Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interested to see what you make of the collection as a whole. 

Thanks to your reviews we all know that if we read this collection we should skip the first four stories :lol:

Yes, and a few others :rolleyes: They are getting better, although I have yet to find anything :eek:  I got to the one dystopian (which I gotta say props again to Howey for not letting his genre rule the roost), which was good.  I am hoping for some gems though.

Edited by Anna Begins

Gilead.jpg

Title: Gilead

Author: Marilynne Robinson

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 289

Dates: On and off from 3/9- 3/23

Synopsis (from Amazon):

Toward the end of Reverend John Ames's life, he begins a letter to his young son. Ames is the son of an Iowan preacher and the grandson of a minister who, as a young man in Maine, saw a vision of Christ bound in chains and came west to Kansas to fight for abolition. Reverend Ames writes to his son about the tension between his father--an ardent pacifist--and his grandfather, whose pistol and bloody shirts, concealed in an army blanket, may be relics from the fight between the abolitionists and those settlers who wanted to vote Kansas into the union as a slave state.  This is also the tale of another remarkable vision--not a corporeal vision of God but the vision of life as a wondrously strange creation. It tells how wisdom was forged in Ames's soul during his solitary life, and how history lives through generations, pervasively present even when betrayed and forgotten.

Gilead is a hymn of praise and lamentation to the God-haunted existence that Reverend Ames loves passionately, and from which he will soon part.

My thoughts:

Winner of the 2005 Pulitzer Prize, Gilead had me intrigued from the very beginning, I knew I would buy it before I had finished the sample. 

Gilead (as in, Iowa) is a beautifully written book, descriptive in emotions rather than in actions.  In a letter to his 7 year old son, a man dying of old age tells his beloved son stories- of his forefathers and the wars they fought, of his life, how he cherishes the boy’s mother, and the wishes he has for his son in the life he has ahead.  In a poignant moment, Ames points out that the end of his life will be unknown to him, but will be known to his son.  I absolutely loved this book, every word, from the very beginning. 

Constantly aware of his advanced years and the youth of his young son, one memorable moment has Ames realize just what sort of life and death predicament he is in, when he re-connects with his namesake and is stunned at how tall the man has gotten.  Then he realizes, it is he who has gotten shorter with age.  Ames accepts what is happening to him, but still has moments we can all identify having at the end of our lives- like realizing he never really had enough youth, and that it was over before he was done with it.

I wish I had more pictures of myself as a younger man, I suppose because I believe that as you read this I will not be old, and when I see you, at the end of your good long life, neither of us will be old.

I'm glad you liked this book :)!

I've now read 11 short stories of the collection, most of them I scored relatively low. There were a couple though that I liked and found quite enjoyable, though indeed like you say, no gems yet, for me also. They are very much suited to read though for "on the go", when one has a spare couple of moments. Reading them back to back for a longer amount of time, like you can do with a full length novel, isn't as enjoyable, in my opinion. Still, you can't beat the price of free. I do find so far, that while I like the variety in genres a lot, it seems so far some genres are more represented than others. But of course, I've only read 11 out of 101, so maybe it'll change up more later on.

I'm glad you liked this book :)!

I do find so far, that while I like the variety in genres a lot, it seems so far some genres are more represented than others. But of course, I've only read 11 out of 101, so maybe it'll change up more later on.

Thanks- it was beautiful and heartbreaking.

There is a Table of Contents by genre, you can see how many are in each one.  I find there is a lot of Paranormal, a genre I am not very familiar with, so that is different for me.  The science fiction ones are all so varied, but the genre is too, so.  :)

We'll have to agree to disagree about Gilead. I read it a few years ago for my book group - I've just dug this bit of my review out of the archives:

Robinson at times treats us to wonderfully lyrical phrases, but on the whole, I found it difficult to keep track of characters, as they were mostly referred to as "my father", "his father", "your father" and "their father" rather than by name, and I found it a challenge to remember or figure out which character and which period was being recounted at any time, and was only more confused by the non-linear (and to be honest, mostly non-existent) storyline. I also don't think it gives enough development to characters other than the narrator, or explains the history or events in enough detail to be fully successful.

I don't remember it in detail, but I know I struggled to keep going, but that's probably because I'm like my books to have a strong plot, and I don't often do well with character studies. From what I remember, in our group discussion, some people absolutely loved it, but it was definitely one that divided opinions amongst us. :)

I can see your point about the storyline, but I have to disagree about the characters, I thought the one- eyed, gun toting grandfather, Ames' Atheist brother Edward (despite being only in the book in small amounts), Ames' shy wife and his namesake, Jack, were the strongest characters.  But I saw it more of an emotion book than an event type book, like you said, not a strong plot but more a character study.  Interesting comments, thank you!  It was a different kind of book that I have been reading lately :readingtwo:

man%20ended%20world.jpgtaste.jpg

Title: The Man Who Ended the World

Author: Jason Gurley

Genre: Apocalyptic, thriller, science fiction

Pages: 272 (abandoned)

Dates: 3/23- 3/24

From Amazon:

When Steven Glass's third grade teacher asked his class what they wanted to be when they grew up, Steven's classmates shouted the usual answers: "A fireman!" "A teacher!" "The President!" When his turn came, Steven said, "When I grow up I'm going to be the last man on Earth."

Warning signs don't come much clearer than that.

My thoughts:

The story immediately draws you in, as a kid trails Steven, The Man Who Ended the World before he ends the world.  The kid, Henry, happens to see Steven disappear into a secret hiding spot/ living space, Steven’s “Space Station” that is accessed through the trunk of a Chevrolet parked in a junkyard.  Steven is not crazy though, he is a billionaire living in a panic room the size of several football fields and with four levels, half a mile below the surface of the Earth.

The plot was a good idea and it started off well, but I would have loved the use of some quotations.  Actually, it got so ridiculous, I couldn’t even keep track of who was speaking to who and when someone was speaking or when they were just thinking internally.  It is such a turn off, that I am abandoning the book.  But I can expect this from Jason Gurley, his work has been hit and miss.  And while I have been wanting to read this for awhile and it is disappointing, at least I can move on to something else.  Luckily this was in A Taste of Tomorrow: A Dystopian Box Set, which was either free or $1 and I will be trying others in the series as there will be some good ones for sure, as an example Yesterday’s Gone Season One by Sean Platt and David Wright was included in this 11 book volume (which is free in its own right and yes, does use quotations). 

Disappointing.

I really enjoyed the review of Gilead. It might be extra interesting for me because my school is in an area where the bushwackers and jayhawkers fought a lot. I'm guessing that's what is meant by fighting for abolition in Kansas. If not, still interesting.  :smile:

Such a shame about the editing in The Man Who Ended the World :(. I think my Kindle edition probably has the same faults as yours. It would totally confuse me too, to not have any quotation marks.

I hope you enjoy Plain Truth :)!

Great review of Gilead.  :smile:

Thanks!  Much appreciated!

I really enjoyed the review of Gilead. It might be extra interesting for me because my school is in an area where the bushwackers and jayhawkers fought a lot. I'm guessing that's what is meant by fighting for abolition in Kansas. If not, still interesting.  :smile:

I think you would enjoy it, I had you in mind as I read it!

Such a shame about the editing in The Man Who Ended the World :(. I think my Kindle edition probably has the same faults as yours. It would totally confuse me too, to not have any quotation marks.

I hope you enjoy Plain Truth :)!

:banghead:  It was unreadable.  Which is annoying because I have liked some of Jason Gurley's other work.

I am really liking Plain Truth- thanks!  I love that it centers around the Amish.  When we went to Lancaster, Pennsylvania (oddly the news pronounce it LAY- cay- ster), we saw lots of Amish.  Of course, we went down a few side streets and ended up near their farms. All over Penn. are true and rip off goods from the Amish- quilts, chairs, benches, carvings, etc.  We even saw yellow signs with a buggy and horse silhouette on it, to warn motorists to use caution.  :P

I'm just wondering about your library haul :P  :readingtwo:

:banghead:  It was unreadable.  Which is annoying because I have liked some of Jason Gurley's other work.

I am really liking Plain Truth- thanks!  I love that it centers around the Amish.  When we went to Lancaster, Pennsylvania (oddly the news pronounce it LAY- cay- ster), we saw lots of Amish.  Of course, we went down a few side streets and ended up near their farms. All over Penn. are true and rip off goods from the Amish- quilts, chairs, benches, carvings, etc.  We even saw yellow signs with a buggy and horse silhouette on it, to warn motorists to use caution.  :P

Totally annoying :(!

I'm glad to hear that! And wow, that's pretty special :).

I will post about it :)!! I've just been tired :blush2:.

Thanks!  Much appreciated!

I think you would enjoy it, I had you in mind as I read it!

Awh good! It is definitely the type of book that would make me think, which I love  :D

I'm so glad you're enjoying Plain Truth, because I liked it a lot as well 

Great review of 'The Man Who Ended The World' I agree about the typos, etc, I found it was the same when I read 'The Last Raider-Rider' :) I have added 'Gilead' to my wishlist. :)

Great review of 'The Man Who Ended The World' I agree about the typos, etc, I found it was the same when I read 'The Last Raider-Rider' :) I have added 'Gilead' to my wishlist. :)

Oh lord, it was terrible, was it not?? :giggle2: I read The Caretaker and The Dark Age, both of which were good and short, they didn't have the editorial problems so, ya he is hit or miss for me.  I am guessing the editorial ones are his first independent ones, the better ones might be professionally published?  I am not sure with Gurley, I just found him via Howey.  He seems to have great ideas, some of them just don't work out.  Thanks for telling me about The Last Rail- Rider (is that the same story?), that was my next read of his.

plain%20truth.jpg

Title: Plain Truth: A Novel

Author: Jodi Picoult

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 432

Dates: 3/24- 3/30 with two days off

Like most books I have read this year, I really had no idea what to expect with Plain Truth.  This was my first Jodi Picoult novel, Schultz liked it a lot, it’s about Amish culture and a trail, that’s about as much as I knew.

My Synopsis: 

Ellie Hathaway is an up and coming defense attorney in Philadelphia.  Suffering guilt after successfully defending a man she knew to be guilty, Ellie goes back to her childhood roots, to Paradise, Pennsylvania for a break and to think about her decision to be a defense attorney.  Unmarried and childless at 39 years old, Ellie reluctantly takes the case of a young Amish woman, who may or may not have killed her premature newborn. 

My thoughts:

Reminiscent of Chris Bohjalian’s Midwives, the cast of Katie, with Ellie fighting for her against a charge of neonaticide is a captivating read, the pacing is good and even had me staying up a bit late to finish, even with a lay down on the couch (which I never do) to relax and enjoy the end.  And the end is quite stunning, I never saw it coming.  Katie was a good, strong character, as was Ellie.  A few other main characters could have used some more development, but except in the case two or three stereotypical characters, one extremely important, one sort of and the other not so much, can be overlooked.  I loved all the Amish culture, having seen and witnessed the way of life in my travels in Pennsylvania.  It was interesting to see behind the scenes of such a different way of life.  And Picoult writes it well.

Woohoo, you finished it!! Great review, I'm so glad you liked it :).

Yes, the last 200+ pages all in one go!  The trial part really picked up the action, I was worried it would slow things down, as I don't like to get mired down in courtroom dramas.

I'm glad you liked it! I had a lot of the same opinions about it :)

Thanks for the recommendation.  I wish I had written a better review, I usually begin notes around 30%, but this book really didn't need too many.  Straight forward, some twists and an easy read.  I think I will choose Nineteen Minutes next, as I will definitely continue to read her work.

Yes, the last 200+ pages all in one go!  The trial part really picked up the action, I was worried it would slow things down, as I don't like to get mired down in courtroom dramas.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I wish I had written a better review, I usually begin notes around 30%, but this book really didn't need too many.  Straight forward, some twists and an easy read.  I think I will choose Nineteen Minutes next, as I will definitely continue to read her work.

Yeah I have that problem with a lot of books I read. They're so straight forward that I don't have a lot to say. 

Wow, that's a lot of pages in one go! I'm glad you really liked the book. I was thinking of reading Nineteen Minutes as my next Picoult read as well, or Plain Truth. We could always read Nineteen Minutes together if we both feel like reading it around the same time, I mean if you want to. Don't feel pressured though, we don't have to read it together or anything. It was just a thought. I won't be reading a Picoult book soon after the previous one so I don't think I'll be reading any in the next month or so, anyway, but I just wanted to mention it. I'm glad you liked this book and want to read more of Picoult's books. She is one of my favourite contemporary fiction authors.

Yeah I have that problem with a lot of books I read. They're so straight forward that I don't have a lot to say.

I get this problem too, sometimes I feel some of my reviews sound a bit samey.. 'great characters, good plot twists, nice writing style...' etc. I'm not sure what to do about it though, if I enjoyed a book, I enjoyed a book.

I can't quote you Gaia, because of having to respond on my Kindle, but that sounds great!

Schultz, have a good time on vacation, I am guessing Spring Break?

Wow, that's a lot of pages in one go! I'm glad you really liked the book. I was thinking of reading Nineteen Minutes as my next Picoult read as well, or Plain Truth. We could always read Nineteen Minutes together if we both feel like reading it around the same time, I mean if you want to. Don't feel pressured though, we don't have to read it together or anything. It was just a thought. I won't be reading a Picoult book soon after the previous one so I don't think I'll be reading any in the next month or so, anyway, but I just wanted to mention it. I'm glad you liked this book and want to read more of Picoult's books. She is one of my favourite contemporary fiction authors.

I get this problem too, sometimes I feel some of my reviews sound a bit samey.. 'great characters, good plot twists, nice writing style...' etc. I'm not sure what to do about it though, if I enjoyed a book, I enjoyed a book.

Yes I feel the same with mine. I feel like with the books that I like I say the same thing over and over. Especially when I read the same author or genre over and over I feel like I've already said everything I need to say ten times. 

I can't quote you Gaia, because of having to respond on my Kindle, but that sounds great!

Schultz, have a good time on vacation, I am guessing Spring Break?

Yes, spring break! I'm in Walt Disney World Florida  :D