Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2015

Kylie

Wow, harsh words! :P I think I remember it being implied near the start that he wasn't a typical astronaut and nowhere near the same level as the rest of them, so that kind of set me up for his attitude I guess. What *almost* put me off once, and resulted in docked marks, was actually the technical stuff, which, like you said, was a little much at times, but fortunately still interesting.

And oooh, disturbing, I like the sound of that!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Goodreads, The Martian has a rating of 4.36 from nearly 70,000 ratings. That's really impressive; I rarely see books rated that well on GR. I'm a little surprised that the technical aspects didn't put more people off. I guess it goes to show how good the plot is!

I was so excited by Poppyshake's discussion of the Marrying Mr Darcy card game that I may have just ordered it online.  :blush2: And because the website had a flat postage fee no matter how many things you ordered, I figured I should make use of it and order a few books as well.  :blush2: I usually don't post about books until I actually receive them, but I'm so excited by my order that I have to announce it now:

Alan Bradley The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

Matt Haig The Humans

MRC Kasasian The Mangle Street Murders

Now, I know that multiple people have recommended these books, but I can't help but notice that all four items I have just ordered have one person in particular in common: Poppyshake! (OK, you haven't read The Humans yet, but it's on your TBR pile, so I'm counting it  :giggle2:). You have a lot to answer for, woman! :P

I was also going to buy the expansion pack for the card game, but it wasn't in stock and I didn't want it holding up the rest of my order. :)

Ooh, fab choices, Kylie! :smile2:

You're absolutely right about poppyshake … she makes everything good she reads sound unmissable.  Fortunately, she bought me the Alan Bradley book for Christmas, and I've already read The Humans, so it's just The Mangle Street Murders that will make it's way on to my Kindle from her your list. :giggle2:  Hope you enjoy them all :D

You're absolutely right about poppyshake … she makes everything good she reads sound unmissable.  Fortunately, she bought me the Alan Bradley book for Christmas, and I've already read The Humans, so it's just The Mangle Street Murders that will make it's way on to my Kindle from her your list. :giggle2:  Hope you enjoy them all :D

Yes indeed, The Human and The Mangle Street Murders are excellent! Good haul there Kylie  :smile:

I'm glad you liked The Martian, though it's a shame about the annoying style.

I hope you enjoy your new books when they get there :)! I loved The Humans, such a brilliant book.

Aha! So I can blame you three as well. :P I love being able to blame my weakness on others.  :giggle2:

Yep, Chesil, Poppyshake has a lot to answer for! (Thank her for me the next time you see her, will you? :giggle:)

Athena, I can't remember...have you read The Martian? If not, I hope I haven't put you off reading it. Once you get past the style (and I know it's not a problem for most people), it's really, really good!

Aha! So I can blame you three as well. :P I love being able to blame my weakness on others.  :giggle2:

Guilty as charged! :giggle2:

Athena, I can't remember...have you read The Martian? If not, I hope I haven't put you off reading it. Once you get past the style (and I know it's not a problem for most people), it's really, really good!

I haven't read it yet, I do want to read it. I did read some of the free short stories by the author and I liked those. The book is / was on my wishlist but now that I'm busy splitting my original wishlist into 'books I really want to own' and 'books I want to borrow from the library' I think it might go into the second one, and then if I really like it I could always get my own copy (if the library has it, that is.). Of course, if I were to find a copy cheap somewhere I'd probably buy it :giggle2:. I'm doing my best this year to not order anything online or buy books that cost a bit, unless I really, desperately want them, and instead am borrowing library books, buying ex-library copies and buying books at the charity shop.

I was so excited by Poppyshake's discussion of the Marrying Mr Darcy card game that I may have just ordered it online.  :blush2: And because the website had a flat postage fee no matter how many things you ordered, I figured I should make use of it and order a few books as well.   I usually don't post about books until I actually receive them, but I'm so excited by my order that I have to announce it now:

Alan Bradley The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

Matt Haig The Humans

MRC Kasasian The Mangle Street Murders

Now, I know that multiple people have recommended these books, but I can't help but notice that all four items I have just ordered have one person in particular in common: Poppyshake! (OK, you haven't read The Humans yet, but it's on your TBR pile, so I'm counting it  :giggle2:). You have a lot to answer for, woman! :P

I was also going to buy the expansion pack for the card game, but it wasn't in stock and I didn't want it holding up the rest of my order.

:hide:  :D 

I do wish we could play the card game together Kylie  :hug: .. what larks! :D

I am fairly confident about The Mangle Street Murders and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag .. yes .. I think you will love them :unsure:  Alan is reading The Humans at the moment as Claire bought it for him and judging by how much he's been laughing and reading bits out I would say that it's a great read too. I'm going to nab it off him when he's finished :D

That'll be a very exciting parcel when it turns up :smile:  

That was quite a collection of new books that you purchased. I hope that you enjoy them one and all. Do you have many books on your TBR list?

Muggles, I'm perilously close to having 2000 books on my TBR pile. :o

:hide:  :D 

I do wish we could play the card game together Kylie  :hug: .. what larks! :D

I am fairly confident about The Mangle Street Murders and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag .. yes .. I think you will love them :unsure:  Alan is reading The Humans at the moment as Claire bought it for him and judging by how much he's been laughing and reading bits out I would say that it's a great read too. I'm going to nab it off him when he's finished :D

That'll be a very exciting parcel when it turns up :smile:  

I'm sure we'll get to play it together one day!  :friends3: I will visit you! The order has already been marked as shipped, just a few hours after I placed it! Hopefully I'll receive it on Tuesday. :)

I'm always lagging behind in book trends. :D 

Gathering Blue is going well. It's a fast read; I'm already halfway through. It has different characters to The Giver, but it's set in the same world.

Gathering Blue is going well. It's a fast read; I'm already halfway through. It has different characters to The Giver, but it's set in the same world.

Hey- me too :giggle2: I didn't even do The Giver group read, even though it's on my 2015 long short list :D In fact, I'd like to hop on The Mangle Street Murders, but I am so backed up because January was such a bad month for me!

Phew! Glad he's enjoying it … and it he's laughing and reading bits out, I guess it won't take him too long to finish, and you'll be able to pick it up then! :lol:

You're absolutely right about poppyshake … she makes everything good she reads sound unmissable.  Fortunately, she bought me the Alan Bradley book for Christmas, and I've already read The Humans, so it's just The Mangle Street Murders that will make it's way on to my Kindle from her your list. :giggle2:  Hope you enjoy them all.

I enthuse about most books  :blush2: I'm not discerning  :D Lots of people also loved The Mangle Street Murders though so it's not just me getting carried away. I'm listening to the second one now .. I know you're going to get into this series Claire (and Kylie) .. you may as well just accept it now and mentally deduct the book costs from your bank balances  :D 

I'm sure we'll get to play it together one day!  :friends3: I will visit you! The order has already been marked as shipped, just a few hours after I placed it! Hopefully I'll receive it on Tuesday.

Good .. you must come and we must play it. It's all very well playing it with Alan but he's not going to have the same enthusiasm for marrying Mr Darcy as say .. you and I will  :D 

Phew! Glad he's enjoying it … and it he's laughing and reading bits out, I guess it won't take him too long to finish, and you'll be able to pick it up then! :lol:

When he's at home he's getting on great guns with it, he doesn't take it to Mum & Dad's though because it's impossible to read there .. nobody ever stops yakking  :D I think he'll probably finish it this week with luck :)

I'm partially wanting to read this since I enjoyed The Giver a lot, but I really liked the characters in that one and its almost a turn off to the rest of the books that they are different characters. 

I might consider reading all of them if I knew that in the end they converged. Otherwise I would be left frustrated  :blush2:

I enthuse about most books  :blush2: I'm not discerning  :D Lots of people also loved The Mangle Street Murders though so it's not just me getting carried away. I'm listening to the second one now .. I know you're going to get into this series Claire (and Kylie) .. you may as well just accept it now and mentally deduct the book costs from your bank balances  :D 

I already have! :lol:

When he's at home he's getting on great guns with it, he doesn't take it to Mum & Dad's though because it's impossible to read there .. nobody ever stops yakking  :D I think he'll probably finish it this week with luck :)

Excellent news … you won't be able to resist starting it once he's finished, so I'm expecting your views on it early next week. :giggle2:

Yep! I love this cover. :D In fact, all three books have beautiful covers.

Unfortunately I'm flat-out with work for the next couple of days, so I can't properly look at the card game just yet. :( It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. I thought it would be more Tarot-card-sized. Not that I'm complaining...bigger is better!  :giggle2:

Unfortunately I'm flat-out with work for the next couple of days, so I can't properly look at the card game just yet. :( It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. I thought it would be more Tarot-card-sized. Not that I'm complaining...bigger is better!  :giggle2:

:lol: I saw this when I was in Waterstones today and immediately thought of you and Kay. :giggle2: