Top Gear

Tiger

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammond and May have stated they won't be doing it without Clarkson and the article says it will be a whole new presenting team. I'm not convinced that will work, if they want to do a car show, the BBC should start with a new concept. Top Gear worked because of the interaction between the presenters and if they try to do it with a new team it will feel overly forced in my opinion. That said, I am glad there will be some form of car show on the BBC.

Hammond and May have stated they won't be doing it without Clarkson and the article says it will be a whole new presenting team. I'm not convinced that will work, if they want to do a car show, the BBC should start with a new concept. Top Gear worked because of the interaction between the presenters and if they try to do it with a new team it will feel overly forced in my opinion. That said, I am glad there will be some form of car show on the BBC.

I was thinking pretty much the same way until I saw a repeat of Philip Glenister's For the Love of Cars the other day.  He has been mooted as one of a potential new line up and I can see him taking on a "grumpy" persona quite well (if they go down the Three Clowns route they have with the previous presenters). 

I don't think May and Hammond should stay though, a new line up could work; part old, part new, I'm not so sure.  Hopefully they will get a new series with Clarkson somewhere else.

Edited by Raven

We've loved watching For the Love of Cars - I guess it might depend on contractual requirements as to whether Glenister would be able to join Top Gear. :shrug:

I don't think May and Hammond should stay either, a new era needs a new line-up as far as I'm concerned.  They've both work on other BBC programmes, so I suspect they've got other projects in the pipeline anyway.

I do wonder whether this will be another case where the BBC will try to include a woman (as in no more all male panels on quiz show), so it's not another three white middle aged men presenting team.  I love Chris Evans as a presenter, so I'm more than happy with the choice so far! :D

It'll be interesting to see what will happen. I've heard of Chris Evans but I can't remember much about him.. I'm sure I saw him on TV though when I was on holidays in the UK several years ago, but I honestly don't remember which program exactly :blush2:.

I quite like Chris Evans generally, but he does have the kind of personality that insists on being the centre of attention all the time. That's fine for the radio show he does, but can be a bit wearing on the TV. That's my opinion anyway.

So, TOP Gear will have to take a completely different direction to before, which is a bit of a shame. I liked the format as it was (middle-aged guy enjoys watching three other middle-aged guys mess around and act like big kids: BIG surprise!) but I did see a point not too far in the future where that would have run out of steam.

I read this morning online that James May will be doing a new thing on the BBC, so I imagine I'll still be able to indulge my inner child.