Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

Hmm. I've only read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, and I did enjoy it, but I also thought it was quite silly and a bit fluffy. I haven't read fangirl, but a friend of mine (who also writes fanfiction) loved it, so maybe I'll give that a go, and then this. I do like the sound of this one being a bit more fantasy.

Carry On is still a little bit fluffy, but it also has some sad moments in it. I would say it's definitely different from her other books, but not as different as reading a fantasy book by a whole other author (if that makes sense). You could try reading a sample?

I read Peter Atkins - Life is Short and so is This Book: Thoughts on Making the Most of Your Life (****) (8/10) yesterday, it was nice but not all of the 'thoughts' I agreed with or were applicable to my life (for example: I don't have nor want children). There were some nice things in the book though that I thought were quite good. Overall I liked reading it. I bought it last year, mainly because of the title to be honest :giggle2:.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Bram van Montfoort - Een Jaar Offline (****) (7/10), a biography of a Dutch student who was addicted to the internet and decided to be offline for a year. According to the back of the book he was the first person in the world to succesfully spend a year offline (this is not including people who didn't have internet to begin with, but including people who have a bit of an addiction). It was an interesting read, and it was nice to find out how Bram did the research for his study without the internet (it takes me back to when I was a child). But the book wasn't as good as I expected, I didn't always identify well with Bram and his parties and alcohol needs.

I also finished reading the Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels 1: The Eye of the World(****) (8/10) series by Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Andie Tong, Francis Nuguit, Marcio Fiontio and others. Yesterday I read volumes 17-35. Overall I would say I liked to see the characters come to life in drawings but the story isn't so suited for a graphic novel because there's quite a bit of text. I love the story though and it was great to see what certain locations and characters look like in the eye of the artists. Comfortwise, I found it very uncomfortable to read these on my computer and on my phone. I bought them DRM-free (PDFs), but since they are in colour and my e-reader can only show black-and-white, that isn't an option. The computer became uncomfortable (I can't look at the screen that long) and I wanted to sit on the sofa next to Michael, so I transferred the PDFs to my phone. That was a bit more comfortable, but awkward because I had to keep zooming in and out and moving the view around (haha) because the screen is only small, in order to read the text and see certain drawings better. I had to sometimes wait for it to load the next bit too. My comfort hasn't been included in the 8 / 10 rating, since I don't downgrade a book based on its format (otherwise hardcovers, with flappy bits, and Kindle book might get a lower rating than a medium or small sized paperback and that doesn't seem fair to the content).

Also, I was naughty and ordered 2 more books for myself, by Chrissie Manby (I had no idea she had written these new ones!). But because I'm so fed up with BookDepository's postal services (I STILL haven't received my second replacement copy from the book I ordered on Oct. 14, nor the book I ordered a few weeks ago :banghead:), I ordered them from a Dutch shop that was more expensive, but at least I'll know they'll get here before Christmas (one of them is Christmas themed so I want to read it before Christmas).

Although it should be said our post messed up twice this week, bringing us two letters for two different people, one who lives in a different street and different house number and one who lives in a different house in our street.

Also, I was naughty and ordered 2 more books for myself, by Chrissie Manby (I had no idea she had written these new ones!). But because I'm so fed up with BookDepository's postal services (I STILL haven't received my second replacement copy from the book I ordered on Oct. 14, nor the book I ordered a few weeks ago :banghead:), I ordered them from a Dutch shop that was more expensive, but at least I'll know they'll get here before Christmas (one of them is Christmas themed so I want to read it before Christmas).

Although it should be said our post messed up twice this week, bringing us two letters for two different people, one who lives in a different street and different house number and one who lives in a different house in our street.

New route for your Postie ?  :doh:

Grr - it`s rotten when books go missing. :(

Comfortwise, I found it very uncomfortable to read these on my computer and on my phone. I bought them DRM-free (PDFs), but since they are in colour and my e-reader can only show black-and-white, that isn't an option. The computer became uncomfortable (I can't look at the screen that long) and I wanted to sit on the sofa next to Michael, so I transferred the PDFs to my phone. That was a bit more comfortable, but awkward because I had to keep zooming in and out and moving the view around (haha) because the screen is only small, in order to read the text and see certain drawings better. I had to sometimes wait for it to load the next bit too.

That's dedication :lol:

I also finished reading the Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels 1: The Eye of the World(****) (8/10) series by Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Andie Tong, Francis Nuguit, Marcio Fiontio and others. Yesterday I read volumes 17-35. Overall I would say I liked to see the characters come to life in drawings but the story isn't so suited for a graphic novel because there's quite a bit of text. I love the story though and it was great to see what certain locations and characters look like in the eye of the artists.

:o

Is that to be expected though?? :giggle2:

October 14th is my brother's birthday :)  And I am sure Santa will still visit even if you are naughty :giggle2:

New route for your Postie ?  :doh:

Grr - it`s rotten when books go missing. :(

Yeah, I don't know what happened :(. I hope they will still show up, but I fear they won't. 

That's dedication :lol:

Haha, yep :).

:o

Is that to be expected though?? :giggle2:

Yes :lol:. I didn't word that very well. I meant there's quite a bit of text in the graphic novel, more than in other graphic novels I've read (which doesn't say much as I haven't read that many of them).

October 14th is my brother's birthday :)  And I am sure Santa will still visit even if you are naughty :giggle2:

Yes :). That's interesting that I ordered my birthday gifts on that same day. Haha :P.

Recently, I read:

Fanny Blake - QuickReads: Red for Revenge (****) (8/10) (this was an enjoyable story)

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 25: Waar Is Tijger? (The BabySitter's Club 25: Mary Anne and the Search for Tigger) (re-read) (*****) (10/10)

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 27: Jessie En De Tv-Ster (The BabySitter's Club 27: Jessi and the Superbrat) (re-read) (*****) (10/10)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 16: De Cock en het Dodelijk Akkoord (*****) (9/10) (this was good!)

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 13 (*****) (9/10) (the last one I have! Snif, what next? I could re-read the smaller pockets, maybe. I don't know yet.)

Terry Deary and Peter Hepplewhite - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Eeuwige Egyptenaren (Horrible Histories: The Awesome Egyptians) (re-read) (****) (8/10)

George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 7: A Game of Thrones Boek 7 (****) (8/10) (* note with these, the Dutch editions seem to be two English comic books combined, so the numbers are not the same as in English)

George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 8: A Game of Thrones Boek 8 (****) (8/10)

George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 11: A Game of Thrones Boek 11 (****) (8/10)

George R.R. Martin, Ben Avery and Mike S. Miller - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels: De Hagenridder 2: De Hagenridder Boek 2 (***) (6/10) (this reminded me of why I didn't really get along with the original novel)

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 4: An Unexpected Proposal (****) (8/10) (these are shorter than I'd like them to be, but now that I'm invested in the series, I want to read them all.)

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love 4: Second Chance Thanksgiving (****) (8/10) (it was good to read book 4, I had read books 1-3 and 5 but not yet 4. Things make more sense now)

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 1: Episode One (****) (8/10)

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 2: Episode Two (****) (8/10) (this ended on such a cliffhanger that I had to buy the next installment, which luckily has just been published)

And I bought these Kindle ebooks:

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 3: Episode Three

Shawn Inmon - A True Love Story 1: Feels like the first time

Shawn Inmon - Christmas Town

Shawn Inmon - Lucky Man

Shawn Inmon - Chad Stinson Goes for a Walk: A Short Tale of Obsession and Possession

I'm very tempted by the Wheel of Time graphic novel - have they covered the whole of the first book, and do you know it how many graphic novels?

Concerning your issues with Book Depository, have you tried Wordery? Their prices seem to vary a lot, some are expensive, some reasonable - but my first experience of their postage was excellent. 

I'm very tempted by the Wheel of Time graphic novel - have they covered the whole of the first book, and do you know it how many graphic novels?

Concerning your issues with Book Depository, have you tried Wordery? Their prices seem to vary a lot, some are expensive, some reasonable - but my first experience of their postage was excellent.

Yes, they covered the whole first book. There are 36 graphic novels, issues #1-35 + #1.5 (I have no idea why they decided to do it that way, as it seemed to me 1.5 is just part of the story meant to be read after #1). I believe there are also bindups available of several issues combined. I bought them from HumbleBundle during a limited offer, I don't know about the availability of the bindups.

I hadn't heard of Wordery before, but I shall certainly check them out, thanks :)!

Read-a-thon 2015 Statistics Summary

As per Nollaig's idea, I calculated my total read-a-thon statistics and which month was best and such. Below follow the results as well as some graphs. It's quite interesting, in many ways August and April score best because they were respectively 7 and 5 days instead of the usual 3. I didn't participate in October's read-a-thon and I had an extra one in February-March. Overall I would say December and January were the worst read-a-thons. Best read-a-thons are usually August and April, but if you look at the averages per day, November and February score well. And yes, I'm not expecting anyone to read all of these statistics :lol:. It's just for my own nerdyness.

January: Total this read-a-thon: 9h 50 mins, 2061 pages, 10 books read (and 1 started but not finished)

February: Total this read-a-thon: 15h 40 mins, 3371 pages, 15 books read

February-March: Total this read-a-thon: 11h 20 mins, 2659 pages, 12 books read

March: Total this read-a-thon: 10h 25 mins, 2446 pages, 11 books read

April: Total this read-a-thon: 23h 40 mins, 4861 pages, 30 books read (** 5 days)

May: Total this read-a-thon: 10h 5 mins, 2170 pages, 12 books read

June: Total this read-a-thon: 13h 30 mins, 1999 pages, 11 books read

July: Total this read-a-thon: 12h 5 mins, 3336 pages, 11 books read

August: Total this read-a-thon: 25h 20 mins, 5087 pages, 44 books read (** 7 days)

September: Total this read-a-thon: 11h 45 mins, 2664 pages, 11 + 1/2 + 1/4 books read

October: N/A Did not participate.

November: Total this read-a-thon: 15h 45 mins, 3544 pages, 21 books read

December: Total this read-a-thon: 9h 45 mins, 1434 pages, 13 books read

Total time: 169h 10 mins

Total pages: 35632

Total books read: 202

Total read-a-thon days: 42

Time: Best month (in order): August (7 days), April (5 days), November (3 days), February (3 days), June (3 days)

Time: Worst month (in order): October (0 days), December (3 days), January (3 days), May (3 days), March (3 days)

Pages: Best month: August (7 days), April (5 days), November (3 days), February (3 days), July (3 days)

Pages: Worst Month: October (0 days), December (3 days), June (3 days), May (3 days), March (3 days)

Total books read: Best Month: August 44 (7 days), April 30 (5 days), November 21 (3 days)

Total books read: Worst Month: October 0 (0 days), January 10.25 (3 days), March / June / July tied with 11 books (3 days all)

Averages per day:

January: 196 mins, 687 pages, 3.4 books

February: 313 mins, 1123 pages, 5 books

February-March: 227 mins, 886 pages, 4 books

March: 208 mins, 815 pages, 3.7 books

April: 284 mins, 972 pages, 6 books

May: 202 mins, 723 pages, 4 books

June: 270 mins, 666 pages, 3.7 books

July: 241 mins, 1112 pages, 3.7 books

August: 217 mins, 726 pages, 6.3 books

September: 235 mins, 888 pages, 3.9 books

October: N/A Did not participate.

November: 315 mins, 1181 pages, 7 books

December: 195 mins, 478 pages, 4.3 books

Total average time per day: 4h

Total average pages per day: 848

Total average books read per day: 4.8

Time average: Best month (in order): November, February, April

Time average: Worst month (in order): October (N/A), December, January

Pages average: Best month: November, February, July

Pages average: Worst Month: October (N/A), December, June, January

Total books read average: Best Month: November, April, February

Total books read average: Worst Month: October (N/A), Tie: March, June, July

2015Totals2.jpg

2015Averages.jpg

Recently I read:

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 3: Episode Three (****) (8/10) (I really want to read the last two installments, but I have to wait until they've been published. At least this one's cliffhanger wasn't so bad compared to the previous one. There was a dog involved in Episode Two and I absolutely had to know what happened with the dog. I enjoyed reading this installment).

Chrissy Manby - Just in Case (****) (8/10)

Chrissy Manby - The Snow Baby (****) (8/10)

Scarlett Bailey - Santa Maybe (****) (8/10)

In other unexpected news, I have finally received those books I was waiting for :exc::jump:! It might have taken a month and a half, but I'm so happy they've finally turned up!

Catherine Ryan Hyde - The Day I Killed James

Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 1: The Iron Trial

There should be two books in the post soon. If no one has replied, I'll edit this post to include their titles and also a photo of all four of the books.

I'm also working on lowering my ratings a little bit, I'll explain a bit more about my system in my 2016 thread once it's made. But that's why all these stories have 8's rather than 9's which I might have given them in the past. The trouble is, not every 8 is the same as every other 8, I might still enjoy a book more with an 8 than a book that was also given an 8, so I tend to want to give the first book a higher number etc. But it would not do to rate at a scale of like 100. That would be so fiddly. So I'm going to stick with 'out of ten' but I'll try to be a bit stricter. Because my 6 or 4 would maybe be someone else's 2 / 5 or 1 / 5.

EDIT:

Chrissy Manby - Benson Family 3: A Proper Family Adventure

Chrissie Manby - Benson Family 4: A Wedding at Christmas

The books are here :D!

NewBooksSpines_0.25.jpg

NewBooksCovers_0.25.jpg

Edited by Athena

I agree about the scale, I think the lowest I've given a book is 2/5, which is 4/10 and really I should be giving some of them 2/10 or 1 out of 5 but I can't bring myself to do it! So I might switch to an out-of-ten scale in 2016, not sure yet.

Thank you for my Christmas card! Your package went off yesterday (finally) - we've had a lot of stormy weather so I just didn't get to the post office for ages. I wrote your address on your card before realising it was going into a package anyway, what an eejit :roll: Let me know when it arrives!

I read some more books:

Scarlett Bailey - Secret Santa (***) (6/10) (this was a bit all over the place)

Shawn Inmon - Christmas Town (****) (7/10) (this was nice)

Shawn Inmon - Lucky Man (****) (7/10) (this was nice but also a bit weird)

Shawn Inmon - Chad Stinson Goes for a Walk: A Tale of Obsession and Possession (****) (8/10) (this one was pretty good)

Martin Walker - Bruno, Chief of Police 5.5: Bruno and le Père Noël (****) (7/10) (thanks to Sarah / Little Pixie :D, this was a nice story, I liked it)

Dr. Seuss, Louise Gikow - Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas (****) (8/10) (will you believe I didn't know the story, because I've never read the book or seen any film adaptation? This book is based on the movie, but it was still great to finally get to know more about the Grinch.)

I read three more books:

Jacques Vriens and Dagmar Stam - O, Denneboom (****) (8/10) (Christmas themed so perfect for this time of year)

Christiane van den Bos (ill. Liza Jazenko) - Het Liefje van een Locomotiefje (****) (8/10)

Jacques Vriens (ill. Ivo de Weerd) - Zaterdagmorgen, Zondagmorgen (****) (8/10)

They're all children's books re-reads, that I read when I was a child and quite liked. I've rated them a bit lower than how I rated it based on memory before I re-read them, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the books as an adult (just slightly less than when I was a child).

I'm still reading Let It Snow by Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle. The first story, by Maureen Johnson, was nice, I enjoyed it and it made me feel in the wintery mood.

I read some more books:

Martin Walker - Bruno, Chief of Police 5.5: Bruno and le Père Noël (****) (7/10) (thanks to Sarah / Little Pixie :D, this was a nice story, I liked it)

Aww.  :D  I`ve got the next 3 in the series now ( after reading Book 1, Bruno Chief of Police ) - I`m looking forward to reading them next year.  :smile:

I haven't written mine yet!  :o  It's not like me at all!

Oh, not like me at all either :giggle2: I think I still owe Gaia for last year :doh:

Recently I read:

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 3: Episode Three (****) (8/10) (I really want to read the last two installments, but I have to wait until they've been published. At least this one's cliffhanger wasn't so bad compared to the previous one. There was a dog involved in Episode Two and I absolutely had to know what happened with the dog. I enjoyed reading this installment).

Chrissy Manby - Just in Case (****) (8/10)

Chrissy Manby - The Snow Baby (****) (8/10)

Scarlett Bailey - Santa Maybe (****) (8/10)

In other unexpected news, I have finally received those books I was waiting for :exc::jump:! It might have taken a month and a half, but I'm so happy they've finally turned up!

Catherine Ryan Hyde - The Day I Killed James

Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 1: The Iron Trial

There should be two books in the post soon. If no one has replied, I'll edit this post to include their titles and also a photo of all four of the books.

I'm also working on lowering my ratings a little bit, I'll explain a bit more about my system in my 2016 thread once it's made. But that's why all these stories have 8's rather than 9's which I might have given them in the past. The trouble is, not every 8 is the same as every other 8, I might still enjoy a book more with an 8 than a book that was also given an 8, so I tend to want to give the first book a higher number etc. But it would not do to rate at a scale of like 100. That would be so fiddly. So I'm going to stick with 'out of ten' but I'll try to be a bit stricter. Because my 6 or 4 would maybe be someone else's 2 / 5 or 1 / 5.

Wow- that took forever for them to arrive, I of course, will be eager to hear about the CRH.

Do you like giving reviews this way better?

I agree about the scale, I think the lowest I've given a book is 2/5, which is 4/10 and really I should be giving some of them 2/10 or 1 out of 5 but I can't bring myself to do it! So I might switch to an out-of-ten scale in 2016, not sure yet.

Wait til you all get to the dark side and ditch ratings all together :D