Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

Happy New Year, everyone! (If you're still in 2013, hurry up and join the rest of us! 2013 is sooo last year! :P)

Today marks a fresh start to our reading year. Any disappointments of 2013 are in the past, and a whole new world of possibility lays before us. May we all have a wonderful reading year, full of few dud reads (preferably none) and many wonderful reads. :D May we all reach whatever goals we have set for ourselves!

What book activity is kicking off your new year?

I have started reading The Secret History as my first read of 2014. Today I will also try to finish up my 2013 reading list and start putting together my 2014 reading list. I am full of optimism for the 2014 reading year! :)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I managed to finish off two more in the old year. 

The Hangman;s Daughter and a novella Exit: Vertigo a Wayward Pines novella.

Reviews in the old 2013 thread. 

Happy Reading, All!! :readingtwo:  :alc:

Just saw muggle not's post over on the old thread...regarding  The Accounting – William Lashner.

Sounds great muggle!!   Just downloaded it to my kindle.  Also, his Veritas for only 99 cents. :D

I have finished my first book for the year! OK, it barely counts because it was Ransom Riggs' Talking Pictures, which is just a collection of old photos, :blush2: but it still counts as a book read off my TBR pile! I've pre-ordered Hollow City (the second Miss Peregrine book), so I'm now ready for its arrival (although Talking Pictures isn't actually related to MP).

Happy Reading 2014, everyone!!! :reading:

I'm reading a collection of short stories written by irish female writers, it's called Irish Girls about Town, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Kylie, I really loved Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine.. and when I saw he published Talking Pictures, I added it to my wishlist.. but sadly, it seems it won't be published in Italy :( .

I've just finished De Profundis by Oscar Wilde. Loved his use of words, it was a touching letter. I want to read The Importance of Being Earnest, but I'm not too sure since it's a play.

Kylie, I really loved Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine.. and when I saw he published Talking Pictures, I added it to my wishlist.. but sadly, it seems it won't be published in Italy :( .

Oh, that's a shame. :( Could you order it from overseas or online (like the Book Depository)? If you are worried about the translation, there is really not much writing. Riggs writes a very small introduction and afterword, and then there are a few words or a few sentences for each photo (Riggs only collects photos where people have written comments on the them).

I finished reading Ann M. Martin, Raina Telgemeier - The Babysitter's Club Graphix 1: Kristy's Great Idea (which I started 10 days ago) and Nick Spalding - Love... 3: Love Under Different Skies (which I started yesterday). I haven't yet started a new book.

I've worked out how many books I read last year and it was 60 which is a lot less than the year before which was 96. So this years goal will be to read more than 60 books.

I'm currently reading The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory. Half way through and I don't think it's the best in the series so far.

I finished my first book of the year yesterday The Secret History  Donna Tartt, it was hard to choose a book to follow it but i've made a start on The Orchard on Fire  Shena Mackay.

Finished up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson (excellent!) and now starting A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka.

hope you enjoy marina's book. Though it has humour i found it disappointing. A friend lent me it and was in raptures about it. As a result he has refused to read the incomparably better brick lane by Monica Ali.

I'm about a third of the way through Saplings now, and enjoying it immensely.  Slightly tickled that there are two brothers called Albert and Ernest, although slight gutted that the author only shortens Ernest's name.  Would have loved them to be Bert and Ernie as the book was written long before the start of Sesame Street. :giggle2:

Collected today from The Hive: A Short History of England by Simon Jenkins (Hardback, reduced from £25 to £5   :smile:), and Replay by Ken Grimwood (Paperback). Plodding through Who Fears Death?,  and 300 pages to go *sigh*