Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Echo

Title: Agnes Grey

Author: Anne Bronte

Date of Publication: 1847

Synopsis:

"Drawing on her own experiences, Anne Bronte wrote her first novel out of an urgent need to inform her contemporaries about the desperate position of unmarried, educated women driven to take up the only 'respectable' career open to them - that of a governess. Struggling with the monstrous Bloomfield children and then disdained in the superior Murray household, Agnes tells a story that is at once a compelling inside view of Victorian chauvinism and ruthless materialism and, according to George Moore, 'the most perfect prose narrative in English literature.'" ~from the back cover

Review:

I'd been wanting to read this book for several years, and when I finally did, I was not disappointed. Although I found the book somewhat preachy at times (Agnes is the daughter of a clergyman, and the hero is a curate), I still felt that the character of Agnes was compelling. The behavior of the Bloomfield children is disturbing in its mindless cruelty, and Agnes's perseverance in trying to bring about a change is admirable, if only a little bit pathetic. It is obvious that this is a very true to life account of what many governesses went through in Victorian England, being disdained by family and servants alike, having no real place in the household, and being forced to contend with spoiled and unruly children. Readers who have enjoyed Jane Eyre should love this book, and they will find comforting similarities between Agnes and Jane.

:)A-

Thanks for the review Echo - it was really useful and interesting.

Agnes Grey sounds really good - it has passed me by but will now go on my TBR list - I shall save it for a Classics Challenge.

• 4 months later...

Good review, Echo! I have quite a few contemporary books on my plate, but this will be my choice after Ben Hur and Quo Vadis for something a little meatier. I read Jane Eyre when I was thirteen and really liked it.

My younger brother had to read one of the Bronte sisters' books in the fourth grade. I think it was Portrait of a Lady. Of course, as a normal nine-year-old boy, it was misery for him! Thankfully Journey to the Center of the Earth, Harry Potter, and most recently A Tale of Two Cities warmed his heart ever so slightly to reading.

Portrait of a Lady is actually by Henry James. I recently read one of his, The Bostonians, and I didn't really like it. I have found that James is really hard to get through, and, well, boring. Having said that, many people consider him one of the greats.

If you want another good Bronte, try Shirley by Charlotte Bronte. It has some of my favorite all-time characters. And Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is a great one, too!:(

• 2 years later...

agnes-grey1.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis:

When her family becomes impoverished after a disastrous financial speculation, Agnes Grey determines to find work as a governess in order to contribute to their meagre income and assert her independence. But Agnes' enthusiasm is swiftly extinguished as she struggles first with the unmanageable Bloomfield children and then with the painful disdain of the haughty Murray family; the only kindness she receives comes from Mr Weston, the sober young curate. Drawing on her own experience, Anne Bronte's first novel offers a compelling personal perspective on the desperate position of unmarried, educated women for whom becoming a governess was the only respectable career open in Victorian society.

This is the first Anne Bronte novel I have read, and the first completed in my Bronte Sister's Challenge. I was unsure as to how this would read, seen as Anne's sister's seem to be more successful than her. However, I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and interesting. From the start I was gripped and enjoyed being taken to Victorian society. To be honest, the ending didn't surprise me, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think I would regard this as female fiction as well as a classic.

This book provoked mixed emotions in me. There were times when I really felt for Agnes and her situation, and times when I found her acting superior to her charges, and her self-righteousness annoyed me. However, being the daughter of a clergyman this is probably not a surprise; and some of the children were horrid - although reading about their mischief did make me chuckle. I did like Agnes' mother and sister though - such a lovely family unit and I found myself looking forward to her visits home.

I found this an enjoyable book that was easy to get into, and easy to remain involved with. It didn't take me long to get through it and I am glad I started my challenge with this book. I'm looking forward to reading more by Anne Bronte

4/5

• 3 years later...

First of all, I’m sorry for my poor english but I hope it will be at least as understandable and funny as Emily Brontë’s french (her devoirs de Bruxelles) ! I read Agnes Grey only after Charlotte and Emily’s novels like a lot of people I suppose. This novel touched my heart deeply. From the first page I enjoyed its style which is clear and modest but also poetic with the loving family of Agnes Grey and her desire, however, to leave it to see the world and make something in her life. In my view, Agnes Grey is more than a naturalistic novel about Victorian society and the harsh condition of governesses. In this respect, Agnes Grey’s look is terrible. Personally, I found remarkakle how her look is open to the whole world and includes animals – this really is not common in Literature if you think about it. I also liked Agnes Grey’s self-righteousness. On one hand she’s « sweet and gentle », on the other she’s brave and stands firm. She keeps her heart intact in spite of the difficulties and all the sad things of the society and human nature she comes to observe and suffer from – especially women’s fate. Rosalie Murray seems to epitomize this fate with all its tensions that she doesn’t overcome while Agnes Grey gains independence – like her strong mother who is a very interesting character. I had the feeling that the discovery of the world by Agnes Grey was developed with an increasing complexity like the flow of a river from its spring, growing and growing on it path to the sea where Agnes Grey finds not only independence but also love ! Maybe the love-story in Agnes Grey is not « exciting » but it’s deep and true. Well, I’m sincerely sorry for my clumsy expression, but I wanted to share my admiration for Agnes Grey which still seems a little undervaluated and regrettably shadowed by Charlotte and Emily’s works.