Favourite book of the year so far.

JudyB

Boy in the Striped Pajamas - it gave me nightmares, and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days.

Aww that book was fab. I read it because someone on here (can't remember who - PP, Gyre...? ) recommended it.

One of my real-life bookworms has nominated it as her choice, so I'm going to read it again as we're discussing it in September. I think it'll make for some interesting debate/discussion.

I'm not sure about my favourite of the year so far. Either The Secret Life of Bees or The House at Riverton, I think.

I hope everyone is taking note of their favourites for the Annual Book Club Forum book Awards! There's plenty time yet before it al kicks off (we run it in January, so you can take all the books you've read in 2007 into account, right through to the end of December), and I think we'll have HEAPS to choose from this year!

Does it have to be books published in 2007? Or read in 2007?

I've hardly read any contemporary books this year so far.

I'm pretty certain it was 'read this year'.

ETA: From last year:

At the very beginning of 2006, we voted on the very best & worst of books from the previous year. There were a lot of different categories, so we've cut it down a little this year, but there are still plenty to choose from, so here's how it works:

1. The categories will each have nominations threads set up and you can nominate books throughout December (this it to allow people to nominate the books they read throughout this month too).

2. The voting will take place through the first 2 weeks in January.

3. Nominations for the best book overall will be taken from the winners of the "Best of" categories & will be voted on through the third week of January, after which time the over-all winner will be announced.

4. All nominations should be of books you have read during 2006.

However this is subject to change for 2007 but I would think that it would still be books read. :D

Yup - it was for books read, although there was a category for newly published books too.

Anyway, back to this year's favourites so far - I'm currently very much enjoying Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - not quite as much as Pride and Prejudice or Northanger Abbey, but still, very much!

My favourite book so far this year is "The Sleeper in the Sands" by Tom Holland. It's very intriguingly written, with a very Sheherazadian telling of events in ancient times taking up a vast portion of it.

I also really liked a couple of Techno-Thriller style books I read that are quite lengthy. The first is "The Swarm" by Frank Schatzing, and "Decipher" by Stel Pavlou.

Last year, the stand-apart winner of "Favourite Book" had to go to "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.

• 2 weeks later...