pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

I loved Moon, and have Primer on my "to watch" list on Amazon. :)

Primer is fantastic. It's low budget, no special effects, but it'll mess with your head the first time you watch it. One of my all time favourite films

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yikes, Louisiana`s leading the news here - how awful. :(

I know.  Too close to home for comfort.  Not that close, but you know what I mean. 

Apparently the shooter has had problems with violent behavior for many years.  I haven't read that much about it, only the local news.  Lafayette isn't right next door, it's about a two hour drive west of us.  But it really makes one wary about any public places. 

I remember an incident over in Texas about 20 years ago.  A guy walked into a cafeteria like restaurant and started shooting the place up.  In fact....lemme google.....  here it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_shooting

Believe me, ever since then, I know where all the exits are wherever we go.

Well, I've finished a couple of books in the last few days.

The genre bending The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell was an extremely interesting, but not riveting story.  Mitchell's prose is absolutely gorgeous and some of the most beautifully descriptive prose I've encountered.  The book is divided into sections, with the first and last being exclusively dedicated to the main protagonist, Holly Sykes.  The middle sections are devoted to satellite characters that are or become important in her life course. 

There is magic, magic realism, and "straight" story telling and it does, eventually, tie up beautifully.  

I just wish the story had been a bit more cohesive.  It could have done with some editing, IMO.  But I still am able to unequivocally recommend The Bone Clocks. :)  4/5

Then there is Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz.  It's the second in the Arthur Conan Doyle approved series about Sherlock Holmes. Horowitz writes the story in a somewhat "Conan Doyle" style.  IOW, somewhat dry and factually told.  The story picks up at the famous Reichenbach Falls incident where Moriarty and Holmes presumably went over the edge and died.  It is told from a Pinkerton detectives point of view that is visiting England in order to find and arrest an American gangster that has attempted to join and/or take over Moriarty's criminal empire.  The first half of the story is rather too dry and a bit too detail oriented for my taste.  It picks up in the second half though, with some amazing action toward the end.  There is a twist towards the end that I found disturbing.  All in all, I'd rate it a 3.5/5.

I also ran across a novella by Louse Penny, The Hangman.  Somehow it was on my kindle.....not sure how that happened.  :angel_not:  

Read it in less than an hour, but have to say it was well done and up to Penny's (former) usual standards.  Good mystery, good detective work.

The genre bending The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell was an extremely interesting, but not riveting story.  Mitchell's prose is absolutely gorgeous and some of the most beautifully descriptive prose I've encountered.  The book is divided into sections, with the first and last being exclusively dedicated to the main protagonist, Holly Sykes.  The middle sections are devoted to satellite characters that are or become important in her life course. 

There is magic, magic realism, and "straight" story telling and it does, eventually, tie up beautifully.  

I just wish the story had been a bit more cohesive.  It could have done with some editing, IMO.  But I still am able to unequivocally recommend The Bone Clocks. :)  4/5

I have tried to read David Mitchell a few times, but something about his style does not draw me in. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. :smile:

I've wanted to read Bone Clocks for awhile now... the magical realism puts me off.  I think it was actually something you said about it that enlightened me to the fact that one element in books I don't like is "Magical Realism" :giggle2:  :hide:

I know.  Too close to home for comfort.  Not that close, but you know what I mean. 

Apparently the shooter has had problems with violent behavior for many years.  I haven't read that much about it, only the local news.  Lafayette isn't right next door, it's about a two hour drive west of us.  But it really makes one wary about any public places. 

I remember an incident over in Texas about 20 years ago.  A guy walked into a cafeteria like restaurant and started shooting the place up.  In fact....lemme google.....  here it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_shooting

Oof, that`s dreadful. :(

That`s good advice to be aware of exits ; around the same time, we had IRA bombs in our tiny town. No-one injured thankfully. 

Edited by Little Pixie

I also ran across a novella by Louse Penny, The Hangman.  Somehow it was on my kindle.....not sure how that happened.  :angel_not:  

Read it in less than an hour, but have to say it was well done and up to Penny's (former) usual standards.  Good mystery, good detective work.

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up ; I hadn`t heard of that one. It`s on Amazon for £1.91 atm, which I think is too many for a novella ( especially considering a lot of my book recently have come used from the US for all of £2.81  ;) ). Shall keep an eye on the price.  :smile:

I remember an incident over in Texas about 20 years ago.  A guy walked into a cafeteria like restaurant and started shooting the place up.  In fact....lemme google.....  here it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting

I'm so sorry :(.

I have tried to read David Mitchell a few times, but something about his style does not draw me in. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. :smile:

Thanks. :)  I have authors like that, just can't manage to like.  :)

I have only read his Cloud Atlas and now this one, Bone Clocks.  I understand many of his characters overlap books.  I love that concept, and it makes me want to read more of him. 

I've wanted to read Bone Clocks for awhile now... the magical realism puts me off.  I think it was actually something you said about it that enlightened me to the fact that one element in books I don't like is "Magical Realism" :giggle2:  :hide:

Well, you know.....I wonder if it really is "magic realism".  It isn't like Marquez, or even Rushdie...not that sort of "magic". 

The bit I was referring to was more "magic is real". 

If that makes any sort of sense. :D  I don't like Marquez, or Rushdie, or the guy whose name I can't remember right now...Bone Clocks was different.  It demanded more a "suspension of disbelief" in the last section.

Oof, that`s dreadful. :(

That`s good advice to be aware of exits ; around the same time, we had IRA bombs in our tiny town. No-one injured thankfully. 

:(  That had to be dreadful. 

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up ; I hadn`t heard of that one. It`s on Amazon for £1.91 atm, which I think is too many for a novella ( especially considering a lot of my book recently have come used from the US for all of £2.81  ;) ). Shall keep an eye on the price.  :smile:

I think it was 1.99 USD when I bought it. 

I'm so sorry :(.

Thanks, Gaia.  Fortunately it isn't an everyday occurrence.  Yet.

Just had a look at the novella on the US site - I didn`t realise it was an adult literacy type of book - I think that`s laudable that the author is writing for different levels of reader.  :smile:

Ahh, didn't realize that either.  Agreed.  More authors should get in on the act.  :)

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel  4/5

It's called the Georgia Flu, but aside from the geographic location no other origin is given, explained or hinted. Not the teeniest of theories is discussed. However it started, or was created, The Georgia Flu decimated populations of all countries in it's path around the world. Exposure, symptoms, and death occur within 24 hours. Within weeks the world as we know it ceases to exist. The survivors are few and scattered, stranded where ever they happen to be at that moment in time. No more air travel, no electricity to pump gas, no computers or any of our electronic toys. No phones, land or cell. Scratching for survival takes every moment of every day, bringing out both the best and the worst in people.

But "Survival is insufficient", and a small band of Shakespeareans travel the countryside visiting the extremely varied communities along the way. The communities run the gamut, from benign to totalitarian.

The book begins just before, or really just as, the pandemic arrives in Toronto. Appropriately enough we begin during a performance of King Lear. We meet the varied characters that will be expanded upon throughout the story. Mandel shifts back and forth between the arid present and the past filling in the history of the characters.

While Mandel shows us the starkness of the situation, she doesn't overwhelm the reader with too many day to day details of the hardship. She concentrates more on the personalities, strengths and weaknesses of the characters. She writes of what they loved, feared, or longed for both past and present. She tells of what they planned for the future, the one that is so cruelly and suddenly cut off. She shows us love.

Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

It's called the Georgia Flu, but aside from the geographic location no other origin is given, explained or hinted. Not the teeniest of theories is discussed. However it started, or was created, The Georgia Flu decimated populations of all countries in it's path around the world. Exposure, symptoms, and death occur within 24 hours. Within weeks the world as we know it ceases to exist. The survivors are few and scattered, stranded where ever they happen to be at that moment in time. No more air travel, no electricity to pump gas, no computers or any of our electronic toys. No phones, land or cell. Scratching for survival takes every moment of every day, bringing out both the best and the worst in people.

But "Survival is insufficient", and a small band of Shakespeareans travel the countryside visiting the extremely varied communities along the way. The communities run the gamut, from benign to totalitarian.

The book begins just before, or really just as, the pandemic arrives in Toronto. Appropriately enough we begin during a performance of King Lear. We meet the varied characters that will be expanded upon throughout the story. Mandel shifts back and forth between the arid present and the past filling in the history of the characters.

While Mandel shows us the starkness of the situation, she doesn't overwhelm the reader with too many day to day details of the hardship. She concentrates more on the personalities, strengths and weaknesses of the characters. She writes of what they loved, feared, or longed for both past and present. She tells of what they planned for the future, the one that is so cruelly and suddenly cut off. She shows us love.

Recommended.

Great review!  But . . . you and bobbly agreeing about a book . . .  :thud:   :D

The communities run the gamut, from benign to totalitarian.

I like when authors do this in dystopian or post apocalyptic literature.  I really must get to this soon!  Great review :)

Great review, Kate :).

Thanks, Gaia! :)

Great review!  But . . . you and bobbly agreeing about a book . . .   :thud:   :D

I know....shocking, isn't it? :giggle2:

Downright diabolical!  /evil grin/

I like when authors do this in dystopian or post apocalyptic literature.  I really must get to this soon!  Great review :)

Thanks, Anna.  It's well worth the read.  My husband enjoyed it as well, and I don't think I've seen any really nasty reviews.

And, yes.....for her to present a range of "ruling" choices made by the different groups was very accurate, imo.

It's the end of the world as we know it  :giggle2:

Dystopia Lives!  :cat:

• 1 month later...

Kate, how've you been? I haven't seen you around lately. Is everything okay?

Hi Kate and Kate`s felines.  :D

Hey guys! :)

Oh, yeah.  Everything is fine over here, just the usual running around going mad, tearing paper. :giggle2:   Cats are fine, we just had the yearly shots last week.  Since we only have the two now we brought them in separately.  That was fun......not! :cat:

Haven't been reading that much the last month or so.....I partially blame Netflix... :blush2:  ...We've binged watched several shows, so between running around, Netflix and scrabble.....yeah, scrabble.  Oy.  :D 

Right now we are watching an HBO series In Treatment with Gabriel Byrne, a lovely Irish actor.  Fascinating.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Treatment_(U.S._TV_series)

Howze about you guys?  All significant others and kitties doing fine?