Waterstones Book of the Year 2014

chesilbeach

The shortlist of the Waterstones Book of the Year 2014 has been announced today:

• Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates
  • The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
  • Persiana: Recipes from the Middle East & Beyond by Sabrina Ghayour
  • Once Upon An Alphabet by Oliver Jeffers
  • The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan
  • H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
  • Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty

You can find out more about the books on the Waterstones blog.

I've not actually read any of these but there's a few already on my wish list, and I think it's quite an interesting selection.  I definitely want to read H is for Hawk, and Richard Flanagan won the Man Booker this year.

As is relatively standard with 'book of the year' lists, I've never read any of them...

There's a few that look pretty good though - wouldn't mind reading Flanagan's The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Not only have I not read any of them, I've not heard of any of them either (and I spend quite a bit of time browsing in Waterstone's!). 

I'm surprised you haven't seen H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald in Waterstone's - I've been in four different branches this year and since it was published, it's had window displays, table displays and been on the Recommended shelves in every single one of them.  It's been hard to miss as far as I could see! :lol:

Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates has been widely promoted across the media, and I've heard two different radio programmes discuss The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

I followed the Man Booker prize quite closely this year, after Ali Smith was long- and then short-listed, so I've also read about the books on the list, so I've come across The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan quite a lot too.

I've also been looking at Once Upon An Alphabet by Oliver Jeffers as it will make a good Christmas present for young children, and it's was on the Recommended shelves in the Children's section in a couple of Waterstone's I've visited too.

You need to look harder!!!! :D

I am keen on getting myself a copy of The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Edited by Devi

I'm surprised you haven't seen H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald in Waterstone's - I've been in four different branches this year and since it was published, it's had window displays, table displays and been on the Recommended shelves in every single one of them.  It's been hard to miss as far as I could see! :lol:

Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates has been widely promoted across the media, and I've heard two different radio programmes discuss The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

I followed the Man Booker prize quite closely this year, after Ali Smith was long- and then short-listed, so I've also read about the books on the list, so I've come across The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan quite a lot too.

I've also been looking at Once Upon An Alphabet by Oliver Jeffers as it will make a good Christmas present for young children, and it's was on the Recommended shelves in the Children's section in a couple of Waterstone's I've visited too.

You need to look harder!!!! :D

I probably have seen them, and if I took the list and looked up the covers I suspect I'd recognise some, but I've probably dismissed them as books I'm not interested in!

ETA:

I've just looked up the covers on Amazon and I think I may have seen:

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

Once Upon An Alphabet by Oliver Jeffers

H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald and

Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty

But I'm not sure!

Edited by Raven

I think I've twigged why I don't recognise most of those books.  Are they all currently hardbacks?  I only tend to look at the paperbacks.

As far as I know they were all first published in 2014 and most books are published as hardcovers and don't become paperbacks until 6-12 months later, so you could very well be right (and it's also the reason I haven't heard of many).