Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww.  :D  I`ve got the next 3 in the series now ( after reading Book 1, Bruno Chief of Police ) - I`m looking forward to reading them next year.  :smile:

I hope you enjoy them :)

Oh, not like me at all either :giggle2: I think I still owe Gaia for last year :doh:

You do but that's okay :giggle2:. I look forward to get your card!

Wow- that took forever for them to arrive, I of course, will be eager to hear about the CRH.

Do you like giving reviews this way better?

I'll be sure to tell you about it when I've read it :).

I think I do, it costs me less time and effort. And I read so many books, I'd rather spend the time and energy reading more books, rather than writing long reviews. I don't get to show off the nice covers though. I guess I could maybe add those.

Wait til you all get to the dark side and ditch ratings all together :D

Haha, that's quite tempting, because sometimes I'm just not sure what to give it exactly. But Book Collector and GoodReads both want a rating. And it is nice to be able to pick out my favourites more easily by looking at the books with the highest ratings. 

Never! I must quantify my appreciation of books!

Haha, yep :D.

I read Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle - Let It Snow (****) (8/10).

I enjoyed reading the three stories, and the book gave me wintery feelings :coolsnow:. I did have a few issues with the main character of the second story, and I would've liked for the stories to explore some of the issues they discuss, more. I liked how the stories intertwined. Overall though it was an enjoyable winter-read :xmassmile:.

18272314.jpg

I read Chrissy Manby - Benson Family 3: A Proper Family Adventure (*****) (9/10). I didn't like it as much as the first two books in the series, but it was still enjoyable.

25439004.jpg

I've just started to read book 4 in the series, A Wedding at Christmas.

I received a Kindle ebook pre-order:

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 5: An Unexpected Wedding

I read Chrissy Manby - Benson Family 4: A Wedding at Christmas (*****) (10/10).

This book was better than book 3, there was more conflict overall and also earlier on in the story. A great end to the series. All loose ends are tied up, so I presume this is the last book. Also, the cover contains shiny white glitter. I love it.

27320203.jpg

I also read Hans Andreus, Paul Biegel, Mies Bouhuys, Remco Campert, Mieke van Hooft, Valentine Kalwij, Harriet Laurey, Johanna Prins, Bas Rompa, Anne Takens and Diet Verschoor - Kinderverhalen rond Kerstmis (re-read) (****) (7/10).

This book contains children's Christmas and winter stories. Some stories were better than others. This book was never one of my favourites when I was a child, it was a gift from my grandparents. Some stories were really nice though.

(I wasn't able to find a nice picture of this book online, it is a nice cover though. It's got animals surrounding a small Christmas tree, and two children watching them through a window.)

I read:

Gabrielle Zevin - The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (*****) (10/10)

Note: this is I believe the same book as The Collected Works of A. J. Fikry. This was a great book. I really enjoyed it. There are lots of bookish conversations, including one fourth wall breaking one where A. J. comments to a police officer that he'd be "a side character" in the story. A very good book, especially if you like books (which.. well, we do here on BCF so :D).

25193260.jpg

Claire Allen - Tina Topper 6: Stapelverliefd (Hold On To Love) (re-read) (****) (8/10)

It was nice to re-read this teenage romantic story. I have a lot of books in this series, they are by lots of different authors (US, UK, NL). So there are translated books but also Dutch ones. I quite liked reading this romantic series for teenagers when I was a child. They are more for 13-year-olds than for 17-year-olds though. But anyway, I liked re-reading it. I also love the colours of the covers (the earlier ones, they look worse in this picture. The only picture I could find online of it.).

T4WLvbkulbqFeWmH357i.jpg

David Baldacci - Nachtwerk (Office Hours) (*****) (9/10)

This was pretty suspenseful. It's a novella I picked up in the charity shop, I'm glad I did. I didn't get on with the main character at first but by the end it was quite suspenseful and it keeps you guessing for a while. I did guess it by the end.

2914333.jpg

I read:

Elizabeth George - Betrapt (The Surprise of his Life) (*****) (9/10)

56 pages

This was a pretty good short story.

2962013.jpg

Henning Mankell - Kurt Wallander 9.5: Het Graf (Händelse Om Hösten) (*****) (9/10)

93 pages

This was my first Kurt Wallander book. I do own two more, but I wanted to read something short so I chose this novella instead. I quite liked the book.

2962001.jpg

Anne Rice, Ashley Marie Witter - The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (****) (8/10)

~256 pages (according to GoodReads, the book doesn't have page numbers unfortunately)

It's been a long time since I read Interview with the Vampire. I enjoyed this graphic novel, but I didn't like it as much as I liked the book. I feel in a book things are generally described more clearly, for me. It was a nice read though, the pictures were nice and it was nice to read the story from Claudia's point of view. I find her an interesting character.

16166837.jpg

I'm sorry if anyone misses my more detailed reviews :(. It costs me less energy and less time to make them a lot shorter. I just decided to add the page numbers.

I read Robin Cook - Autopsie (Drugs and Death in Key West) (*****) (9/10)(124 pages). I used to read a lot of Robin Cook's books (haha) when I was a teenager. So it was nostalgic in a way to read a book by him again. I'm unsure if I read this one before or not, I don't remember which specific ones I read or didn't read (and I don't remember many specific synopses). Anyway, it was really enjoyable to read this book and it was suspenseful.

9392085.jpg

(note: the author's name is actually blue and shiny, the lighting is totally off in this picture. You can read the author's name easily, normally, it has a similar colour as the blue near the bottom of the cover).

I read Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 1: A Meditation on Murder (*****) (10/10) (356 pages). It was a lot like the TV show. I liked it a lot, it was very suspenseful. I did guess 'whodunnit' near the end of the book. When you've seen a lot of episodes of the TV show, you start to see a pattern. That's the one issue I really have with the TV show, otherwise it's really good. But I do enjoy watching it so :). Anyway, about the book. It kept me on edge for a while and it wasn't until later in the book that I guessed right. It was very suspenseful and I really enjoyed reading it. I will definitely want to read any future Death in Paradise books the author writes (if he does).

23282789.jpg

I read Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 1: A Meditation on Murder (*****) (10/10) (356 pages). It was a lot like the TV show. I liked it a lot, it was very suspenseful. I did guess 'whodunnit' near the end of the book. When you've seen a lot of episodes of the TV show, you start to see a pattern. That's the one issue I really have with the TV show, otherwise it's really good. But I do enjoy watching it so :). Anyway, about the book. It kept me on edge for a while and it wasn't until later in the book that I guessed right. It was very suspenseful and I really enjoyed reading it. I will definitely want to read any future Death in Paradise books the author writes (if he does).

23282789.jpg

I`m glad you liked it too ; I felt like I was getting an extra episode with the previous inspector played by Ben Miller.  :D

I`m waiting for the next book to appear at a cheapie price.  :smile:

I'm sorry if anyone misses my more detailed reviews :(. It costs me less energy and less time to make them a lot shorter. I just decided to add the page numbers.

:friends3:  You need to save energy where you can.  :D

I`m so behind with my reviews - I think I`m going to go to a rating system and just do reviews for the books which I`d recommend to someone else.  :smile:

I`m glad you liked it too ; I felt like I was getting an extra episode with the previous inspector played by Ben Miller.  :D

I`m waiting for the next book to appear at a cheapie price.  :smile:

Yes, it was just like that :D.

Me too :)

:friends3:  You need to save energy where you can.  :D

I`m so behind with my reviews - I think I`m going to go to a rating system and just do reviews for the books which I`d recommend to someone else.  :smile:

Thanks, Sarah :friends3:!

That makes sense :).

I think the new review system is great!  It looks nice and works really well.

Thanks, Anna :)!

I read:

Catherine Ryan Hyde - Chasing Windmills (*****) (9/10)

385 pages

This was a good book but not as good as my favourites by the author. I liked it a lot more than most of her short stories though. The book was emotional but I'm not sure I was 100% keen on the ending.

6780659.jpg

Francine Oomen (ill. Philip Hopman) - Sam, Beer en Pip 1: Het Zwanenmeer (Maar Dan Anders) (****) (8/10)

96 pages

This was good, a bit over the top sometimes, but it was an enjoyable novella.

3232674.jpg

Karlijn Stoffels - Een-nul voor de Autisten (****) (8/10)

119 pages

This was a bit different than I was expecting, but it was enjoyable. I wished for a bit more detail on certain things though.

16177100.jpg

I'm creating a new post because it won't let me add the image to the above post.

I read Bies van Ede - Het Babymysterie (re-read) (*****) (9/10)

106 pages

I didn't remember much from this book, but I really enjoyed reading it. It was pretty suspenseful.

het%20babymysterie.jpg

Yes, it is. It's about three children and their father. Their father is constantly in his office trying to write a book but he says he has writer's block. One of the three in particular does all the work around the house. They are triplets but they are not alike, there is one boy and two girls. I quite like the cover too, and it does fit the story (to say more might be spoiling it).

I read:

Michael Grant - Gone 1: Gone (*****) (9/10)

570 pages

This book was quite enjoyable. It wasn't perfect but there were a lot of good elements and I quite enjoyed reading it. Not all questions are answered in this book, seeing as part of a series that makes sense. Some questions are answered though. The book contained action but also more dialogue heavy parts. It is quite fast-paced, I felt like a lot happened in the book. Each chapter starts with a countdown timer (see the back of the book), we're counting down from 299 hours 54 minutes. I won't say what that is about, you find out when you read the book.

The edges of the pages of my paperback book were bright neon yellow (like the title of the cover, see below) which I thought was really cool. The 6th book has black paper edges. It's a shame the other books in the series just have "normal" pages. I wouldn't want 'coloured' pages in all my books, but it would have been nice if all of the series' books had had the pages in different colours to match the titles on the books or such.

6473592.jpg