pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well one book is never that representative normally of what a genre has to offer :P:(. I haven't read The Martian though, so here follow some standalone SF books I liked. What about one of Philip K. Dick's books (such as Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? or A Scanner Darkly) or Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon or Ernest Cline - Ready Player One or Ken Grimwood - Replay or an Arthur C. Clarke book or Matt Haig - The Humans or Douglas Adams - The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy 1: The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy (admittedly this one is part of a series). I don't know if The Martian is like any of these though :unsure:.

I'm three quarters of the way through Heorot now, and I've found it fine. Sad in parts, yes definitely, but I guess that kinda thing in fiction just doesn't bother me. I also don't think it's a particularly spectacular book though. The twist was good, but I'm finding myself skimming just to get to the end.

The only part that dragged for me, was when

Cadmann went off on his own into the mountains.

Aside from that, I was completely hooked.

The only part that dragged for me, was when

Cadmann went off on his own into the mountains.

Aside from that, I was completely hooked.

None of it dragged for me, I just lost interest when I found out what the twist was. After that there were no more surprises and I didn't care enough to carefully read HOW they brought about the inevitable ending. Lots of action. The end. It wasn't at all bad, just not my thing. I'm glad I gave it a chance, though, and glad I did finish it because it deserved that much.

Awww :(. I don't do well either if there is animal cruelty in a book or a TV show or film. It is just terrible! (I also find it hard if there is cruelty against a child, too).

I hope your next read will be a bit more uplifting. Shame this book wasn't really for you (it wouldn't be for me either).

Thanks, Gaia.  :)  Fully agree kids and animals, both affect me in the same way. 

It is.  I've started The Bone Clocks....the quote up above is from it....it's just as good as I'd hoped.  I haven't gotten very far though, only about 100 pages or so into it.  It's been just one thing after the other.  Haven't done any reading.

That sounds kinda gross :lol: I am now curious about The Thing though!

Hope your next read is friendlier :)

Thanks, Noll. :)  ^^ It is!

Oh dear.  Sorry to hear that.  I don't remember any of that in any detail, but I guess I'm more used to it from movies like The Thing and such :shrug:

Everyone is affected differently, by different things.  IOW, everyone has their own "buttons". :)

Do you mean the original, or the remake of The Thing?  I liked both, although the second one was overboard I thought.

I'd watch the first one again, but not the second. 

Side note:  James Arness of Gunsmoke fame played the creature in the original. :)

I certainly do - I really didn`t like `that thing ` either.  :D

I`ve seen it happen in a few books recently ; the author finds some way of separating the characters by distance or by giving one of them amnesia. It`s all a way of racking up tension. But previous books in their series have been tense enough, so why do things the readers don`t like ?? I want all my characters to remain friends ! *rant ends*

Yeah.  I'm all for tension building, but she went too far, IMO.  I agree with you......I want the main protagonists to be tight! :)

Ditto - I gave up on a book series `cos something happened to a cat in it - The Light Years : Elizabeth jane Howard. 

Avoid it !!  :angry:  ;)

Ahhh, forewarned is forearmed!  Thanks. :) 

Oh ! Happy 4th of July, Kate !  :D

:D  Thanks, Sarah! :D  It was quiet around here, thankfully. :)

I don't like harm coming to animals in books or movies, but I don't recall too much about what happened in The Legacy of Heorot. I know which parts you are referring to, but I don't remember being too disturbed by it. :blush2: I think I just took it as part of the story and just got caught up in the rest of it.

But that's another one of our 'polar opposite' books then! :giggle2::P

I know, it's feast or famine with us!! :D

I'm three quarters of the way through Heorot now, and I've found it fine. Sad in parts, yes definitely, but I guess that kinda thing in fiction just doesn't bother me. I also don't think it's a particularly spectacular book though. The twist was good, but I'm finding myself skimming just to get to the end. I fear sci-fi will never be my thing!

I think science fiction as a whole is a funny creature.  There are so many types of it that I don't think a person can say with finality that they do or don't like it. 

I tend to like what I call "hard" science fiction.  The Martian is a good example of that, and I consider most of Star Trek to be good examples of it as well.  I loved both. 

I tend not to care for "fantasy" science fiction, one that creates whole new worlds with names and creatures that certainly never came from Earth.  Now, while Star Trek did contain many of  these fantastic worlds, they were not the basis for the show. For me, it was the reaching out of the human race and the brotherhood of man that was the core of Star Trek. 

Then there is apocalyptic and dystopian....and that can be science fiction, or not.  I usually enjoy that as well. 

I didn't think you'd enjoy it much, Noll  :D    As far as SF is concerned, I wouldn't have pointed to it as a book to change somebody's mind about the genre :smile:

I read enough of it to agree with that statement, Steve.  It honestly didn't strike me as hard sci-fi in any case.

Well one book is never that representative normally of what a genre has to offer :P:(. I haven't read The Martian though, so here follow some standalone SF books I liked. What about one of Philip K. Dick's books (such as Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? or A Scanner Darkly) or Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon or Ernest Cline - Ready Player One or Ken Grimwood - Replay or an Arthur C. Clarke book or Matt Haig - The Humans or Douglas Adams - The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy 1: The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy (admittedly this one is part of a series). I don't know if The Martian is like any of these though :unsure:.

All good suggestions, Gaia!  I have to say I didn't care for Hitchhikers Guide though, I quit after reading about 75%.  :blush2:

I really enjoyed Replay though, and another one I would suggest is The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.  Now, just to show you....that one has fantastical creatures in it, and I loved it!  :giggle2:

I've read both The Humans and Flowers For Algernon and loved them. FFA is one of my favourite novels.

Also sorry Pontalba for taking over your thread! :lol:

No, no, no, no!!! I've loved every minute of it!  Wish I'd gotten here sooner, but Life got in the way. :D

Ha, that's what I was thinking! :lol:  I'll have a think and post a couple over in your thread, Noll  :smile:

Have to go and take a peek! :readingtwo:

I read enough of it to agree with that statement, Steve.  It honestly didn't strike me as hard sci-fi in any case.

I didn't realise I'd classed it as hard SF :shrug:

Everyone is affected differently, by different things.  IOW, everyone has their own "buttons".  :)

Do you mean the original, or the remake of The Thing?  I liked both, although the second one was overboard I thought.

I'd watch the first one again, but not the second. 

Side note:  James Arness of Gunsmoke fame played the creature in the original.  :)

Yeah, I've seen and enjoyed both, but the John Carpenter remake is a classic of the genre, imo, one of my favourite movies, seen it countless times, love it  :smile:

I think science fiction as a whole is a funny creature.  There are so many types of it that I don't think a person can say with finality that they do or don't like it. 

I tend to like what I call "hard" science fiction.  The Martian is a good example of that, and I consider most of Star Trek to be good examples of it as well.  I loved both. 

I tend not to care for "fantasy" science fiction, one that creates whole new worlds with names and creatures that certainly never came from Earth.  Now, while Star Trek did contain many of  these fantastic worlds, they were not the basis for the show. For me, it was the reaching out of the human race and the brotherhood of man that was the core of Star Trek. 

Then there is apocalyptic and dystopian....and that can be science fiction, or not.  I usually enjoy that as well.

Interesting, I've never considered Star Trek to be hard SF.  You're right about the sub-genres, though - there are so many now, as with fantasy, too.  I don't have a preference as far as SF is concerned - if a book's good I don't mind where it fits in - but there's all sorts of fantasy I shy away from.  I think my previous preference for fantasy has disappeared completely over the last couple of years  :o  :D

I get what you mean Pont about hard sci-fi, though like Karsa I'm not sure I'd call it hard sci-fi. But stuff that basically involves earth, people, our relatively near future, and some makey-uppy technology is the kinda thing I like. Or stuff where sci-fi is kind of the background to another theme (usually a human/emotional theme) - movie examples including Primer and Moon. I don't have book examples :P

Fantasy is another genre that I'm very reluctant to get into, and largely it's lots of makey-uppy names/places/civilisations that I don't like. They have to be exceptionally convincing for me to like them. One trilogy I love is the Coldfire Trilogy, but I recall someone on here thinking it was a load of rubbish, so I clearly have awful taste :lol:The Magicians, is another fantasy book I like, but that's set on Earth mostly.

One trilogy I love is the Coldfire Trilogy, but I recall someone on here thinking it was a load of rubbish, so I clearly have awful taste :lol:

Oops, I think that might have been me  :blush2:  :giggle2:

Was it? I thought it was someone else. It's okay, it's not great, I just loved one of the characters :lol:

Actually, no it wasn't :lol:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5629-the-coldfire-trilogy-by-c-s-friedman/page-5

:lol:

You never did get around to the other two then? :P

I must reread those books. I got them/read them at Christmas, so I always associate them with Christmas :lol:

I don't care what anyone says, Gerald Tarrant (awful name aside) is awesome. And I love the artwork on my editions of the books.

Um . . . no  :blush2:

I really don't have a leg to stand on if you don't like my recommendations, do I?   :lol:

Well it's quite alright, you don't have to read them - but I should probably note with any future recommendations I make that just because I like something doesn't mean it's actually good, because this has happened to me a few times and I feel so guilty hehe.

There's a good chance I won't like your recommendations because I suspect sci-fi will never broadly appeal to me, but I'm going to try a few so I can be sure it's really me and not just my poor book-choosing skills :lol:

Well it's quite alright, you don't have to read them - but I should probably note with any future recommendations I make that just because I like something doesn't mean it's actually good, because this has happened to me a few times and I feel so guilty hehe.

There's a good chance I won't like your recommendations because I suspect sci-fi will never broadly appeal to me, but I'm going to try a few so I can be sure it's really me and not just my poor book-choosing skills :lol:

Oh you can't go around feeling guilty about that sort of thing - if I did I'd never get up in the morning :lol:

We're taking over the thread again... at this point I have no idea what conversations are happening in what thread :lol:

I do recommend good books too, just not in fantasy :lol: Although Uprooted is a great fantasy read. Or The Magicians.

Okay I'm done. :lurker:

I didn't realise I'd classed it as hard SF :shrug:

Yeah, I've seen and enjoyed both, but the John Carpenter remake is a classic of the genre, imo, one of my favourite movies, seen it countless times, love it  :smile:

Interesting, I've never considered Star Trek to be hard SF.  You're right about the sub-genres, though - there are so many now, as with fantasy, too.  I don't have a preference as far as SF is concerned - if a book's good I don't mind where it fits in - but there's all sorts of fantasy I shy away from.  I think my previous preference for fantasy has disappeared completely over the last couple of years  :o  :D

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you'd classified it as "hard" sci-fi.  :)

I actually don't know if I'm using "hard" correctly.  Probably not.  I guess what I'm trying to say is "more realistic, tied to logical progression of what we know now".   If that makes any sort of sense......:)

Actually, maybe you know this, Star Trek was originally billed as Wagon Train in Outer Space. :)  So, I guess it's the human drama that appeals to me, and the setting is possibly secondary.

I get what you mean Pont about hard sci-fi, though like Karsa I'm not sure I'd call it hard sci-fi. But stuff that basically involves earth, people, our relatively near future, and some makey-uppy technology is the kinda thing I like. Or stuff where sci-fi is kind of the background to another theme (usually a human/emotional theme) - movie examples including Primer and Moon. I don't have book examples :P

Fantasy is another genre that I'm very reluctant to get into, and largely it's lots of makey-uppy names/places/civilisations that I don't like. They have to be exceptionally convincing for me to like them. One trilogy I love is the Coldfire Trilogy, but I recall someone on here thinking it was a load of rubbish, so I clearly have awful taste :lol:The Magicians, is another fantasy book I like, but that's set on Earth mostly.

I loved Moon, and have Primer on my "to watch" list on Amazon. :) 

We're taking over the thread again... at this point I have no idea what conversations are happening in what thread :lol:

I do recommend good books too, just not in fantasy :lol: Although Uprooted is a great fantasy read. Or The Magicians.

Okay I'm done. :lurker:

As I posted above.....no, no, no....!  I'm enjoying this! :D

It's always a crapshoot recommending books.  But better to recommend and risk someone loving a book you do than not. :JC_cookies:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you'd classified it as "hard" sci-fi.  :)

I actually don't know if I'm using "hard" correctly.  Probably not.  I guess what I'm trying to say is "more realistic, tied to logical progression of what we know now".   If that makes any sort of sense...... :)

Actually, maybe you know this, Star Trek was originally billed as Wagon Train in Outer Space. :)  So, I guess it's the human drama that appeals to me, and the setting is possibly secondary.

Yeah, that was exactly how Gene Roddenberry envisioned it.  I think, for it to be called hard SF, the Enterprise would have to have spinning sections to generate all that gravity they seem to walk around in, and there'd be no noise in space.  For a start :lol:  I reckon it sits somewhere around the middle between hard SF and soft SF, a bit like the Vorkosigan Saga books.  The more I type these classifications the less I like them, though :lol:  I think you hit the nail on the head with the human drama part.  At its best it was always about using science fiction stories to examine the issues of the time, whilst allowing Kirk to get his shirt ripped to expose his nipples and also get the nearest female to swoon and fall into his arms (in soft focus)  :giggle2:

Wait till they start rummaging through your fridge and peeking in your medicine cabinet.  ;)

:D  If they can find anything in that crowded fridge, they're good! 

Yeah, that was exactly how Gene Roddenberry envisioned it.  I think, for it to be called hard SF, the Enterprise would have to have spinning sections to generate all that gravity they seem to walk around in, and there'd be no noise in space.  For a start :lol:  I reckon it sits somewhere around the middle between hard SF and soft SF, a bit like the Vorkosigan Saga books.  The more I type these classifications the less I like them, though :lol:  I think you hit the nail on the head with the human drama part.  At its best it was always about using science fiction stories to examine the issues of the time, whilst allowing Kirk to get his shirt ripped to expose his nipples and also get the nearest female to swoon and fall into his arms (in soft focus)  :giggle2:

Ahh, The Shatner. Yum.  Yes, especially the green skinned ones....... :rolol:

Edited by pontalba