Nostalgic books?

ibrahimk93

For me, the Anastasia Krupnik series by Lois Lowry always does it :) I grew up reading the novels, and she and I had/have so much in common. I own all of the books and I still re-read them. Some day I want to buy all the books about her little brother Sam :)

Edited by frankie

For me it's The Castle In The Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop. One of my absolute favourite books as a child, and I wanted to reread it for so long. Didn't quite live up to expectations when I re-read it, but definitely brought me right back to childhood!

For me it's many books that I read as a child, my favourites is the BabySitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin. Other books I'm very nostalgic about are some of Thea Beckman's books, R. L. Stein's books, Stephen King - IT and probably many more that I can't think of atm.

"The Wind in the Willows" would be one of those books for me.

I don't think that books elicit a strong memory of where you were the first time that you read it, which I think music does. What I get from books I re-read is more generalised idea of the feelings I had.

So, for instance - re-reading Wind in the Willows, which I did just before Christmas reading it to my daughter, and I get feeling of warm summer days, and a vague memory of my back garden growing up. So I assume I first read it in summer and in our back garden! But when I listen to say Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast album, I get a very strong image of me at 16, sat in my bedroom holding the album sleeve, reading the lyric sheet and being amazed at the sounds coming from the speakers.

For me it's many books that I read as a child, my favourites is the BabySitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin. Other books I'm very nostalgic about are some of Thea Beckman's books, R. L. Stein's books, Stephen King - IT and probably many more that I can't think of atm.

If I count children's books, I'd have to go back to the Nancy Drew series.  Plus, the Wizard of Oz.....there is a whole series of those as well. 

A lot of Enid's books which would be virtually intolerable now if it wasn't for the nostalgia :blush2:  ... I was so jealous of those Malory Towers girls frying up sausages at midnight .. I'd never eaten a sausage past 6 o'clock :blush2: Also Mary Norton's Borrowers books which I just ate up as a child and adored .. and C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe which is just delicious. I'll never forget reading about those fur coats in the wardrobe (hope they were fake :D) sardines with Mr Tumnus and Turkish Delight with the White Witch :hide:  (I'm sure my book nostalgia isn't all food based though  :blush2:)

Like Athena, it's books I read as a child, the main ones which stick in my mind being the Swallows and Amazons series; Enid Blyton's Nature Book; Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Books and Puck of Pook's Hill/Rewards and Fairies; the Paddington Bear books; Winnie-the-Pooh. There are many others ,but these one jump out at me immediately.

• 1 month later...

Top of my list would be The Chronicles of Narnia, especially Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Next would be The Borrowers, the first one. Finally would be Little Men by Louisa May Alcott.  All three are so lovely and just drew me in to another place.  I found that it still holds true when I read them as an adult.

John Marsden series Tomorrow When the War Began does it for me, every time i read it. Another would be Aesop's Fables, when I flick through it i always get flash backs to when my mum would read me stories from it every night before bed. I also remembering flicking through to look at the pictures. Here is my beloved edition, I have had it for 23 years and 5 months. My mum wrote the date i got it in the book.

3b2305a17ec6beae1747d8900bf53e08_zpse961

Edited by Devi

My favorite nostalgic book as a child would be The Hobbit. As an adult I actually have several nostalgic books that I constantly pick up and re-read. Funny how I can be minding my own business reading one book and then that book triggers my old favorites, so I have to pick it up and read it again! :P Its a right wonder I can get through any books! But my favorite go to books are Anna Karenina, Emma, Wives and Daugthers and of course the Harry Potter books! Whats the best way to get that special feeling then by going back to Hogwarts?!

I often wonder how I would have turned out had these books been around when I was a child...probably crazier than a one-eyed frog.

Mine are books from when I was a kid. They are the most precious to me.

Astrid Lindgren stories (Seacrow island, Ronja the robber's daughter, Pippi Longstocking, Emil of Lönneberga & The six Bullerby children)

Disney stories (I was in a Disney book club and they sent out a new book every month)

Pettson & Findus (a lonesome elderly man, slightly confused but smart and his funny cat)

Bamse (aka the world's strongest bear)

Child 312

Sune books by Jacobsson/Olsson (10 year old girl-loving boy and his nutty lovable family)

The Hedenhös children (a family living in the stone age)

th_227685656_nostalgicbooks_122_58lo.jpg 
(click thumbnail for bigger image)