Your Book Activity - February 2014

Janet

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noll, if I'm thinking of the right series, the 2nd was pretty good, but I gave up on the 3rd.

It's the series where seemingly-immortal demon things rise up each night and try to kill/destroy everything, while humans hide behind wards (painted/engraved on walls, houses, in the ground etc) to try stay safe. Follows the stories of two boys and a girl in that world.

If you are thinking of that series, I'll be so disappointed if I don't like books 2 and 3, because the first one really was exceptionally good :(

I've read two more of the Bond books, From Russia With Love and Dr. No by Ian Fleming. Reviews on my book thread.

Want to get going better with my Far From the Tree book.  What else, I don't know yet. 

Finished Clan of the Cave Bear and started Persuader (Jack Reacher, No 7) by Lee Child.  I love it already!  After a 4 month break, its great to be in Reacher's head again :P And it fits for February's Crime/ Thriller theme :readingtwo:

Managed to find two more books on my English Counties challenge list in Oxfam today - The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. :)

x

I hope you enjoy them :)!

Just won a Giveaway book via Goodreads. :smile: Look forward to reading this one.

'The Invention of Wings' by Sue Monk Kidd

x

Exciting! I hope you enjoy it :).

Managed to find two more books on my English Counties challenge list in Oxfam today - The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. :)

Great find you got there, they are absolute classics  :smile: .

Just won a Giveaway book via Goodreads. :smile: Look forward to reading this one.

'The Invention of Wings' by Sue Monk Kidd

Congratulations on your win  :woohoo: !

Finished reading The Goldfinch last night  :boogie: . Phew, reading that book was an experience, I felt a bit drained by the end of it. I was exasperated sometimes; it seemed to be going on forever, but it was very, very good. Highly recommended! But I think that this could be a marmite book - you love it or  you hate it.

Hello, my friends!  I've missed you :D

I'm up to about page 100 of Dr. Sleep currently.  For the past month or so I've been in a bit of a reading funk but yesterday I really started to get into this King and thank goodness because it felt so weird not reading anything! 

Marie H, I recently read the Goldfinch too and absolutely loved it.  Donna Tartt is a master and for me, it didn't seem overly long at all.  I would highly recommend it as well! :D

Inver, I've been meaning to read more of Kidd's books.  I loved The Secret Life of Bees when I read it years ago but I still have The Mermaid Chair and this Wings one to read.  Has she written others?

Hello, my friends!  I've missed you :D

I'm up to about page 100 of Dr. Sleep currently.  For the past month or so I've been in a bit of a reading funk but yesterday I really started to get into this King and thank goodness because it felt so weird not reading anything! 

Marie H, I recently read the Goldfinch too and absolutely loved it.  Donna Tartt is a master and for me, it didn't seem overly long at all.  I would highly recommend it as well! :D

Hi Peacefield :smile: . Glad to hear your reading mojo is working well again, as it's really miserable when it's in the doldrums.

Yes, The Goldfinch was one of the best novels I've read for a long while, and the first I've read by Donna Tartt, so I'm looking forward to reading more of her work. In The Goldfinch, I was having difficulty with Theo's character - by the time the Vegas days, I wanted to yell at him "Theo! Don't go down that path of life!". But there were so many layers of the plot, and peoples characters and their choices (or lack of them) in life. It was brilliant  :yes: .