Your Book Activity - April 2014

Kylie

Well done Diane :)

Finished The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole and started The Shock of the Fall .. am riveted already. Also started listening to Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes. I'd not heard of it before trawling through Audible's titles. I've gone out on a limb a bit :blush2:  The 'Who' in the title is Hitler :o he's woken up (in a field) in Berlin during the summer of 2011. People recognise him of course but think him an impersonator .. he's outraged. It's satire and translated from German. Obviously it's a bit of a controversial book .. it's funny but already I feel guilty at smiling. It might turn out to be not the right choice but, for now, I'm going with it :blush2:  

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just won another giveaway via Goodreads. ' Arms Wide Open' by Tom Winter....been quite lucky with these recently... ;)

Yay, lucky you i never seem to win competitions  :D

I finished The Sea  John Banville last night, review on my reading log. Also got a call from the library to say that the book i'd reserved was ready for collection, thought it was going to be On The Beach but turned out to be Life after Life Kate Atkinson which had quite a long waiting list when i first reserved it so either it's a quick read or lots of people got fed up with it & didn't finish it  ;) Anyway making it my next read so i guess i'll find out if it's any good  :D

Look Who's Back has an amazing cover, doesn't it!  Even if a person didn't know what the book was about they'd be able to work out who the 'Who' of the title was.

Yes .. I love the cover .. very clever. It's fascinating too .. I mean highly improbable .. in fact totally improbable obviously .. but intriguing all the same.

This morning I finished The Dummy Line by Bobby Cole, which was average.  I'm now reading Pets In A Pickle by Malcolm Welshman. I also have several reviews to catch up on, but as usual I'm struggling to write them. :motz:

Just finished Wild Cards edited by George R R Martin. Was very impressed with it & will definitely be getting the rest of them as ive just found out theres loads!

Im going to make a start on The Uninvited by Liz Jensen now.

I'm all over the place with my reading at the moment. I started Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton, last night. It's a re-read, and because I vaguely remember parts of the story I'm pretty excited to be reading it. :boogie:

Alongside this, I'm reading Pets in a Pickle and 1,227 QI Facts to Blow Your Socks Off.

I've actually managed to get some reading in over the last few days, although I'm anticipating not having much time for it for a few weeks yet, so I didn't start anything requiring too much dedication, and have finished Those Endearing Young Charms by M. C. Beaton, and reading a YA thriller, Storm and Stone by Joss Stirling.

This morning I finished the biography of Nelson Mandela, very interesting!! And I'm halfway through Hugh Howey's Wool .. I'm not too sure how I feel about this: it's well written, but it seems like I already read the plot somewhere else. I'm waiting for a surprising "something".. :blush2:

Edited by Eleonora

This weekend I've read M C Beaton's Refining Felicity which I loved and So Many Books, So Little Time which was interesting but I got a bit annoyed that a lot of the books are out of print so it means I can't get them easily/cheaply!

I finished the day of the triffids today, it does have a good story but I'm not keen on ooen endings.

I'm starting the midwich cuckoos now.

The Long Long Way, my current read, WWI/trench warfare is a difficult but excellent read, I'm finally about 3/4th of the way through.  I just can't read it, exclusively.  So, last night I read about a quarter of I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith. 

This is Livia, wife of Caesar Augustus.......aka Livia the Poisoner. :)  told from her point of view, fictional, of course.  Well done, so far. 

I just finished the midwich cuckoos and it actually had an ending.

Back to zen now, vendetta.

Edited by dex

I had a really lazy weekend & spent much of Sunday just reading so i've got less than 150 pages to go in Life After Life  Kate Atkinson which has so far been a really good read.

My reading was going great, then I hit a minor slump, but started reading a page turning non-fiction book that really interested me, but for some reason I have ground to an absolute halt! *sigh* What's a girl to do?   :shrug:

Just finished Set in Stone by Robert Goddard for the English Counties Challenge. Enjoyed it a lot. But wanted something completely different for my next read, so now starting The Hacienda: How not to run a club by Peter Hook.

Edited by Alexi

My reading was going great, then I hit a minor slump, but started reading a page turning non-fiction book that really interested me, but for some reason I have ground to an absolute halt! *sigh* What's a girl to do?   :shrug:

Oh :( I suppose a girl's gotta have a cookie! :JC_cookies:   Maybe you could try a different book?

I can only seem to get into re-reads at the moment (yes Kylie, I've had to put down Catch 22, even though I was really, really enjoying it! :cry:) and I had a tricky time trying to find something that fit my mood last night. A bit surprisingly ended up reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

Fanks for the cookie. :smile:

I think a re read of something might jump start things for me. It has worked once or twice in the past.

Have you read 'Midnight Sun' by Stephanie Meyer? It's basically Twilight from Edward's point of view. It makes for pretty interesting reading, and to be honest I would have carried on hating Bella's character for EVER if I hadn't got to read how Edward saw things!  :giggle2:  There is a link to it here.

Have you read 'Midnight Sun' by Stephanie Meyer? It's basically Twilight from Edward's point of view. It makes for pretty interesting reading, and to be honest I would have carried on hating Bella's character for EVER if I hadn't got to read how Edward saw things!  :giggle2:  There is a link to it here.

No, I haven't read it. The thing is, I've only read Twilight and New Moon, and so the two other books in the series are still on my TBR pile :blush: (I was very eager to read them but I couldn't get a copy of them as soon as I'd wished and so I read other books in between, and then when I did finally get a copy of the books, I felt like I needed a re-read before getting into them. It's taken me this long to start Twilight again :lol:)

Thanks for the link, though. I might check it out after finishing the saga :)

This month so far :

John D. MacDonald - The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper - a nostalgic reread

I just caved in and got the entire series, none of which are new to me as I have previously read them all. Travis McGee is one of the greats in the traditional detective novel although he calls himself a 'salvage expert' rather than a detective. He lives aboard his barge - The Busted Flush - so named because that is how he won the boat and well ... you have to find out the rest for yourself.

Nevil Shute - On the Beach - a reread

Brian Stavely - The Emperor's Blades (or was that last month?)

I HATE reading a series that starts as well as this one does and then finding out it is a series and the next one is only out next year :( 

Martin Hengst - The SwordMage Trilogy (1, 2 and 3)

A little fantasy 'light'. The stories are good but lack a little depth. Not quite what it is actually as the characters are fairly well rounded and the plot lines are intricate enough, in a large enough world, but you come away feeling like there was an awful lot more to have been said which wasn't. 

Duncan M Hamilton - Society of the Sword (1 and 2)

Again fantasy 'light'. Not bad little series (there are just the two). A predictable ending but a few unpredictable twists and turns along the way. It wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be and the magical aspect was severely under-developed but it was readable. 

I would recommend both of these last two series for people who enjoy swords and magic type fantasy but don't like huge world building and complex stories on the lines of LOTR.

I just finished what I thought was Jack Reacher 10, but was actually 11.  So, I finished Bad Luck and Trouble last night and started on Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  Liking it a lot so far, but also finding it similar to The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disapeared... which is a little disappointing, as I've been wanting to read it for some time.

I had a really lazy weekend & spent much of Sunday just reading so i've got less than 150 pages to go in Life After Life  Kate Atkinson which has so far been a really good read.

I'm wondering about this book- I tried the sample and it didn't hook me.  Will probably take it up again.  The year is still young :D

lol That actually sounds really interesting!

Edited by Anna Begins

Finally finished The Storyteller by Jodi Piccoult yesterday, was a good read, pretty harrowing but what you would expect with concentration camps being the subject matter. Disappointing ending though, I've only read two of her books now, the other being My Sister's Keeper, and I was disappointed by that ending too.. Not sure I'll try another..