Michelle's Reading in 2014

Michelle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit behind here, let's see...

After Ex-Heroes, I certainly did race through all the books, I love his style and the characters he's developed. My audio version of 14 was also brill after it's slow start.. Peter Clines is now on my must-buy list. :)

I've also read some great YA reads - Cruel Summer and Say Her Name by James Dawson, and A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke. Both authors are highly recommended.. Cat brings some great twists into her stories, and James doesn't hold back, including murder and horror! Oh.. We Were Liars was great too.. I wasn't so keen on the 1st part, as I found the characters hard to connect with, but the second part is brilliant, and so well done.

On audio, I've almost finished 2001 by Arthur C Clarke - I've seen the film, and read the book a looong time ago, and am now enjoying the audio. There are certain SF books which just work for me, but I can't quite pin down what it is. 

When it comes down to paper books, my mojo has run! :( I've had a few review copies, and maybe they're bringing the pressure back? I love getting them, but maybe I should stick to not doing them? Even then, none of my non-review books are shouting at me either! Come back mojo!

• 4 weeks later...

I did a few brilliant bookish things over the last two weeks. First I went up to a book launch, for The Book if Life by Deborah Harkness, and then I attended the first ever YALC (Young Adult Literature Convention). The latter was a brilliant experience, which I'm still buzzing from! (The links are for my blog entries.)

Both those things sound very nice, I'm glad you had fun :). I have the first two books of the All Souls trilogy on my shelf, I plan to read them once I have all three books. My brother and his girlfriend really liked the first two books.

• 3 weeks later...

Catch-up time! The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop was sent to me, and I decided to take a look at the beginning to see what I thought. It was a fairly slow story, but it completely hooked me. It's set in Cyprus in the early 1970s, and Victoria has based it around Varosha, Famagusta, an area which remains deserted since 1974. I was impressed by the way she writes her characters, and the gentle way in which they become real, and I would read more of her books in the future.

I then picked up The Bone Dragon - review here.

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter was an audio listen, which I've been thinking about for ages. It wasn't an outstanding read, but certainly an interesting one, and I will eventually try the next one. To be honest, there's not as much humour as you'd expect with Pratchett involved, but there was a certain warmth.

Terra by Mitch Benn was my next audio, which I really enjoyed, and had me giggling. I *suppose* it's meant to be a children's story, but according to twitter, many adults are loving it too. Terra is a human child brought up on an alien world, and there are some wonderful characters in it. The audio version brings an extra layer, and Mitch narrates it himself, and he's brilliant. I'm now half way through Terra's World, the follow up.

Two holiday reads on my kindle.. the first was Earth Girl by Janet Edwards. Whilst this fits well into YA, and I had a few criticisms, it's a well paced book which kept me reading. I have the 2nd book downloaded now. The second was The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's a short, fairly simple story, published in the early 1990s. There are a couple of moments which really shock, and it will certainly remain with me. I want to read the other 3 in the quartet, and I would love this version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say, Terra and Terra's World have really stayed with me, and I hope he hurries up and writes more. They are so full of warmth, and the audio version certainly made me giggle. http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/07/mitch-benn-on-terra/

Has anyone been watching The 100? I've seen it talked about on twitter, so I arranged to have the book sent out for review, along with the sequel. I can only assume it's nothing like the series, as the tweets talk of violence and deaths, and the book concentrates more on teen romance! I'm still keen to get onto the sequel though, due to events at the end of book one.

I've been getting back to reviewing a little, as some are too good to resist! I have Smiler's Fair and The Copper Promise waiting for me, even though they are already published, plus an early copy of Extinction Game by Gary Gibson.. does anyone like his books?

Catch-up time! The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop was sent to me, and I decided to take a look at the beginning to see what I thought. It was a fairly slow story, but it completely hooked me. It's set in Cyprus in the early 1970s, and Victoria has based it around Varosha, Famagusta, an area which remains deserted since 1974. I was impressed by the way she writes her characters, and the gentle way in which they become real, and I would read more of her books in the future.

My Mum likes her books but they haven't really appealed to me.  However I've seen Famagusta from a distance and I'm absolutely fascinated by the place (a long time ago I found a website online where people have sneaked in to take photos).  We were on a boat trip at the time, but as soon as we got to a certain point the Turkish coastguard, complete with guns, started sailing towards us and ordered us to turn round, which we did, sharpish! 

I will go and read up about the book.  :)

I made myself sit and do some reading yesterday and today, as I had a busy few days prior, and I'm expecting an hellish week at work from tomorrow. Anyway.. I've just finished Extinction Game by Gary Gibson, and really liked it. It wasn't very heavy on the SF aspect, and was very readable. I'll certainly be checking out more of his books. :)

Former life?? 

Well, I've been trying to keep this quiet, but I guess I've been here long enough now to tell . . .

*Big breath*

In a former life I was Cleopatra.

I'll never get any peace now.

(or I used to post on the same forum as Jen, until it closed a few years back).

Has anyone been watching The 100? I've seen it talked about on twitter, so I arranged to have the book sent out for review, along with the sequel. I can only assume it's nothing like the series, as the tweets talk of violence and deaths, and the book concentrates more on teen romance! I'm still keen to get onto the sequel though, due to events at the end of book one.

The show starts here this thursday - yeah as far as tv goes we get shafted on releases here in Australia. We had to fight for game of thrones to be aired here a lot earlier. Was quite funny, because the game of throne tv producers would cry piracy and wanted the government do so something about it, but would not do anything on their part to get it aired earlier. Foxtel and the people made it happen in the end, we now get it two hours after the US. The piracy levels dropped on game of thrones after that funnily enough. Who would of thought.

Anyway, sorry to digress. I saw the previews for The 100 on tv, thought it looked rather good and bought the book about two weeks ago. Now that I have seen you mention teen romance... I wont lie, its put me off a little! :giggle2:

ETA: as i type this a preview of the 100 just played on foxtel. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

It's quite a 'gentle' YA book Devi, an easy read, but not what I was expecting. :)

I will go in with mid expectations, it does look like it could be good though. I keep reading people referencing it as being similar to the hunger games? I haven't read those either, so I am not sure if thats true or not.

I made myself sit and do some reading yesterday and today, as I had a busy few days prior, and I'm expecting an hellish week at work from tomorrow. Anyway.. I've just finished Extinction Game by Gary Gibson, and really liked it. It wasn't very heavy on the SF aspect, and was very readable. I'll certainly be checking out more of his books. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it :). I have Angel Stations by him on my TBR.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been trying to keep this quiet, but I guess I've been here long enough now to tell . . .

*Big breath*

In a former life I was Cleopatra.

I'll never get any peace now.

That would explain a lot!  :giggle:

I've been getting back into reviewing, but I've stalled again.. nothing is really grabbing me. So I decided it was time to take a short break, and pick something I wanted to read. I downloaded the sample for Horns, for our October group read, and that seems rather interesting; plus I downloaded and started The Man Who Folded Himself, a book published the year I was born, about time travel. :)

I need a paper book to read in the bath though, and I'm not sure whether to get something new, pick one off my shelf, or carry on with my review book, even though I can't decide if I like it or not!