series of 13 books he wrote that are just being translated to English.  :011:

I can imagine it will take a while to make the list! I look forward to see it, but definitely take your time :).

Congratulations on receiving those books :D! It's very exciting that series is being translated now :).

Here is a partial list of recently acquired books.  The majority are from the Symphony Book Fair, but a handful are "new-secondhand".  One actually new (Seveneves).

Chess Story by Stefan Zweig

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos

The Last Word: A Spellman Novel by Lisa Lutz

The Romanovs, The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

Never Victorious, Never Defeated by Taylor Caldwell

The Blue and The Gray by  Henry Steele Commanger

The Green Mile by Stephen King

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Vodka by Boris Starling

Tropical Freeze by James W. Hall

Mother Tongue: English by Bill Bryson

Mr. Ives Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos

The Double by George Pelecanos

The Overlook by Michael Connelly

The Reversal by Michael Connelly

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

Inferno: The World At War 1939-1945  by Max Hastings

Man on Earth by John Reader

Wet Work by Christopher Buckley

The Steel Spring by Per Wahloo

Flashman and The Mountain of Light by George MacDonald Fraser

Wednesday's Child by Peter Robinson

The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud

The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud

War Trash by Ha Jin

ha ha we did Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in High School, its pretty funny (you've seen the movie, I assume?).  I loved The Green Mile and Mr. Mercedes was good too (if you liked 11/22/63, you will probably like Mr. Mercedes as well).  I hope you like Pigs in Heaven, its one of the books that got me reading again in my late teens/ early 20's.  I didn't get on with the Hastings though, hopefully you'll like it more than I did (I talked a bit about it in the What are you reading thread).

The Green Mile by Stephen King  5/5

It's most likely that anyone that investigates the reviews for The Green Mile will be familiar either with this particular novel's storyline, or Stephen King's work in general. So I won't say too much about the story. Instead, I'd like to tell of the feelings the story and writing engendered within me. The story made me laugh out loud, shed some tears, and cringe. Sometimes all in the same paragraph.

I was completely taken in by King's method of writing. Somewhat stream of consciousness, partially straightforward telling with some easy to take magical realism thrown in for good measure. Now, in general, I am not a fan of magic realism, but this was told in such an up-front, factual manner, it was as though the narrator was relating facts, not anything magical. The narrator knows and readily admits that no one would ever believe him, but presents the facts as he has seen them with his own two eyes. King knows how to turn a phrase. The combination of violence, vulgarity with a dose of elegance is best shown by this particular quote.

Page 44 in the paperback.
The year before, when a prisoner had rushed him in the exercise yard with a shank whittled out of a crate-slat, Moores had stood his ground, grabbed the skatehound's wrist, and had twisted it so hard that the snapping bones had sounded like dry twigs burning in a hot fire. The skatehound, all his grievances forgotten, had gone down on his knees in the dirt and began screaming for his mother. "I'm not her," Moores said in his cultured Southern voice, "but if I was, I'd raise up my skirts and wee on you from the loins that gave you birth."

The narrator, one Paul Edgecombe, is the "chief screw" aka head of the Death Row section in this prison. The year is 1932, he is a realist, and the prison is waaay out in the rural section of Mississippi. He is not someone that believes in what he cannot see.

The book was written in serial form, 6 sections released between March and August of 1996, with the complete novel being released the following year. King's method of reminding the reader of what went before is subtly done and not a bit heavy handed. In the copy I have the Introduction and Foreword are, in themselves, worth the price of admission.

Highly Recommended.

I've just been catching up on your thread.  :blush2:

Like many other forum members, I've added The Quiet Earth to my wishlist. :)

Well, I think that someone that hasn't read the book would have a better chance of enjoying the TV series.  The thing that happened at the end of Season 2. Episode 1 was just more than I wanted to explore.  It was almost like a whole new series, with a new set of characters.  And I didn't like 'em. :D

I haven't read Under the Dome yet, but I watched the first couple of seasons of the show. I quite enjoyed it. I'll be continuing on with it when season 3 starts later this month.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

I really enjoyed Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and Seveneves sounds like a great read. I look forward to your thoughts.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Green Mile. I've always wanted to read it and read more Stephen King, non horror. Wonder if it's anything like movie? Have you seen it? I know the movie brought out a lot of the same emotions you mentioned. 

I'm glad you really enjoyed this book :)! I haven't read this book yet, though I do have it on my shelf.

Thanks, Gaia.  It's an easy read, although a few parts are difficult to take. But they are written in an almost......softening style that is easier to take.

Ah- I'm glad you liked it, sounds like as much as I did  :)  Its a gem.

It is! 

Great review - must read this soon!

Must. Read. Faster.

Thanks!  Yes, me too!! :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:

I've just been catching up on your thread.  :blush2:

Like many other forum members, I've added The Quiet Earth to my wishlist. :)

I haven't read Under the Dome yet, but I watched the first couple of seasons of the show. I quite enjoyed it. I'll be continuing on with it when season 3 starts later this month.

I really enjoyed Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and Seveneves sounds like a great read. I look forward to your thoughts.

Glad to see ya! :friends3:

I'm glad you've enjoyed the tv show....I think if I hadn't read the book, I'd have liked it more.  Although my husband didn't care for the turn of events either.  So, it all boils down to the fact that we all like different things. 

VIVE LA DIFFÉRENCE !!  :D

I'm glad you enjoyed The Green Mile. I've always wanted to read it and read more Stephen King, non horror. Wonder if it's anything like movie? Have you seen it? I know the movie brought out a lot of the same emotions you mentioned. 

Thanks. :)  No, I haven't seen the film, although I will definitely in the future.  From the little I've heard as to comparisons to the book, I understand it is quite close.

I've been a bit stalled the last week or so in my reading.  I began The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.  And, as much as I hate to say it, it's boring.  At least I have found it to be so.  Yes.  The writing is excellent, but extremely flat and yada, yada, yada.  The blandness is just too bland, and the dialogue too low key.  This is unusual for me, as I usually find books that many others boring to be wonderfully poetic and almost musical in their essence. 

This book, ain't that.  :(  Not IMO at any rate.  Of course, I'll pick it up again in a year or so and may LOVE it.  :roll:  Who knows? :D

So, then I turned to my iPad/kindle app and found that I'd started a book a while back called The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald.  /sigh/  I think there is the real making of a very sweet and probably interesting story there.  But there are too many disconnects for me and I'm finding it extremely difficult to follow the characters.  So, again, I put it aside.

Now.  Last night I read the bulk of the life-changing magic of tidying up, the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing by Marie Kondo.

Very sorry, although I did read lots more, she really lost me with her section on Storing books, page 86. 

Get rid of books??  Really??  I really hate to tell the lady, but books are not clutter.  But I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.  And, yes.  There are really reasons to get rid of books and those reasons are as varied as the people that own them.  HOWEVER.  To just rid oneself of read or unread books seems such a waste, and downright mean.

I did really like her take on reasons for giving away/getting rid of things......and it is that if an object does not 'give you joy', ditch it.  I suppose that is the real disconnect regarding books.  They give me joy. :D

I loved the article on clutter that Little Pixie posted on her thread, it sums up my feelings beautifully.  And is very anti-'getting rid of'!  Hurrah! :cool:

Edited by pontalba

Oh dear, a few duds recently :( Hope you stumble upon an awesome read soon :)

My books are, I suppose, *technically* clutter, but it's a kind of clutter I like! I've never even understood people who can read a book and then just give it away (usually resulting in bags of books on a regular basis being distributed among friends or charities - great for the charities of course, but so much money on things read once and then discarded)  - let alone giving away unread books! Unread books are the perfect solution to a rainy day, and solutions can't be clutter! :lol:

Now.  Last night I read the bulk of the life-changing magic of tidying up, the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing by Marie Kondo.

Very sorry, although I did read lots more, she really lost me with her section on Storing books, page 86. 

Get rid of books??  Really??  I really hate to tell the lady, but books are not clutter.  But I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.  And, yes.  There are really reasons to get rid of books and those reasons are as varied as the people that own them.  HOWEVER.  To just rid oneself of read or unread books seems such a waste, and downright mean.

I did really like her take on reasons for giving away/getting rid of things......and it is that if an object does not 'give you joy', ditch it.  I suppose that is the real disconnect regarding books.  They give me joy. :D

I loved the article on clutter that Little Pixie posted on her thread, it sums up my feelings beautifully.  And is very anti-'getting rid of'!  Hurrah! :cool:

Yep, I had issues with Marie Kondo`s idea of books as somehow disposable ( I almost think of them as pets.  :blush2:  I said almost.  ;)  :giggle2: ) I did find some good tips though;  it`s just the idea of putting them into practice, and I find I decide to read books instead as either avoidance or as a way of kidding myself that I`ll get rid of ones really didn`t like and that will declutter the house. 

Is you sideroom still decluttered ? I remember you had a big sort out recently.  :smile:

Oh ! And how is Charles ? And the cats ?  :D

I'm sorry to hear you read some not-so-very-good books lately :(. I hope one of your next reads will be nicer.

I fully agree with all of you, I love my books and the only ones I give away are ones that I've got doubles of, that I've lost interested in, or that I didn't like at all (and even then generally not often at all :P. I hate to part with my books). As long as I have the space, I love to have my books, they are my treasures. And even if I have little space, I'd put lots of books in it anyway :D. But I don't consider books clutter, ever. I know some people are minimalist and all that, I'm not. I love my books. Unread books are a great solution to a rainy day, Noll :D!

Oh dear, a few duds recently :( Hope you stumble upon an awesome read soon :)

My books are, I suppose, *technically* clutter, but it's a kind of clutter I like! I've never even understood people who can read a book and then just give it away (usually resulting in bags of books on a regular basis being distributed among friends or charities - great for the charities of course, but so much money on things read once and then discarded)  - let alone giving away unread books! Unread books are the perfect solution to a rainy day, and solutions can't be clutter! :lol:

Hah :D  I suppose though, that it's lucky for us that those people give away perfectly good books.  Otherwise we wouldn't find them at Library Sales, Estate Sales, Book Fairs, second hand stores......./giggle/

Yep, I had issues with Marie Kondo`s idea of books as somehow disposable ( I almost think of them as pets.  :blush2:  I said almost.  ;)  :giggle2: ) I did find some good tips though;  it`s just the idea of putting them into practice, and I find I decide to read books instead as either avoidance or as a way of kidding myself that I`ll get rid of ones really didn`t like and that will declutter the house. 

Is you sideroom still decluttered ? I remember you had a big sort out recently.  :smile:

Oh ! And how is Charles ? And the cats ?  :D

The short answer is.....mostly. :D  The room is 12 feet by 28 feet, and it's all clear, except for one corner that is about 3 by 4.  Those boxes have to go in another room.  Of course that room is stuffed to the gills with junque from the old house.  After all only moved up here 20 years ago...../much sighing/  But!  Eureka!  Tomorrow the carpenter is coming to install a new exterior door on that stuffed room, and I'll be able to have a good old clear out.  Finally. 

I'm not the pack rat.  Really.  My family is known far and wide for saving every blasted thing for the last 5 generations.  I'm weeding it out, and in the words of a friend will "be brutal"! 

We haven't moved the 6 bookcases out into the mostly cleared room, yet.  My back has been giving me trouble the last couple of weeks.  But I'm some better, and will strap on the back brace, and get out the book cart to move said books.

we bought this.....http://www.amazon.com/Raymond-V-Shaped-Resistant-Rubber-Wheels/dp/B004IARJDE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1434641167&sr=8-14&keywords=bookcart&pebp=1434641169167&perid=1QDK231S2SNKFJTP3TTB

We've used it for a lot of stuff, besides books already. 

Charles is great! He is reading up a storm, and working on some of his projects.

The cats are just as nutty as ever.  I've taken pics of them with the ipad, but have trouble transferring them to the desktop to post here.  Will work on solution.

I'm sorry to hear you read some not-so-very-good books lately :(. I hope one of your next reads will be nicer.

I fully agree with all of you, I love my books and the only ones I give away are ones that I've got doubles of, that I've lost interested in, or that I didn't like at all (and even then generally not often at all :P. I hate to part with my books). As long as I have the space, I love to have my books, they are my treasures. And even if I have little space, I'd put lots of books in it anyway :D. But I don't consider books clutter, ever. I know some people are minimalist and all that, I'm not. I love my books. Unread books are a great solution to a rainy day, Noll :D!

Thanks, Gaia.  Yup, the book I'm reading is a very good and twisty police procedural.  Good stuff!

That's right!  BOOKS ARE NOT CLUTTER!!

The short answer is.....mostly. :D  The room is 12 feet by 28 feet, and it's all clear, except for one corner that is about 3 by 4.  Those boxes have to go in another room.  Of course that room is stuffed to the gills with junque from the old house.  After all only moved up here 20 years ago...../much sighing/  But!  Eureka!  Tomorrow the carpenter is coming to install a new exterior door on that stuffed room, and I'll be able to have a good old clear out.  Finally. 

I'm not the pack rat.  Really.  My family is known far and wide for saving every blasted thing for the last 5 generations.  I'm weeding it out, and in the words of a friend will "be brutal"! 

We haven't moved the 6 bookcases out into the mostly cleared room, yet.  My back has been giving me trouble the last couple of weeks.  But I'm some better, and will strap on the back brace, and get out the book cart to move said books.

we bought this.....http://www.amazon.com/Raymond-V-Shaped-Resistant-Rubber-Wheels/dp/B004IARJDE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1434641167&sr=8-14&keywords=bookcart&pebp=1434641169167&perid=1QDK231S2SNKFJTP3TTB

Charles is great! He is reading up a storm, and working on some of his projects.

The cats are just as nutty as ever.  I've taken pics of them with the ipad, but have trouble transferring them to the desktop to post here.  Will work on solution.

Yikes, hope the back continues to improve. :empathy: There`s a design flaw with backs, as I well know.  :doh:

Good grief, I hadn`t realised the room was quite so capacious ; have you thought about turning the room into a Family Museum ?!  I`m beyond amused that you have a Book Dolly ( though it`s a sensible idea  :D  ) -  I rather want one of those library thingies with wheels which look like a hostess trolley. :smile: 

* excitement builds for release of cat pics *   :doowapstart:

I began The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.  And, as much as I hate to say it, it's boring.  At least I have found it to be so.  Yes.  The writing is excellent, but extremely flat and yada, yada, yada. 

Yup. It is so tedious!  :sleeping-smiley-009

The short answer is.....mostly. :D The room is 12 feet by 28 feet, and it's all clear, except for one corner that is about 3 by 4. Those boxes have to go in another room. Of course that room is stuffed to the gills with junque from the old house. After all only moved up here 20 years ago...../much sighing/ But! Eureka! Tomorrow the carpenter is coming to install a new exterior door on that stuffed room, and I'll be able to have a good old clear out. Finally.

I'm not the pack rat. Really. My family is known far and wide for saving every blasted thing for the last 5 generations. I'm weeding it out, and in the words of a friend will "be brutal"!

We haven't moved the 6 bookcases out into the mostly cleared room, yet. My back has been giving me trouble the last couple of weeks. But I'm some better, and will strap on the back brace, and get out the book cart to move said books.

The cats are just as nutty as ever. I've taken pics of them with the ipad, but have trouble transferring them to the desktop to post here. Will work on solution.

I'm glad you're making good progress. I'm sorry to hear about your back :(. That book cart looks useful! I'm glad Charles is doing well.

Seconded!

Yikes, hope the back continues to improve. :empathy: There`s a design flaw with backs, as I well know.  :doh:

Good grief, I hadn`t realised the room was quite so capacious ; have you thought about turning the room into a Family Museum ?!  I`m beyond amused that you have a Book Dolly ( though it`s a sensible idea  :D  ) -  I rather want one of those library thingies with wheels which look like a hostess trolley. :smile:

Thanks, it has, at least until I twist the wrong way, or automatically pick something up that I shouldn't. :roll:

Ice is absolute magic!  Ice and Tylenol. :)

LOL on the Family Museum.....nah, unfortunately the stuff isn't museum worthy, otherwise, I'd sell it.  :roll::D

Still struggling with pic.  Since I took the pic with my iPad, I sent it to myself, and for some idiotic reason when I right click on it within the email it won't save properly.  Finally I got it to "Photos", not the regular picture file.  /sigh/  Now I can't find it. /sigh :blush2:  /  Sometimes I really hate Windows 8 !!

I've seen those carts, and yes, they're lovely. :)

Yup. It is so tedious!  :sleeping-smiley-009

Love the snoozing emoticon! :D

I'm glad you're making good progress. I'm sorry to hear about your back :(. That book cart looks useful! I'm glad Charles is doing well.

Seconded!

Thanks, as mentioned above, thankfully, t's improved already. :) 

His First, His Second by A.D. Davis  4/5

Edgy and twisty, this is a police procedural that is far from typical. I have to say the characters surprised me several times with their non-typical courses of action they chose to pursue. This is definitely not a boilerplate detective story.

Interestingly the main protagonist does not appear right off the bat, and appears for the first time on page 15 (loc 206). The story is told by an omniscient narrator from at least 6 or 7 points of view. Granted some of the POV are brief, but there are 4 main points of view to follow. It is not confusing in the least, and makes the story even more interesting.

I don't think I'm giving anything away in mentioning that there are two serial killers on the loose, and their intersection is something I haven't seen before.

**Added in Edit:

Something else that recommends this story is the location of Leeds, England and the manner in which the author writes about it. I see by the bio here on Amazon, that he is from Leeds. Now, some authors that write about the places they live are *too* local and mention places and things that are obscure to the reader not from that area, or use local expressions that an American would not understand. This is definitely NOT the case here. Davis writes intimately, but not obscurely of the area.....IOW, I could follow it well. That was appreciated.

The pace is fast, the story twisty. Highly recommended.

Edited by pontalba