What's Up in February?

Janet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My last day at work has now been finalised as Tuesday February 25th - which isn't that far away. I have 3 days holiday left to take and so have five days off before starting the new job on Monday 3rd March. I bought a big bar of chocolate on the way home to celebrate. :smile:

In the meantime, my friend who works in the laundry (and at 84 is older than some of the residents) had a letter from the Regional Manager in response to her grievance, which he has basically dismissed. She has a back injury caused by the company's negligence at not installing a washing machine properly (i.e. not on a raised plinth) for which she successfully brought a personal injury claim, and yet they want her to start doing what they term housekeeping duties (i.e. moving furniture and so on). She had a meeting with a lady from HR in January at which she raised all of her concerns, and a copy of the notes from that meeting signed by both of them. The Regional Manager though is denying that any such meeting took place and claiming that she agreed to these changes when she clearly has not. I though remember seeing her in that meeting and witnessed her being asked to attend, so have told her that if she needs a witness, I am more than willing, as I can see that this is going to end up in court.

I have worked for some idiots in my time, but I have never come across a company who is so utterly incompetent in all my days. :banghead: I will be so glad to walk out of there on February 25th. I am willing to bet that the new uniform that I have been waiting 9 months for will arrive on that precise date !

x

I'm glad you'll be out of there soon! Good for you for helping the older woman. I hope things will go better with your new work place :).

I'm on my husband's computer right now, as I dropped the keyboard on mine.  It's one of those wireless deals, and seems to now be kaput.  We'll go tomorrow and find a new one.  What a bloody nuisance!  His keyboard is different, a little bit, and feels funny to me.  Plus he doesn't use his number keypad, and I always do, so I hope I remember to redo the Num Lock thingy.....!  hee hee

x

I hope you find a nice new keyboard :).

10 more inches of snow yesterday.  On top of the 5 we had this past Monday.  Another 3 predicted for Sunday.   :help:

x

Wow, that's a lot! I hope it clears up for you soon.

Yesterday I went out for lunch with some people and I went to the book fair. It was all a lot of fun, but I'm quite tired from it. This weekend I hope to be doing a lot of reading as it's the read-a-thon.

Thank you Athena - I have 3 days off now, so Coran and I are going to spend the weekend writing my letter of complaint. I am not sure if it will be an official grievance at this point, as I may be able to achieve more if I write it more from the perspective of whistle blowing. I suspect that I need to speak to the Union Rep again when she is back from holiday on Monday and get her take on it - I will ring her secretary later on to fill her in ahead of when the Rep comes back to work on Monday so that she can brief her. 

In the meantime, I have just booked my air ticket to Iceland which I am really excited about. I have watching the air fares for a while, and when I noticed that there was only one seat left for the lowest fair available thought I had better book it. Sure enough, after I had done that the fair went up again by another £11. I will add my baggage allowance later on, as it's a low cost airline - only 2 of them fly to Iceland from Gatwick anyway and one of them only on certain days of the week.  

All my accommodation is now booked as well - mostly sleeping bag places which is fine for me, as it keeps the cost down further. Prices have rocketed since the crash of 2008 and the days of being able to book a few weeks ahead are long gone. Hostels are better for me though as I can self cater, which is important when you have a gluten free diet, not to mention the fact that it is so much cheaper. I am really excited to be going to the Hornstrandir peninsula in the northwest fjords, which is one of the few remaining wilderness areas in Europe - I will 2 1/2 days in which to explore the area that I have chosen (with 24 hour daylight to boot) and I just know that it is going to be amazing.

10 more inches of snow yesterday.  On top of the 5 we had this past Monday.  Another 3 predicted for Sunday.   :help:

Um, we had some ice yesterday.....fell and collected on the table in the back yard.  Charles was thrilled!  He had finally seen ice in the South! 

Actually he just missed the snow we did have in 2008...I actually had two feet in the back yard!!!  That never happened before...never!

He is hoping for another "100 year" snowfall.  :giggle2:

In other news, I have my new keyboard.  Yays!  :cool:

Congrats Weave - and Raven.

I handed in my notice today, so it is now official. :smile: I left the letter on my bosses desk this morning - she has not acknowledged it as yet, but I know she got it, as other staff members were talking about it and I didn't tell them, so they can only have known about it from her ... I expect she will see me tomorrow, and if she doesn't, then I will see her as I need her to tell me how much holiday I am still owed so that I can work out my exact leaving date. I am not telling anyone where I am going (at least for the moment), as the Head Housekeeper, with whom my boss is very friendly went for the same job, and I don't want to give her any excuse to have another go at me. I expect it will come out at some point, but not until I am ready.

I went to the new place on the way home and signed the contract with them, so it's all systems go!  

So glad you'll soon be out of there !

Thanks everyone, here is the little lady herself ~ Islay :) Aoife is not sure of her yet :)

Congratulations ! I love babies .

x

Congrats on handing in your notice and signing the new contract :)

x

Awwww so beautiful :).

I'm taking it easy for a few days since there's the read-a-thon and the book fair coming up. I'm also going out for lunch with some family and friends. I'm looking forward to it all but it will be tiring too.

Hope you enjoy yourself, Athena !

It's incredibly stormy here! We've had flooding in the city in the last couple of days, I haven't been affected so far but apparently tonight is going to be the worst of it so far - and UCC have implemented flood prevention measures along their buildings on the road adjacent to mine, so I'm a little nervous. My apartment will be fine as I'm three floors up but still - don't want the road outside to flood or I won't be able to get out!

Stay safe !

Wow, we only have about 5 . Cannot wait til spring !

Um, we had some ice yesterday.....fell and collected on the table in the back yard.  Charles was thrilled!  He had finally seen ice in the South! 

Actually he just missed the snow we did have in 2008...I actually had two feet in the back yard!!!  That never happened before...never!

He is hoping for another "100 year" snowfall.  :giggle2:

In other news, I have my new keyboard.  Yays!  :cool:

Congrats on the new keyboard .

Coran and I have spent the morning writing my letter of grievance - when they read it they will have one hell of a shock as I don't mince my words. They have all these so-called values that members of staff are supposed to adhere to such as honesty, respect and so on, and I have told them what they are doing is the exact opposite.  It is pretty explosive stuff. :D A copy has been sent by email to my Union Rep who will read it on her return to work tomorrow, and as soon as she approves it, it will be winging its way via recorded delivery to the Regional Manager.

After we had written it Coran and I went out for a nice veggie fry up to celebrate and this afternoon we are going to see The Railway Man, which I have heard is very good. That is about facing your demons as well I hear. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

Congrats again, Auntie Paula!  Islay is beautiful.

I don't envy you one bit on the snow business, Sofia.  It's been extremely cold here so the foot of snow we have isn't going anywhere.

My mom has been in Arizona all week so I'm watching the dog and getting in some much-needed relaxation.  She's back on Tues so I took the next couple of days off so the dog wouldn't have to be alone all day while I'm at work.  I have an appt in the morning at a fitness club so hopefully it'll go well and a membership won't break the bank!  I'm just not getting anywhere on my own and I think I could really benefit from a personal trainer and taking some classes.

My trip to Chicago is in the works for the second week in September and I can't wait!  I've got my hotel booked and vacation reserved from work.  Two of my friends and I will be driving so it'll be good to split up the costs.  I'm so looking forward to the museums and just walking around there and exploring.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! :D

Talisman I so glad you witness the meeting the lady had. You will properly get the uniform on the day you leave.

Probably ! My own grievance was sent by recorded delivery today. I spoke to the Union Rep and she is going to get some legal advice as to whether I may even have a case for constructive dismissal (doubtful, but the fact that she even thinks this shows the seriousness of this situation). There are seven separate incidents that I am complaining about, with three different Managers involved, hence the need to take it higher up the chain of command to the District Manager. I have at least 2 members of staff who are prepared to support me, and stick their own necks out - one of them is my friend who works in the laundry, and another a Senior Carer.

All I can do is wait to see what happens .... It makes one hell of a difference knowing that I have the Union to back me up, this though has probably taken every ounce of courage that I have as it could potentially get very nasty indeed. 

It's been a while since I've been on here. Have the week off this week though so I thought I would pop in.

Lots has been going on since I was last here, I'm not even sure when that was.

November I was in hospital, with chest pains. With my heart condition I was obviously worried about that but it wasn't my heart but my lungs which were the problem. I have brochiostatis which basically means I get a build up of phlegm in my lungs, and this was what was causing the pain. They also found a blood clot on one of my lungs so now I've had to add warfarin to the giant list of medications I take. I'm awaiting a brochoscapy to see what's happening with my lungs- but really not looking forward to it.

Have also finally got an appointment through to see the cardiac surgeon- I've been waiting since November. Hopefully it will mean I can have the surgery sooner rather than later. I'm a little anxious but I do want it done soon as I feel waiting for it is holding me back.

In better news the boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house, we have a decent deposit and are hoping to get a 15% mortgage, but we'll see what we find.

You've not been up to much then Lucy? :o  Blooming heck lovely, you've had a lot on your plate. I hope all the upcoming investigations and surgeries go brilliantly for you.

House buying too? Lovely stuff, although we may insist on giving you advice on where you put your bookshelves and whatnot!. :D Photos may be required.

You've not been up to much then Lucy? :o  Blooming heck lovely, you've had a lot on your plate. I hope all the upcoming investigations and surgeries go brilliantly for you.

House buying too? Lovely stuff, although we may insist on giving you advice on where you put your bookshelves and whatnot!. :D Photos may be required.

Yes. God knows how I've had time for anything else!

I'm hoping for a little library (possibly library/spare room) but we shall see

I have orientation for a Community College tonight.  It's just basically to ask questions, get to know the school, find out how to apply.  Everyone on here has totally inspired me.  I think I want to teach English.  Mainly, I just want to take English classes :giggle2:

I have orientation for a Community College tonight.  It's just basically to ask questions, get to know the school, find out how to apply.  Everyone on here has totally inspired me.  I think I want to teach English.  Mainly, I just want to take English classes :giggle2:

Let us know how you get on. :smile:

I'm catching up with myself a little this week. I seem to be about 3 weeks out of sync in my head at the moment so list writing has become essential. :giggle2: So this week is about home and hearth. The weather is definitely conducive to staying indoors anyway so it works out well.

It's been a while since I've been on here. Have the week off this week though so I thought I would pop in.

Lots has been going on since I was last here, I'm not even sure when that was.

November I was in hospital, with chest pains. With my heart condition I was obviously worried about that but it wasn't my heart but my lungs which were the problem. I have brochiostatis which basically means I get a build up of phlegm in my lungs, and this was what was causing the pain. They also found a blood clot on one of my lungs so now I've had to add warfarin to the giant list of medications I take. I'm awaiting a brochoscapy to see what's happening with my lungs- but really not looking forward to it.

Have also finally got an appointment through to see the cardiac surgeon- I've been waiting since November. Hopefully it will mean I can have the surgery sooner rather than later. I'm a little anxious but I do want it done soon as I feel waiting for it is holding me back.

In better news the boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house, we have a decent deposit and are hoping to get a 15% mortgage, but we'll see what we find.

x

Wow :(. Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes well for you.

x

x

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it :).

I'm catching up with myself a little this week. I seem to be about 3 weeks out of sync in my head at the moment so list writing has become essential. :giggle2: So this week is about home and hearth. The weather is definitely conducive to staying indoors anyway so it works out well.

x

I love writing lists! I hope you have a good week :).

x

Wow :(. Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes well for you.

x

Thanks.

Today has been a pretty rubbish day. I had to go get my blood test done, and realised I had misread my appointment book and should have been there on Tuesday. That meant I had to have a proper blood test done (usually it's a pin prick type- like you get for diabetes). Was on my way home and Archie (the boyfriend) text me to ask to meet up when he was done with work because he had some bad news. Turned out he was fired today. He is understandable upset. Says he is more annoyed because he didn't like the job but had stuck with it because once he had been there 12 months (he was a temp.) then he would be considered for a mortgage- his 12 months were up just last week.

Of course it means that we're going to have to put our house buying plans on hold at least until he's gone through probation for another job. I feel like we've been waiting so long already and I'm obviously upset myself. I'm not sure I can wait another year. We may move in together renting- when he gets a new job- but that would make it hard to keep saving. At the moment I live with my parents (who I do pay rent to, but it's very low) and he is in a bedsit (also very cheap). we might be able to get somewhere the same price for just rent but then there will be bills on top of that.

I'm trying to look on the bright side. He had a job sent to him to apply for last week which was permanent but which he was unsure about applying for because of the extra time until we could buy a house- but which would put him in a more stable position. At least now he has nothing to loose by going for it. He wasn't happy at his current place, or in that type of role, so hopefully he can find something he enjoys now.

That's crappy news Lucy. I hope it leads to a brilliant new job for boyf, and the two of you get your own place sorted out soon. Staying put for the moment does make sense, and if it's only for another year, you should be ok. Take care. X  :friends0:

I am sorry Lucy - like others though have said, I am sure it will work out in the end - these things usually do. 

As for me, my grievance letter has arrived and I have the Managers all running scared. :smile: While I have some compassion for them, as their behaviour has and is mostly due to stress, it is not an excuse, for I know if I had spoken to them like that I would have been shown the door, or at he very least given a severe dressing down. 

Just after 10am yesterday, my Line Manager, who has been the main culprit, called me into the meeting room for a chat where I found the Head Housekeeper (her informer) sitting with a pen and paper. There had been a complaint about one of the rooms earlier, so I asked her whether it was about this and she said no, that it to do with a letter they had received - I didn't need to ask which one. She then proceeded to ask whether there was anything she could do to help. I replied by stating that she could not as procedures needed to be followed in the correct way, to which she said "I doubt that, as M (the |Business Manager) has asked me to come and see you and she knows what the procedures are". I replied by stating that I was pretty sure I was right, but I could phone the Union and check if she wanted! I then said that I was not prepared to say anything without my Union Officer being present and got up and left the room. I immediately phoned said Union Officer who confirmed that by doing this they were acting outside the law, thereby giving me even more to add to my grievance. When you are in a hole though really should stop digging ....

Today though being my day off and the fact that it is tipping down with rain, I am going to start work on my opening statement, bringing in as much spirituality as I can muster, while at the same time making it clear what a bunch of idiots they really are. I have one or two work colleagues who although they have not witnessed these incidents directly, have nevertheless agreed to write statements saying what I have told them and what they have seen (with of course dates which I can supply them with - one for example found me crying in the staff room over one of the incidents). When I return to work this weekend, I need to ask them to prepare these sooner rather than later, so I am prepared. Nothing is likely to happen until after I have left, since my Line Manager is on holiday next week, but given that my last day is soon after that, time is of the essence.

A complaint about three Managers, who make up the entire Management team is though potentially very serious indeed, as I am sure they know. It has taken a lot of courage for me to do this.   

Today I have had an unexpected blood test, where I went to make an appointment for one and the nurse carried it out there and then. :o I should see how my thyroid is behaving next week, as I have a muddle of things going on at the moment.

I have helped put a chainsaw together, unfurling the tangled chain on it to enable a swearing husband :censored:  to put it together.

I have also collected loads of knitted squares from my elderly neighbour that I will be posting next week for a charity making blankets for Syrian refugees in Turkey. I will be including 2 of my own. :blush2:  I am slow at knitting and crocheting, whereas my neighbour (at 93) is doing a square a day.

Today has been a pretty rubbish day.

Sounds like! I'm really sorry to hear about that Lucybird, I hope he either finds something great soon or is happy to take that stable job. It is a shame to have to put house-buying on hold, but maybe living together in a rented place would be a nice compromise, in terms of being with him? It's not your own place (yet) but you're still living in it together. Either way, whatever ye decide to do, I wish ye luck with it. :)

I haven't much personal news. Ireland has been taking more of a battering than usual lately - we had flooding (particularly in my city, Cork, twice in three days the week before last and probably again tonight.) It's annoying for business owners because the river tends to flood right into the city centre, and this will be the third time in as many weeks. In addition, the whole country (but particularly the southwest, where I am) got battered by a storm. I'd imagine places in the UK did too. My parents 15 trees (60ft evergreens) got blown down, damaging the neighbour's shed roof and squishing their trampoline. My brother's response was 'a better trampoline would have bounced the trees back up.' :giggle:  either way, no one was hurt, which is good as there is one house within falling-distance of the trees.

Starting to think Ireland - or at least the southwest - is a bit of  a write-off, we're gonna have to abandon ship!

Sorry to hear, Lucy. 
And the flooding... Shame we don't have a big mountain there on the coast to the Atlantic to protect Europe from the winds. 

I think I am coming down with a cold. Bad timing as I am a trainee for another 4 weeks. Work 5 days a week. No time to have a bad cold. So I am hoping it will turn out to be nothing. 

The big annual book sale begins in Sweden on February 25th. Looking forward to that a lot.