Frankie reads 2014

frankie

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops! :D Do you think you'll go back to where you left it, or start it all over again? I should google and see how many pages all the different books have... Surely they can't be very long. I remember my English copy has the first two books together. I think. But I'm such a beginner, I don't remember if there are seven books altogether, or if there are seven books that each contain two different books. I'm going to google and make a note of it. Maybe I should create a post for this Proustian task on the first page...

My advice is, as poppyshakes said also, for you to read Swann’s Way first, and see if you like his style and subject matter. Plus as these are chronological i.e. SW begins in Proust’s early childhood. It is a very meandering tale of his young life, and it is something that most people either love or loathe!

In Search of Lost Time (À la recherche du temps perdu published in seven volumes, previously translated as Remembrance of Things Past) (1913 - 1927)

1. Swann's Way (Du côté de chez Swann, sometimes translated as The Way by Swann's) (1913)
  2. In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, also translated as Within a Budding Grove) (1919)
  3. The Guermantes Way (Le Côté de Guermantes originally published in two volumes) (1920/1921)
  4. Sodom and Gomorrah (Sodome et Gomorrhe originally published in two volumes, sometimes translated as Cities of the Plain) (1921/1922)
  5. The Prisoner (La Prisonnière, also translated as The Captive) (1923)
  6. The Fugitive (Albertine disparue, also titled La Fugitive, sometimes translated as The Sweat Cheat Gone or Albertine Gone) (1925)
  7. Time Regained (Le Temps retrouvé, also translated as Finding Time Again and The Past Recaptured) (1927)

So there are seven books. No wonder I've been confused, though, because of all the different English titles! I hate it when books have multiple titles in one language... :rolleyes: It only ends up confusing people! :banghead:

Crikey, it is very complicated trying to follow which volume of Proust’s Remembrance of Things Past / À la recherché du temps perdu in sequence – it’s bad enough for me to find which title in French /English! 

Oops! :D Do you think you'll go back to where you left it, or start it all over again?

I have to go back a few pages and re-read each time I go on a Proust reading. Hope you find a good Swann's Way edition, and enjoy it too :smile: . 

My advice is, as poppyshakes said also, for you to read Swann’s Way first, and see if you like his style and subject matter. Plus as these are chronological i.e. SW begins in Proust’s early childhood. It is a very meandering tale of his young life, and it is something that most people either love or loathe!

I guess I forgot to mention earlier that I've read the first few pages of my English Swann's Way copy and found them very enjoyable, so I do think I shall like the books :)

I also have a rather recently discovered thing for French literature (mostly contemporary, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it'll extend to classics as well), and I've been into autobiographical and biographical books (and fictionalized accounts) for a long time :)

I have to go back a few pages and re-read each time I go on a Proust reading. Hope you find a good Swann's Way edition, and enjoy it too :smile:[/size] .[/size] [/size]

I hope you will get on with Proust when you get back to him, too! :) Looking forward to your reviews on the books :D

I'm glad you do enjoy Marcel  :smile: .

Since you like French literature, I love some French classics, especially Emile Zola's L'Assomoir and Germinal. Very gritty stuff (poverty, alcoholism etc) but wonderfully done. 

I hope you will get on with Proust when you get back to him, too! :)Looking forward to your reviews on the books :D

They may took a long time!! if I ever read the whole book.... :blush2:

What 'white people' comments? I've now read the first ten comments and there's not one reference to white people?

They must be a bit further down. But there are quite a few of them.

I nearly bought the first volume of Proust recently (which was quite cheap), but when I checked out the prices of the matching editions for the other volumes, they were much more expensive! I don't want to buy one and then have to fork out heaps of money for the others. Maybe one day I'll find a matching set nice and cheap at a book fair. :) Usually I only find a volume here or there.

A few years ago I brought together all of the Proust books, and actually started, but didn't get very far.  They all came from Amazon Marketplace, and the first four are the Lydia Davis translations.  I don't think she has gotten any farther than that.  But I've read that they are superior to the Moncrieff.  Dunno how true that is. 

Lydia Davis only translated Swann's Way, pontalba, the publisher used a different translator for each volume of the modern translations. I read Moncrief for the first three volumes but I am switching to John Sturrock for Vol 4 Sodom and Gomorrah. I seem to need a few months in between volumes, they can be exhausting, but I'm beginning to feel stirrings to resume.

Edited by ethan

I'm glad you do enjoy Marcel  :smile: .

Since you like French literature, I love some French classics, especially Emile Zola's L'Assomoir and Germinal. Very gritty stuff (poverty, alcoholism etc) but wonderfully done. 

Thanks for the suggestions! :) For some reason I've always found Emile Zola a bit intimidating.. I think some teacher/professor or another made some less favorable comments. I really wish they didn't, because some professor at uni was very discouraging when talking about Proust, too, and I always used to think I could never read Proust... :rolleyes: These are the people who are supposed to make us curious about life and everything!

They may took a long time!! if I ever read the whole book.... :blush2:

:D Don't worry, you'll get to it when you do :)

They must be a bit further down. But there are quite a few of them.

I scrolled down and saw them. I don't know, I'm not an 'imgurian', I'm not privy to their inside jokes and ways :shrug:

I nearly bought the first volume of Proust recently (which was quite cheap), but when I checked out the prices of the matching editions for the other volumes, they were much more expensive! I don't want to buy one and then have to fork out heaps of money for the others. Maybe one day I'll find a matching set nice and cheap at a book fair. :) Usually I only find a volume here or there.

I bet you could get the copies on your iPad and read them on it, too?

Thanks for the suggestions! :) For some reason I've always found Emile Zola a bit intimidating.. I think some teacher/professor or another made some less favorable comments. I really wish they didn't, because some professor at uni was very discouraging when talking about Proust, too, and I always used to think I could never read Proust... :rolleyes: These are the people who are supposed to make us curious about life and everything!

Same type happened with me, when I was taking my A Level English Lit., so I am a bit hostile about Charles Dickens novels and W H Auden's poetry  :rant: . Huh, tutors can be so dismissive to authors, and affect their pupils ideas too.... 

Edited by Marie H

Lydia Davis only translated Swann's Way, pontalba, the publisher used a different translator for each volume of the modern translations. I read Moncrief for the first three volumes but I am switching to John Sturrock for Vol 4 Sodom and Gomorrah. I seem to need a few months in between volumes, they can be exhausting, but I'm beginning to feel stirrings to resume.

:blush2:  Oy.  You are right, of course.  My mind is slipping. :D  I just had Davis on the brain.

I looked at the books on the shelf, and now I remember what I was "matching".  Not the translator, but the version.  For the first 4 I found the Penguin Deluxe Classics Edition.  Trade paperbacks, brown, blue, purple, and green. :D   My bookmark is still at page 105.  /sigh/  I've had them about 7 years.......

Edited by pontalba

Same type happened with me, when I was taking my A Level English Lit., so I am a bit hostile about Charles Dickens novels and W H Auden's poetry  :rant: . Huh, tutors can be so dismissive to authors, and affect their pupils ideas too....

It's rather unforgivable, isn't it? And unprofessional, I should say.

Do you think you will never read any Dickens, then? I hope you give the chap a chance :)

I've had them about 7 years.......

Maybe it's time you dust the books and give them another go! :)

Happy reading Frankie :)

Thanks Weave, and the very same to you! :friends3:

Diary of a Mad Housewife

by Sue Kaufman

From Amazon:

[...] Diary of a Mad Housewife is a classic of women’s fiction that gave a wry voice to the nascent feminist stirrings of the 1960s and helped incite a revolution in the consciousness of a generation.

When Bettina Balser begins to suspect that she is going mad, she starts a secret diary as a form of therapy and as an escape from the boredom and dissatisfaction she experiences as a 1960s housewife. Her fears pour onto the page: "Elevators, subways, bridges, tunnels, high places, low places, tightly enclosed spaces, boats, cars, planes, trains, crowds. . . ." Through her observations of herself and those around her, Bettina seeks to find meaning in her exceedingly dreary life. [...]

Diary of a Mad Housewife’s humor and insight is as alive and pertinent today as yesterday, and will charm and disarm men and women of any generation.

Thoughts: I found a copy of this book two weeks ago at the library's book exchange trolley and snatched it. I was sure it was on one or more of my lists, but when I came home and checked, there was no sign of the title! Having given it some more thought, I now believe I remember how I first 'discovered' this book. Years ago, I was at the local library, and this was before I'd joined the forum and had a wishlist, and a big TBR pile waiting at home. So I was browsing through books in the bookcases, pretty much freestyling :D The title caught my eye. I think I read the first page of the book and then made a note of that, to maybe borrow later.

And this reminds me, I did keep a manual wishlist years ago...! Maybe I wrote the title down on that list. I remember I disposed of the list at some point, but I can't remember why! I wish I'd kept it. It would be interesting to see what titles were on it...

So I guess the title had stuck on my mind and therefore I thought it was on my lists somewhere. I wasn't too upset that it wasn't, in the end, because I was intrigued by the title itself. My copy was a hardback that had lost its jacket, so it was only this red book with the title and the name of the author, no description of the content. And the Finnish title is 'Kotirouvan hupsu päiväkirja', which would be 'Housewife's Silly Diary' in English. Silly vs Mad? There's a huge difference! So you will not think me odd if I thought it was supposed to be a funny, ironic book, something like The Diary of a Nobody.

I don't remember how far I read before I realised it was not going to be what I'd expected. But at that point I was already feeling for the diary keeper and had to know what would happen. It was quite odd to have expected to read a funny novel and have a good giggle every few pages, and then to have to realise how unhappy the protagonist was. The book was published in 1967 so I believe it was somewhat groundbreaking at the time, although when I wikied the title, I could only find an article on the movie, and the author, and not the book :rolleyes:

I thought the book was well written, and credible. I think Bettina's story was (and in some places still is) the real story of some women. Personally I find it hard to fathom what it must have been like, but I think that makes it all the more important to read about it.

I really liked the book, and I give it 3/5.

It sounds interesting, though it's a shame it wasn't what you thought it was (stupid translated title.. I don't understand sometimes why translators change a title so drastically that it just doesn't mean the same anymore). I'm glad you enjoyed the book though, nice review :).

I bet you could get the copies on your iPad and read them on it, too?

:o I would never have expected to see those words come from you! Encouraging me to read ebooks?! Well I never!

(OK, OK, I confess that I already have the ebooks. :blush2: But I would still prefer to read hard copies!)

Diary of a Mad Housewife sounds interesting. Reading the synopsis made me think of Sylvia Plath for some reason—maybe because it's set around the same era and I've read her journals. The synopsis mentioned that it is supposed to be humorous, but it sounds quite serious in your review. Would you say there was even a bit of humour?

The Diary of a Housewife took me all sorts of places. The book itself made me want to read more books from the female perspective, from decades ago. But there was another thing.

The changes on Goodreads are usually something I complain about. Like the new reading challenge widget for 2014 (I liked the previous, 2013 version better), and a few other things, which I can't remember at the moment, though. But there's a new feature on Goodreads that I really like. It's the Recommendations feature, on the right, just under Currently Reading. It's a feature that shows you a few recommendations based on some particular shelf of yours, or based on the book you are currently reading, etc. Sometimes the recommendations can get repetitive, but sometimes you get some very interesting recommendations, and I always check them out, whenever I remember.

When I had TDoaH marked as Currently Reading, I got these as recommendations:

Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen by Alix Kates Shulman

from BD: Alix Kates Shulman's "Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen" created a profound impact on the cultural landscape when it was originally published in 1972. A sardonic portrayal of one white, middle-class, Midwestern girl's coming-of-age, the novel takes a wry and prescient look at a range of experiences treated at the time as taboo but which were ultimately accepted as matters of major political significance [...]. The book went on to sell more than a million copies and is regarded today as a classic, one of the first and best pieces of fiction born of the women's liberation movement. With many of its concerns still with us today, this witty and devastating novel continues to resonate with readers, and Sasha Davis has proved herself a prom queen for the ages.

And I love the cover:

101798203.jpg

Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York by Gail Parent

From Amazon: Sheila Levine is thirty, over-weight, over-sexed and unmarried...Sheila Levine is getting a divorce from life! Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York is the most achingly funny suicide note ever written by a marriage-mad manhunter trying, unsuccessfully, to straddle two worlds: the one she's been programmed for since birth - marriage first, life later - and the illusive swinging singles scene of "liberated" New York. You'll laugh at her. You'll cry for her. You'll recognize her at once... There's a little bit of Sheila Levine in every woman.

The Women's Room by Marilyn French

From BD: The bestselling feminist novel that awakened both women and men, The Women's Room follows the transformation of Mira Ward and her circle as the women's movement begins to have an impact on their lives. A biting social commentary on an emotional world gone silently haywire, The Women's Room is a modern classic that offers piercing insight into the social norms accepted so blindly and revered so completely. Marilyn French questions those accepted norms and poignantly portrays the hopeful believers looking for new truths.

Then I came upon another book by Alix Kates Shulman, called Drinking the Rain: A Memoir:

From Amazon: At fifty, Alix Kates Shulman left a city life dense with political activism, family, and literary community, and went to stay alone in a small cabin on an island off the Maine coast. Living without plumbing, electricity, or a telephone, she discovered in herself a new independence and a growing sense of oneness with the world that redefined her notions of waste, time, necessity, and pleasure. With wit, lyricism, and fearless honesty, Shulman describes a quest that speaks to us all: to build a new life of creativity and spirituality, self-reliance and self-fulfillment.

Then I don't remember what happened, but I was getting these different recommendations, and books led to other books, and it's all a bit of a haze now, but all in all, these all made their way to my wishlist:

Morvern Callar by Alan Warner

Amazon: Morvern Callar, a low-paid employee in the local supermarket in a desolate and beautiful port town in the west of Scotland, wakes one morning in late December to find her strange boyfriend has committed suicide and is dead on the kitchen floor. Morvern's reaction is both intriguing and immoral. What she does next is even more appalling. Moving across a blurred European landscape-from rural poverty and drunken mayhem of the port to the Mediterranean rave scene-we experience everything from Morvern's stark, unflinching perspective.

Morvern is utterly hypnotizing from her very first sentence to her last. She rarely goes anywhere without the Walkman left behind as a Christmas present by her dead boyfriend, and as she narrates this strange story, she takes care to tell the reader exactly what music she is listening to, giving the stunning effect of a sound track running behind her voice.

When I googled the book, I noticed that the talented Samantha Norton played the main role in the movie (some of you will remember her from Emma).

Agnes's Jacket: A Psychologist's Search for the Meanings of Madness by Gail Hornstein

Amazon: In a Victorian-era German asylum, seamstress Agnes Richter painstakingly stitched a mysterious autobiographical text into every inch of the jacket she created from her institutional uniform. Despite every attempt to silence them, hundreds of other patients have managed to get their stories out, at least in disguised form. Today, in a vibrant underground net-work of “psychiatric survivor groups” all over the world, patients work together to unravel the mysteries of madness and help one another re-cover. Optimistic, courageous, and surprising, Agnes’s Jacket takes us from a code-cracking bunker during World War II to the church basements and treatment centers where a whole new way of understanding the mind has begun to take form.

A vast gulf exists between the way medicine explains psychiatric illness and the experiences of those who suffer. Hornstein’s luminous work helps us bridge that gulf, guiding us through the inner lives of those diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar illness, depression, and paranoia and emerging with nothing less than a new model for understanding one another and ourselves.

Life Inside: A Memoir by Mindy Lewis

Amazon: The patient is an ascetically pretty 15½-year-old white female. She is intelligent, fearful, extremely anxious, and depressed. Her rage is poorly controlled and inappropriately expressed.
Diagnostic Impression: Program for social recovery in a supportive and structured environment appears favorable.

In 1967, three months before her sixteenth birthday, Mindy Lewis was sent to a state psychiatric hospital by court order. She had been skipping school, smoking pot, and listening to too much Dylan. Her mother, at a loss for what else to do, decided that Mindy remain in state custody until she turned eighteen and became a legal, law-abiding, "healthy" adult.

The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler

Amazon: Flannery Culp wants you to know the whole story of her spectacularly awful senior year. Tyrants, perverts, tragic crushes, gossip, cruel jokes, and the hallucinatory effects of absinthe -- Flannery and the seven other friends in the Basic Eight have suffered through it all. But now, on tabloid television, they're calling Flannery a murderer, which is a total lie. It's true that high school can be so stressful sometimes. And it's true that sometimes a girl just has to kill someone. But Flannery wants you to know that she's not a murderer at all -- she's a murderess.

How the Light Gets In by M. J. Hyland

Amazon: Lou Connor, a gifted but unhappy sixteen-year-old, is desperate to escape her life of poverty in Sydney, Australia. When she is offered a place as an exchange student at a college in Illinois, it seems as if her dreams are going to be fulfilled. Her host family, the Hardings, has a large and beautiful house in Illinois and couldn't be more welcoming. Everything is perfect. Until Lou starts having to live in the suffocating and repressed atmosphere of the Hardings' suburban mansion and things start to go terribly wrong. How the Light Gets In is an acutely observed tale of adolescence. But more than that, it is an intelligent and darkly humorous study of human aspiration, self-sabotage, and the dislocation and alienation felt by an outsider. In Lou Connor, M. J. Hyland has created a complex and unforgettable protagonist who mesmerizes the reader with her vivacity and vulnerability, from hopeful beginning to unexpected, haunting end.

I tell you, the Recommendations thingy is very, very dangerous! :D

:o I would never have expected to see those words come from you! Encouraging me to read ebooks?! Well I never!

(OK, OK, I confess that I already have the ebooks. :blush2: But I would still prefer to read hard copies!)

:D Haaa!

I'm only trying to help you save money and space! :blush:

Diary of a Mad Housewife sounds interesting. Reading the synopsis made me think of Sylvia Plath for some reason—maybe because it's set around the same era and I've read her journals. The synopsis mentioned that it is supposed to be humorous, but it sounds quite serious in your review. Would you say there was even a bit of humour?

Yes, there's bits of humour, so it's not 100% serious and depressing, but it's not the laugh riot I was expecting, either :)

. And the Finnish title is 'Kotirouvan hupsu päiväkirja', which would be 'Housewife's Silly Diary' in English. Silly vs Mad? There's a huge difference! So you will not think me odd if I thought it was supposed to be a funny, ironic book, something like The Diary of a Nobody.

Certain a case of "loss in translation", indeed. 

The Diary of a Housewife took me all sorts of places. The book itself made me want to read more books from the female perspective,

Good for you, Sister! :smile: *punch in air, in a feminist power type thing*  Those recommended things can be good or dangerous   :D  

Certain a case of "loss in translation", indeed.

Most definitely! :D

Good for you, Sister! :smile: *punch in air, in a feminist power type thing*  Those recommended things can be good or dangerous   :D

High five, Sister!  We are faaamilyyyy, get up everybody and sing!!  :23_sing: 

:D

I like the sound of Agnes's Jacket, Frankie, sounds like an interesting read & i've heard of The Women's Room but never read it  :smile:

If you ever get to reading Agnes's Jacket, let me know how it was! :)

Diary of a Mad Housewife

by Sue Kaufman

From Amazon:

[...] Diary of a Mad Housewife is a classic of women’s fiction that gave a wry voice to the nascent feminist stirrings of the 1960s and helped incite a revolution in the consciousness of a generation.

When Bettina Balser begins to suspect that she is going mad, she starts a secret diary as a form of therapy and as an escape from the boredom and dissatisfaction she experiences as a 1960s housewife. Her fears pour onto the page: "Elevators, subways, bridges, tunnels, high places, low places, tightly enclosed spaces, boats, cars, planes, trains, crowds. . . ." Through her observations of herself and those around her, Bettina seeks to find meaning in her exceedingly dreary life. [...]

Diary of a Mad Housewife’s humor and insight is as alive and pertinent today as yesterday, and will charm and disarm men and women of any generation.

Thoughts: I found a copy of this book two weeks ago at the library's book exchange trolley and snatched it. I was sure it was on one or more of my lists, but when I came home and checked, there was no sign of the title! Having given it some more thought, I now believe I remember how I first 'discovered' this book. Years ago, I was at the local library, and this was before I'd joined the forum and had a wishlist, and a big TBR pile waiting at home. So I was browsing through books in the bookcases, pretty much freestyling :D The title caught my eye. I think I read the first page of the book and then made a note of that, to maybe borrow later.

And this reminds me, I did keep a manual wishlist years ago...! Maybe I wrote the title down on that list. I remember I disposed of the list at some point, but I can't remember why! I wish I'd kept it. It would be interesting to see what titles were on it...

So I guess the title had stuck on my mind and therefore I thought it was on my lists somewhere. I wasn't too upset that it wasn't, in the end, because I was intrigued by the title itself. My copy was a hardback that had lost its jacket, so it was only this red book with the title and the name of the author, no description of the content. And the Finnish title is 'Kotirouvan hupsu päiväkirja', which would be 'Housewife's Silly Diary' in English. Silly vs Mad? There's a huge difference! So you will not think me odd if I thought it was supposed to be a funny, ironic book, something like The Diary of a Nobody.

I don't remember how far I read before I realised it was not going to be what I'd expected. But at that point I was already feeling for the diary keeper and had to know what would happen. It was quite odd to have expected to read a funny novel and have a good giggle every few pages, and then to have to realise how unhappy the protagonist was. The book was published in 1967 so I believe it was somewhat groundbreaking at the time, although when I wikied the title, I could only find an article on the movie, and the author, and not the book :rolleyes:

I thought the book was well written, and credible. I think Bettina's story was (and in some places still is) the real story of some women. Personally I find it hard to fathom what it must have been like, but I think that makes it all the more important to read about it.

I really liked the book, and I give it 3/5.

Great review, Sari.  Def going on the wish list. :)

:D Haaa!

Hey! You are so cheeky to make my font size really large when I was trying to be discreet! I never did that to you when you were trying to hide this:

My cunning plan has worked... Nobody's noticed my post about my recently acquired books! :giggle: I should always just mention them in between tons of other posts... ! Cunning.

:P  :giggle:

I've a feeling that the contents of Betina's diary might be just a little bit too close to those in my own  .. if I kept one that is :blush2: (well .. not the bits about being a bored housewife in the 60's .... just the rest of it I mean. Apart from cars and boats that list could have been written by me .. and there have been times when I'd definitely included them in my 'they're freaking me out' list too.) The title does give a wrong impression .. somehow I would expect it .. even with its English title .. to be funny.

Great review frankie :smile: 

• 2 weeks later...

Great review, Sari.  Def going on the wish list.

Thanks pontalba :) Hope you find a copy soon enough and enjoy it :)

Hey! You are so cheeky to make my font size really large when I was trying to be discreet! I never did that to you when you were trying to hide this:

Oooooh! Burn!! :blush:

:giggle::D

I've a feeling that the contents of Betina's diary might be just a little bit too close to those in my own  .. if I kept one that is (well .. not the bits about being a bored housewife in the 60's .... just the rest of it I mean. Apart from cars and boats that list could have been written by me .. and there have been times when I'd definitely included them in my 'they're freaking me out' list too.) The title does give a wrong impression .. somehow I would expect it .. even with its English title .. to be funny.

Great review frankie

I guess the English 'mad' can be a bit different from the American 'mad'? Maybe that's what confused the person who decided upon the title. Who knows.

Maybe the book is more funny than I made it out to be. I guess because I expected it to be a hoot, it felt a lot more serious than it might for some other reader. Maybe we need to wait for pontalba's review and re-think it after reading it :D

Poppyshake :empathy:  At least you have Alan who doesn't think you're crazy. Well, not in a crazy crazy way, at least :giggle: Oh and of course we don't think you're mad, either. No. :yes:

I wish we had an emoticon that shakes its head while smiling. If I want to be reassuring when saying no, I can't have a smiling 'yes' or a sad 'no' :D