Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

I love baroque music :blush2: the Brandenburg concertos in particular but againI listen to them more at Christmas. 

Love Delius too .. (yes .. I admit .. it is the Kate connection that made me first aware of him :blush2:) .. actually Delius would make a good reading companion.

Thanks for all the recommendations .. I'll look into them  :smile: 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the pleasure of seeing Philip Glass in concert a few years ago. Sublime. His solo piano works is great as is his work with Violinist Tim Fein.

You have seen Philip Glass in concert?!!   :eek:  :animal: *serious envy*

You have seen Philip Glass in concert?!!   :eek:  :animal: *serious envy*

Twice :) It was a two night run in Glasgow. One night solo piano with Tim Fein and the other was with the Kronos Quartet doing the live soundtrack to the film Dracula (Bela Lugosi). He's performing in London in April. Would love to go.

Twice :) It was a two night run in Glasgow. One night solo piano with Tim Fein and the other was with the Kronos Quartet doing the live soundtrack to the film Dracula (Bela Lugosi). He's performing in London in April. Would love to go.

Not once, but TWICE?!  :blink:  :drama:

I've got Spem in Alium on a collection, Tallis Scholars Sing Thomas Tallis which was recommended to me because I loved Byrd, so I'll definitely look up Utopia Triumphans as it sounds like the sort of thing I enjoy.  Thanks for the recommendation. :)

From what I've read, yours is generally regarded as a stronger recording; it's apparently the weakest track on Utopia Triumphans.  All I can say is if that's weak, I'm going to be completely drained listening to any others!

I was in our local book/music shop this afternoon, and happened on a cheapish recording of the Byrd.  It's by Kings College Choir, and is apparently not one of the best, but I thought I'd give it a go!

I had the pleasure of seeing Philip Glass in concert a few years ago. Sublime. His solo piano works is great as is his work with Violinist Tim Fein.

I don't really enjoy much Baroque music as I can't stand the Harpsichord. Terrible tinging device such as it is :P

Another one green to the gills!

Not all Baroque music includes harpsichords by a long chalk - those Brandenburgs Kay mentions for instance.  I can understand you disliking the instrument though; it's not a favourite of mine either.

Edited by willoyd

From what I've read, yours is generally regarded as a stronger recording; it's apparently the weakest track on Utopia Triumphans.  All I can say is if that's weak, I'm going to be completely drained listening to any others!

I'm definitely going to get Utopia Triumphans. Hopefully, it'll help me find other new composers to listen to as well. I'm not very knowledgeable about classical and choral, and tend to stumble across things by chance. OH introduced me to Byrd and Brittan, mainly because they were sung by Harry Christophers The Sixteen, but apart from that, I'm in the dark with choral pieces.  Hope you enjoy the Byrd, it's an absolute favourite of mine. :)

Citadel by Kate Mosse

Synopsis (from waterstones.com):

1942, Nazi-occupied France. Sandrine, a spirited and courageous nineteen-year-old, finds herself drawn into a Resistance group in Carcassonne - codenamed 'Citadel' - made up of ordinary women who are prepared to risk everything for what is right. And when she meets Raoul, they discover a shared passion for the cause, for their homeland, and for each other. But in a world where the enemy now lies in every shadow - where neighbour informs on neighbour; where friends disappear without warning and often without trace - love can demand the highest price of all...

Review:

I have to admit, it's been seven(!) years since I read the second book in Kate Mosse's Languedoc trilogy, so while I remember enjoying the first two, I also remember them being books I devoured on holiday and whizzed through them.  Not so much with Citadel.  It weighs in at a whopping 692 pages, and reading on my Kindle, I'm assuming the pages must have had a very small, closely spaced font, as one page seemed to equate to about five pages on my Kindle!  It's taken me a week to read, and that's only because I read just over half of it today on a day off work.

Having said all that, I did enjoy it a lot.  It was a story I'd not come across before, with a strong head of female characters, a second world war setting in southern France, and I thought it was very interesting to read.  As with the other two books, there is a mixing of the historical in among the more contemporary story, this time with the story of a fourth century Christian on a quest, both of which build to bring parallels with each other and converge at the end.

I mentioned somewhere else that I read the first book in the trilogy, Labyrinth, not long after a trip to Carcassone, and yet again, I was transported back to the place.  Mosse describes the walled city well, and I could picture the setting of some scenes in my head having visited there, and it added to the reading experience for me.

I can't remember enough about the first two books with regards to their conclusions, but with Citadel you have to suspend your disbelief at the end, which I'm in two minds about.  Generally though, the story was a good read, and the strength of the woman and the Resistance was fascinating, and at times awful, to read about.  There are some scenes of interrogation that are quite harrowing, although it's not as graphically described as you think it is, but what it describes paints a far worse picture in your head … at least that's how I felt anyway.

If you've read the other books in the series, I think you're going to enjoy the last one, but having seen quite a few people here who gave up on Labyrinth, I can't imagine it's going to appeal to many here!  It's a bit of a marathon read, but I did enjoy it and thought it was worth the effort.

Having been reading about how the mind's attentional filter works, I think that for music to make good background for reading, it needs to be sufficiently familiar that one can switch away from paying it attention, and without changes that are too abrupt or too big to avoid our attention being forced to switch back to it.

This works for me.  I read a lot on the tube to and from work, and I always use my iPod to drown out the noise of other people (which I find more distracting than music, especially the ones who talk really loudly or sniff all the bloody time  :banghead:  ).  I have certain go-to bands, whose music I know so well I can put it on and it actually helps my reading rather than hinders it - my Rush playlist being the obvious one, naturally :giggle2:   Singing doesn't distract me, if it's songs I know by heart.  Soundtracks don't work so well for me, or -at least - the kinds of soundtracks I like, i.e. the BIG orchestral soundtracks by the likes of John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith et al.  They always make me stop reading and think 'oh, this is the bit in the film where that happened'  :giggle2:

Great review, Claire! I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I don't want too much background sounds when I'm reading (or doing anything else) :blush2:. The only exceptions were for example when I was in the train going home after studying at university, and I'd listen to music to fade out the noises of the other people and the train. If I felt not too tired yet I often read, too, to make things more enjoyable though it was always harder for me than when I was at home in silence. Usually though I was too tired and just listened to the music and stared into space. I understand though things work differently for other people.

Great review of The Dynamite Room, Claire! :smile2: I've seen the title come up on here at a regular interval in the past weeks :D I'm going to check if they have copies of the novel at the library... 

Re: your monthly round up of your reading. What a brilliant month :D 16 books read, and 1 audiobook, that's a whole helluva lot! I've also really enjoyed the Malory Towers read-a-long, thank you so much for suggesting it!  :flowers2:

The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton

My thoughts:

I first picked this book up a few years ago when it was first available in paperback, and was on one of those lists of books … best debut novels, or best summer reads, or something, I can't remember which.  I looked at it a few times and had it in the back of my mind for a long time, but I didn't buy it until I saw the ebook on sale a little while back.  I knew it was a gamble, as I wasn't sure about it when I'd looked at it initially, but I thought as it was on offer, I might as well try it.

Unfortunately, I've had to give up after about 80 pages.  The problem is, I don't know why I'm not enjoying it.  The premise is interesting, although if I hadn't read the blurb, I still wouldn't know where it was going even though I'm almost a quarter of the way in.  The story isn't staying with one particular character, and alternates between the high school and the drama school, but I just can't find my way into it.  I'm sort of intrigued by one character, but even seeing where their story goes doesn't interest me enough to want to carry on.  The problem is that my main reading session of the day is during my lunch break, and to read a book that I'm finding off-putting, spoils my lunch break and I feel a bit cheated.  So, I think the problem is me, and probably not the book, but after 80 pages, I'm pulling the plug.

I tried reading this novel a few months ago and couldn't get into it at all :( Like you said, I also thought the premise was interesting and I was rather excited about it. I wanted to like it! But it did nothing for me. I think I gave up after 20 pages... I think I might still give it a go some day, but I'm not particularly fussed if I forget to do so... :blush: What an odd book! 

Thanks Sari!  I'm sure you'd enjoy The Dynamite Room so fingers crossed the library have a copy for you.  :yes: 

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't get into The Rehearsal.  I know her second book was well received generally, and even won the Man Booker prize, so I'm not ruling out reading more of her work, but this one just wasn't for me.  :shrug: 

Thanks Sari!  I'm sure you'd enjoy The Dynamite Room so fingers crossed the library have a copy for you.  :yes: 

Oh boy, they do have copies, in English and at the one closest to me, and it's actually there, waiting on the shelf for someone to pick it up! :D The Espoo/Helsinki libraries are just.... drum roll please.... DYNAMITE!

:giggle2::rolleyes::lol:

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't get into The Rehearsal.  I know her second book was well received generally, and even won the Man Booker prize, so I'm not ruling out reading more of her work, but this one just wasn't for me.  :shrug: 

That's the thing, though: I've heard great things about The Luminaries, and I want to read that book and I have high expectations for it. And so I thought this would be a great novel, surely, too...? And then... disappointment. :unsure:

Oh boy, they do have copies, in English and at the one closest to me, and it's actually there, waiting on the shelf for someone to pick it up! :D The Espoo/Helsinki libraries are just.... drum roll please.... DYNAMITE!

:giggle2::rolleyes::lol:

I see what you did there :D

Your libraries are awesome  :) 

That's the thing, though: I've heard great things about The Luminaries, and I want to read that book and I have high expectations for it. And so I thought this would be a great novel, surely, too...? And then... disappointment. :unsure:

The Luminaries was great but it did go through its tedious spells .. it was a slow starter too though I think there was enough intrigue at the beginning to pull you through. Looking at the reviews .. The Rehearsal has had a mixed reception .. The Luminaries has been better received. It's a house brick though .. you'll need all your fortitude (and possibly some .. or rather lashings .. of ginger beer :D)   

I see what you did there :D

It was probably very hard to miss :D

The Luminaries was great but it did go through its tedious spells .. it was a slow starter too though I think there was enough intrigue at the beginning to pull you through. Looking at the reviews .. The Rehearsal has had a mixed reception .. The Luminaries has been better received. It's a house brick though .. you'll need all your fortitude (and possibly some .. or rather lashings .. of ginger beer :D)   

That's the thing though, there was enough intrigue in The Luminaries, but there was no such promise with The Rehearsal :( At least not in my opinion. The latter is of course a much shorter read so it would be easier to decide to read through no matter what. (I now desperately want lashings of ginger beer :D)

I finished this months book for my library reading group today - All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky.  Decided I'd pick a book from my jar and then decide whether to read that or the first part of Middlemarch next … would you believe it, I picked Dimanche by Irène Némirovsky!!! :lol:  It's the only other book of hers I have on my TBR and the jar decided it would be the most suitable for me to read next. :D

I finished this months book for my library reading group today - All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky.  Decided I'd pick a book from my jar and then decide whether to read that or the first part of Middlemarch next … would you believe it, I picked Dimanche by Irène Némirovsky!!! :lol:  It's the only other book of hers I have on my TBR and the jar decided it would be the most suitable for me to read next. :D

:DWell I never ... hope it's a good read for you Claire :)

It's the only other book of hers I have on my TBR and the jar decided it would be the most suitable for me to read next. :D

That's a very mysterious book jar you have there...... :giggle2:  

All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):
Pierre and Agnès marry for love against the wishes of his parents and the family patriarch, the tyrannical industrialist Julien Hardelot, provoking a family feud which cascades down the generations. Even when war is imminent and Pierre is called up, the old man is unforgiving. Taut, evocative and beautifully paced, All Our Worldly Goods points up with heartbreaking detail and clarity how close were those two wars, how history repeated itself, tragically, shockingly...

Review:
I think this is the fourth Némirovsky book I've read, and I like her writing a lot.  She writes of the lives of ordinary people who've lived through extraordinary times, but she has quite a pared down style, so although sometimes you think not much is happening, but by the end of the book, you realise you've lived through the marriage of a couple spanning the years from before the start of the First World War through the intervening years until after the end of WW2.  There is very little periphery, with Pierre and Agnès taking almost all the focus throughout, but through the story of their lives together, you see French society of the period, the impact of war on individuals, families and communities, and eventually, how history repeats itself in some of the familial relationships.

From reading up about the author, I know she and her family fled their home at the beginning of the Russian Revolution, and this flight is a repeated theme in her books I've read, both in Suite Française and this book, with families trying to escape the invading forces by car to places they believe will be safer, and she brings this experience to life for the reader. 

I'll be interested to see what everyone else at my reading group made of the book, when I go to the meeting next week, but I suspect it won't be everyone's cup of tea.  I can already imagine some being bored by it, not caring about the characters, and probably not finishing it, but I was delighted to see it come up, and am very glad I read it.