Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

just been to the library and loaned Simon Clark - Hotel Midnight, History of Medieval England & Connie Willis - Blackout, should keep me entertained for a while.

Edited by geordie9

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last finished 'A perfectly good man' by Patrick Gale

Starting 'The Bay at Midnight' by Diane Chamberlain (as I promised chaliepud I will pass it on ;))

................... and Replay by Ken Grimwood (Paperback).

In self defense, yeah?  :giggle:

I finished The Secret Life of Bees last night. Quite good. I'm still behind on reviews, so it may be a little while to get around to it. :blush2:

I read this a long time ago, and enjoyed it.

Oh!  Meant to post I've finished my first book of the year, The Accounting by William Lashner, very good, thanks muggle!

Second edit....(my brain, my brain!)  Have started The Secret History.  Love the first 12 pages. :D

Edited by pontalba

In self defense, yeah?  :giggle:

:blush2:  :giggle2: . There were no Ken Grimwood books in the whole of Shropshire libraries'  :o . So I found a reasonably prices paperback of Replay, and if I don't get on with the book, then I can donate it to the community via the library  :smile:

I finished The Secret Life of Bees last night. Quite good. I'm still behind on reviews, so it may be a little while to get around to it.

Look forward to reading your review Bobbly as this is on my TBR pile  :smile:

. There were no Ken Grimwood books in the whole of Shropshire libraries'  :o . So I found a reasonably prices paperback of Replay, and if I don't get on with the book, then I can donate it to the community via the library  . 

i think Ken Grimwood should donate some of his money to Steve as i don't think half of us would have come across this book if it wasn't for his review  :D Hope you enjoy it Marie.

At last finished 'A perfectly good man' by Patrick Gale

Did you enjoy it Diane, i have a couple of his on my shelves but i haven't read anything by him before  :smile:

Second edit....(my brain, my brain!)  Have started The Secret History.  Love the first 12 pages. :D

Good to hear your enjoying it Pontalba  :D

I'm halfway through The Orchard on Fire , not sure yet what i think of it, one aspect of the story is putting me off it  :negative:

Yesterday I finished the first book of this 2014, a psycologic-thriller by sebastian Fitzek (I read it in italian, so also the title is in italian, and I don't know what is its title in english, sorry!)

Now, I don't know what I should start!

I fell off the wagon.....and bought some Kindle books for £0.99 each.

The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton

The Ocean At The End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

One Summer: America 1927 - Bill Bryson

Absolute bargains, but I'd hoped to hold out a bit longer before acquiring more books. :lol:

I've finished Saplings from my Persephone reading list (and a lovely Christmas present from the lovely Kay :friends3: ), and have decided to have an indulgent weekend, and read Gemma Bovery, a graphic novel by Posy Simmonds.  I really enjoyed the first book of hers I read, Tamara Drewe, and was lucky enough to find Gemma Bovery in an indie book shop in Falmouth when we were on holiday last year.

Edited by chesilbeach

i think Ken Grimwood should donate some of his money to Steve as i don't think half of us would have come across this book if it wasn't for his review  :D

Yup, he should have a commission  :D

Went to the library this afternoon, and they had a book sale  :smile: . Paperback were 10 books for £1  :o  :D

I chose 

Shanghai Girls – Lisa See  :D
The Many Conditions of Love – Fahara Zama (Never read author before, but toyed the idea previous)
The Marriage Bureau of Rich People - Fahara Zama
The Bad Girl – Mario Vargas Llosa
Lean Mean Thirteen – Jane Evanovich  :smile: 
Leaving Mother Lake: A Childhood at the Edge of the World – Namu and Christine Mathieu
The Darkening Glass – Paul Doherty
Making Shore – Sally Allerton
The Light Behind the Window – Lucinda Riley
The Brave – Nicholas Evans
(The bold were ones that I grabbed at, the other were just to make the 10.)
Edited by Marie H

(The bold were ones that I grabbed at, the other were just to make the 10.)

:DMy TBR is made up of several library acquisitions bought 10 for a £1 .. it's too good a deal to turn down  :blush2: 

Hope you enjoy reading them Marie  :smile: 

Started Sisters By a River by Barbara Comyns  ... going well so far though the spelling is atrocious (haha .. I had to look atrocious up  :blush2:) I'm not sure if it's supposed to be or whether the writer just couldn't spell for toffee (actually she probably couldn't spell 'for toffee' .. it seems to be all the simple words she gets wrong and then she's fine with words like 'alabaster' .. maybe she Googled more complicated words .. or did the 1947 equivalent of Googling anyway  :D)

That's a bargain, Marie! :boogie:

Of those, I've only read The Brave, which I enjoyed (but then again, I haven't read a Nicholas Evans novel that I didn't like).

I picked that one because it referred to The Horse Whisperer, though I've only seen the film. I just couldn't resist the offer of 10 for £1 :giggle2:

:DMy TBR is made up of several library acquisitions bought 10 for a £1 .. it's too good a deal to turn down  :blush2: 

Hope you enjoy reading them Marie  :smile: 

My rational brain was going "Look, just go with the nice 5 that you really want, but don't mad with 10 books", and my irrational brain was going "What?!!Why have 5 when you can have 10 for the same price etc etc. Oh dear me, this is not the way I wanted book purchases in 2014 to go  :blush2:  :giggle2:

I've just finished Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds.  This is the second of her graphic novels I've read, and the second one I've really enjoyed!  Day five of the new year, and still no new book purchases, so off to choose something of my TBR pile to read next. :)

Reading Dickens by Charles Dickens. Don't know who actually put it together as that is not stated anywhere. Actually i just found David Sutherland 2012 tucked shamefacedly away in inside jacket. It is full of grammatical and spelling errors and has a quite grossly annoying vibe of arrogance and flippant posturing. Quite a decent biography but do not buy it go to the library instead.

:blush2:  :giggle2: . There were no Ken Grimwood books in the whole of Shropshire libraries'  :o . So I found a reasonably prices paperback of Replay, and if I don't get on with the book, then I can donate it to the community via the library  :smile:

I like your thinking. :D

Yesterday I finished the first book of this 2014, a psycologic-thriller by sebastian Fitzek (I read it in italian, so also the title is in italian, and I don't know what is its title in english, sorry!)

Now, I don't know what I should start!

A couple of years ago I read his book, Therapy.  Really liked it! Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Sebastian-Fitzek/dp/0312382006/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388968343&sr=1-3&keywords=sebastian+Fitzek  I wondered if it was the same?

I finished Orchard On Fire Shena Mackay last night, my first complete book of 2014 which i shall review on my thread soon. This morning i've read the first couple of pages of The Harpole Report  J.L. Carr.