What's Up in January?

Kylie

I didn't realize 3:10 to Yuma was a book!  Look forward to your comments. 

Congratulations!! Being debt free is something to strive for and will give you much peace of mind.

My wife likes the Coach purses but also likes Dooney & Burke.

Holy Moley!  Those are gorgeous!  Never heard of them before now.

I love winter, but I'm not sure I could handle that much snow.  I don't prefer a California winter (at least recent ones) when its about 65 and no rain.  Maybe like for a month sporadically and I'm in Napa so close to SF.  I love the rain, and once thought I'd love living in Seattle, but after visiting on a cross country trip, I quickly changed my mind.  That is an entirely different kind of rain.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief.  We had several nights of teens and 20'sF earlier in the week, but today.........Today was fabulous.  Sunshine, clear skies and 70F.  Yes. I'll take it.  :D

I suspect Athena that might be easier said than done. :smile: I do hope though that you feel better soon.

Some of you may recall that back in October I was offered a new job. It was only after I got my CRB that they informed me I would need to undertake what amounted to induction training prior to handing in my notice at my existing job - something that was clearly not possible. After several weeks of going backwards and forwards, trying to speak to various people on this (including my Union, who backed me up), the new company said that the training would be put back to January. I wasn't for obvious reasons happy with this. so I wrote to both the home itself and their Head Office expressing my concerns and asking them to come up with a solution. Neither of them responded.

When I switched my phone on today, there was a message from the Home from yesterday asking me if I could do the training on 3 separate days in January not one of which is suitable. I rang the home and predictably no one was there, so I have emailed them again telling them where to go, and of course asking for a read receipt. I am sorry it has come to this, but I cannot work for a company that continually mucks me about and does not have the courtesy to respond to my emails. It may not be perfect where I am, but I am not about to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.   

Criminey, June!  You've done the right thing in scuttling that boat.  You will find something much better, down the road.  I'm so sorry that has dragged out so long, and they've been so mean and horrible about everything.  But you are right, you've found out what they're made of, and you want no part of them.

Yikes June, that sounds incredibly stressful! I couldn't cope with that at all. I hope it starts to work out for you - I know the feeling with being ignored and running around like a headless chicken trying to get answers to things and it's really horrible.

What's up in January for me? Well aside from trying to find a new (and hopefully less stressful) job, and being back HERE! I'm trying to get myself back into a lot of my hobbies besides drawing (which I'm always doing a little bit of.) So, reading and learning, for the most part!

I'm also off to a good start with my attempts at positive thinking (which I really need to focus on to combat my anxiety) - I'm writing down at least one (sometimes more) positive thought/s a day on post-its, folding them up and putting them into a little basket (in lieu of a jar, which I do not have!). So far I've not missed any days, I've found something good in every day, even the anxiety-ridden ones. I had a horrendously depressing New Years Eve, a night I always hate and find difficult anyway - so the goal is next New Year's Eve I will open up all my positive thoughts from 2014!

At this precise moment in time my inner nerd is taking full advantage of the fact that Coursera has a DINOSAUR COURSE! I'm a dinosaur nerd, and while I've taught myself quite a bit about them just by reading things online, it's really fun to do a proper course on them. (For anyone who doesn't know, Coursera is an online open-acess platform which, in conjunction with universities around the world, hosts university-level courses for free, taught by lecturers and tutors from those universities in their areas of expertise.) I do it for fun, because I love learning for learning's sake, and have done ones in Psychology, Internet History/Security, and the History of Rock Music in America before - it's brilliant for people like me who need structure, deadlines and assignments - and the best part is it's all free. Unless you want to try and get credit/take exams equviliant to the ones running in the university hosting the course, in which case you pay a fee of no more than a few hundred dollars, but I think that's fair!

At the moment I'm practising my knowledge of dino skeletons by putting a virtual one together! I love learning :D

A great idea, Nollaig!  And, baskets are cute. :D 

Taking a course like that has to be loads of fun too.  Good Luck with it all! :)

Criminey, June!  You've done the right thing in scuttling that boat.  You will find something much better, down the road.  I'm so sorry that has dragged out so long, and they've been so mean and horrible about everything.  But you are right, you've found out what they're made of, and you want no part of them.

I think the whole thing is very suspicious. It is almost as if they want to do the training first so that they can make sure you are right for the job, and if they don't like you, turn round and say no thanks. Even though I could have done one of the three days they offered me this time around, I did not tell them that as I knew that if I did even one day of training they would say that I had worked for them, and they also have a rule that says if you work for them for less than six weeks you have to pay for your CRB and uniform. So, by not doing any training I can legitimately say that I have not worked for them at all and therefore do not owe them a bean.

Needless to say, I will be contacting the Union again tomorrow though to fill them in.

Edited by Talisman

Well I'm off to Cyprus in just under a month :D We have a friend who is based out there and we have finally managed to work a week out that we can go over and see him. I'm so excited I've never been before and very much looking forward to the break :D :D

Well I'm off to Cyprus in just under a month :D We have a friend who is based out there and we have finally managed to work a week out that we can go over and see him. I'm so excited I've never been before and very much looking forward to the break :D :D

x

I wish you lots of fun, Laura :)!

My brother is coming back in a few days after he's had a long vacation with his girlfriend in Chili (she was doing courses at the university there, she studies Spanish in the Netherlands). It should be good to see him again and talk with him.

EDIT: Though I'm also a bit stressed and nervous about it.

Edited by Athena

I have received read receipts for both of those email, but no further correspondence or acknowledgement - no "sorry it has turned out this way" etc, etc, which just about sums the whole thing up. After me bugging them for a few months they are probably as glad to see the back of me as I am them ! Copies of those emails have though been sent to the Union, just in case ....  

Finally took down my Christmas tree in the 20 mins I was waiting for some chips to cook.

I know, I know, it's the 13th of December. Every year it just works out that the tree stays up until the sight of it is more depressing than the idea of taking it down for another year - usually hits just before mid-January!

I had an email from the woman at the Head Office of the company I was going to go and work for today, acknowledging receipt of the one I sent to her. It seems that she has forwarded my emails on to the Operations Manager, who will be in touch with the home concerned to investigate their procedures with regard to mandatory training. It is obviously too late for me, and I still think that I made the right choice, but this will give the Home Manager a major headache. If she thinks I have already caused her problems, then the s*** it about the hit the fan even more. If this means that things there change and it stops this from happening to even one more person, then I will be really proud of myself, and will consider that all that time and aggravation was not such a waste after all.

Talisman, that just sounds like a whole lot of messing you about! Best avoided, I think, and I hope you find a more suitable job soon. :smile:

The good news for me is that today I found out I passed my exams. :boogie: The bad news is that......it means I have to start studying for my next exams! :thud:

I've just seen a freakin' Easter advert . . .

One of the supermarkets here had Hot Cross Buns on sale on 26 December!!

Talisman, I think you've done the right thing.  It sounds like it wouldn't have been a good place to work at, and if your actions help someone else in future, that's good too.

Just finished a sorta "owners manual" for guinea pigs,  I got the brother of the two I got yesterday.  I know, I know.  But he was all alone and I just couldn't leave him there and lonely.  So now we have Sheldon, Leonard and Raj because my mom hates Howard.  I wanted Finnick, Gale and Effie (even though Effie was a girl).

The good news for me is that today I found out I passed my exams. :boogie: The bad news is that......it means I have to start studying for my next exams! :thud:

x

Congrats on passing your exams!!

@ Anna Begins

One guinea pig on its own would be very lonely, so I'm glad there's three of them :).

It feels like I haven't been on here for ages, in reality I think it has been about 10 days :D

I've been up to my neck in coursework to do with engineering standards and patents. I've been battling to get ahead as I'm off to Berlin (again) on Friday for 4 days and I want to come back with just the final assignment part to do. It looks as though I will have a boat load of writing to do but if everything works out like it should then I'll have given myself 17 days to complete it which should be more than enough. I got the final 2 books for this module on Monday and they look as though I should be able to breeze through them without too many issues. There isn't much in them that I haven't got some experience in and the electrical stuff is fairly fresh in my mind as I've been helping one of my apprentices at work do the same thing recently.

I still haven't managed to finish a book yet this year due to how busy I have been which is a little annoying but I knew this would happen.

Well done bobbs and good luck for the next exams :flowers2:  Good luck too Brian with your assignment etc .. very frustrating not to have time to read but it's all in a good cause .. and the books will wait :)

Hot Cross buns for sale? ... honestly! :roll2: (having said that .. I'm pretty sure I've seen them all year.) I hate how they try and fast forward our lives .. I want to live in the moment. 'Fat Face' have bikinis everywhere .. bikinis!! :o I know some people go away for some winter sun but surely not enough to warrant such a large display in the middle of a freezing cold January :mad: I won't be able to get a bikini in July .. oh no .. it'll be a winter coat or nothing missy :banghead:   :D 

Good luck with your study stuff, Brian. I hope you get more time to read later on.

I don't know Hot Cross Buns but I haven't seen any easter things for sale yet. Usually that takes a bit longer here I think, after Valentine's Day maybe?

My brother is coming back from Chile tomorrow and we're celebrating my mum's birthday this weekend so it'll be a bit of a busy weekend I think. I hope to spend some time in my room and read.

Hah, down here it's all Mardi Gras adverts and items for sale.  The King Cakes are out, beads, costumes and all the paraphernalia attached.   Gosh, I'm sick of it already.  Mardi Gras isn't till March 4th!  :roll:

Oh, and of course, the hearts are out, all over the place.  /sigh/

I am so over winter already.  If it's not freezing cold (Polar Vortex anyone?? )  it's snowing, or freezing rain, or even fog freezing up and causing icy roads! Our pipes even froze. I NEED WARMTH!!!!!

:banghead:  :angry:  :motz:

Ok, rant over.  I just needed to whine.  I could use a nap now.  Or maybe a cookie.