Holiday Reading...

Kell

Well, seeing as I'm off to Swindon next week, I thought I'd sort out which books I'll be taking with me to keep me amused whilst travelling and in those moments where I get a few minutes of peace and quiet to myself,so that I can curl up with a good book.

Of course, I've decided to take with me more books than I'll read, just in case I find I'm not in the mood for one or the other of them once I've set off (I like to have a bit of a choice!).

Here's what I'm taking with me:

1. Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery (reading circle choice)

2. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Posh Club)

3. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

4. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

5. Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (because it's set in Swindon!)

And I'll be loading up my iPod with:

1. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (already part-way through)

2. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

3. Howards End by E M Forster

So how abut you guys? Anyone going away on holiday and taking a small library with them? What will you have with you?

I'm trying to make that decision. I'll be in a caravan with hubby, 2 small kids, and my mum, so I'm not planning on being able to concentrate much.. but then because of that I also want something that will hold my attention.

I'm considering:

Kelley Armstrong - Exit Strategy

Kate Harrison - Old School Ties

Katherine Warwick - Savage

Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

A friend bought me Jilly Cooper's Wicked for my birthday and I really don't want to read it. :D

I read one of hers years ago - Octavia? - and thought it was rubbish, but obviously I have to read this one as a friend bought it for me, so I thought maybe holiday would be a good time to do that.

A friend bought me Jilly Cooper's Wicked for my birthday and I really don't want to read it. :D

You see I love Jilly Cooper's Rutshire (sp) books including Wicked, they are gossipy, and great fun, they start with Riders and Rivals etc and are about similar people if that makes sense, Wicked is not the best and there are lots of things to take issue with but easy and light they are!

On my holiday (did I mention I was going away for three weeks :D) I am taking:

Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon

The Starter Marriage by Kate Harrison

Calling on Lily by Louise Harwood

The Magdalene Cipher by Jim Hougan

Last Testament by Sam Bourne

Relic by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

The Tidal Poole (Elizabeth I Mysteries (Dell)) by Karen Harper

Summer in the City by Pauline McLynn

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

Some are for OH and I and I've book crossed them all to leave behind!

So how abut you guys? Anyone going away on holiday and taking a small library with them? What will you have with you?

I'm going to Australia for about a month in September, and I'm really struggling with what book to take on the plane with me. At the moment I'm going with either The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, or The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

I haven't read either of those books, and I'm a bit wary about being stuck on a 32 hour plane flight (includes two 7 hour layovers) with books I'm not sure I'll enjoy. Also, both books are quite big, and I'll be carrying enough rubbish with me that maybe I'd be better off settling for something lighter? :thud:Also, I'm super fidgety and easily distracted on planes, so I need a book that will really reel me in.

Not too stuck for choice when I get to Australia though. I have about five or six archive boxes there, full of books to read - which I'll be bringing back to the UK with me (I've warned hubby! :D). :D

...I'm really struggling with what book to take on the plane with me. At the moment I'm going with either The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, or The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

I'm super fidgety and easily distracted on planes, so I need a book that will really reel me in.

Then there is only one answer, angerball: Crimson Petal! Crimson Petal! Oh, and... CRIMSON PETAL! :D

Seriously tho', I and several other members have enjoyed this book an obscenely huge amount so it sounds like a safe bet :D But why don't you try the first couple of chapters before you travel, that way you know whether you'll be hooked enough for the flight?

Then there is only one answer, angerball: Crimson Petal! Crimson Petal! Oh, and... CRIMSON PETAL! :D

Seriously tho', I and several other members have enjoyed this book an obscenely huge amount so it sounds like a safe bet :D But why don't you try the first couple of chapters before you travel, that way you know whether you'll be hooked enough for the flight?

:D Yeah, I am heading in the Crimson Petal direction, as I've yet to read a bad review of that book! Everyone raves about it! :D I think I will start it a few days before I head off, so if I'm not into it, I can take another one instead. It's right up the top of my TBR pile anyway. :D

Well, seeing as I'm off to Swindon next week, I thought I'd sort out which books I'll be taking with me to keep me amused whilst travelling and in those moments where I get a few minutes of peace and quiet to myself,so that I can curl up with a good book.

Swindon? Why do you need a book if you're going there? Swindon is one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the world - sort of Paris, New York & Rio rolled into one with a bit of the South Pacific added to boot. Colourful traffic cameras flashing at you, the exciting Magic Roundabout, quaint narrow roads where you rub shoulders (or fenders) with the local saplings and so on. You'll have so many things to do that you'll forget all about books and probably extend your stay by 2 weeks.

I should know, I live in Wootton Bassett nearby.:D

Oh nightmare! Can't you just stick it at the bottom of mount TBR? :D

If you do take it make sure you take something you want to read as well. I hate to think of someone not enjoying their holiday books!

I read one of hers years ago - Octavia? - and thought it was rubbish, but obviously I have to read this one as a friend bought it for me, so I thought maybe holiday would be a good time to do that.

That's a mare as at 997 pages it will take you a while to get through it. It is very different from Octavia though so maybe you might enjoy it.

Oh nightmare! Can't you just stick it at the bottom of mount TBR? :D

If you do take it make sure you take something you want to read as well. I hate to think of someone not enjoying their holiday books!

That's a mare as at 997 pages it will take you a while to get through it. It is very different from Octavia though so maybe you might enjoy it.

Thanks guys. I will pack another book (or two!). Hopefully it'll be okay though!

For 18 nights in Miami with all the days spent reading by the pool I have

If Only - Geri Halliwell

The Bay of Angels - Anita Brookner

Dealier than the Male - Terry Manners

The World According to Clarkson - Jeremy Clarkson

Goodbye Dearest Holly - Kevin Wells

The Island - Victoria Hislop

The Liar - Stephen Fry

Cat - Freya North

Four Play - Jane Moore

Point of Origin - Patricia Cornwell

All 2nd hand as the pages tend to fall out in the heat and it enoys me when that happens with brand new books :D

:D Have been on hols already.

wentto Wales and experienced the wettest weather ever.

Stuck in a caravan with 2 hyper active kids and their moaning dad. So I found solace from the disastrous welsh holiday in 3 excellent books: In the woods by Tana French, And Nineteen minutes by Jodi Picoult. " excellent thrillers. Also, on a lighter note, PS I love You by Cecelia Ahern which I found in my TBR pile. So, that's one down.

Looking for something light to read at the moment, as I lay paralysed in bed with a desperate sciatica.

Any suggestions?

Pleeeeeeaaaaazzzzz. I need something good and fun to cheer me up.:D

Looking for something light to read at the moment, as I lay paralysed in bed with a desperate sciatica.

Any suggestions?

Pleeeeeeaaaaazzzzz. I need something good and fun to cheer me up.:D

:D:cry: Oh, poor you, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Have you read Round Ireland With A Fridge by Tony Hawks? It's very light and funny.

Carole

:D

Whenever we drive over to my boyfriend's mom's house for a few days, I always be sure to bring these:

1. A hefty book, usually a classic like Dickens or Austen

2. A fun book, like Better Than Beauty: A Guide to Charm, which is a beauty and etiquette book from the 1930's!

3. A simple book, like a John Saul horror novel, or just something I've read before that is due for a re-read

4. Something new that I've been wanting to start.

This way, I know I'll always have something to read, no matter my mood! :D

I'm off to Devon on Saturday so I'll probably take:-

Jean Plaidy - The Heart of the Lion

James McGee - Ratcather

James Herbert - The Secret of Crickley Hall

Joe Abercrombie - The Blade Itself

Sheila O'Flanagan - Yours Faithfully

wow angerball what a great holiday- australia!!!!! have a great time--as for me i wont be on holiday until october so i havent really thought about what books i'll bring with me wherever i go- carm

wow angerball what a great holiday- australia!!!!! have a great time--as for me i wont be on holiday until october so i havent really thought about what books i'll bring with me wherever i go- carm

Thanks, Carm! :D I'm originally from Australia, and came to the UK 2 years ago on a working visa. Now that I'm here for good, I'm really just going back to pack up my things to ship to the UK, and to also do some catching up with family and friends. :D

angerball- i dont know much about australia ... but the aadventures of priscilla queen of the desert is one of my favorite movies of all time- carm

I too had a wet 'n' windy holiday (North Devon) but I still managed to get through a few books. Over two weeks, I read the following:

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai

Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl

The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories - Michel Faber

I'm going away for a week at the end of August but I have no idea what I'll pack to read :D

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

We have something in common over our holiday reading then PDR - I'm reading the Adichie and the sequel to the Fforde. :D

We have something in common over our holiday reading then PDR - I'm reading (...) the sequel to the Fforde :D

Holiday twins! :D

I really want to read Lost in a Good Book - I've wishlisted it everywhere but I only find the others, which would mean I was reading the series in the wrong order. D'oh.