Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2015

Little Pixie

Really? Yikes :/

Bear in mind that I'm a bit backwards when it comes to computers, and I don't like change. :rolleyes:

Did you jump from 7 to 10? If so, I can understand how it would be confusing, it's very different and had I not used 8 it would have taken me much longer to get used to it.

I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago which has 8 on it, which I do find confusing but have (sort of) become accustomed to. Maybe it was just having a second change in such a short time that short-circuited my brain . . . :giggle2: I just really dislike the whole interface. Too similar to the Xbox One dashboard, which I also find confusing.

Yeah, I think it's just me. :giggle2:

Glad it's working for you Pixie! Maybe I'll drag myself out of the dark ages and try it again . . . :hide:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Windows 7. I was hoping 10 would be better than 8 (the latter of which looks so confusing and unhandy to me). Hopefully in a few more months some bugs have been ironed out (and then there's of course support for the programs I normally use). Like Laura, it takes me a while too to get adjusted to a change and I'm not normally fond of change. That said, I was hesitant at first but I prefer Windows 7 over XP now. I wasn't overly keen on Windows Vista, and preferred XP over Vista when I first had to use Vista (my university laptop came preinstalled with Vista and my desktop computer had XP). I prefer Windows 7 (desktop computer) over Vista (laptop).

I think one of the sticking points with Windows 10 (and 8 for that matter) is that it is designed with touch screen computers in mind. I use it on a touch screen computer and it makes a fair bit of sense but I will not install it on my desktop computer at the moment because Windows 7 just feels right for it.

I upgraded to Windows 10 at the weekend.  The only problem(s) I had was that it didn't hold onto the drivers for my graphics card (easily rectified) and I had to get the latest version of iTunes before it would recognise my iPod (more a problem with iTunes than Windows 10, I think).  Apart from that it went smooth as silk and, touch wood, my pc seems to be running faster than ever.

Microsoft Edge is a piece of shhhhhhh, though :rolleyes:  I used it for five minutes then immediately switched to Waterfox :lol:

I think one of the sticking points with Windows 10 (and 8 for that matter) is that it is designed with touch screen computers in mind. I use it on a touch screen computer and it makes a fair bit of sense but I will not install it on my desktop computer at the moment because Windows 7 just feels right for it.

Yes, that is one of my main issues with them too.

I upgraded to Windows 10 at the weekend. The only problem(s) I had was that it didn't hold onto the drivers for my graphics card (easily rectified) and I had to get the latest version of iTunes before it would recognise my iPod (more a problem with iTunes than Windows 10, I think). Apart from that it went smooth as silk and, touch wood, my pc seems to be running faster than ever.

Microsoft Edge is a piece of shhhhhhh, though :rolleyes: I used it for five minutes then immediately switched to Waterfox :lol:

Indeed, drivers are often a problem with new operating systems. This is why I prefer to wait until preferably the first Service Pack is out, so that my older things are supported, as well as programs like a good firewall, a good virus scanner etc etc.

I hadn't actually heard of Waterfox nor Microsoft Edge before. Is Waterfox a bit like Firefox?

Well, I didn`t want to even try 8, `cos it looked and felt `wrong` to me, so I feel like we`re equal Luddites.  ;)

'Wrong' is exactly the right word. Even though I'm slowly getting used to 8 I still don't like it.

DOWN WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY! :D

Windows 10 is confusing SF.  Like Pixie, my computer seems faster now.  I'm still undecided whether I like it or not.  I don't like the new Edge browser, but I use Google anyway.

Thank you! Glad it's not just me. I forgot about Edge - yet another thing I really disliked!

I use Windows 7. I was hoping 10 would be better than 8 (the latter of which looks so confusing and unhandy to me). Hopefully in a few more months some bugs have been ironed out (and then there's of course support for the programs I normally use). Like Laura, it takes me a while too to get adjusted to a change and I'm not normally fond of change. That said, I was hesitant at first but I prefer Windows 7 over XP now. I wasn't overly keen on Windows Vista, and preferred XP over Vista when I first had to use Vista (my university laptop came preinstalled with Vista and my desktop computer had XP). I prefer Windows 7 (desktop computer) over Vista (laptop).

You're right, I suppose everything takes time to get used to. Some of us just take longer than others . . . :D

Indeed, drivers are often a problem with new operating systems. This is why I prefer to wait until preferably the first Service Pack is out, so that my older things are supported, as well as programs like a good firewall, a good virus scanner etc etc.

I hadn't actually heard of Waterfox nor Microsoft Edge before. Is Waterfox a bit like Firefox?

It's the 64-bit version of Firefox.  My security software automatically sorted itself out and came up with a message that it had been optimised for Windows 10.  Quite impressed with that.

'Wrong' is exactly the right word. Even though I'm slowly getting used to 8 I still don't like it.

DOWN WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY! :D

I wonder if I`d`ve been one of those people sticking to papyrus rolls when everyone else had upgraded to books.  :blush2:  :giggle2:

It's the 64-bit version of Firefox.  My security software automatically sorted itself out and came up with a message that it had been optimised for Windows 10.  Quite impressed with that.

Thanks - that saved me needing to look it up too.  ;)

Oops, cat alert ! Someone needs lunch.  :smile:

Probably. :lol: Papyrus would be a bit advanced for me - I'd probably never have got past cave painting. :giggle2:

Some of those cave paintings look really good, ie, you can tell what they look like. Perhaps they had an abstract section for the less artistic. Like with splodges.  :giggle2:

Especially if you had to use Microsoft Edge in order to do so :lol:

It`s that bad ?? Or does a sign come up saying ` You are here`.   :blink:

BTW, the bottom RHS of my screen says ENG - UK keyboard, but my time and date are now in the US parlance ( month/day/year ). Is it affecting anyone else ?  :smile:

Hmm, have got Windows 10 now - have to get used to another version of Spider Solitaire again. *sigh*

/groan/  I don't know if I'll upgrade or not.  We have 8.1 on the desktops, and Windows 7 on the laptops,  The desktops are touch screens, but the laptops are not, so what's the use?  I've read all sorts of things about the privacy issue with 10, so it's put me off.

/groan/  I don't know if I'll upgrade or not.  We have 8.1 on the desktops, and Windows 7 on the laptops,  The desktops are touch screens, but the laptops are not, so what's the use?  I've read all sorts of things about the privacy issue with 10, so it's put me off.

I read those too ; when you`re installing, you can click for privacy and about 9 separate things come up which you have to individually click.   :smile:

I know what you mean though - we briefly had Facebook, but every week, there seemed to be another privacy scandal.  :doh:

I read those too ; when you`re installing, you can click for privacy and about 9 separate things come up which you have to individually click.   :smile:

Yep, and disable that Cortana nonsense  :smile:   Plus it doesn't have to be done when installing, you can go into the settings and do it at any point  :smile:

It`s that bad ?? Or does a sign come up saying ` You are here`.   :blink:

BTW, the bottom RHS of my screen says ENG - UK keyboard, but my time and date are now in the US parlance ( month/day/year ). Is it affecting anyone else ?  :smile:

Haven't noticed the date time thing - I'll have a look when I get home.

And yeah, Edge is really that bad.  I wanted to copy and paste a link from Photobucket into a post on here and it wouldn't let me do it :rolleyes:

And yeah, Edge is really that bad.  I wanted to copy and paste a link from Photobucket into a post on here and it wouldn't let me do it :rolleyes:

* Shakes little fist in sympathy * 

Haven't noticed the date time thing - I'll have a look when I get home.

Thanks.  :smile:

No problem with the date setting on my pc, Sarah :shrug:

Here's a handy article about all the privacy settings you can change: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/the-windows-10-privacy-settings-you-need-to-change-right-now-1301257

No problem with the date setting on my pc, Sarah :shrug:

Here's a handy article about all the privacy settings you can change: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/the-windows-10-privacy-settings-you-need-to-change-right-now-1301257

Thanks Steve.  :D

I find I don`t have Cortana either, `cos I don`t seem to be really in the Uk or something.  :blink:  I`m not interested anyway, but searching, other people seem to have the same glitch.  :mellow:

• 5 weeks later...

Books read : 133                        TBR 794             New Books Bought : 154                      Total Cost : £ 457.12

Rats. Kafka on the Shore ( cheap at £2.81 ) was lost in the post. Grrr. 

Books bought -

Helen MacInnes - Cloak of Darkness

Marco Vichi - Death in August

Lauren Weisberger - The Devil Wears Prada

Melvyn Bragg - The Soldier`s Return               all 50p each.

Jonathan Stroud - The Amulet of Samarkand        £1

Books read : 133                        TBR 798             New Books Bought : 158                      Total Cost : £ 457.31

Books read : 133                        TBR 794             New Books Bought : 154                      Total Cost : £ 457.12

Rats. Kafka on the Shore ( cheap at £2.81 ) was lost in the post. Grrr. 

Books bought -

Helen MacInnes - Cloak of Darkness

Marco Vichi - Death in August

Lauren Weisberger - The Devil Wears Prada

Melvyn Bragg - The Soldier`s Return               all 50p each.

Jonathan Stroud - The Amulet of Samarkand        £1

Books read : 133                        TBR 798             New Books Bought : 158                      Total Cost : £ 457.31