Your Book Activity - April 2014

Kylie

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished a 988 pages book with ALL Edgar Alla Poe's works! Every poem, every novel .. there are some pictures too, mainly Caspar David Friedrich's wonderful paintings. I'm highly satisfied! ;)

Then I started The Marriage Plot, Jeffrey Eugenides and The Secret Life of Bees, S.M. Kidd.  So far, so good, both of them. But there's a huge volume of american literature waiting for me in my library, it arrived yesterday, but I couldn't go to pick it up .. Faulkner, Steinbeck, the beat generation.. oh, I wish it was monday. Never thought I'd say something like this. :blush2:

Not much reading going on here, I've started several, and not continued seriously any of them.

I'd thought our Library Sale was this weekend, but it wasn't.  It won't happen till weekend after next.  Skipping for the Easter weekend.  Really, don't they know that the bibliophiles of the area are simply being ignored??  :eek:  :giggle2:  It was kind of amusing though.  We walked into the Hall where the sale is held, and wondered at how empty the place was.  A little man came out of waaaaay in the back and rather gruffly asked if we were looking for anything in particular.  I said, no, just mucking about.  Well!  He said, I'm getting ready to leave, so.........  Then he said they were not really open, he'd just come in to do some work.  :banghead:  

I suggested he lock the door if he didn't want people in there.  :P  Nicely, though. :angel_not:

Athena, that's so funny! I hadn't yet read your post when I replied. Apparently great minds think alike! We find the title to be intriguing. :D

x

:D!

x

I finished a 988 pages book with ALL Edgar Alla Poe's works! Every poem, every novel .. there are some pictures too, mainly Caspar David Friedrich's wonderful paintings. I'm highly satisfied! ;)

Then I started The Marriage Plot, Jeffrey Eugenides and The Secret Life of Bees, S.M. Kidd.  So far, so good, both of them. But there's a huge volume of american literature waiting for me in my library, it arrived yesterday, but I couldn't go to pick it up .. Faulkner, Steinbeck, the beat generation.. oh, I wish it was monday. Never thought I'd say something like this. :blush2:

x

Ele, well done on finishing the big book! I hope you enjoy your new books :).

x

I'd thought our Library Sale was this weekend, but it wasn't. [...]

x

I hope you have lots of fun at the sale in a few weeks! It's a shame it wasn't this weekend, don't you just hate to turn up somewhere and then it turns out there isn't a sale? I've had that happen too, we travelled all the way to Rotterdam (2 hours by train) to then find out there was nothing and the site we looked at had the date wrong and it was actually already finished.

We had our sale this weekend.  We're going to head back again tomorrow to see what else we can find.

x

I hope you find something nice :)!

I've read about 3/4ths of Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall, I should be able to finish it today. It's quite good.

Wow, that's massive! I also have a copy of the complete works... It's big and intimidating... :blush: Was it good? Would you encourage me to get on with it? :D

I hope you enjoy The Marriage Plot, and The Secret Life of Bees, especially! Great books :) And yep, you don't often hear someone say they wished it was Monday... :D

I finished New Moon last night and started reading Eclipse. I'm a bit worried, because Eclipse will not be a re-read for me. I wonder how mojo will take it.

I'm not sure if I posted that I was reading Dr. Sleep, but I finished that and then read I am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley.  Currently I'm ready Hollow City by Ransom Riggs. 

I recently picked up copies of Inferno by Dan Brown and The Glass Blower of Murano (Marina Fiorato) and am very excited to read both!

I finished New Moon last night and started reading Eclipse. I'm a bit worried, because Eclipse will not be a re-read for me. I wonder how mojo will take it.

x

I hope it will go okay :hug:.

I'm almost finished with Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall and am thinking about what kind of book I feel like reading next.

x

I hope it will go okay :hug:.

I'm almost finished with Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall and am thinking about what kind of book I feel like reading next.

Thanks Athena! :)

Hehe, the title The Shock of the Fall sounded familiar and I started wondering where I'd seen it... On Goodreads, of course, as the book you're reading :D

Wow, that's massive! I also have a copy of the complete works... It's big and intimidating... :blush: Was it good? Would you encourage me to get on with it? :D

I definitely encourage you to get on with Dear Old Edgar :D !! And tell your mojo to behave with Eclipse! :friends3:

I did read a bit more of Angel Fire by L. A. Weatherly last night, but have just realised it's over 700 pages long! :eek:  That's the drawback of a Kindle book, unless I actively remember to check when I start, I often don't realise how long a book is.  It wouldn't normally matter, but I don't have much time for reading at the moment, so I've been trying to avoid long books or those that require dedicating time to, and thought this would be a good one to pick off my TBR, but looks like I'll be sticking with it for the rest of the week now. :D

Been busy all day, so have been listening to an audio book as I couldn't sit down and read.  I've been meaning to read more of Gail Carriger's The Parasol Protectorate series after really enjoying the first one, Soulless a few years back, and thought it would be nice to refresh my memory of it by listening to the audio book.  A new narrator for me, but I have to say, Emily Gray had done a great job, and I'm enjoying it a lot! :smile2:

Over the last week or so i've finished A Very Long Engagement  Sebastien Japrisot for next months Reading Circle....hope i can still remember what i want to say about it by May :blush2: ..... & On The Beach Nevil Shute  finally turned up at the library so i've read that as well & put my thoughts on the relevant thread but just to say that it was a very enjoyable read  :D

Not sure what i'm going to pick up next, i do need to read Stolen  Rebecca Muddiman for my face to face book group as we're meeting the author next month but i do want to read something off my own TBR pile as well.

Decisions, decisions  :P

Im halfway through Chase Novak's Breed, its one of those books where i feel like im only reading a little bit at a time as theres just not much going on.

I finished vendetta by micheal dibdin today.

I'm going to start cities in flight by James Blish tomorrow.

I'm sticking with short reads at the moment so yesterday i started & finished Smut  Alan Bennett, it was only two short stories but very funny & naughty, it's a long time since i've managed to read a whole book in one day unlike my teenage daughter who can lay on her bed all day & read...... lucky thing  :ob_lazy:

My next read is going to be The Daughter Of Time  Josephine Tey