Your Book Activity - July 2014

Alexi

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up the Immersion Reading Audiobook for The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand).  I just got so tired of reading.  So, I'm going to try it out.  First time with a new book, not a re-read.

I finished Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioli yesterday, and also Our Garden Birds by Matt Sewell which I'd been dipping in and out of for a little while.

Going to start Q: A Love Story by Evan Mandery next, and with the thunderstorms raging over night and forecast for today too, I think I'll have plenty of time to allocate to reading today! :D  :intherain: 

Edited by chesilbeach

Man, The Fountainhead moves much slower than Atlas Shrugged!  Even though Atlas Shrugged is like, 1100 pages.  I'm 41% in, but it's 3am and I am still awake, so I'm reading it.

My mojo hasn't been feeling well the past few days (and I'm busy with moving), so I've only read a bit in The Dilemma by Penny Vincenzi. So far it's not a whole lot different from some of her other books and it's not really grabbing me. I feel too far in though to just abandon it, particularly since I enjoyed all of the other books by her I read. I don't know what my problem is then, either my taste has changed or I'm just not in the mood :shrug:.

My mojo hasn't been feeling well the past few days.

I don't know what my problem is then, either my taste has changed or I'm just not in the mood :shrug:.

It'll come back :smile: I just got over mine and it was rough!  I really missed reading.

I really want to read this after so much talk!  That and She's Come Undone. Is it an easy read?

It's a pretty easy read - the characters are easy to keep track of and the writing flows - but it's a long book. I prefer it over She's Come Undone - but that was still a good read. :smile:

It'll come back :smile: I just got over mine and it was rough!  I really missed reading.

Thanks Anna :).

I managed to read a bit more yesterday, I'm a bit more interested in the book though I don't know if it'll last. I don't really like most of the characters.

I finished Q: A Love Story a few minutes ago. Loved it. :smile2:

​Back to the TBR shelf (which is currently the top of the piano) to decide what to read next.  Does anyone else's TBR shelf move?  I find that previous shelves where I've created spaces tend to fill up, and then I start moving books into another place to keep the ones I haven't read together, and before I know it, a whole shelf full has sprung up in a new location! :D

I finished Q: A Love Story a few minutes ago. Loved it. :smile2:

​Back to the TBR shelf (which is currently the top of the piano) to decide what to read next.  Does anyone else's TBR shelf move?  I find that previous shelves where I've created spaces tend to fill up, and then I start moving books into another place to keep the ones I haven't read together, and before I know it, a whole shelf full has sprung up in a new location! :D

LOL, constantly!  Husband always groans a bit when he sees me moving stacks of books about in my never ending attempt to organize a bit.  It comes on me in fits. :jump:

I'm so glad it's not just me! :lol:

The piano has currently become our latest bookshelf. On top I have the handful of paperbacks I haven't yet read, and then on the lid I have all the books I've recently finished, because there is no actual proper shelf space anywhere to put them. :roll: I seriously need to have a clear out and take some to the charity shop, if only to give our piano the chance to fulfil its destiny to create music again! :giggle2:

I'm so glad it's not just me! :lol:

The piano has currently become our latest bookshelf. On top I have the handful of paperbacks I haven't yet read, and then on the lid I have all the books I've recently finished, because there is no actual proper shelf space anywhere to put them. :roll: I seriously need to have a clear out and take some to the charity shop, if only to give our piano the chance to fulfil its destiny to create music again! :giggle2:

No no, Nah, just get more shelves :P The piano is a good idea though, if I had one, I'd leave my Kindle on it :giggle2:

Bit tricky - we've already got bookshelves in every room of the house except the smallest one ;)  I don't think we can physically fit any more in unless we get rid of a bed or the sofa! :lol: 

Who needs a bed?  There is always the sofa... :D

I've started reading Italian Ways by Tim Parks.  I read his earlier books on living in Italy quite a long time ago not long after they first came out, but this is a new one he's written and is all about the Italian railways.

Edited by chesilbeach

Ahhhhhhh!  I'm nearly (finally) at 50% of The Fountainhead.  It's good, but I keep being able to put it down and come back to it, so not exactly a page turner.  I like it and everything, even studding it as practice for school, but it feels like it's taking for- ever!  And it's only 730 pages!  It should only have taken me 7 days and maybe a day or two more with all the philosophy in it, but I think it's been 7 days (or more) already.  I WILL finished before the month is over though and then, it's probably going to be 12 Years a Slave followed by Ken Follett's World Without End.

Haven't been able to settle to a book today, tried a couple of non-fiction but they're not working for me today, so might have to find something fictional to grab my attention … the question is what? :D

Try out Catherine Ryan Hyde :D My goal is to share Don't Let Me Go with as many people as possible :giggle2:

I've got maybe 130 pages left in The Dilemma by Penny Vincenzi. I look forward to see how it will end. Since I'm travelling soon, I don't think I'll be starting another book before I leave, though if it comes to that I might pick a short one that I can finish before I go. I'm taking Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour with me as well as my Kindle (which has a variety of books on it).

This book is killllllling me!  I can't believe Fountainhead came before Atlas Shrugged.  I don't think I can give it up though.  I'm tempted to just post my review at 50% (which, btw, is log enough as it is), but darn, I just can't give up!?

My current reads:

Stuart: A Life Backwards, Alexander Master's biography of a homeless man, Stuart Shorter; "thief, hostage taker, psycho and sociopath street raconteur".
After viewing the film adaptation of the same name, starring Messrs Hardy and Cumberbatch--which is numbered amongst my favourite films--I wanted, nay, I needed to read the book to learn more. Enjoying the chaotic ride through Mr Shorter's mind and life with each page turn thus far.

And...

Patrick Taylor's amusing tale of An Irish Country Doctor. A bargain bin book that has rewarded me far beyond the $2 I paid for it. So far an enjoyable read punctuated by little laugh out loud moments.

Last night I finished I Know This Much Is True. Fantastic book. I'm kind of glad to have finished it though, as reading a 900 page paper book was difficult after getting so used to the Kindle. :hide:

I've now started Sycamore Row by John Grisham, which is a very loose sequel to A Time to Kill.

Last night I finished I Know This Much Is True. Fantastic book. I'm kind of glad to have finished it though, as reading a 900 page paper book was difficult after getting so used to the Kindle. :hide:

I've now started Sycamore Row by John Grisham, which is a very loose sequel to A Time to Kill.

I know what you mean about the Kindle!  I'm glad you finished- glad you liked it.  It really is on my TBR list now.

Also, you must tell me what you think of Sycamore Row!  My dad even bought it for me he wants me to read it so bad.  I might want to read A Time to Kill first though.  I dunno, the premise of Sycamore is way off my beaten trail- I don't read much "courtroom drama".

Edited by Anna Begins

I hope you read I Know This Much Is True, Anna....it's a brilliant book. :boogie:

Sycamore Row is good so far. It's been a while since I've read any John Grisham. I was a big fan years ago, but for some reason just stopped reading his newer stuff. A Time to Kill is a great read, but brutal subject matter. Sycamore Row doesn't seem to be a strict sequel; it has a separate storyline, but the same main character. I'm going into it a bit blind - I didn't bother reading the synopsis; I bought it based on a recommendation - but so far it does look like it will develop into a 'courtoom drama'. I'll let you know how I get on. :smile: