pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

I finished Ghost in the Machine by Ed James.  It's the first in a detective series about DI Cullen, near Edinburgh, Scotland.

The first half was kind of repetitive, but the second half really made up for it, and I'm looking forward to more in the series.

I'm about 30% through Patricia Highsmith's  The Cry of the Owl.  Good, but a bit predictable. 

Your mojo seems to be sitting right there with you at the moment Kate.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have now watched the first season and the first ep of the second season of Under the Dome.  Not watching more.  I thought the first season was good, although it certainly deviates from the book.  Keeping the skeleton of the book, and fleshing it out with "other" stuff.  But I didn't like the direction the second season was taking, so I've taken it off our list to watch.  If you watch into the second season, let me know how it impresses you.

That's about the point that we stopped watching as well.

I'm about 30% through Patricia Highsmith's  The Cry of the Owl.  Good, but a bit predictable.

I own this book, bought it as a school book package many years ago, the same that Nevil Shute - On the Beach was in. I've never got around to read this one from that package, I look forward to hear your thoughts on it. I can't remember what it is about at the moment :blush2:.

IMO, Fringe leaves Under the Dome in the dust. :)  They always had a new twist to the stories.

Really??  And Season 2 isn't very good?  That's terrible!  I wonder if my perception will be different since I haven't read the book.  I will let you know.  I was going to take some episodes on the trip with me, but now everyone is into it, so I can't watch it on my own :giggle2:

I own this book, bought it as a school book package many years ago, the same that Nevil Shute - On the Beach was in. I've never got around to read this one from that package, I look forward to hear your thoughts on it. I can't remember what it is about at the moment :blush2:.

Actually, I've put it aside.  Basically it's about a seemingly "innocent" stalker being stalked.....and then there is a twist.  The Wiki article I read confirmed what I'd thought and let another happening out of the bag, so I've thrown the towel in for the time being.

Really??  And Season 2 isn't very good?  That's terrible!  I wonder if my perception will be different since I haven't read the book.  I will let you know.  I was going to take some episodes on the trip with me, but now everyone is into it, so I can't watch it on my own :giggle2:

Well, I think that someone that hasn't read the book would have a better chance of enjoying the TV series.  The thing that happened at the end of Season 2. Episode 1 was just more than I wanted to explore.  It was almost like a whole new series, with a new set of characters.  And I didn't like 'em. :D

Actually, I've put it aside.  Basically it's about a seemingly "innocent" stalker being stalked.....and then there is a twist.  The Wiki article I read confirmed what I'd thought and let another happening out of the bag, so I've thrown the towel in for the time being.

Ah okay, I hope your next read will be more to your liking :). I have had the book for many years and since it came with the package (bought for me, I mainly wanted On the Beach), I'm not too bothered if it's not that great. Maybe I'll read it some day, but I'm not about to make it a priority :).

Jumping back a bit but, I loved the first season of Fringe. I thought after that it just went off the wall, and I don't think I ever finished it. But the first season is still worth a watch anyway.

Lamentation by C.J. Sansom 4.5/5

Matthew Shardlake, a lawyer in the time of King Henry VIII is a "crookback". In earlier books in this series he was attached to Thomas Cromwell and managed to escape with his life when Cromwell fell from Henry's graces. Ever since he has pretty much stayed out of trouble, and away from anything to do with Henry or his Court. But Henry's last wife, Catherine Parr needs his help and Matthew must rally to her assistance.

Catherine has written a book, 'Lamentations of A Sinner', a book that could be considered heretical and she could be burned at the stake for it. The only hand-written manuscript of it has disappeared from it's secure lockbox. There are factions that would use it against Catherine and some that would publish it to further their Protestant cause. But, no matter what, it must not reach Henry's hands.

The political machinations of Henry's court are staggering, dwarfing anything in modern times. These people are not simply two-faced, they are treble faced, several times over. It's practically impossible to know who is on what side. In fact there are spies upon spies and double traitors.
Matthew must make his way through this labyrinth without losing his own life, or the life of those he holds dear.

Sansom ratchets the tension until the very last pages of the book.

I must add that these events are totally based in historical fact. Catherine did really write such a manuscript, but it was not stolen. The surrounding historical events are true, the historical personages mentioned were real people. Sansom makes the reader feel the terrible fear that all classes of people felt at that religiously divisive time in history. Neighbors reporting on each other, families torn apart, the hunger and poverty are felt by the reader.

Recommended.

No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay  4/5

14 year-old Cynthia Bigge has a huge fight with her parents after being out way past her school night curfew. Completely unused to drinking alcohol, she falls into a deep slumber. When she awakens the next morning for school, she finds the house empty, parents and older brother gone, no trace whatsoever. No trace....at all. Our story picks up 25 years later when a "Dateline-like" television news magazine runs her story. That's when things start happening. Strange sightings, voices heard, peculiar phone calls begin to erode Cynthia's mental state.

Barclay keeps the tension going all throughout the story, with it's many twists and turns. It's a toss up as to who can be trusted, and who should not. Old alliances and red herrings abound, most successfully.

The reader may think they know what is going on, but the truth is a little more complicated than you think.

Recommended.

Great review! You make the books sound so interesting :). I'm glad you enjoyed it. I feel the author's name is familiar to me, I wonder if I've maybe read something by him / her before, or perhaps read a review from someone :P.

Thanks, Gaia! :). I appreciate that.

Someone, indeed! :D

I can't find it, but awhile back there was a discussion debating the merits of a literary prize for women only. AKA the Orange, or as it's known now, the Bailey prize. I ran across this article on the NYT today.

Interesting and telling thought processes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/books/review/does-an-award-like-the-baileys-womens-prize-for-fiction-help-or-hurt-the-cause-of-women-writers.html?emc=edit_bk_20150529&nl=books&nlid=28874140&_r=0

Edited by pontalba

Linwood Barclay does write pretty compelling stories. He does have a great knack with the red herrings - just when you think you have worked out what's happening it all gets twisted around. Great review Pontalba.  :smile:

Yes, they are similar in the way they are able to ratchet up the tension in a few paragraphs. 

I should get hold of a Barclay or Coben to read soon, it has been a while since I read on the edge of my seat.  :smile:

Hi Kate, I don't often see many books on your thread that I have read or have on my TBR piles and wish list but I do have Harry August.. Something about it appealed to me, hopefully my Book Box will offer it up soon! Great review. ;)

Thanks chaliepud! :)

I loved Harry, he was such a gem! I want to read her next story, but the kindle edition is more than I will pay for one, so I'll be patient....../sigh/ :D

Thanks chaliepud! :)

I loved Harry, he was such a gem! I want to read her next story, but the kindle edition is more than I will pay for one, so I'll be patient....../sigh/ :D

Is that Touch? I just looked it up on Amazon and it sounds very interesting! The paperback is out at the end of August so I may well think about it then. Thanks for the info. :)

Is that Touch? I just looked it up on Amazon and it sounds very interesting! The paperback is out at the end of August so I may well think about it then. Thanks for the info. :)

Yes!  I read the first part in an excerpt after Harry August, it's really interesting, grabs you right away!  I've put it on my wishlist on Amazon. 

I can't find it, but awhile back there was a discussion debating the merits of a literary prize for women only. AKA the Orange, or as it's known now, the Bailey prize. I ran across this article on the NYT today.

Interesting and telling thought processes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/books/review/does-an-award-like-the-baileys-womens-prize-for-fiction-help-or-hurt-the-cause-of-women-writers.html?emc=edit_bk_20150529&nl=books&nlid=28874140&_r=0

That is interesting :).

Lamentation by C.J. Sansom 4.5/5

Matthew Shardlake, a lawyer in the time of King Henry VIII is a "crookback". In earlier books in this series he was attached to Thomas Cromwell and managed to escape with his life when Cromwell fell from Henry's graces. Ever since he has pretty much stayed out of trouble, and away from anything to do with Henry or his Court. But Henry's last wife, Catherine Parr needs his help and Matthew must rally to her assistance.

Catherine has written a book, 'Lamentations of A Sinner', a book that could be considered heretical and she could be burned at the stake for it. The only hand-written manuscript of it has disappeared from it's secure lockbox. There are factions that would use it against Catherine and some that would publish it to further their Protestant cause. But, no matter what, it must not reach Henry's hands.

The political machinations of Henry's court are staggering, dwarfing anything in modern times. These people are not simply two-faced, they are treble faced, several times over. It's practically impossible to know who is on what side. In fact there are spies upon spies and double traitors.

Matthew must make his way through this labyrinth without losing his own life, or the life of those he holds dear.

Sansom ratchets the tension until the very last pages of the book.

I must add that these events are totally based in historical fact. Catherine did really write such a manuscript, but it was not stolen. The surrounding historical events are true, the historical personages mentioned were real people. Sansom makes the reader feel the terrible fear that all classes of people felt at that religiously divisive time in history. Neighbors reporting on each other, families torn apart, the hunger and poverty are felt by the reader.

Recommended.

Oh cool, I'd been trying to decide whether or not I wanted to read this.  I wasn't a fan of Heartstone (the last third of it, in particular) and thought maybe the series had run out of steam.

Oh cool, I'd been trying to decide whether or not I wanted to read this.  I wasn't a fan of Heartstone (the last third of it, in particular) and thought maybe the series had run out of steam.

Lamentation was slow in starting, and the first part was a bit repetitive.  But the rest of it made up for it, imo. 

I wondered how, or even "if" Sansom would continue the series after Henry's death, but there is a nice segue at the end.  So, time will tell. :)

Last Sunday was the last day of the New Orleans Symphony Book Fair.  We finally made it over there, the weather was atrocious.  Wasn't so bad till we were about a mile away, in unfamiliar territory, and it started to absolutely pour.  Sheets of rain tearing down.  We missed the last turn, and went a couple of miles past.....finally realized our error.  Went back and miraculously, the rain stopped, and we acquired an excellent parking place.  Right in front of the front door!!  Amazing! 

Anyhow, 6 large canvas bags later we staggered out of the place. :readingtwo:

It was fun! :angel_not: