The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

Michelle

Although I've seen a cartoon version of 'The Lion etc' :D I haven;t read it. Bethany was interested, so we've started. She has The Chronicles of Narnia, so I decided to take a look at the first one, 'The Magician's Nephew'.

It was actually an enjoyable read, explaining just how the wardrobe became a door to Narnia. Even if Bethany doesn't want to continue, I may well be continuing the rest of the books!

Is anyone planning to see the film?

Most definitely! It's been said that there has been permission given for 3 movies (I'm guessing at Prince Caspian & possibly The Silver Chair as being the other 2 after Lion), but I'm hoping they'll eventually do all of them!

I loved the animated movie & really enjoyed the series they did a few years back (they did Lion, Caspian & Dawn Treader).

I've always loved the books...

• 2 weeks later...
not me....Michelle. And unfortunately I cannot take the deal...UK residents only :D

That is a pain, isn't Mau. I keep telling you, you need to move!

Kell, it's only good if you like book clubs, because you get tied in with them. But, with the amount of books you buy....! lol

• 3 years later...

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I have just finished The Horse and His Boy. Here is my review:

the-horse-and-his-boy.jpg

Synopsis:

An orphaned boy and a kidnapped horse gallop for Narnia... and freedom.

Narnia, where horses talk and hermits like company, where evil men turn into donkeys, where boys go into battle, and where the adventure begins.

During the Golden Age of Narnia, when Peter is High King, a boy named Shasta discovers he is not the son of Arsheesh, the Calormene fisherman, and decides to run far away to the north - to Narnia. When he is mistaken for another runaway, Shasta is led to discover who he really is and even finds his real father.

This is the third book in the Narnia series - if read in chronological order. This is a fun children's book that takes us back to the wonderful land of Narnia. Peter is still on the throne and Aslan is around. Shasta is an orphan, running away from a fisherman's life, helped by Bree, a horse from Narnia, also running away. On their adventures they are pushed together with Aravis and her horse and they see all types of adventure on their bid to get to Narnia - including lions, deserts and war.

I really enjoyed this book. Lewis is a great writer, engaging his audience. This is a book primarily aimed at children, and it is easy to see why they are popular, however as an adult I also enjoyed this book, and recommend it to adults too.

The characters were great. Aslan is still based loosely on God and this could be seen through the way he guided the children and his other actions. He is still my favourite character, however I loved Aravis, a strong willed girl who took no nonsense and Shasta as he grew up and became noble.

The whole book was engaging and fun. It was exciting and easy to get into. Short and sweet, a book well worth reading.

8/10

I love the 'Chronicles Of Narnia'. I have done since I was very young and wished so very hard to find myself there one day!

I love A Horse And His Boy, it gave an added depth to Narnia. I also enjoyed the gentle humour that seemed to run through this one.

They felt like epic volumes when I was younger, but having re read them in recent years I realise they are quite compact and quick reads.

I got hold of an all-in-one collection, having lost my copies of the individual books many years ago. I think it was with the release of the films. It was pretty cheap as I recall.

I read them a few years ago when my English wasn't brilliant so I want to re-read them at some point. Got 2 different editions, one huge book with coloured drawings in them and stuff and a cheap edition in a small box, bought that a few weeks ago as I thought it would be better to read in them than in the big one.

But I loooooove the films. They changed quite a lot on the second film, but how can you not love it with such a fit Prince Caspian? :)

I have them as audiobooks. I had thought I'd read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe recently but apparently not - so will have to go back and listen to it.

I have read 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' and i thought it was a great read, i love tales like this. Not got further in the series though, i'm sure i have Prince Caspian lying about somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished Prince Caspian:

prince-caspian.jpg

Synopsis from Google Books:

Narnia is in trouble! All the magical creatures and Talking Animals have been forced into hiding by an evil king. Fortunately, young Prince Caspian escapes in time to lead the Old Narnians in the fight for their freedom.

But when the battle goes badly, Caspian blows an enchanted horn. Suddenly Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy Pevensie are pulled back into Narnia from England, where they had returned after defeating the evil White Witch. In a race against time and with the aid of the Great Lion, Aslan, they join Caspian and his army in a battle to restore peace throughout Narnia.

This is the fourth book in The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. Like the others, I really enjoyed this book. Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are all transported back to Narnia, where Prince Caspian is on the run as his tyrant uncle has claimed Caspian's throne and wants to kill him to ensure he isn't rightfully restored. The children discover that the magic has left Narnia hundreds of years before, when they originally left, and that the place is not safe for Old Narnian's. They must fight, alongside Aslan, to restore Narnia to it's former glory and to see Caspian put on the throne.

C.S. Lewis has created such a magical world, and I love going there in his books. He is engaging and fun, and I wish I lived in Narnia sometimes. I like all four children, they are noble and brave, out to fight the evil that ensnares the world. I adored their dwarf aid,Trumpkin. He was a great character, I enjoyed watching him develop. My favourite character is always Aslan. Again, you can see how Lewis has based him on God, as he heals the sick and feels those in bondage, but this is not overbearing at all. I just love Aslan - his compassion, warrior-like personality and his love and gentleness. This book is full of some other great characters too. Lewis has created a wonderful story full of wonderful creatures.

We see castles, evil men, dwarfs, giants, humans, lions, mice, badgers, the White Witch and river gods, just to name a few. This is a great children's fantasy book that adults can enjoy. It is fun, gripping and well worth reading. The end was a bit sad, with the adventure ending for some characters, but the very last line made me laugh. Edmund is a comedian! I recommend this book for both adults and children - this is a rounded fantasy adventure book that all will enjoy.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Synopsis from Amazon:

Book five in the Chronicles of Narnia sees the intrepid Edmund and Lucy returning to Narnia--with their beastly cousin Eustace in tow--on the ship The Dawn Treader where their old friend Prince Caspian is searching for lost friends of his father's. As the children take to the Eastern Seas in their hunt for the friends they find themselves embroiled in a dangerous adventure that leads them once again into the arms of Aslan the lion.

This is the fifth book in the reading order of The Chronicles of Narnia. In this book we only see two of the childern - Edmund and Lucy, as they go on their final journey through Narnia. The adventure starts in their Aunty's house in Cambridge, in a room with a picture of a boat hanging up. On careful examination they discover the boat is Narnian, and all of a sudden they are in the sea, and not alone, they have their hideous cousin Eustace with them! They are rescued by Caspian and set sail in search of seven friends of Caspian's father, who had been out-lawed by his evil uncle. Their adventures lead them to pirates, dragons, sea people and of course, Aslan. They travel to the end of the world, and see all sorts of magic, goodness and evil.

I enjoyed this book. Not my favourite of the series but still enjoyable. This book is full of fantasy, with the dragons and sea creatures, and all sorts of other magical beings. It was a good book, I had fun reading through it.

I was a bit disappointed it was only Edmund and Lucy this time, but I was aware that would be the case. I liked having Caspian in the book though, for a bit more consistency. We only really get fleeting glances at Aslan, but he is always there to teach them a lesson and help them out. I didn't really have a favourite character this time round.

Overall, I found this book to be enjoyable like the others but not the best. I think both adults and children will like this story. It was easy to read and had its fair share of adventure and fantasy.

7/10

The other night I was watching a documentry called the Narnia Code. It's about the seven books relating to the seven planets that people once thought were in the solar system... in the medieval times...

I want to re-read my Narnia books, since I last read them when I was ten or so. :lol: