Blog a Penguin Classic!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it open only to members in the U.K., or can folks from other countries also receive a free book? :) I looked on their website, but they didn't address this question.

Someone somewhere said it's only open to the UK/Eire, unfortuanately.

Yes HandD - rather yours than mine:lol: I'm wondering how I'm going to write a review about something that I potentially might not be able to understand or be able to finish.

Yes HandD - rather yours than mine:lol: I'm wondering how I'm going to write a review about something that I potentially might not be able to understand or be able to finish.

I think that might be part of the fun of the blogging. Your personal battle with something utterly out of your comfort zone.

Admittedly, I don't think I dare sign up, because I'm too lazy. The only one of the books anyone's got so far that I know anything about is Silent Spring (which I really must read some day!).

And it's The Autobiography of Malcolm X which should be pretty interesting, and I could certainly have done worse, although there are tons on there that interest or intrigue me more.

This is quite an interesting book. I read it years ago; the movie is very good as well. :lol:

What is the 'punishment' for not reviewing the book you receive? :) Do you have to send the book back?

I should have read this thread before signing up :):lol::D

What Is Art? by Leo Tolstoy

Synopsis

During his decades of world fame as a novelist, Tolstoy also wrote prolifically in a series of essays and polemics on issues of morality, social justice and religion. These works culminated in What is Art?, published in 1898. Impassioned and iconoclastic, this powerfully influential work both criticizes the elitist nature of art in nineteenth-century Western society, and rejects the idea that its sole purpose should be the creation of beauty. The works of Dante, Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Beethoven, Baudelaire and Wagner are all vigorously condemned, as Tolstoy explores what he believes to be the spiritual role of the artist - arguing that true art must work with religion and science as a force for the advancement of mankind.

YIKES!!!

Oh.. I love The Hunting of the Snark! back in the early 90's, it was made into a musical, and me and my friends got free tickets as nursing students.. we loved it! :)

Link here

'They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; they pursued it with forks and hope; they threatened its life with a railway share; they charmed it with smiles and soap'. Ever since Lewis Carroll's nonsense epic appeared in 1876 readers have joined his ten-man Snark-hunting crew and pursued the search with great enthusiasm. What are they hunting for? What is the Snark? Numerous theories have been proposed. Carroll himself provides a helpful. Preface to the poem and is recorded as having explained to one reader: 'In answer to your question, 'What did you mean the Snark was?' will you tell your friend that I meant that the Snark was a Boojum. I trust that she and you will now feel quite satisfied and happy.'

What is the 'punishment' for not reviewing the book you receive? :D Do you have to send the book back?

Good question :)

Well I still don't have an email. They mustn't want me:cry2::lol:

I've just signed up and I'm getting a book

Are you sure you put your email in correctly. My email came straight away.

Yea me too! Signed up 5 mins ago. Sorry Ice cream, maybe the email was wrong?

I got Selected Writings but it doesn't say who by. There were 4 or 5 with that title. One was by a 12th century nun!! If its the Thomas Aquinas I'd be interested in that.

I'm starting to regret - I hope my book isn't too heavy!