pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

I'm glad your back has improved :). I wish I could help you with transferring the photo, but it's a bit hard to do that from a distance.

His First, His Second sounds interesting, I shall save it on my list of books to look up :).

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Noll. :)  I liked it enough to put the second in the series on my kindle. :)

I mentioned I'd bought The Bone Clocks.  I'd been on the fence about purchasing it ever since it came out....before, really. :)  Last week we were in Barnes & Noble and I picked it up to leaf through it.  I happened to open it to page 293... in the paperback version. That first paragraph is absolutely and stupendously hilarious. Venomous and just plain original. I have to quote it here. It's long, but oh, so worth it! :D

Welsh rain gods p*ss onto the roofs, festival tents, and umbrellas of Hay-on-Wye and also on Crispin Hershey, as he strides along a gutter-noisy lane, into the Old Cinema Bookshop and makes his way down to its deepest bowel, where he rips this week's Piccadilly Review to confetti. Who on God's festering Earth does that six-foot-wide, corduroy-clad, pubic-bearded, rectal probe Richard Cheeseman think he is? I shut my eyes but the words of his review slide by like the breaking news: "I tried my utmost to find something, anything, in Crispin Hershey's long-awaited novel to dilute its trepanning godawfulness." How dare that inflatable semen-stained Bagpuss write that after cozying up to me at the Royal Society of Literature bashes?

Of course, I had to buy it.   :P

Edited by pontalba

tha't awesome...also best wishes for your reading in 2015 !

Thanks, louya!  Same back atcha! :)

I'm doing a report on Howl by Allen Ginsberg for school, so all I hear is it to Beat generation vibes lol Go on and read it that way, it totally works :P

Hmmmm,. Husband has it in his stack.  I'll have to take a look. :)

:giggle2:

Do you have to do that finger-clicky thing whilst reading it ?!  ;)

Hey!  It will totally help, man.......!

:giggle2:

Do you have to do that finger-clicky thing whilst reading it ?!  ;)

Or some jazz going as background for your obscenity lol

Hmmmm,. Husband has it in his stack.  I'll have to take a look. :)

I'd recommend listening to it, its in 3 parts on you tube :)

I know I'll be reading it soon, at least later this month. :) 

It's funny, the book just happened to open to that page.....couldn't resist it! :D

Have finished a Louise Penney, a Chief Inspector Gamache novel, The Long Way Home.  She has finally ended the horrible conflict between a couple of the main characters in this book...thankfully.  I'd resolved not to read anymore of the series because of that long running "thing", but a kindle sale is a powerful incentive. :) Although a bit drawn out, it was satisfying. 

I guess I'd rate it 3/5, maybe 3.5/5 at best. 

Have finished a Louise Penney, a Chief Inspector Gamache novel, The Long Way Home.  She has finally ended the horrible conflict between a couple of the main characters in this book...thankfully.  I'd resolved not to read anymore of the series because of that long running "thing", but a kindle sale is a powerful incentive. :) Although a bit drawn out, it was satisfying. 

I guess I'd rate it 3/5, maybe 3.5/5 at best. 

I`ve got that one, and the previous one, still to read - glad they`ve finally  done with `that thing`.  :D

I`ve got that one, and the previous one, still to read - glad they`ve finally  done with `that thing`.  :D

Ahh, you know exactly what I mean!  :hide:  :D  

Ok.  Well.  /clearing throat/

I've read 20% of The Legacy of Heorot, and I don't foresee continuing.  It isn't that it's not well written, it is.  It isn't that it doesn't evoke strong reactions and emotions.  It does. And, the story is a great idea.   But.  Ever since I was a child, I have not been able to stand any sort of cruelty in any form to any animal in print or on the screen.  I'm the one that can't watch Lassie movies because of the mean things the dog has to go through.  I know, I know.  It's all make believe, it comes out right for him in the end.  Doesn't matter.  All I had to do was hear the music for the darned TV show of Lassie, and I'd start to cry. 

I'll say this much outside of the spoiler.  The butchery of the animals in this story, The Legacy of Heorot, is just horrendous.  It was, IMO, overboard.  It's bad enough that humans have to go through the terrible things, but the truth is that humans choose their path, choose where to go and live their lives.  The animals have no control and are the true innocents. 

It was bad enough when the German Shepard was eviscerated. Shepards happen to by my extra special soft spot in my heart, and I came close to putting the book down then. But I persevered. The descriptions of the cow massacre was heart rending, but I made it through that. By the hardest. But. Whilst trying to actually process the fact that the infant was snatched by The Thing, (which btw, I could hardly believe) they stake out a calf....and have the nerve to call it by name and scratch it's ear as though in affection.

I know the realities of their situation called for certain harsh actions.  I just am not able to read it.  :cry:

Awww :(. I don't do well either if there is animal cruelty in a book or a TV show or film. It is just terrible! (I also find it hard if there is cruelty against a child, too).

I hope your next read will be a bit more uplifting. Shame this book wasn't really for you (it wouldn't be for me either).

Ahh, you know exactly what I mean!  :hide:  :D

I certainly do - I really didn`t like `that thing ` either.  :D

I`ve seen it happen in a few books recently ; the author finds some way of separating the characters by distance or by giving one of them amnesia. It`s all a way of racking up tension. But previous books in their series have been tense enough, so why do things the readers don`t like ?? I want all my characters to remain friends ! *rant ends*

Edited by Little Pixie

Awww :(. I don't do well either if there is animal cruelty in a book or a TV show or film. It is just terrible! (I also find it hard if there is cruelty against a child, too).

Ditto - I gave up on a book series `cos something happened to a cat in it - The Light Years : Elizabeth jane Howard. 

Avoid it !!  :angry:  ;)

I know the realities of their situation called for certain harsh actions.  I just am not able to read it.  :cry:

I don't like harm coming to animals in books or movies, but I don't recall too much about what happened in The Legacy of Heorot. I know which parts you are referring to, but I don't remember being too disturbed by it. :blush2: I think I just took it as part of the story and just got caught up in the rest of it.

But that's another one of our 'polar opposite' books then! :giggle2::P

I'm three quarters of the way through Heorot now, and I've found it fine. Sad in parts, yes definitely, but I guess that kinda thing in fiction just doesn't bother me. I also don't think it's a particularly spectacular book though. The twist was good, but I'm finding myself skimming just to get to the end. I fear sci-fi will never be my thing!

I didn't think you'd enjoy it much, Noll  :D    As far as SF is concerned, I wouldn't have pointed to it as a book to change somebody's mind about the genre :smile: