Blog a Penguin Classic!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone else still not received their copy!?![/quote

I haven't. Had a bit of a scare when I got back from work. A parcel had been delivered to one of our neighbours - we speculated that it was probably the laptop my daughter was expecting - as she and my OH went round expectantly to collect it I had a horrible thought that it might be my dreaded penguin which would have meant a lot of disappointment all round. Phew - it was the laptop.

Just changing the subject - what type did you get Judy?

- we are just about to buy one so I am interested in your choice

It's a Toshiba - OH and daughter researched it together - she's very pleased with it.

Find another review somewhere, and reword it!? :(:)

There is a handy introduction in my book that is more like a review. I am really going to make an effort with this one though (katie permitting - by the time I get round to these tings my brain usually does not have the energy to cope!).

thanks Judy....

It has arrived this morning, only 163 pages long, it has a picture of a smoking gun and a limp hand on the front. Do I have to read it? :(

It's 400 pages less than mine - so yes!:)

Well, I finished mine a few days ago (Plays Extravagant by GB Shaw) and have not even thought about writing my review. Well, I did think about it once or twice, but quickly moved on to thinking about other things instead. :(

I quite enjoyed the plays actually (once I'd got over my annoyance at Penguin deciding to print it how I assume it was originally written, that is with no apostrophes in contractions, e.g. youll, shouldnt, wont etc - it looked so strange). I just don't feel up to writing a literary review about them...

ETA: I have read one of the poems, but didn't get much further! But seriously, surely a big book of poetry is something you would dip in and out of. How am I meant to review it after a few weeks?

I would think that you dip in and out of it, and use that as part of your review. State that you find it impossible to read poetry as prose, and that this is the kind of book you dip in and out of rather than reading all the way through as a single narrative.

And, if it's actually also unreadable say that you find it practically unreadable, and although most books you dip in and out of have some role in the toilet, perhaps this book would be better used as a different kind of roll in the bathroom.

I have slowly read the intro to my book. The second intro is one written by the author and is terribly monotonous, repetitive, and hardly worth the effort. The book begins in much the same style. I seriously hope the book is not all like that. It had promised to be such an enlightening, or at least, very entertaining book from the blurb.