Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

The Monstrumologist - Rick Yancey

Synopsis: "These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me . . . and the one who cursed me." So starts the diary of Will Henry, orphaned assistant to Dr. Pellinore Warthorp, a man with a most unusual specialty: monstrumology, the study of monsters. In his time with the doctor, Will has met many a mysterious late-night visitor, and seen things he never imagined were real. But when a grave robber comes calling in the middle of the night with a gruesome find, he brings with him their most deadly case yet.

Review: The voice and style in which The Monstrumologist - set in 1800s New England - is written, is so fundamentally at odds with that of The 5th Wave (which I read previously) that unless I knew otherwise for a fact, I would never believe they could have been written by the same author. The prose in this novel is beautiful. I would question its designation as a YA read based on the level of gore - at one point I actually had to put it down for a moment and think about nice things - but its prose is the perfect mix of readable and substantial to appeal to a YA audience without being too 'easy'. I would have loved a book like this, when I was a teenager.

As complex and creative as I would hope for from the writer of The 5th Wave - though written long before it - The Monstrumologist lures the reader into the underbelly of the natural world, wherein a scientist and his 12-year-old assistant tend to 'abberant biology' - creatures so nightmarish they have been relinquished to the world of myths instead of nature. Rather than a huge monster-fest, this novel focuses on the discovery and dispatch of one pod of a single type of monster, the Anthropophagi. Doing so allows the author to expend detail on the development of the characters, their relationships, their backstories, the backstory of the monsters, how everything ties up - and he does all of this with immense finesse.

The characters deserve a paragraph all of their own. The brilliant, detached, occasionally wretched Dr. Warthrop cuts a formidable but lamentable figure, haunted as he is not by the literal horrors of his work, but the demons of his past and legacy. The tenacious 12-year-old, Will Henry, conflicted by the abhorrence of the doctor's work and will to persevere in memory of his father. John Kearns, the charismatic, unpredictably sociopathic British monster hunter. Even the secondary characters - the grave-robber Erasmus Gray, young Malachi Stinnet, tortured Captain Varner, all contribute to the emotional evocation of this novel.

Visceral, unremitting, heart-wrenching; everything about this book is wholesome and satisfying. I can't wait to start the second book in the series. If the Gothic horror of Victorian times appeals to you, this is definitely one not to miss - but consider yourself warned: the ick-factor is high. Love it.

Rating: 5/5

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This book sounds good! Great review :). Can you tell me if the book has a bit of an ending (or is that what you meant with 'wholesome')? I'm wary of reading books that leave a massive cliffhanger, I find that difficult to deal with, if I can't read the next book in the series yet. I don't know if the gore wouldn't be too much for me, though :blush2:.

Yep, I meant wholesome in that its like eating a full dinner, leaves you totally satisfied with what you just read. No cliffhanger, it's only open-ended in the sense that the main characters don't all die at the end or anything :lol: There's a full sense of closure on the current story.

The gore only happens five or six times in the book, but it's pretty gross haha. Definitely worth it - to me it fit in with the detail of the rest of the narrative. It's been around since 2009 - the three follow-ons are all also published. Reading book 2 now :)

Yep, I meant wholesome in that its like eating a full dinner, leaves you totally satisfied with what you just read. No cliffhanger, it's only open-ended in the sense that the main characters don't all die at the end or anything :lol: There's a full sense of closure on the current story.

The gore only happens five or six times in the book, but it's pretty gross haha. Definitely worth it - to me it fit in with the detail of the rest of the narrative. It's been around since 2009 - the three follow-ons are all also published. Reading book 2 now :)

Ah thanks for all that! Good to know :).

Solitaire - Alice Oseman

Synopsis: In case you’re wondering, this is not a love story. My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now. Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden. I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden. I really don’t.

Review: I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel - whether it would be heavily plot-driven or character-driven. It turned out to be the latter, and it is honestly worth reading for the characters and writing style alone, so it complimented these strengths of the novel for the plot to take a back seat.

I don't think I've ever read a novel that so regularly had me furiously nodding my head in consensus with the narrator, who could easily be a caricature of me on my bad days. Tori Spring is not a *likeable* person, initially - she is troubled, she is sarcastic, depressed, cynical - a lot of things that a lot of young people feel in their disillusionment with life and the world around them. As I only discovered afterwards, the author is herself quite young - only a teenager when she wrote this book, so the writing is exceptionally authentic. It's not whiny, self-loathing or hyperbolic - which is a credit to the style of character being written and the kind of person being represented in the character of Tori Spring. I have a feeling this is a novel to which many young people can relate, and yet it features a voice exceptionally unique to the world of literature, which says something about how these people (among whom I include myself) are represented in the book world.

The other characters, though less authentic, are also relatable and easy to become emotionally invested in. I have to admit I would love to meet Michael Holden. The plot is interesting, though not compelling, taking as it does second place to the characters. I felt a little disappointed by the big reveal, feeling it was a little too chaotic and unsubstantiated to warrant all that went before it. My other small complaint is that it spoils the plots of several movies and books - most of which I was aware of, but I haven't seen The Royal Tenenbaums. Still, that only resulted in me taking a half mark off, because everything else about it is so wonderful. An exceptional accomplishment from a young author for whom I have high hopes, and an absolute must-read for young adults.

Rating: 4.5/5

Haha I don't know about that, I wasn't too pleased at all with this review :roll: Thank you though, that makes me feel much better about it! One more review later today and then I'll have caught up... for now :lol:

Say Her Name - James Dawson

Synopsis: Roberta 'Bobbie' Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They summon 'Bloody Mary': say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear... But nothing happens. Or does it?  Things get increasingly weird and more terrifying for Bobbie and Naya, until it becomes all too clear that Bloody Mary was indeed called, and she is definitely not a friendly ghost. Bobbie, Naya and Caine are now in a race against time before their five days are up and Mary comes for them, as she has come for countless others before...

Review: I was in the mood for a fairly light, not-too-scary read when I picked this one up, and it fit the bill perfectly. A full-length novel based around the infamous Bloody Mary story - I suspect partially inspired by the Supernatual episode, given the references to it - which draws neatly on the classic aspects of the tale, while adding a few original creepy twists. While I personally didn't find it too scary - I don't scare easily when it comes to books - there was more than one moment that had me frantically scanning the pages to see what was going to happen next. One particular moment involving a mirror inside a closet makes me feel claustrophobic just thinking about it...

Although I can't honestly say I became particularly attached to the characters (Bobbie was okay), the mystery surrounding Mary herself was definitely interesting enough to carry the story. There is nothing pioneering in the relation of her origins, but given that the novel is building on a fairly thin fireside scare story they're sufficiently fleshed out. Her background does a great job of humanizing a figure thought of as little more than a spooky spirit with nothing better to do than haunt mirrors and silly teenagers.

Well written and an easy page-turner, it's a perfect spooky read for a rainy night by the fire, which shouldn't leave you with nightmares (but don't blame me if it does!) I'll definitely be checking out more by this author.

Rating: 4/5

The Monstrumologist - Rick Yancey

Rating: 5/5

Solitaire - Alice Oseman

Rating: 4.5/5

Great reviews, Noll.  Even though not particularly my genre, you have truly interested me in reading them both, particularly the first one.

#62 The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley

Synopsis: Andrew Brawley was supposed to die that night. His parents did, and so did his sister, but he survived. Now he lives in the hospital. He serves food in the cafeteria, he hangs out with the nurses, and he sleeps in a forgotten supply closet. Drew blends in to near invisibility, hiding from his past, his guilt, and those who are trying to find him. Then one night Rusty is wheeled into the ER, burned on half his body by hateful classmates. In Rusty, Drew sees hope, happiness, and a future for both of them. But Drew knows that life is never that simple. Death roams the hospital, searching for Drew, and now Rusty. Drew lost his family, but he refuses to lose Rusty, too, so he’s determined to make things right. He’s determined to bargain, and to settle his debts once and for all.

Review: I had hoped I would really enjoy this book, but for some reason it just failed to pull me in. When I put it down, I struggled to recall exactly what was happening when I left off, and found myself not really wanting to pick it up. I wish I could at least put my finger on why it had that effect, because there were things I liked about it. I think maybe they just didn't all gel together with that 'something' that makes a book truly great.

I liked quite a few of the characters, though I felt none of them were really fleshed out. Trevor and Lexi could have had a novel all of their own, and Arnold was probably the most complex but also the most underused character in the novel. I'd like to have known more about Miss Michelle as a person, and I felt the Rusty/Andrew thing was a little too circumstantial - that is to say, the connection is seemingly founded on the fact that they're both troubled gay youths who have had traumatic experiences, moreso than because they actually connect as people in any way. So, I felt like a lot of the characters had great potential and were likeable on the surface, but none of them were developed or compelling enough to really reel me in.

The writing is great, I honestly can't fault that aspect at all. Mostly prose, dotted with the occasional segement of a Patient F comic (the comic being drawn by Andrew himself) - it's an unusual combination and it works really well. Definitely haven't been put off trying more by the author, and I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid this one - I'm sure a lot of people would love it.

3/5

#63 Falling - Emma Kavanagh

Synopsis:  A plane falls out of the sky. A woman is murdered. Four people all have something to hide. Jim is a retired police officer, and worried father. His beloved daughter has disappeared and he knows something is wrong. Tom has woken up to the news that his wife was on the plane and must break the news to their only son. Cecilia had packed up and left her family. Now she has survived a tragedy, and sees no way out. Freya is struggling to cope with the loss of her father. But as she delves into his past, she may not like what she finds.

Review: Falling has to be the most unthrilling, slow-paced thriller I have ever read. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I did spend a significant portion of the book expecting the pace to ramp up and it never really did. Fortunately it's written with a style that compliments a gentle pace immensely - Kavanagh possesses the ability to depict simple, every day actions with great artistry and finesse. Just reading the book and getting lost in the prose was a tremendous pleasure, and for that alone I would recommend it.

The plot and the characters, however, left me unsatisfied. As I said, quite unthrilling, for a mystery/thriller novel. There were no huge twists, and nothing too original in the plot. It certainly wasn't bad, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I was surprised by how straight-forward everything turned out to be. A couple of minor twists prevented it from being unsatisfying.

The characters, for the most part, were a little dull. I loved Cecilia, though I felt her story would have been more at home in a whole other book of its own. It took me quite a while to warm to her, but I can also relate to her struggle to bond with her child, in the sense that I feel no innate attachment to children and no desire to ever have any. I've read reviews which characterized her as innately unlikeable, and that is exactly why I think she is such a good character - she's flawed and her attitudes do leave a bad taste in your mouth, but you slowly come to see things from her perspective and begin to sympathize. The fact that I've dedicated my character paragraph pretty much to one character says all you need to know about the others.

Not a bad book, not what I expected and that may have biased my review, but definitely worth a read. Just don't push it to the top of your To Be Read list.

Rating: 3/5

This is the first year I have ever (in my life) kept up a pace like this. Ever. I dunno what's happened. I'll probably fall flat on my face later in the year and stop at 99 :lol:

I actually did that last year......no!, year before.  :giggle:  Sometimes the energy just dissipates.  /sigh/ :)

I actually did that last year......no!, year before.  :giggle:  Sometimes the energy just dissipates.  /sigh/ :)

Honestly I think if I got stuck on 99, I'd grab a kids picture book with some words and read that just to officially hit the 100 :lol: