Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

So glad you enjoyed it Claire xx Great review! Did you read the extract from his next book? .. I did and want to get it now (well .. when it's out) but then I would've wanted to get it anyway after such a great read :)

No, I rarely read the extract of new books, especially if they're not out yet, because if it's really good I'd want to carry on reading and then the book wouldn't be available, and I'd (a) get a annoyed that I couldn't read it all immediately and (b) it might actually put me off reading it when it did came out because I was still annoyed after reading the extract. Illogical, I know, but that's me! :D

I bought it today!

Yay!  Hope your box guides you towards it soon! :D

Your jar sounds a great idea Claire :)

Thanks, Paula! :)

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy your new books, Claire :)!

No, I rarely read the extract of new books, especially if they're not out yet, because if it's really good I'd want to carry on reading and then the book wouldn't be available, and I'd (a) get a annoyed that I couldn't read it all immediately and (b) it might actually put me off reading it when it did came out because I was still annoyed after reading the extract. Illogical, I know, but that's me! :D

I'm like that too! I sometimes flick through an excerpt to see if a book is for me if I'm thinking of buying it or if it's a free Kindle book with a sample, but I generally don't read them word for word as then I often really want to read the book and then I can't because I don't own it yet (in the case of paperbooks) or, with books not released yet, you still have to wait a while before you can read it. That's just frustrating!

I never think of that or the frustration it might cause me in the short term :D .. anyway .. it was intriguing and I think it'll be another good one .. hopefully :) 

I'm notorious for finishing a book and starting another one straight away (some say without thinking or contemplating what I've just read, but they're wrong, I mull things over later on ;)), especially series books or books by the same author, particularly if I've just enjoyed a book by that author, so reading an extract is lethal, as I'd get really annoyed if I loved it and couldn't start it immediately. :roll:

I rarely do that .. not sure why .. would make life easier though I am doing it with Malory Towers and did it too with Harry Potter .. or as far as I could until J.K. made me wait interminably :D It does make sense to keep momentum .. certainly I should do this with the Thursday Next's but usually I actually set out to do the opposite .. wanting a complete change however much I'm enjoying it (is this masochistic do you think? :D)

I'm notorious for finishing a book and starting another one straight away (some say without thinking or contemplating what I've just read, but they're wrong, I mull things over later on ;)), especially series books or books by the same author, particularly if I've just enjoyed a book by that author, so reading an extract is lethal, as I'd get really annoyed if I loved it and couldn't start it immediately. :roll:

I'm amazed you can do that :). Often, my mind needs time to process things (this isn't just with books), so I need some 'off-time' to think about things. Sometimes, I don't want to think about what I've just read / watched / heard / experienced, because I just want to focus on my next read or task or whatever. But the mind does what the mind does.. I do find it easier though with a series by the same author, and with re-reads (one of the reasons why I try to read shorter reads for the read-a-thons). It really depends on what book I'm reading.

I tend to do this too, and I think for me it's why I can't remember many details of what I have read. I've just move on too quick. :blush2:  I mean yesterday, I finished Just One Damned Thing After Another, started and finished The Giver, and then started The Mangle Street Murders, with barely any breathing room between them. :giggle2:

I'm amazed you can do that :). Often, my mind needs time to process things (this isn't just with books), so I need some 'off-time' to think about things. Sometimes, I don't want to think about what I've just read / watched / heard / experienced, because I just want to focus on my next read or task or whatever. But the mind does what the mind does.. I do find it easier though with a series by the same author, and with re-reads (one of the reasons why I try to read shorter reads for the read-a-thons). It really depends on what book I'm reading.

The problem is, lots of my reading time is done when I'm passing the time, not specifically just sat in my armchair at home, so I often find I finish a book during my lunch break, for example, and if I stop at the end of a book, I've got nothing else to do.  I've nearly always got the next book I'm going to read ready and waiting, so over time I guess I've jut got used to immediately starting a new book and then allowing the book I've finished to occupy a different part of my brain, and mull it over later.

I tend to pick my next book up as quickly as possible too. I actually find the contrast helps clarify my thoughts about the structure, style etc of the previous book, and from there I can usually draw out my feelings on the story itself.

The problem is, lots of my reading time is done when I'm passing the time, not specifically just sat in my armchair at home, so I often find I finish a book during my lunch break, for example, and if I stop at the end of a book, I've got nothing else to do.  I've nearly always got the next book I'm going to read ready and waiting, so over time I guess I've jut got used to immediately starting a new book and then allowing the book I've finished to occupy a different part of my brain, and mull it over later.

That does make sense! Yeah.. I guess that'd be the one exception for me. Though generally when I was at university I think if a book was almost finished, I'd try and finish it before I go so that I can take a new book with me, rather than logging too many books with me (.. which I did do :D).

@ Noll

That also makes sense.

Time for a monthly round up of my reading.  I think I've had a good start to the year so far, with my January reading including a book from my J. L. Carr reading list.  I also enjoyed the group reading of the Malory Towers books, and I've started listening to the audiobooks of the E. F. Benson Mapp and Lucia books, finishing the first book, Queen Lucia, this month. :)

I've set up my Jar of Destiny to help decide which books to read next, although I'll still need to read certain books outside of these choices, such as my library group book and any group reads, such as the English Counties Challenge books.  This has meant rather than separating out my challenge books from my normal TBR, I've included them all, as they've all gone in the jar, so my TBR now stands at 55 books.  I bought 6 new books, plus one pre-ordered book was delivered to my Kindle (so that doesn't count, right? ;))

Favourite book of the month was The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt, and least favourite had to be Perfect by Rachel Joyce.

I've read 16 books plus one audiobook, giving me a total of 17 for the month, and a total of 3961 pages.  (I've never done a page count before, but thought I'd give it a go … it'll probably last, um, maybe one or two months before I forget to make a note of it! :giggle2:).  

So that was how my January reading went. :smile2:  Roll on February! :lol:

I'm very proud that I supplied your favourite and your least favourite book :D I like to provide variation :D No .. I quite agree with you .. Perfect was by no means ... perfect! If it didn't have such a nicely coloured spine .. it would be off to the charity shop .. and still will .. when its perfect (sorry  :blush2: ) replacement comes along.

Ooh a page count .. I fancy that Claire (of course I do .. I've read a lot of books .. next month I'll think it's the worst idea ever :D) I might do that.

You're doing excellently well and you always do .. well done Claire :hug:  

I'm very proud that I supplied your favourite and your least favourite book :D I like to provide variation :D No .. I quite agree with you .. Perfect was by no means ... perfect! If it didn't have such a nicely coloured spine .. it would be off to the charity shop .. and still will .. when its perfect (sorry  :blush2: ) replacement comes along.

That hadn't even occurred to me! Thank you … for The Dynamite Room at least! :lol:

Ooh a page count .. I fancy that Claire (of course I do .. I've read a lot of books .. next month I'll think it's the worst idea ever :D) I might do that.

I'll probably forget to check it as some point, and then won't be bothered to look it up, and before you know it, I've given up on it all completely! :D

You're off to a great start Claire, I can't imagine being able to read that many books a month.. I think I managed 5, and thought I was doing well! I keep hearing wonderful reviews of The Dynamite Room so I'm hoping my Book Box will release that one sooner rather than later! :D

Kay, if you are doing the book challenge on Goodreads you can see the total amount of pages you have read this year, and in previous years. :)

Kay, if you are doing the book challenge on Goodreads you can see the total amount of pages you have read this year, and in previous years. :)

How do I find that Hayley? I can see the amount of books I've read but I can't see any stats (sorry .. total incompetent :blush2:

How do I find that Hayley? I can see the amount of books I've read but I can't see any stats (sorry .. total incompetent :blush2:

I click on 'My Books' at the top of the page, to view my shelves. Then at the left menu, first follow all your shelves and below it are some general Tools. Click on 'stats', the second-to-last from the bottom. I hope this helps :).

The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

A high-school sex scandal jolts a group of teenage girls into a new awareness of their own potency and power. The publicity seems to turn every act into a performance and every platform into a stage. But when the local drama school decides to turn the scandal into a show, the real world and the world of the theatre are forced to meet, and soon the boundaries between private and public begin to dissolve ... The Rehearsal is an exhilarating and provocative novel about the unsimple mess of human desire, at once a tender evocation of its young protagonists and a shrewd expose of emotional compromise.

My thoughts:

I first picked this book up a few years ago when it was first available in paperback, and was on one of those lists of books … best debut novels, or best summer reads, or something, I can't remember which.  I looked at it a few times and had it in the back of my mind for a long time, but I didn't buy it until I saw the ebook on sale a little while back.  I knew it was a gamble, as I wasn't sure about it when I'd looked at it initially, but I thought as it was on offer, I might as well try it.

Unfortunately, I've had to give up after about 80 pages.  The problem is, I don't know why I'm not enjoying it.  The premise is interesting, although if I hadn't read the blurb, I still wouldn't know where it was going even though I'm almost a quarter of the way in.  The story isn't staying with one particular character, and alternates between the high school and the drama school, but I just can't find my way into it.  I'm sort of intrigued by one character, but even seeing where their story goes doesn't interest me enough to want to carry on.  The problem is that my main reading session of the day is during my lunch break, and to read a book that I'm finding off-putting, spoils my lunch break and I feel a bit cheated.  So, I think the problem is me, and probably not the book, but after 80 pages, I'm pulling the plug.

I've just picked my next book from the Jar of Destiny and it's come up as Citadel by Kate Mosse.  Despite the fact it's a whopping 705 pages, I don't mind too much, as the first two books in the trilogy were long too, but I remember them flying by as the plot races along, so did my reading.  Quite pleased with this pick … 

Ooh .. Claire .. daunting. Glad you are proceeding with confidence :D I couldn't get on with the only book of Kate Mosse's I've read (Labyrinth .. it's the first of the trilogy isn't it?) .. though I still got to the end, but the fact that you loved the first two is highly auspicious. 

Happy reading :) 

Yes, Labyrinth is the first book.  I read it on holiday not long after it came out, and it was not too long after we'd been on holiday to a villa near Carcassonne, where the book was set (and where Kate Mosse lived and wrote the book) so I felt that extra connection to the story because of it.  It was such a beautiful walled city, and I had very fond and clear memories of visiting it.  I think I read Labyrinth in a couple of days.  Although I've put Citadel off for a while, I'm quite excited it's come out of the jar this evening. :)

Well done Claire's jar :) Should be a very enjoyable read for you then Claire and hopefully it'll make up for your disappointing last read. You'll be in familiar territory at least which is always helpful (do these stories carry on as such .. same characters etc?) 

I like it when a story is set in a place I know or am familiar with .. sadly it doesn't happen very often as I'm not well travelled. I was well made up with the Thursday Next books .. with all the mentions of Swindon :D (and even Ciren) and the magic roundabout and whatnot. Of course most of it takes place in BookWorld but all the same .. terribly exciting :D