pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

Too much Netflix.  The new toy. :D

Have you ever seen Dexter?  I am like Gaia and can't "binge watch" seasons, but after I saw the movie American Psycho, I watched a few episodes and thought it pretty good.  Its edgy, but also not like, Criminal Minds scary.  I love my Netflix, have been watching some women's stand up comedy lately (I don't really like men's stand up for some reason, although I did watch one from Lewis Black and one from Craig Ferguson).  Enjoy!

I don't think I have.....I saw the mini series on TV way back when though.  I have another copy around here somewhere, but this was a nice hardback. :)

Ya, for my mom, reading and watching Roots was a momentous event for her.  She has a nice, old, beat up hardback in her display cabinet that I love seeing as I pass by.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice haul...hope you enjoy them. :smile: We subscribed to Netflix over Christmas. It's pretty good, isn't it? I'm forever adding things to my Watchlist, I just need to have more time to watch them!!

I know, like reading, not enough hours in the day.  Our watchlist is huge! Yikes!

More books :D! I hope you enjoy them all . I'm glad you're enjoying Netflix. Sometimes I get a bit envious, of people who can watch so much TV show episodes in a short amount of time, I could never do that . But I am happy that you are enjoying it . Maybe you will get more into reading in a little while, until then I think it's very nice for you that you have found something new that you're enjoying :friends0:.

/sigh/  yes, it's a disease, as noted elsewhere...... :P  .....for which I hope there is no cure. :D

Yes, and our taste in films, etc is very similar, so no arguments over what to watch. :wub:

Hey, good book haul you've got there  :D

Yup, now to be able to get to them! :D

Have you ever seen Dexter?  I am like Gaia and can't "binge watch" seasons, but after I saw the movie American Psycho, I watched a few episodes and thought it pretty good.  Its edgy, but also not like, Criminal Minds scary.  I love my Netflix, have been watching some women's stand up comedy lately (I don't really like men's stand up for some reason, although I did watch one from Lewis Black and one from Craig Ferguson).  Enjoy!

Ya, for my mom, reading and watching Roots was a momentous event for her.  She has a nice, old, beat up hardback in her display cabinet that I love seeing as I pass by.

No, haven't seen Dexter, although we have the first two books. 

Re Roots.  Yes, I know what you mean, some books hit us at the right time in our lives, just when we need them and we'll have sweet memories of that forever.  It can be both encouraging and strengthening. 

Hurray for the new books !  :D

Have you tried Spiral ( Engrenages ) on Netflix ( don`t know if it`s available.. ) I recently saw S5 on TV here - `twas excellent. It`s a French language cop drama. 

:D  Thanks! 

No, but I'll look for it next time we get on.  Thanks for the tip!

Just added Spiral to our watchlist. :)  Is "Inspector Montalbano" the actual name of the show?  If so, they don't have it. :(  I like the books)

I hope you like Spiral ; S5 was the best thing I`ve watched this year. :smile:

IMDB  - Inspector Montalbano is the English title. I don`t know if you can do a search for the star on Netflix, Luca Zingaretti ? :smile:  DVDs are available too. 

Can you get a free trial with something called MHZ ? 

Edited by Little Pixie

I hope you like Spiral ; S5 was the best thing I`ve watched this year. :smile:

IMDB  - Inspector Montalbano is the English title. I don`t know if you can do a search for the star on Netflix, Luca Zingaretti ? :smile:  DVDs are available too. 

Can you get a free trial with something called MHZ ? 

Netflix doesn't have the Montalbano series, at all.  Neither streaming or DVD.  :(

Hmmm, will investigate.  Do you subscribe to MHZ ?

From an Estate Sale in Metairie, a Doctor that had 4,000 books, supposedly.  He had a nice selection, but very few novels. Very focused history buff though. :)  :cool:

And God Created the French by Louis-Bernard Robitaille

Execution Eve by William F. Buckley, Jr.

In Search of the Dark Ages by Michael Wood

Versions of History from Antiquity to the Enlightenment  Edited by Donald R. Kelley

Charlemagne by Derek Wilson (the only duplicate we bought) :D

The Origins of Modern Europe by R. Allen Brown

The Fall of Constantinople 1453 by Steven Runciman

Kings & Queens of England by David Williamson

The Illustrated Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

1,000 Years, 1,000 People by various

The End of the World  Edited by Lewis H. Lapham with Peter T. Struck

Men of Athens by Rex Warner

The Military Life of Julius Caesar: Imperator by Trevor Nevitt dupuy

Justinian's Flea by William Rosen

The Gnostics by Tobias Churton

Caesars & Saints The Rise of the Christian State A.D. 180-313 by Stewart Perowne

Gods and Heros by Gustav Schwab

Thermopylae by Ernle Bradford

Explaining Hitler by Ron Rosenbaum

The Ultra Secret by F.W. Winterbotham

The German Generals Talk by B.H. Liddell Hart

The Murder of Adolf Hitler by Hugh Thomas

American Caesar:  Douglas MacArthur 1880-1964 by William Manchester

Secret Affairs: Franklin Roosevelt, Cordell Hull, and Sumner Wells by Irwin F. Gellman

And, from Amazon...

Murder at Wrotham Hill by Diana Souhami

Near Enemy by Adam Sternbergh

Netflix doesn't have the Montalbano series, at all.  Neither streaming or DVD.  :(

Hmmm, will investigate.  Do you subscribe to MHZ ?

No subscription ; it`s something I stumbled across when I was searching for Montalbano recently.  :smile:

There are some YOUTube clips available, to give you an idea... clip  , clip,  behind the scenes. 

Congrats on the new books ! That`ll keep you out of mischief.  ;)

Edited by Little Pixie

No subscription ; it`s something I stumbled across when I was searching for Montalbano recently.  :smile:

There are some YOUTube clips available, to give you an idea... clip  , clip,  behind the scenes. 

Congrats on the new books ! That`ll keep you out of mischief.  ;)

Interesting You Tube.  Thanks for posting the link.  Beautiful place, yeah.  :)

Thanks! :)

Wow, that look like a humongous book haul!!  :D

:D  It was pretty good, and we went back the next day and found a few more....... :readingtwo:  :blush2:

Hannibal by Ernle Bradford

Talleyrand by Duff Cooper

The Murder of Napoleon by Ben Weiders & David Hapgood

Nearer, My God (Autobiography of Faith) by William F. Buckley, Jr.

Where Shall Wisdom Be Found by Harold Bloom

Lionhearts Richard I, Saladin, and the Eara of the Third Crusade by Geoffrey Regan

The Nazis by Laurence Rees

Live by the Sword by Gus Russo

The Habsburgs by Andrew Wheatcroft

Emperor  The Gods of War by Conn Iggulden

The Life and Death of Lenin by Robert Payne

The Phoenicians by Gerhard Herm

Troja by Heinrich Schliemann

A Durable Peace by Benjamin Netanyahu

Finished a couple of books,

Do Not Enter by Jutta Profijt and  Rain on the Dead by Jack Higgins.   Not thrilled with either of them. 

No reviews at this time. 

You've been doing some serious book hauling lately :D I must ask, how do you get wind of these estate sales? I suppose they advertise somewhere... In a newspaper perhaps? Or online? Do you specifically look for estate sales or do you go if you happen to notice one? 

Too much Netflix.  The new toy. :D  We've now watched the first 4 seasons of the show Blue Bloods.  A show about the New York City police force.  One family.  Tom Selleck being the patriarch of the clan, and Police Commissioner. 

Blue Bloods was on TV over here, too. I watched the first episode and saw promise but the time slot was an inconvenient one :(

The Talleyrand book ought to be interesting! :) I remember someone on here read the book and wrote a review and I was fascinated by it and added it to my wishlist. I hope you enjoy it :) And all the new books! 

Edit: I did a little search and found out it was Ooshie's review on Talleyrand that got me interested :) 

Edited by frankie

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)! Estate sales sound interesting, I don't think we have those here in the Netherlands (at least.. I've not heard of such things here), I'm so glad you are able to find so many nice books there. Do they cost much, usually?

I hope your next few reads will be more enjoyable than the books you've read recently :).

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)! Estate sales sound interesting, I don't think we have those here in the Netherlands (at least.. I've not heard of such things here), I'm so glad you are able to find so many nice books there. Do they cost much, usually?

That's a good question! How do the book prices of estate sales compare to secondhand bookshops and charity shops? 

You've been doing some serious book hauling lately :D I must ask, how do you get wind of these estate sales? I suppose they advertise somewhere... In a newspaper perhaps? Or online? Do you specifically look for estate sales or do you go if you happen to notice one? 

Blue Bloods was on TV over here, too. I watched the first episode and saw promise but the time slot was an inconvenient one :(

The Talleyrand book ought to be interesting! :) I remember someone on here read the book and wrote a review and I was fascinated by it and added it to my wishlist. I hope you enjoy it :) And all the new books! 

Edit: I did a little search and found out it was Ooshie's review on Talleyrand that got me interested :)

There  is a website called Estatesales.net.  Here is the New Orleans area link that I most often use.  http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/LA/New-Orleans.aspx?utm_source=bellsouth.net&utm_medium=email&utm_term=70431&utm_content=New-Orleans-LA&utm_campaign=2015-04-07-3DaysBefore

But they are a national site, so even when we travel we are able to find estate sales wherever we go in the U.S.  I've not seen an International site......yet.  If I ever do I'll be sure to post a link! :)

Yes, trouble is, I can't wait to get to all of the books!  /sigh/ :)

Edited by pontalba

I hope your next few reads will be more enjoyable than the books you've read recently :).

No, they are quite cheap, usually running from one to two dollars each.  Sometimes less, sometimes, for special editions etc, a little more.

Thanks! :)

That's a good question! How do the book prices of estate sales compare to secondhand bookshops and charity shops? 

Much cheaper than second hand bookstores, and much less than marketplace on Amazon.  As posted just above, they are in the one to two dollar U.S. range.  So, in all I think we paid about 35 U.S. dollars for the books I've listed in the two posts above from that particular estate sale. 

Sad thing is, there were not that many book buyers visiting the sale.  I am sad for all the "left over" books and wonder what the family will do with them.  I just don't understand the family not wanting to keep at least some of their father's books.  :cry:  :blink:

Congrats on the latest books.  :D The Schliemann one should be good, I imagine.  :smile:

Thanks! :)  Yes indeed, that was a great find!!  :cool:

There  is a website called Estatesales.net.  Here is the New Orleans area link that I most often use.  http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/LA/New-Orleans.aspx?utm_source=bellsouth.net&utm_medium=email&utm_term=70431&utm_content=New-Orleans-LA&utm_campaign=2015-04-07-3DaysBefore

But they are a national site, so even when we travel we are able to find estate sales wherever we go in the U.S.  I've not seen an International site......yet.  If I ever do I'll be sure to post a link! :)

Ah, you keep tabs on a special link. That's very handy! :D And I would think a whole lot of tempting, too. I think I might google if I could find anything like that over here. Thanks for the tip! :) 

Yes, trouble is, I can't wait to get to all of the books!  /sigh/ :)

It's the curse of a book lover... And at the same time, it's so wonderful to have a great variety of self picked books you can choose from when you're looking for your next read :smile2: 

Much cheaper than second hand bookstores, and much less than marketplace on Amazon.  As posted just above, they are in the one to two dollar U.S. range.  So, in all I think we paid about 35 U.S. dollars for the books I've listed in the two posts above from that particular estate sale. 

Sad thing is, there were not that many book buyers visiting the sale.  I am sad for all the "left over" books and wonder what the family will do with them.  I just don't understand the family not wanting to keep at least some of their father's books.  :cry:  :blink:

For some reason I thought the books there would be more pricey... I've sometimes thought about estate sales but I've always thought they are probably most about furniture and other expensive stuff. But hey, one could always look for ads on estate sales that have books! Duh!! :D 

Yep, I can imagine how one would feel about the 'left over' books. Sometimes when I'm in a secondhand bookshop, someone comes in and I can here them asking the owner if they could look at the books they've found at an estate and I sometimes get the feeling that they don't care about the books at all :( And as sad as it is, the secondhand bookshop owners can't be complete book/philantrhopists and take them all in because that's the nice thing to do for the books. They have to think about their business :( It's all really sad. 

No, they are quite cheap, usually running from one to two dollars each.  Sometimes less, sometimes, for special editions etc, a little more.

That's awesome!

Awww, yeah, that does seem a shame. I can understand not wanting to keep a huge collection from a deceased relative due to space issues, but maybe keeping their favourite books or such.. well, I think I would heh (well, if I was at all interested I'd probably keep it all). It's great though that a lot of the books are given new homes for people who are interested. I can't stand the thought of people throwing away books. Books don't belong in a bin or papershredder, they should be in shops, libraries and with people in their homes.

EDIT:

I tried to do some Googling, but the closest thing to "estate sale" I can find in the Netherlands is either a "vrijmarkt" or a "rommelmarkt" or sites to buy a property. The vrijmarkt or rommelmarkt are just people selling a few of their old things (like a 'car boot sale' in the UK?), I've been to a few but there weren't many books to be found. They are normally there on "King's Day" (used to be called "Queen's Day"). We went to the one in Helmond (on Queen's Day) I think maybe two years ago. It was very busy, and there were only a couple of stalls with a few books, and sometimes they weren't that cheap to be honest (people set their own prices I believe). Anyway, that's just based on some quick Googling.

Edited by Athena

That's interesting, Gaia.  A while back, someone else on here....sorry can't remember exactly who it was....mentioned that they couldn't find any in the U.K. either.  I wonder if it's simply a case of terminology.  For example, here in the U.S., we call what the U.K. calls a boot sale, a garage sale, or yard sale.  So, it could conceivable be a simple case of what do they call our Estate Sale in the U.K. and The Netherlands. 

It's hard to believe that there is nothing comparable anywhere else in the world.  :blink:

This is from the disturbing novels thread, as it was too us and not "communal" :giggle2:

Have you tried any of Steinbeck's shorter novels, like The Red Pony, The Pearl or Tortilla Flat?  Surely you've read Of Mice and Men?  Are we talking about the same Steinbeck? :giggle2:

And I think you would LOVE Damned by Palahniuk, (don't read Fight Club or anything extreme), but I think you'd love his protagonist, Madison... just stay away from the sequel, I think he's jumped the shark (shhhh don't tell anyone I said that :out:    )

It's hard to believe that there is nothing comparable anywhere else in the world.  :blink:

When I was posting yesterday, I couldn't for the life of me think of a Finnish word that is the equivalent of estate sale. Actually the word's only just come to me and now I can go ahead and google :)  

Ah, you keep tabs on a special link. That's very handy! :D And I would think a whole lot of tempting, too. I think I might google if I could find anything like that over here. Thanks for the tip! :)

Even better, I have subscribed to a newsletter from them for my area.  :angel_not:

This is from the disturbing novels thread, as it was too us and not "communal" :giggle2:

Have you tried any of Steinbeck's shorter novels, like The Red Pony, The Pearl or Tortilla Flat?  Surely you've read Of Mice and Men?  Are we talking about the same Steinbeck? :giggle2:

And I think you would LOVE Damned by Palahniuk, (don't read Fight Club or anything extreme), but I think you'd love his protagonist, Madison... just stay away from the sequel, I think he's jumped the shark (shhhh don't tell anyone I said that :out:    )

I've tried Tortilla Flat, The Pearl, Of Mice and Men, and something else I can't remember.  No dice, for me. :)

When I was posting yesterday, I couldn't for the life of me think of a Finnish word that is the equivalent of estate sale. Actually the word's only just come to me and now I can go ahead and google :)

Ahhh, can't wait to hear the results!  Good Luck! :D