Books You're Looking Forward to in 2014

Kylie

What books are you looking forward to being published in 2014?

The Guardian has published a lengthy but interesting article listing various book events by month. There should be more articles coming out on other websites soon. Time to start adding to the (never-ending) wish list!

I'm particularly looking forward to Ransom Riggs' Hollow City, which is the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's coming out in just a couple of weeks. :)

That's an interesting article, thanks Kylie. The following look interesting:

The Amber Fury by Natalie Haynes (Corvus). The first novel from the broadcaster and classicist uses Greek tragedy to underpin a psychological mystery about grief and troubled teens.

Frog Music by Emma Donoghue (Picador). The followup to the bestselling Room is a novel of intrigue and murder.

Leaving the Sea by Ben Marcus (Granta). A new short-story collection set in a distorted world where disease strikes at random and people disappear without trace. From the author of the dazzlingly original Flame Alphabet and The Age of Wire and String.

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey (Viking). Memory – or the lack of it – continues to be a big theme in fiction. The manuscript of this debut mystery narrated by an 81-year‑old who can't quite remember what she's investigating created a buzz at the London book fair in 2013.

I've read through the article I linked to above, and here are the books I'll be adding to my wish list (info copied from The Guardian's website). Lots of exciting books!

Little Failure: A Memoir by Gary Shteyngart

The novelist's story, from Soviet childhood to neurotic New York adulthood.

The News: A User's Manual by Alain de Botton

More life lessons, this time on the subject of the news and what it does to our minds.

The Haunted Life by Jack Kerouac

This novella about the coming of age of a college track star, written when Kerouac was 22, comes into print 70 years after the handwritten manuscript was lost in a New York taxi.

Think Like a Freak by Steven D Levitt and Stephen J Dubner

More thoughts on how to make better decisions from the authors of Freakonomics.

Portrait of a Man by Georges Perec

The first novel by the author of Life: A User's Manual, buried in a drawer in the 1950s and recently discovered by his biographer, features a forger – and a killer.

The Listener by Tove Jansson

To mark Moomins creator Tove Jansson's centenary year, her first collection of stories, The Listener, is republished for the first time.

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

The first novel in four years from the Cloud Atlas author is the 'rich and strange' story of one woman's life, from the 1980s to ecological disaster in the mid 21st century.

The Mark and the Void by Paul Murray

Bittersweet Dublin schooldays comedy Skippy Dies was one of the highlights of 2010. Here's Murray's followup, set in and around a Dublin investment bank.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

Murakami's latest, already a smash hit in Japan, will arrive. The story of an isolated thirtysomething struggling with traumatic memories of high school, it is Murakami in realistic and sombre mood, according to transaltor Philip Gabriel.

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

An autumn release is also promised for Waters's follow-up to The Little Stranger. In 1922 London, a genteel widow, bereaved by war, takes in lodgers of the 'clerk class' – and finds her house and family shaken to the core.

The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

His first full-length novel since 2002's Victorian epic The Crimson Petal and the White begins with a missionary's perilous journey.

That's an interesting article, thanks Kylie. The following look interesting:

The Amber Fury by Natalie Haynes (Corvus). The first novel from the broadcaster and classicist uses Greek tragedy to underpin a psychological mystery about grief and troubled teens.

Frog Music by Emma Donoghue (Picador). The followup to the bestselling Room is a novel of intrigue and murder.

Leaving the Sea by Ben Marcus (Granta). A new short-story collection set in a distorted world where disease strikes at random and people disappear without trace. From the author of the dazzlingly original Flame Alphabet and The Age of Wire and String.

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey (Viking). Memory – or the lack of it – continues to be a big theme in fiction. The manuscript of this debut mystery narrated by an 81-year‑old who can't quite remember what she's investigating created a buzz at the London book fair in 2013.

I agree that the Natalie Haynes and Emma Donoghue books also look interesting. I wasn't quite as impressed as some people were with Room (although I did think it was excellent). I think I'll wait for the reviews for these two.

I managed to completely miss the Ben Marcus book. It sounds intriguing!

All the books on my TBR list :smile:

but mostly Doomed, the sequal to Chuck Palahniuk's Damned.  I'm going to re read Damned first before Doomed.

Also looking forward to (recommended from here) Roald Dahl.

And The Poisonwood Bible.

OH!  And Alison Weir's book Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen just came out not too long ago, so that's on the list too. 

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm looking forward to reading 'Frog Music by Emma Donoghue' . I have read 'Room' and thought it was an extraordinary novel, so I will be interested in reading some more of Emma Donoghue's work. Also, as I'm a big fan of Stephen King, I'm looking forward to reading 'Mr Mercedes'.

What books are you looking forward to being published in 2014?

The Guardian has published a lengthy but interesting article listing various book events by month. There should be more articles coming out on other websites soon. Time to start adding to the (never-ending) wish list!

I'm particularly looking forward to Ransom Riggs' Hollow City, which is the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's coming out in just a couple of weeks. :)

Good article. 

I have Hollow City preordered from Amazon, I loved Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  I'm afraid I'll have to reread before I read the sequel though! :)

I've seen Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas on the shelf, but am undecided.....and tempted.   There are a couple of Val McDermid that look interesting.   I didn't know David Mitchell had a new book coming out!  Yays!

I also didn't know there was a film version of Gone Girl coming out.....more Yays!

Thanks for posting the article! :D

I'm looking forward to The Hollow City also!  I just finished Miss Peregrine last week and loved it.

I'm also anxiously awaiting The Infinite Sea, the next book after The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey.

Both Bellman and Black (Diane Setterfield) and The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt) came out in 2013 but I'm reading them this year and am extremely excited.  I just started The Goldfinch last night :D.

Frog Music by Emma Donoghue. I liked Room, so I'll be interested to see what she brings out next.

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. I'll always give his books a go.

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris. Not only does the premise sound interesting, but I enjoyed his previous book: Then We Came to the End. It's one that the Amazon reviews have always puzzled me. It's received more 1 star reviews than 5 star ones with some people being absolutely scathing of it, yet I really enjoyed it. :dunno:

The Message by Naomi Klein. I found No Logo to be very insightful so I look forward to this one on Climate Change.

Forensics by Val McDermid. I haven't heard of her before but a (non-fiction) book on forensics can only be interesting!

Frog Music by Emma Donoghue sounds interesting.

I'm also looking forward to Long Man by Amy Greene.  Her debut, Bloodroot, blew me away, so I can't wait to read it.

I definitely want to read Panic by Lauren Oliver. She's one of my favorite YA authors.

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd is getting a lot of buzz.  I've only read The Mermaid Chair by her and it was really disappointing, but this story sounds too good to pass up.

Frog Music by Emma Donoghue sounds interesting.

I'm also looking forward to Long Man by Amy Greene.  Her debut, Bloodroot, blew me away, so I can't wait to read it.

I definitely want to read Panic by Lauren Oliver. She's one of my favorite YA authors.

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd is getting a lot of buzz.  I've only read The Mermaid Chair by her and it was really disappointing, but this story sounds too good to pass up.

Long time no see NB! I'm reading The Invention of Wings now and very much enjoying it. I've not read The Mermaid Chair but I did like The Secret Life of Bees, both stories about the poor treatment of black people in the US. 

The Amy Greene books look interesting, I've added them to my wish list - you always did find interesting books. :)

Long time no see NB! I'm reading The Invention of Wings now and very much enjoying it. I've not read The Mermaid Chair but I did like The Secret Life of Bees, both stories about the poor treatment of black people in the US. 

The Amy Greene books look interesting, I've added them to my wish list - you always did find interesting books. :)

It's great to be back!

I will definitely put The Invention of Wings on my wishlist then.

By the way, I went to a writing workshop that Amy Greene taught two springs ago. I felt like I was meeting a famous celebrity, but she was super nice and so talented.

It's great to be back!

I will definitely put The Invention of Wings on my wishlist then.

By the way, I went to a writing workshop that Amy Greene taught two springs ago. I felt like I was meeting a famous celebrity, but she was super nice and so talented.

Sounds fantastic. I suppose she thinks she is a normal person but us readers know different! Are you planning on writing something? Will be lovely to have you back, you've recommended some of the more unusual books I have enjoyed. :)

Brilliant article in The Guardian .. thanks for linking to it Kylie  :smile: (goodness .. a ballet version of Lord of the Flies .. the mind boggles  :D)

Definitely looking forward to Ransom Riggs' Hollow City .. loved MPHFPC and also Paul Murray's The Mark and the Void (Skippy Dies was just brilliant.)

The Moomins are a 100!  :o  I must read them this year  :blush2: 

Portrait of a Man by Georges Perec

The first novel by the author of Life: A User's Manual, buried in a drawer in the 1950s and recently discovered by his biographer, features a forger – and a killer.

Georges certainly seemed to be a frantic writer, he wrote everything he possibly could. I've read A Void so far, and that was good, so I'll keep any eye that one.

Sounds fantastic. I suppose she thinks she is a normal person but us readers know different! Are you planning on writing something? Will be lovely to have you back, you've recommended some of the more unusual books I have enjoyed. :)

I dabble in writing. I entered in a short story contest the BCF held a couple of years ago.

I love finding unusual, special reads.  I have a few books up my sleeve this year that I hope meet my expectations.

For the first year in quite a while, I'm not really looking forward at all in terms of books.  I really want to concentrate on the books I already have or on the reading lists I've set up for myself.  There is nothing much on that list in the Guardian that caught my eye, but I can see that Ali Smith has a new book out so that is almost guaranteed to change my mind! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm excited about a book I just found out that is coming out at the end of February. It's a new Philip Marlowe mystery by John Banville (writing as Benjamin Black) called The Black Eyed Blonde (the editor in me wants to scream at the publishers that 'black-eyed' should be hyphenated! :banghead: ). I love both Chandler and Banville, and I think Banville will probably do an excellent job with Chandler's creation. :)

I'm excited about a book I just found out that is coming out at the end of February. It's a new Philip Marlowe mystery by John Banville (writing as Benjamin Black) called The Black Eyed Blonde (the editor in me wants to scream at the publishers that 'black-eyed' should be hyphenated! :banghead: ). I love both Chandler and Banville, and I think Banville will probably do an excellent job with Chandler's creation. :)

Whoopie!!!!!  Thanks Kylie, I've just pre-ordered it! :blush2:  :giggle2:

• 5 months later...

The rest of the Four series by Veronica Roth come out tomorrow! (Four: The Initiate, Four: The Son and Four: The Traitor).  Four: The Transfer has already been released.