Janet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Everyone, hope everyone is good. :)

My sister's contractions started this morning, so my new niece is on her way, Aoife will be a big sister :)

I hope all goes well for your sister and her daughter, congratulations in advance :)!

The book fair and then the read-a-thon are coming up and I'm quite excited about both. Today I'm having a relaxing Sunday since yesterday I spend quite some time in town (in shops) and I'm tired from that (I did too much..). I did have a lot of fun though.

After trying several times over the last couple of years, I am 99% certain I managed to see Mercury just after sunset this evening. 

I can't be 100% sure, because the position of the stars around it were a little off compared to the guide I was using, but it was the brightest thing in the right part of the sky and it's position relative to the moon was about right.

So, I'm calling this a "Yay!".

After trying several times over the last couple of years, I am 99% certain I managed to see Mercury just after sunset this evening. 

I can't be 100% sure, because the position of the stars around it were a little off compared to the guide I was using, but it was the brightest thing in the right part of the sky and it's position relative to the moon was about right.

I'd call that a "Yay" with a double helping of "Woo and indeed Hoo". :clapping: Great stuff Raven, I'm both pleased for you and jealous. :D

Woohoo!  That is way cool.

Today is the Super Bowl- a day in the US where we sit around and eat and watch football, pretty much.  We aren't having a party, just us.  My mom is making homemade chili and I am making guacamole with tomatoes, red onion, lime and garlic.  We are also having tomatillo salsa, beer and margaritas!  Go Denver! (we hate Seattle because they beat us for this game).

Working at my old school starting 2/10 and 5 weeks forward as part of my teacher education. Wonder how many teachers are still there that were there when I went there (1999-2002). 

Congrats, Waeve!

Congrats Weave - and Raven.

I handed in my notice today, so it is now official. :smile: I left the letter on my bosses desk this morning - she has not acknowledged it as yet, but I know she got it, as other staff members were talking about it and I didn't tell them, so they can only have known about it from her ... I expect she will see me tomorrow, and if she doesn't, then I will see her as I need her to tell me how much holiday I am still owed so that I can work out my exact leaving date. I am not telling anyone where I am going (at least for the moment), as the Head Housekeeper, with whom my boss is very friendly went for the same job, and I don't want to give her any excuse to have another go at me. I expect it will come out at some point, but not until I am ready.

I went to the new place on the way home and signed the contract with them, so it's all systems go!  

Thanks everyone, here is the little lady herself ~ Islay :) Aoife is not sure of her yet :)

post-3736-0-38547200-1391523076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weave

I handed in my notice today, so it is now official. :smile: I left the letter on my bosses desk this morning - she has not acknowledged it as yet, but I know she got it, as other staff members were talking about it and I didn't tell them, so they can only have known about it from her ... I expect she will see me tomorrow, and if she doesn't, then I will see her as I need her to tell me how much holiday I am still owed so that I can work out my exact leaving date. I am not telling anyone where I am going (at least for the moment), as the Head Housekeeper, with whom my boss is very friendly went for the same job, and I don't want to give her any excuse to have another go at me. I expect it will come out at some point, but not until I am ready.

I went to the new place on the way home and signed the contract with them, so it's all systems go!

x

Congrats on handing in your notice and signing the new contract :)

Thanks everyone, here is the little lady herself ~ Islay :) Aoife is not sure of her yet :)

x

Awwww so beautiful :).

I'm taking it easy for a few days since there's the read-a-thon and the book fair coming up. I'm also going out for lunch with some family and friends. I'm looking forward to it all but it will be tiring too.

It's incredibly stormy here! We've had flooding in the city in the last couple of days, I haven't been affected so far but apparently tonight is going to be the worst of it so far - and UCC have implemented flood prevention measures along their buildings on the road adjacent to mine, so I'm a little nervous. My apartment will be fine as I'm three floors up but still - don't want the road outside to flood or I won't be able to get out!

Hope it's not too bad there Noll - I know how scary the threat of flooding can be. We had severe floods here too over Christmas, and we couldn't get in or out of the village for a day - the hotel at the bottom of the Hill was under three feet of water and they were taking people out in boats ! At least you are three floors up and you know that your own home is not going to be flooded. A few people that I work with lost their electricity.

I have though spent most of the evening booking various sleeping places around Iceland for this summer. Iceland is becoming very popular these days, so gone are the days when you could book maybe a month ahead. I won't have a car (or a tent) and so can't afford to take chances. I have just 2 more places to book, but have been asked to ring back tomorrow about those before 6pm, so they will have to wait for the moment. I feel a lot happier though knowing I will have somewhere to sleep - which is where I am heading now - accompanied  by my Kindle of course.   :sleeping-smiley-009  

Edited by Talisman

Four major streets and several adjoining side streets all submerged. I'm grand, I'm far enough away from it that I ain't getting flooded. Still, some scary images on Twitter from it all - I'll include links rather than embedding - these are all from the last hour:

Canoes on one of the streets: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfqU5R6CIAAKZK5.jpg:large

The central shopping street in town: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfqNvP0IUAAGTwx.jpg

One of the adjoining streets: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfqPHZtCQAA1teh.jpg:large

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I seriously feel for all the business owners - it's all streets with dozens of businesses on them that get hit every time the city floods - which is a lot, lately.

Edited by Nollaig

Thanks - it's not a drawn-out problem per se, the floods recede within hours of coming in because they go out with the tide - but this is the second time in three days so you can imagine the stress the people living and working on those streets are experiencing! There needs to be proper flood prevention measures implemented, so there does.

So far for us (in the South East of the UK) it is just very windy, with the rain and stronger winds expected this afternoon. 

This is therefore a great day to have our gutters replaced! :o  John is currently on a scaffold platform at the back of our house removing the old ones. I have said I will keep my ears open for a shout if he gets blown off the scaffold. I am making regular cups of coffee, and I made sure we had a range of biscuits to keep his spirits up. Most definitely rather him than me.

I should be doing the ironing, but I am finding lots and lots of other things to keep me occupied instead ~ including being on here! :D

My last day at work has now been finalised as Tuesday February 25th - which isn't that far away. I have 3 days holiday left to take and so have five days off before starting the new job on Monday 3rd March. I bought a big bar of chocolate on the way home to celebrate. :smile:

In the meantime, my friend who works in the laundry (and at 84 is older than some of the residents) had a letter from the Regional Manager in response to her grievance, which he has basically dismissed. She has a back injury caused by the company's negligence at not installing a washing machine properly (i.e. not on a raised plinth) for which she successfully brought a personal injury claim, and yet they want her to start doing what they term housekeeping duties (i.e. moving furniture and so on). She had a meeting with a lady from HR in January at which she raised all of her concerns, and a copy of the notes from that meeting signed by both of them. The Regional Manager though is denying that any such meeting took place and claiming that she agreed to these changes when she clearly has not. I though remember seeing her in that meeting and witnessed her being asked to attend, so have told her that if she needs a witness, I am more than willing, as I can see that this is going to end up in court.

I have worked for some idiots in my time, but I have never come across a company who is so utterly incompetent in all my days. :banghead: I will be so glad to walk out of there on February 25th. I am willing to bet that the new uniform that I have been waiting 9 months for will arrive on that precise date !      

Oh, brother!  What a bunch of creeps. 

Yays for the final date, and the chocolate celebration.  :D

I'm very glad you will be able to be a witness for the other lady. 

I'm on my husband's computer right now, as I dropped the keyboard on mine.  It's one of those wireless deals, and seems to now be kaput.  We'll go tomorrow and find a new one.  What a bloody nuisance!  His keyboard is different, a little bit, and feels funny to me.  Plus he doesn't use his number keypad, and I always do, so I hope I remember to redo the Num Lock thingy.....!  hee hee

First sunny day in a bit here, but it'll freeze again tonight, after being up to about 72F yesterday.  Rollercoaster weather, wheeeeeee!

10 more inches of snow yesterday.  On top of the 5 we had this past Monday.  Another 3 predicted for Sunday.   :help:

And to think, the groundhog also seen its shadow. :)

"Here's looking at you kid"......(see if you can figure that one out). :)