What's up in August? - 2014

Athena

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sending you lots and lots of love and best wishes to you and Coran for your wedding, June. Many, many congratulations. Enjoy your day. :flowers2:

Thank you - I will tell you all about it when we are back from our honeymoon after the Bank Holiday.

Muggle, that's a great photo!

Talisman, I wish you the best in a great marriage. I hope you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon :).

I've been busy helping my brother in the past few days.

My boyfriend and I bought pans to cook with, so we have all the important kitchen supplies now :).

So far I'm doing well on the medication. It's only been two days though so it's too early to say much. Falling asleep took me a little bit of time the past two days, but that could also be because I was busy thinking about what happened that day and how to fix my brother's problem with his PS3. So so far, I think it's going well with the medication. I'm going to phone today and ask the doctors/nurses for a new prescription as I don't have that much medication left now that I'm using a lot more of it per day.

Just found out Clive Barker will have an art exhibition in Los Angeles (about 8 hours away but so worth it!) in conjunction with a Grand-Guignol theme.  The Grand Guignol was a Parisian theater known for it's horror and graphic productions- using real meat, animal blood, etc. before being shut down after WW2.  It runs October 25- November 1st, with a special showing for Halloween.  We might go!  I'm so excited!

I hope you get to go, Anna :)!

Later this afternoon and evening my sister and her boyfriend will be visiting us to celebrate my brother's birthday. We'll have a nice dinner with all of us, which will likely be very tiring for me but should be nice.

Os and I seem to be stuck in a bit of a bad luck rut at the moment and I'm hoping that we are now, finally, coming out of the other side of it.  I know these things usually come in threes but we are well passed three now and it's starting to be a little tiring.  We have had everything from a family member passing away, another getting sick, to broken laptops, bicycles and cars.  The journey to Norway for the funeral was probably the most stressful thing I've had to deal with in a very long time.  Due to an unexploded WWII bomb at the airport, we missed our connecting flight and had to spend the night in Frankfurt and after a further delay on the next flight, only made it to the funeral in Norway with 15 minutes to spare before the ceremony!  We were also delayed, again in Frankfurt, coming home on Thursday night and whilst on the motorway, I hit a pot hole and burst my tyre.

I feel like I've run some sort of obstacle course in the last three weeks, and if I hadn't had such a horrid time with flights, I would be contemplating a holiday to get over it.  I will, however, just be grateful to be sleeping in my own bed :)

Thanks guys! :friends3:

We've managed to go two days now without breaking anything/having any accidents, so I think this may be the last of it.  On the up side, I did manage to read more in three days than I have in three months, so there's always a silver lining.

Thanks guys! :friends3:

We've managed to go two days now without breaking anything/having any accidents, so I think this may be the last of it.  On the up side, I did manage to read more in three days than I have in three months, so there's always a silver lining.

That's good to hear, hope things improve for you soon!

Went to see The Taming of the Shrew last night at the Cambridge Shakespeare Festival, it was really good! So funny and really well acted. Bit cold though.

We just had a terrible earthquake, 6.1, centered about 6 miles from my house.  My home is in shambles.  Everything is broken.  Most of my dishes, all my knickknacks, everything on wall shelves... books from the tops of my cases are everywhere.  A huge chest of drawers fell just where my dog lays at night (luckily he was sleeping in my mom's room), hit my TV and pinned my door closed.  All in pitch darkness, we had to use our laptops as lights.  Everyone is shaken up.  We are now 20 minutes from my house at my mom's (some streets were buckled), she has power are we are looking at terrible destruction on TV of the Downtown in my city (Napa).  Happened at 3:30 this morning, it's 6 now.  It was horrendously loud.  Really, really REALLY, scary.  This is my 3rd big one.  I HATE earthquakes.  We've already had an aftershock.

We just had a terrible earthquake, 6.1, centered about 6 miles from my house.  My home is in shambles.  Everything is broken.  Most of my dishes, all my knickknacks, everything on wall shelves... books from the tops of my cases are everywhere.  A huge chest of drawers fell just where my dog lays at night (luckily he was sleeping in my mom's room), hit my TV and pinned my door closed.  All in pitch darkness, we had to use our laptops as lights.  Everyone is shaken up.  We are now 20 minutes from my house at my mom's (some streets were buckled), she has power are we are looking at terrible destruction on TV of the Downtown in my city (Napa).  Happened at 3:30 this morning, it's 6 now.  It was horrendously loud.  Really, really REALLY, scary.  This is my 3rd big one.  I HATE earthquakes.  We've already had an aftershock.

I am reading where it was the strongest earthquake in your area in 25 years. It must have been terrible to go through it, not to even mention the destruction it caused. Really sorry to hear of the damage but hope everyone is ok.

I don't think anything too serious, but there have been 80 people admitted at our local hospital.  There are also fires, floods and downed buildings.  Ambulances, police and fire with full sirens sped passed us when we left, we were afraid another one would come or a powerful aftershock.  We had a 4.2 aftershock already.

Here are some pictures via Twitter:

bdc91052-4745-4d09-ad0c-898809d9329c.jpg

Downtown Napa, Main Street

2e29407b-7cc6-4265-8149-9dab047c4484.jpg

7f84bf56-255b-428f-b30e-269b3adefe4b.jpg

Our local grocery store:

263f4859-9484-4158-81dd-7edb1317e3c5.jpg

There are massive sirens now.

News is saying we've had 30 aftershocks and the ground moved 2 feet per second.

Edited by Anna Begins

That sounds so scarey - no injuries I hope?

There have been 4 serious and one child who was hit in the face by a crumbling fireplace.  :mellow:

Anna, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, but hopefully, like Michelle says, there are no injuries, and physically you're all ok.  Thinking of you  :friends0:

Thanks Claire, I appreciate it,  We are all shaken up and of course, who can go to back to sleep at a time like that.  So now its... 10am and we've been up some 7 hours and still feeling aftershocks.  There have been about 30, most you don't feel, but we got a good one that got the dogs going. :mellow:

I am reading where it was the strongest earthquake in your area in 25 years. It must have been terrible to go through it, not to even mention the destruction it caused. Really sorry to hear of the damage but hope everyone is ok.

Yes, Loma Prieta was the one, the Bay Bridge top deck collapsed, during the World Series, when the San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's played (The Battle of the Bay!).  The area I live in, had a 5.2 in 2000 and that one was like, so shallow- I think it was a mile down.  So it was BIG.  There was a lot of destruction then, too.  But not nearly as much as this.  I saw the picture of wine and thought how sad you'd be (I'd smile, but I'm way weary)

This is how I feel today :mellow:

Good grief, Anna!  I'm just happy you and yours are safe and that your Mother has electric power.  What a traumatic experience to go through.  I can't imagine. 

I hope you will be able to get some solid sleep after all this horrible experience. 

Is there any type of warning system in place for this?  I thought I read a while back that there was, but from what you have said, there was no warning at all. 

At least down here we can know when a hurricane is coming.  Yikes!

Good grief, Anna!  I'm just happy you and yours are safe and that your Mother has electric power.  What a traumatic experience to go through.  I can't imagine. 

I hope you will be able to get some solid sleep after all this horrible experience. 

Is there any type of warning system in place for this?  I thought I read a while back that there was, but from what you have said, there was no warning at all. 

At least down here we can know when a hurricane is coming.  Yikes!

I've always said I'd prefer a hurricane to an earthquake- and after each quake I am assured this is the correct position!  No, no warning sign, at least as far as scientists can figure out.  We were just sleeping away and them BAM!  It sounded like the Wine Train was coming through the house.

Sorry you have been having such a rough time lately Kat, and glad that you are alright after that earthquake Anna  - possessions can always be replaced, but your lives can't be. 

Coran and I got back from our honeymoon this afternoon after a lovely couple of days. The wedding on Friday was beautiful, but very emotional - all the family were there and many of our friends. It was the first time I had seen my brother for about 4 years, and the first time I had met his second wife. It was very emotional for both of us after 17 years together - we could hardly get the words out, but we got there ! It had been cloudy in the morning, but once the ceremony was over the sun came out just as we walked out into the garden, which was lovely.

Glastonbury was as beautiful as ever - we stayed at Little St Michaels, which is the Retreat House attached to the Chalice Well Gardens. We have been members for years and have stayed there many times. There was a therapy and healing weekend going on over the Bank Holiday which was a bonus with various 1/2 hour treatments available for £10. I had some sound healing and an aromatherapy massage while Coran had some reflexology.

We spent a lot of time in the gardens of course, but also went out into the town to eat and to meditate in the Goddess Temple. I had been hoping to visit the White Spring, but sadly it was closed each time we ventured round - I have never been lucky enough to visit when it's open. I did though climb up the Tor, which was windy and exhilarating.

Driving back in the rain took longer than it should have done with some scary idiots out there speeding without lights, but we made it back in one piece. I guess then it's back to work and normality (whatever that is) tomorrow.  

So far, I've estimated I've lost about $5,000 worth of jewelry and 1/3 of all my dishes (which cost me all last year to save up for).  There was 1 fatality, 200 injured and 33 buildings marked uninhabitable in our city.  We snuck downtown and had a look around.  All streets are roped off with broken windows and bricks everywhere.  The inside of lots of buildings you can see right into them.

I am just exhausted.  All district schools are closed til further notice (not mine but daughters).  I have to leave for school In 10 minutes and I can hardly type a sentence.  I'm just so wiped out- physically ad emotionally.  And we get to work in the computer lab- god I hope I don't have tp "work in peer groups" today. :mellow: My house is still in shambles with no electricity and my dog is living in my SUV at my mom's house (she has animals he wants to eat).  Hopefully by tomorrow, everything will be somewhat back to normal at my house.  Or as close as we can get it.

I think you're amazing Anna to even contemplate going to school today. You're probably still in shock. Earthquakes are very frightening, I've been through several, although never as destructive, as what you've just experienced. The pictures we saw on the news were awful, so much damage. I hope you can get back to a reasonable state of normal again quickly and the aftershocks aren't too distressing. Thinking of you :empathy: