Your Book Activity - February 2014

Janet

Just got through the book review section in BBC History.  I now have a ton of new Kindle samples loaded.  Learned about some new authors (uk).  Elizabeth Norton, Charles Emmerson, Kate Williams.  It's a great magazine, I've really enjoyed it and am considering a subscription.

Still reading Clan of the Cave Bear, and still liking it a lot.  Only about 140pages in because of the magazine. 

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got through the book review section in BBC History.  I now have a ton of new Kindle samples loaded.  Learned about some new authors (uk).  Elizabeth Norton, Charles Emmerson, Kate Williams.  It's a great magazine, I've really enjoyed it and am considering a subscription.

Me too. Thank so much Anna, I didn't know about the book review section. :)

Have started Cassandra Claire City of Lost Souls book 5 of the Mortal Instruments series and I'm hoping it will be as good as the others. :)

Glad to hear they are good, I've got a sample of the 1st one.

I abandoned Josh Feingold - The Secret Guide to Happiness, a free Kindle ebook I downloaded a while ago (it might not be free any more). It seemed too complicated to me and too much out there, I couldn't grasp what the author meant so I've put it aside for now. I might pick it up at a later time when I feel more up for it. I've started to read Mark Vernon - The Good Life: 30 Steps to Perfecting the Art of Living which is good so far. I didn't want to start a new big book since it's the read-a-thon soon and I want to read specific reads for then. I'm trying not to read too much as I don't want to get mojo problems during the read-a-thon.

Finished Codex by Lev Grossman, it wasn't great. :(

I read that a couple of years ago after absolutely loving his novel The Magicians - but I agree Codex wasn't great.

I'm still working my way through The Painted Man, still enjoying it but fantasy books always take me a bit longer to get through - and I haven't done any reading in the last couple of days, I'm very bold.

I'm still working my way through The Painted Man, still enjoying it but fantasy books always take me a bit longer to get through - and I haven't done any reading in the last couple of days, I'm very bold.

x

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it :).

Finished The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan last night, review on my book thread. 

Almost finished From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming, and am halfway through the second chapter in Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon.  The chapter is entitled Deaf.  Wow.  Just wow!

Finished The Goldfinch and started Mr Pye by Mervyn Peake .. very good so far and quite unsettling. Think I can remember seeing the drama in the dim and distant but have very little recollection of it as it was so long ago. In my head it is now mixed in with other dramas.

Have a notion though that .. at some point .. he sprouts wings?

Also read The Library of Unrequited Love yesterday which is only short but brilliant :)  

Reading has been a bit slow over the last couple of days so i'm only up to 300pages in The Goldfinch but thoroughly enjoying it. I went to my book group meeting on Tuesday night & this months book is Fever Mary Beth Kane a story about Typhoid Mary it looks quite good so i'm looking forward to reading it :smile:

Poppyshake

Good to hear that  The Library of Unrequited Love was good, and I should get it from the library in a couple of weeks.  :smile:

For me The Goldfinch seems to be going on forever, and I'm trying to read it a couple hours each day,  and the HUGE plot twist last night was amazing   :o  :smile:

Edited by Marie H

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Painted Man and I'm dying to get to the end and read more. So so so good.

Not sure whether I'll go straight into the next book in that series, or jump back to the Unwind series and read the next in that first... so many good books!