What movie and series should everyone have seen at least once?

emelee

What should EVERYONE have seen or heard, at least once?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which FILM should everyone have seen?

• Shawshank redemption
    • The Godfather
    • Star Wars
    • Its a wonderful life
    • Citizen Kane
    • Titanic
    • Taxi driver
    • American beauty
    • Schindlers list
    • E.T.
  2. 2. Which TV-series should everyone have seen?

• Fawlty towers
    • Sopranos
    • Seinfeld
    • Breaking bad
    • Downton Abbey
    • Doctor Who
    • X-files
    • Game of thrones
    • Twin Peaks
    • Simpsons

IMO the must see movie series is Star Wars, how can you say that you have watched anything if you haven't seen that starship fly over head and you hear that music :) (and yes you can tell I have watched them more than once lol)

I have a friend who used to claim that liking Star Wars was a pre-requisite for being a human being. 20-odd years ago I may have agreed with him, but the prequels have diminished my enjoyment of the franchise (hopefully JJ will be able to restore it).

On the film front I would have to say everyone should see Amelie at least once in their lives.

TV, would have to be Band of Brothers.

Edited by Raven

IMO the must see movie series is Star Wars, how can you say that you have watched anything if you haven't seen that starship fly over head and you hear that music :) (and yes you can tell I have watched them more than once lol)

I'm totally with you on Star Wars!  Empire Strikes Back is my fav!

For TV- Northern Exposure and M*A*S*H

Edited by Anna Begins

None!  It's all too personal, somebody's all-time great being somebody else's pet hate.  It doesn't help that I'm finding TV less and less interesting, to the extent I'd be quite content for the TV to go (but the family wouldn't let me!).  Having said that, the one big personal 'must-see', and the only TV I've watched since Christmas, is Sherlock (I'd be prepared to wait for the DVD!).  With film, a long list of favourites (not many blockbusters though, but I do agree with Raven in rating Amelie as a favourite, maybe even no. 1), but I can't think of any that everybody should see.

I was choosing from the list. If it is to be a pick-your-favorite from any movie / TV including those not shown I would definitely go with Mash and Northern exposure (see Anna Begins post) for TV series. Dr. Zhivago would be one of my favorite movies.

the point of the topic is to pick your favorite not to try and list what everyone else may like which would be an impossible task.

Edited by muggle not

None!  It's all too personal, somebody's all-time great being somebody else's pet hate.  It doesn't help that I'm finding TV less and less interesting, to the extent I'd be quite content for the TV to go (but the family wouldn't let me!).  Having said that, the one big personal 'must-see', and the only TV I've watched since Christmas, is Sherlock (I'd be prepared to wait for the DVD!).  With film, a long list of favourites (not many blockbusters though, but I do agree with Raven in rating Amelie as a favourite, maybe even no. 1), but I can't think of any that everybody should see.

IMO, some things are great to have seen even if you hated them, just because you can join in conversations or understand references etc. It's like history. Some events are more important to know of than others because they changed a lot in the society. And if you never heard of that specific event, people will think you´re dumb. 

That was a little what this question is about. A film or tv-series that everyone should know of or have seen to be "media smart"

After some thinking, I voted Star Wars and Seinfeld. I still hear lots of references to both. And if you have never seen them, you'll simply won't understand the conversation to its fullest.

The Godfather is my runner-up for film, and probably X-files as runner-up for tv-series. 

IMO, some things are great to have seen even if you hated them, just because you can join in conversations or understand references etc. It's like history. Some events are more important to know of than others because they changed a lot in the society. And if you never heard of that specific event, people will think you´re dumb.

That was a little what this question is about. A film or tv-series that everyone should know of or have seen to be "media smart".....

After some thinking, I voted Star Wars and Seinfeld. I still hear lots of references to both. And if you have never seen them, you'll simply won't understand the conversation to its fullest.

The Godfather is my runner-up for film, and probably X-files as runner-up for tv-series.

Hmmm. Can't say I'm overly bothered about the opinion of somebody who forms it based on what film or TV series I've watched.  Having never been involved in a conversation about Seinfeld, I think I'll cope with not being able to understand one to the full (in fact, I doubt if I'd understand one at all)!

An interesting question though: what, if any, films or TV series have changed society significantly (and how)? 

Hmmm. Can't say I'm overly bothered about the opinion of somebody who forms it based on what film or TV series I've watched.  Having never been involved in a conversation about Seinfeld, I think I'll cope with not being able to understand one to the full (in fact, I doubt if I'd understand one at all)!

An interesting question though: what, if any, films or TV series have changed society significantly (and how)? 

It's not so much a conversation about a certain tv-show or film. But more like referencing to one in a conversation about something else. Like if you are at a restaurant and you do something that isn't within the norm of how you normally behave in a restaurant and someone says "No soup for you!", then you can laugh about it because you regognize that line from somewhere, in this case Seinfeld. Or you are out with friends, and they say something like "I should be heading home to the death star", then you can understand that the person is referring to where Darth Vadar lives. Maybe that person is trying to say he/she is like that character. Or such definitions as "man hands", "close talker", "anti-dentite", "bizzaro", "double dipping", "festivus", "it's not you, it's me routine", "jimmy legs", "key brothers", "low talker", "mimbo", "mulva", "a must-lie situation", "non-sexual crush", "degift", "sidler" etc that comes from Seinfeld. 

It's tiny things like that. It broadens your perspective on things and your references. Can you imagine a world where no one has ever seen the same things as you have? You having no references in common with someone else? It would be horrible. 

:I-Agree:  I kind of get annoyed when I hear the words "should have watched" or "must see movies".  I get just as irritated when this is done with books as well.  

I've seen about 5 from the first list and only two from the second list.