Frankie reads 2014

frankie

Thanks everyone, and sorry that I made you see the pics in March :giggle:

I think the reason I don't enjoy them, is because I don't find them easy and I feel a bit self-conscious when I'm writing them. :blush2:   I just can't get my words to flow, and sometimes I can spend about a week trying to make a review sound informative. It's very daunting when they pile up, and I start to feel quite stressed about it (which is probably a bit silly ).

Do you know what you are suffering from? Writer's block!! :D:friends3:  (I also hate it when I know what I want to say, but I don't know how to get the message across :rolleyes: Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't. Luckily the smart people on here usually catch on to my meaning. Smart bunch!)

I don't think it's silly.  I'm brand-new to writing reviews, and with all the very experienced reviewers on here, I find it a bit intimidating. I worry that my reviews are too superficial, or that they reveal too much, or that they review too little, etcetera.  It really does take me quite some time to write one.  When I go back to read it, what I thought was quite thorough was actually just four or five sentences - barely a proper paragraph!  

I think I need to resign myself to the fact that my review is simply my opinion and if it's not to someone's liking that there are plenty of other reviews out there to be read.  (I don't mean that glibly, truly.)  However, someone just might find something I've said helpful or interesting or reason enough to read the book and find out for him or herself.  If nothing else, it's a great way for me to organize my thoughts on what I've just read and to hopefully become a more engaged, aware reader.  Maybe if I looked upon that as my primary objective, and anyone else coming along for the ride as icing on the cake, then I would find review-writing to be a much less stressful and more enjoyable undertaking.  Sorry to ramble...

I'm with Athena. My 'reviews' were really short when I started on here, and I didn't even talk about every book I'd read. I think most of us took a few years to get to the stage where they are comfortable with their reviews and have found their 'way'.

And it's not about the length of the review, really. You can say a lot with only a few words! I think the most important thing is to write the kind of reviews that is fun to do. This forum is for fun, it's not homework :D Although I tend to forget that very often myself... :giggle:

And I think it's also important that the reviewer writes the reviews also for his/her own benefit, and not just 'sell the book to others'. Although I'm not really sure if other people think the same... I'm not even sure what I mean, exactly... I know that my reviews always start with how I came about reading this particular book, and I know that's really not anything to do with an actual review, and I don't think it's something others on here necessarily find interesting, but I still do it because I like remembering where I got my books from and who recommended which book to me and how all books are linked in some way :)

And for you, dtrpath27, it's your way to organize your thoughts. :)

I guess I'm trying to say there are no wrong or right way to write reviews, and none of us is a professional, so we can do as we please :giggle:

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...it's not homework."  I love that!  I'm someone who tends to take things too seriously, so that's a good reminder for me.  

I agree, Athena, I think it will get better with time.  I have quite the stack ready for the upcoming read-a-thon, so I should get plenty of practice!  :wink:

With the book reviews on here, try not to think of them as reviews but think of it as what you would say about a book if you were telling a friend about it. I was worried about the standard of my reviews when I started to do them on here. These worries were unfounded and because we write different kind of reviews it makes reading them a pleasure. If we all did similar reviews it would be boring.

I saw this today. No, it's not my latest book haul!

I like how the only daughter in the family found the book titled The Princess B*tchface Syndrome - Surviving Adolescent Girls in the livingroom...

Edited by frankie

I agree with Brian. And some people prefer reading shorter reviews, anyways :)

Gore Vidal once said that people only read the first and last paragraph of reviews. Which is pretty much what I do when I read professional reviews. I find it impossible to follow synopses and even more impossible to write them. It's an interesting challenge to condense one's thoughts to a few sentences and still say something interesting.

Edited by ethan

• 2 weeks later...

I find it rather interesting that you're aiming to keep acquired books to a minimum and only buy books you know you will be able to read quite soon after. I've noticed that I buy way too many books, then end up getting confused about which one to read first! I may steal your idea.

I looked up the "101 Experiments in Philosophy" book on Goodreads, it sounds thought-provoking, I have put it on my to-read list. As a fantasy fan, I looked up Steven Erikson's books as well, and have added "Gardens of the Moon" to my list.

I also wanted to comment on "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski that you've got on your list. You've got some stamina to be willing to read that book I have to admit - I finished it last year after goodness knows how many months, but I think it's worth the trek.

You also have three of Stephen Fry's books on your list - excellent taste. ;)

You've got a long list of Haruki Makurami's books on your to-read list - have you read 1Q84?

And I also love the fact that you have a list dedicated to Books on Madness.

By the way, would you recommend Candide by Voltaire (I realise it's on your recommended reading list)? I would like to give it a go, but am worried it may be a bit dense for me.

Thanks for your post Angury, it's a rare treat to have someone go over one's first page of the reading log so 'late' into the year! And so methodically, too :D

I find it rather interesting that you're aiming to keep acquired books to a minimum and only buy books you know you will be able to read quite soon after. I've noticed that I buy way too many books, then end up getting confused about which one to read first! I may steal your idea.

I used to buy loads of books, just like a lot of people on here. In 2008-2009 I bought over 100 books per year, and in 2010-2011 I bought over 300 books per year. I read a lot of those books, but of course I had over 200 books to stay on TBR during those craziest years. Most of the books were secondhand or free, so it wasn't overly expensive, but thinking back, it was way overboard. For me, that is. I realized at some point that if I continued this way, I would never be able to read all the books I own. That I would have a massive TBR and I would get anxious about not being able to conquer it. And I'm living in a student apartment, so I'm going to have to move soon enough, and I don't want to die from carrying thousands of books to the first floor and a truck :D

Chesilbeach conquered her TBR a few years ago: she didn't buy new books and concentrated on getting that TBR to zero. I thought it was very inspirational.

So all in all: I try to avoid buying books. I try to read books off the TBR. It helps that I don't have a steady income and that I'm planning to move to another city as soon as possible :P

I looked up the "101 Experiments in Philosophy" book on Goodreads, it sounds thought-provoking, I have put it on my to-read list. As a fantasy fan, I looked up Steven Erikson's books as well, and have added "Gardens of the Moon" to my list.

I'm rather intimidated by GotM, so I'm not the one to talk about that book :D If you have any questions or thoughts on that score, you should talk to Karsa Orlong :) He's a big fan of Erikson.

I also wanted to comment on "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski that you've got on your list. You've got some stamina to be willing to read that book I have to admit - I finished it last year after goodness knows how many months, but I think it's worth the trek.

I admire you for having finished the book! Was it difficult? I mean it took you many months, but ... was it also hardcore, way out there, over the head stuff? I initially wanted to get a copy of the book to read because it's on a few reading challenge lists of mine, but I've leafed through it and now I'm very intrigued purely on its own merit.

You also have three of Stephen Fry's books on your list - excellent taste. ;)

Haha, thank you :) Which Stephen Fry's have you read yourself? Have you read any of his fictional books?

You've got a long list of Haruki Makurami's books on your to-read list - have you read 1Q84?

I have to admit, I've only read Sputnik Sweetheart, and even though I didn't rate it all that highly (I think I gave it 3/5 at the most), it has stayed on my mind. And it made me want to read Murakami's other novels, too.

And I also love the fact that you have a list dedicated to Books on Madness.

:D I do enjoy psychology and all things mad, most definitely. Fiction, non-fiction. The human mind is very fascinating!

By the way, would you recommend Candide by Voltaire (I realise it's on your recommended reading list)? I would like to give it a go, but am worried it may be a bit dense for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'dense'...? (I'm non-native English speaker) Ah. Further search on MOT dictionaries explained it. A person is dense, but a text is dense, and those are two very different things. I now get what you meant. So:

No, Candide won't be too dense for you, I promise! I feared the same when I borrowed a copy from the library and started reading it, but I soon discovered it was nothing like I'd expected. It was the oddest book, but very easy to read. I know quite a few other people who've thought the same when reading the book. It's actually quite a hoot! If and when you get to reading it, I'd definitely like to hear what you made of it. Here's the thread for the book. Try to not read the spoilers! :)

Edited by frankie

How are you getting on with not buying books Frankie? I'm doing very badly, still buying more than I'm reading :(

I would like to conquer my TBR one day but at over 200 books it would take at least 3 years I think!

How are you getting on with not buying books Frankie? I'm doing very badly, still buying more than I'm reading :(

I'm doing pretty good, I have to say. It's not easy, though, and if I did have more money, I think I wouldn't be as disciplined as I am now...

Sorry for too much detail, but here are stats on bought books since joining the forum:

2008: 116

2009: 160

2010: 321

2011: 309

2012: 99

2013: 66

(The absolute crazy year of 2010 is when I met Kylie so I blame her :P)

So far this year I've acquired only 20 books.

- Only one of them was bought as new (It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini for 6,80e)

- 14 others were bought as secondhand, for 2e in total

- 3 were presents from BCF members

- 2 were free books from the library book exhange trolley.

Not too shabby!

I would like to conquer my TBR one day but at over 200 books it would take at least 3 years I think!

I think 200 TBR is manageable! :friends3: Three years is not very long in the bigger scheme of things. You could totally get that TBR down in numbers if you only bought fewer books. I'm not saying that it's easy to buy fewer books... It wasn't easy for me, it took me some time to get to 'this level'. Maybe you could start with a few rules? Like, you can only buy a new book after reading three books off the TBR? Or maybe you could start borrowing books from the library instead of buying them for yourself?

I used to buy loads of books, just like a lot of people on here. In 2008-2009 I bought over 100 books per year, and in 2010-2011 I bought over 300 books per year. I read a lot of those books, but of course I had over 200 books to stay on TBR during those craziest years. Most of the books were secondhand or free, so it wasn't overly expensive, but thinking back, it was way overboard. For me, that is. I realized at some point that if I continued this way, I would never be able to read all the books I own. That I would have a massive TBR and I would get anxious about not being able to conquer it. And I'm living in a student apartment, so I'm going to have to move soon enough, and I don't want to die from carrying thousands of books to the first floor and a truck :D

Wow, 300! Haha, I'm almost in the same position as you. I'm also a student, so sometimes I live near my university, and other times during vacations live at home with my parents. It's a bit of a drag having to carry my books from one place to another, so I do want to lighten the load.

When I get my own house though, I plan to have a massive library with books stacking high into the ceiling. ;)

Chesilbeach conquered her TBR a few years ago: she didn't buy new books and concentrated on getting that TBR to zero. I thought it was very inspirational.

That is very inspirational, and I think I might try and make that my aim as well. Otherwise it's quite easy to get distracted by new books and forget that massive TBR list hanging on your wall. It's also nice to have a set goal before going out and indulging yourself in a bookshop.

I'm rather intimidated by GotM, so I'm not the one to talk about that book :D

What makes you feel intimidated by it? I've never read any of the author's work so I'm not aware of his writing style or anything like that.

I admire you for having finished the book! Was it difficult? I mean it took you many months, but ... was it also hardcore, way out there, over the head stuff? I initially wanted to get a copy of the book to read because it's on a few reading challenge lists of mine, but I've leafed through it and now I'm very intrigued purely on its own merit.

Ah, so if you've leafed through it you've noticed the bizarre typography throughout the book. I don't think it was difficult.. just long. It can be a bit annoying at times trying to figure out which line you're supposed to read next, but more than anything else it's just a bit lengthy. I found the story a bit dry at the start but it definitely picks up. And I'd never read a book with that sort of strange writing style with words going all over the page, so that was quite refreshing in itself. He has a reason for playing around with the sentences though; the way each page is structured closely reflects the storyline, which I think is a smart thing to do.

Don't worry about it being difficult though.. there aren't any long words that you have to look up in a dictionary or anything like that. I think it's more difficult in the sense that it's different.

Haha, thank you :) Which Stephen Fry's have you read yourself? Have you read any of his fictional books?

Unfortunately I have yet to read any of his books, but he is one of my idols. It's so nice to have someone in the public eye who is a big bookworm and advocates things like autodidactism and thinking for yourself. I notice you're from Finland - is he popular over there?

I don't know if you've watched any of his documentaries or interviews, but I would definitely recommend them.

Here is a particular video where he describes in the English language in his wonderful eloquence:

:D I do enjoy psychology and all things mad, most definitely. Fiction, non-fiction. The human mind is very fascinating!

I absolutely agree. I am particularly interested in Psychiatry and Neurology, so mainly what happens when the brain and mind stops working. And I also think the link between Philosophy, Psychology and Personality is rather interesting - they all seem interconnected. I think such books also reveal a lot about yourself, and how fragile the human mind can be at times.

Wow, 300! Haha, I'm almost in the same position as you. I'm also a student, so sometimes I live near my university, and other times during vacations live at home with my parents. It's a bit of a drag having to carry my books from one place to another, so I do want to lighten the load.

Ah, a fellow student! :) I can imagine dragging your books to and from your parents' house is very vexing, although I can definitely see why it must be done! I'd hate to have my books scattered around in two or more different places... (Do you live in a dorm, and have to vacate the premisis for summer? I live in the same city - and apartment - all year round so fortunately I don't have to haul my books anywhere.)

When I get my own house though, I plan to have a massive library with books stacking high into the ceiling.

I hear you! :lol: Other people are looking forward to getting their own place so they can have a proper sauna or a garden to tamper with, but not us... We are only looking forward to being able to start hoarding as many books as we like! :lol:

That is very inspirational, and I think I might try and make that my aim as well. Otherwise it's quite easy to get distracted by new books and forget that massive TBR list hanging on your wall. It's also nice to have a set goal before going out and indulging yourself in a bookshop.

When I started trying not to buy that many books, I had a few rules that helped me: if the book I wanted was originally published in English, I could only buy the English copy. Meaning, if I saw a cheap secondhand Finnish copy, I would have to leave it behind and wait for the English copy to surface. This of course doesn't really help you native speakers. The other rule that I found really helpful was that I could only buy books that were already on my wishlist (and no cheating allowed! It wouldn't do to promise oneself to add the book's title to the wishlist the minute I got home, after buying the copy... :blush:).

What makes you feel intimidated by it? I've never read any of the author's work so I'm not aware of his writing style or anything like that.

Well, it's fantasy. I still feel intimidated by books that are in the fantasy genre even though I've actually read more of them than I'd think. But even more so, it's a long series and I've gotten the idea that it's not the easiest place to start, for an unaccustomed fantasy reader. But don't let my fears stop you from giving the books ago! Others have enjoyed them immensely :)

Ah, so if you've leafed through it you've noticed the bizarre typography throughout the book. I don't think it was difficult.. just long. It can be a bit annoying at times trying to figure out which line you're supposed to read next, but more than anything else it's just a bit lengthy. I found the story a bit dry at the start but it definitely picks up. And I'd never read a book with that sort of strange writing style with words going all over the page, so that was quite refreshing in itself. He has a reason for playing around with the sentences though; the way each page is structured closely reflects the storyline, which I think is a smart thing to do.

Don't worry about it being difficult though.. there aren't any long words that you have to look up in a dictionary or anything like that. I think it's more difficult in the sense that it's different.

I guess it takes some time to get accustomed to the style of the book... One needs to be in a very open and receptive state of mind, I think. Those moods are rare to come by so who knows when I will actually get to reading the book. Thanks for the info, though, I'm happy to hear it's not difficult per se.

And it is a rather beautiful book, just going by the cover and the looks, isn't it :)

Unfortunately I have yet to read any of his books, but he is one of my idols. It's so nice to have someone in the public eye who is a big bookworm and advocates things like autodidactism and thinking for yourself. I notice you're from Finland - is he popular over there?

I don't know if you've watched any of his documentaries or interviews, but I would definitely recommend them.

We have had the Jeeves show on here and a few of those Fry & Laurie shows as well, and I think they are very popular among the people who have watched them, yes. All the Anglophiles I know love Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie! :wub: I've also watched and loved Kingdom. I know we've had a few Fry documents or document series shown over here, but I've not watched them unfortunately. I know they are most likely fascinating, but I'm sometimes very lazy when it comes to watching documents :blush:

Thanks for the link, I watched the first few minutes of it, and it was heart melting :giggle: Sound sex! I could listen to him talk for hours... I love his use of words. I study languages so I'm very drawn to this type of thing, not very surprisingly :D I'll watch (and listen) the rest after posting this reply.

I absolutely agree. I am particularly interested in Psychiatry and Neurology, so mainly what happens when the brain and mind stops working. And I also think the link between Philosophy, Psychology and Personality is rather interesting - they all seem interconnected. I think such books also reveal a lot about yourself, and how fragile the human mind can be at times.

So is this your field of studies then? You're right, philosophy+psychology+personality is an interesting axis. I would also throw in criminal studies, and linguistics (I've had courses on linguistics, years ago... Courses like psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics. Absolutely fascinating stuff.).

^ The more I look at the video on the link and listen to it, the more I feel like I'm back in the pronunciation class, listening to the professor's 'this is how you do it' tape :lol: Those were the days...

Edit: Oooooh, and Fry "must confess, for example, that [he] finds it hard not to wince when someone aspirates the word, and it is a word, aitch". :giggle2: Snap!

Edited by frankie

(Do you live in a dorm, and have to vacate the premisis for summer? I live in the same city - and apartment - all year round so fortunately I don't have to haul my books anywhere.)

I change flats every year, and sometimes I have to change accommodation half way through the year if I'm working in a hospital that is too far away to commute. It also doesn't help that I tend to read books that are very thick. The kindle was a godsend for me.

The other rule that I found really helpful was that I could only buy books that were already on my wishlist (and no cheating allowed! It wouldn't do to promise oneself to add the book's title to the wishlist the minute I got home, after buying the copy... :blush:).

I have this awful habit (well maybe its not that awful) of adding books to my Goodreads TBR list whenever I come across a book that sounds interesting on the forum or in a bookshop. It's why my TBR list is so long, I just keep adding books to it as I come across them. And as there are countless books out there, it seems to be a never ending journey. I am awful with self control though, and I guess if there's one thing I should be addicted to, it's books. :P

Well, it's fantasy. I still feel intimidated by books that are in the fantasy genre even though I've actually read more of them than I'd think. But even more so, it's a long series and I've gotten the idea that it's not the easiest place to start, for an unaccustomed fantasy reader. But don't let my fears stop you from giving the books ago! Others have enjoyed them immensely :)

You are the first person I've heard who is intimidated by fantasy. I often hear the opposite view from people; they believe fantasy is a genre for kids only, and not "proper fiction." I think you notice that hierarchy in other art forms as well - in music for example, many elitists tend to put classical music at the top of their lists and claim everything else like pop, RnB etc is beneath them. It's a pity I think, because then you're just caging yourself in. I think it's best to go out there and explore the different things on offer.

I think it's great that you try out fantasy books even if you feel a bit intimidated by them. I started reading classical books last year despite the apprehension that they would go over my head and were "too smart" for me. And I'm glad I gave them a go, because some of the classical books are now my favourites! :)

I've recently delved into a bit of poetry as well; I used to be a bit frightened of it when I was younger because I thought of it as something only smart, well-read literature students (like yourself! :P) read.

I study languages so I'm very drawn to this type of thing, not very surprisingly :D

Ah, if you study languages you may find this interesting:

Basically from 3:25 onwards in the video he talks about how varied the English language is because of it's past history - the different civilisations that conquered the country and thereby influenced our way of speaking.

Here is another excellent video (only one minute long) where he talks about our reactions to swear words and how odd it is:

I think it is quite odd how we view certain words as being "wrong." And I don't know if it's a cultural thing either - the same swear words seem to be censored in other countries as well. Maybe it has to do with how society's views changes. Pejoratives regarding homosexuality are probably seen equivalent to some swear words today considering the legalisations of same sex marriage, whereas in the past I imagine such words would have been deemed normal. I wonder what words will be censored in the next few decades.

So is this your field of studies then? (I've had courses on linguistics, years ago... Courses like psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics. Absolutely fascinating stuff.).

I study medicine, so I am hoping to be a doctor someday (perhaps a psychiatrist or working in Public Health, but no doubt my desires will change as I continue through the course).

Regarding your last point, Stephen Fry did a documentary about the evolution of language which I think you might find interesting. ;) It;s probably on youtube somewhere,

As you can probably tell, I am in love with Mr Fry. He is an Honorary Fellow at my university, and he also helped out with some research here in Bipolar Disorder. If I ever meet him, I want to give him a big hug! :P

Edited by Angury

I would definitely blame Kylie ;)

I do read from the library as well as buy! So I am slower to read the TBR ;) I think the one book bought for three books read is a good rule to stick to though. I overpaid my credit card six months ago so I have had a lot of "credit" on it, and the card is linked to Amazon.... Oop.

I change flats every year, and sometimes I have to change accommodation half way through the year if I'm working in a hospital that is too far away to commute. It also doesn't help that I tend to read books that are very thick. The kindle was a godsend for me.

Oh, that's a lot of moving! :o And as much as I actually love moving, that would be too often to be any fun for me. But, if one's looking for a silver lining, you probably don't hoard unnecessary and trivial things around you, because you know you'll be moving again soon, so in a way you save yourself from a lot of clutter. It's amazing how things just knock on the door and come in and pile up and make homes for themselves under the bed, in the cupboards...

Kindle is definitely for the likes of you! =D

I have this awful habit (well maybe its not that awful) of adding books to my Goodreads TBR list whenever I come across a book that sounds interesting on the forum or in a bookshop. It's why my TBR list is so long, I just keep adding books to it as I come across them. And as there are countless books out there, it seems to be a never ending journey. I am awful with self control though, and I guess if there's one thing I should be addicted to, it's books.

I'm the same: I have such a long wishlist on the first page of my reading log that it's not funny anymore =D (My main wishlist is in my reading log, I know many people on here have theirs on their Amazon accounts, and some like the Goodreads for that) Do you ever go through the 'Recommended' feature on the Goodreads page? In the top'ish right corner? Where it says that 'since you shelved House of Leaves, you might like...' and there's this row of books that GR thinks are similar and you can browse through those? I'm addicted to that :blush: It's a lot of fun! Although it gets a bit repetitive at times, the stupid thing will recommend the same bloody books time and time again if you don't add any new books to your shelves.

But hey, we need to have variety, we need to have options... :giggle: We can't have a TBR of three books only and go buy that. What if we are not in the mood of those specific three books?? That's my excuse...

You are the first person I've heard who is intimidated by fantasy. I often hear the opposite view from people; they believe fantasy is a genre for kids only, and not "proper fiction." I think you notice that hierarchy in other art forms as well - in music for example, many elitists tend to put classical music at the top of their lists and claim everything else like pop, RnB etc is beneath them. It's a pity I think, because then you're just caging yourself in. I think it's best to go out there and explore the different things on offer.

Ah yes, the elitists and their views =) I have to say, surprisingly many of my real life friends/pals/acquaintances read fantasy. With some of them, I've actually felt like the outcast for not reading fantasy. But then again... If one goes through my books, I do read more fantasy than I think I do. I think for many years I thought fantasy was the thing with dragons and swords, so I didn't really pause to think that some of the books I read are just as fantastical as those. I've read my Harry Potters, Sookie Stackhouses, Brothers Lionheart, Fire & Hemlock by Diane Wynne Jones, hm what else... The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford! (All of these I've loved)

I guess because for some reason I'm used to thinking that fantasy is this thing with dragons and swords and that it's something I can't grasp, I never realize how much fantasy I do read. I mean, I think 'Harry Potter isn't proper fantasy, because I've read them and I understand them and they weren't difficult to read'. So I guess it's all really in my head.

I agree with you, I think one only benefits from dipping into all the different genres. Whether it be movies, literature, music, or other. We can't like everything, but you never know if you like something or not if you don't try :)

I think it's great that you try out fantasy books even if you feel a bit intimidated by them. I started reading classical books last year despite the apprehension that they would go over my head and were "too smart" for me. And I'm glad I gave them a go, because some of the classical books are now my favourites!

Exactly! You (a general 'you') have a preconceived notion about something (the human mind works that way, the brain usually likes to put things into categories to make life a bit easier, and it's for us to fight against it), and you can decide whether to leave it at that or to see if you might be right by some odd chance. And it's not like you can lose by trying something out!

I think a lot of people are intimidated by classics. I don't know if the school system has something to do with that, with all the mandatory classics to read... There are some difficult classics but also some very readable ones! Kids ought to be 'subjected' to the more readable ones, I think...

I've recently delved into a bit of poetry as well; I used to be a bit frightened of it when I was younger because I thought of it as something only smart, well-read literature students (like yourself!) read.

Oooh! Poetry scares the bejesus out of me :D Even though I've had a few obligatory courses on the subject... Let me know how you are doing with that! You are so, so brave... =D

Ah, if you study languages you may find this interesting:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBOCHPCYnDw

Basically from 3:25 onwards in the video he talks about how varied the English language is because of it's past history - the different civilisations that conquered the country and thereby influenced our way of speaking.

Thanks for posting! Terrifically fascinating. And something that's so easily forgotten. As a language student, I confess that I forget all of this very easily. Language does change. Language is alive and therefore always subject to change.

(And of course, very 'book'! So great that the word 'book', of all words, should mean 'cool' :D)

Here is another excellent video (only one minute long) where he talks about our reactions to swear words and how odd it is:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0Ny6WhfLU

I think it is quite odd how we view certain words as being "wrong." And I don't know if it's a cultural thing either - the same swear words seem to be censored in other countries as well. Maybe it has to do with how society's views changes. Pejoratives regarding homosexuality are probably seen equivalent to some swear words today considering the legalisations of same sex marriage, whereas in the past I imagine such words would have been deemed normal. I wonder what words will be censored in the next few decades.

Another great clip! How did he get to be so clever and witty and smart?? I envy the bloke, I do! He makes a very valid point, and about something I've never come to think of myself. Bloody hell! It's really odd when you start thinking about it.

I study medicine, so I am hoping to be a doctor someday (perhaps a psychiatrist or working in Public Health, but no doubt my desires will change as I continue through the course).

Ah yes, I did see you'd started a topic on medical books, duh! Good luck with your studies, I hope you will get where you eventually want to be :smile2: You will, because I can sense you have the passion for it =)

Regarding your last point, Stephen Fry did a documentary about the evolution of language which I think you might find interesting. It;s probably on youtube somewhere

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip!

As you can probably tell, I am in love with Mr Fry. He is an Honorary Fellow at my university, and he also helped out with some research here in Bipolar Disorder. If I ever meet him, I want to give him a big hug!

Bloody hell, you are so lucky! :o I really, really hope you get to meet him someday!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! Imagine if you could work with him on some project. I mean it could honestly happen! I wonder if you'd have shakey knees... :D I wonder if you would lose your ability to speak!

I would definitely blame Kylie

Oh yeah :rolleyes: She's such a bad influence, for sure! :giggle::D She's such an enabler. When we went to the bookfair, she'd gotten me my own trolley in which to stash the books I wanted to buy. Totally enabling the grabbing of all the books I fancied even in the slightest :D

I do read from the library as well as buy! So I am slower to read the TBR. I think the one book bought for three books read is a good rule to stick to though.

It gets worse, doesn't it, if you do pop into the library to borrow books, as well as try and read books off your TBR :giggle::blush::D But one can't help it! Sometimes you look at your wishlist, and think how you'd love to read this one specific book right now, and you check the library's website, and they have a copy, and you don't, because it's on your wishlist, not TBR... And then you go to the library, walk towards the shelf where you know the book will be, and have your eyes open because you can't walk blindly, because you fear you will run into people and you will get banned... And then you notice another book that's been on your wishlist for ages. And then you debate whether you ought to borrow that one as well, now that it's there, ... And soon after that, the same thing happens all over again, and by the time you get to that one book you went into the library for in the first place, you have 7 other books. :blush:

I overpaid my credit card six months ago so I have had a lot of "credit" on it, and the card is linked to Amazon.... Oop.

Woman, you live a dangerous life... :o:lol: Oooop!!

A Man in Full

by Tom Wolfe

1064_t%C3%A4ysi_mies.jpg

Athena recently asked me if she was the only one enjoying writing reviews. And then I opened my Open Office BCF reviews document and thought, screw the chronological order of books read, I'm going to start with the book I'm definitely going to enjoy reviewing. HAA!

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. I know of Tom Wolfe mostly because of his book The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. What a name for a book! I know the book because it's on the (wait for it... legendary!) Rory Gilmore reading challenge list. I haven't read it yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be something else.

I bought my copy of AMiF from the removed library books shelves in Nurmes, my home-home town. My copy is in Finnish, and it's a huge book. 737 pages, so not that long, I've read longer books. But it's a big hardback copy. When I bought the book, I suppose I did read the details of the book on the inside cover, but forgot all about them. Probably because it sounded rather boring!

So, I had the copy hanging around for a few years and I wasn't feeling it, at all. About a year ago, I think, I was going through my bookcases to find books to get rid of, to take to the library. AMiF ended up in that pile of books. When a friend came over, I let her go through all those removed books, and when she was reading the blurb on each book, I picked the Wolfe up and re-read the blurb. “Atlanta, football, real estate, big egos, hunting grounds, skyscrapers. Banks, loans, debters, Georgia tech, football star accused. California, job interview, storages,...” Boring! I was becoming tired of seeing the book lying around. I opened the book, rolling my eyes, and started reading a random passage. And there was a dirty word that rhymes with a rock! (My copy is in Finnish, but I have a feeling that's the chosen word in English.) Okay, that in itself did shock (another rhyme, unintended) me, and made me think maybe the book isn't as boring as I think, but that alone didn't convince me. Or maybe it did, this was a year ago and it's hard to remember. But I read further on and realized that hey, I do want to read this book at some point. So I kept it.

Before all this, I've never tried reading the book, I've never picked it up to start it. I've never been keen. But after deciding to keep the book, I've been eyeing it every now and then, and now that I'm going to (hopefully!) move into another city sometime in the (hopefully not too distant!) future, I thought it would be great to read the book and get it over with, because then I can give the copy away and tadaa, fewer books to have to haul to the new apartment!

Obviously, I didn't take into consideration the fact that I might actually enjoy the book so much that I wouldn't want to get rid of the copy... :unsure:

Going into the book, I didn't re-read the blurb and didn't know/remember what it was going to be about. I just started reading. I was introduced to Charlie Croker, who's sitting on his favorite horse, making sure his posture is straight and that everyone in the hunting party can see what a muscular frame he has. He is 60 years old himself, and his wife Serena is 28. He wants to make a real show of the quail shooting and he wants to impress his guests who are accompanying him in this outdoors activity. All this happens in a big plantation in south Georgia. It makes me wonder what year it is. What with the African American servants, the horses and carriages, and the plantation, it makes me wonder if this is happening a century ago. Then I read on, and it's the last decade of the 20th century. I wonder if Wolfe set out to throw the reader off or if it's just me.

Wolfe is very open about Croker's character (and his faults) from the start, there are no great surprises in store, but the interesting thing will be to see if the man conquers or falls, and if he changes in any way in the course of the novel. I'm intrigued!

That was the prologue. Now comes the first chapter. And what is this? All of a sudden I feel the 1990s, cars are cruising the streets, and there's talk about a Freaknic. What's a freaknic? I soon find out... I would just love to have an English copy now at my hands so I could quote the lyrics of the song that is playing in the streets in the novel. If you think 'ghetto gangsta rap discusses booty' you get the idea. (I'd also like to know if this song is a real song, or if this is concocted by Wolfe. Not that I doubt there are songs like that out there.) An African American lawyer is late for an important client meeting and he's jammed in traffic with and because of these African American freaknickers. This is very different from the prologue, and I of course wonder what this all has to do with Croker.

I could carry on and on, but I'll finish describing the actual chapters of the books by saying that the reader does come across a few other chapters where he is again introduced to yet another stranger, in the midst of all things. But it all will make sense.

Usually this kind of thing might throw me off, but I was so into the novel that it was easy for me to remember who was who and how each of these people were connected. It speaks volumes about how invested I was in the novel.

At some point something very odd hit me: Wolfe (at least when it comes to this particular novel) is like the non-horror fictional novel's Stephen King. Which most definitely isn't a bad thing! Wolfe goes off on these tangents just like King. His character descriptions remind me of King's. The leisurely meandering instead of getting straight to the point. I might be the only one to think of King when reading this book, and I'm not sure I've managed to fully convey these ideas, even to myself... But the whole thing makes me love the book even more.

I'm not sure to whom I would recommend this book. I can't think of anyone in particular who would absolutely, without a doubt, love it. But I'm sure some would!

5/5

Edited by frankie