Frankie reads 2014

frankie

Walter Moers! Yayyyyy! I'm currently reading Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures. But I'm so jealous because you have got his one book that hasn't been translated into English so I may never be able to read it. :( I believe it's a retelling of Hansel and Gretel. I really hope they translate it into English one day. Not sure why it hasn't been done already, especially since it's part of the series that has already been translated.

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear it hasn't been translated into English. :( Maybe it will be, some day in the future? If nothing else helps, you'll just have to wait til I'm rich and can afford to take a year off and I will translate the book for you :D That and the Elling book :yes::empathy:

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Athena, I'm pretty excited about all of them :) And having the chance to browse through books and knowing that I could pick which ever titles I wanted was a great feeling :D Purest form of retail therapy. I don't get to do that very often these days, sadly.

I just catalogued my books and checked to see which reading challenge Arabat was on and it turns out it wasn't and isn't :doh:  :rolleyes::D

So I checked if any other books by Barker are on any of my reading challenges, and nope, they are not :D

When I was shopping these books, I didn't even read the blurb on the book. I have no idea what it's about :lol: But I do love the covers... Very prettyful!

Has anyone read the book? Is it any good? I think I ought to give it a try, at least...

Edited by frankie

I just catalogued my books and checked to see which reading challenge Arabat was on and it turns out it wasn't and isn't :doh:  :rolleyes::D

So I checked if any other books by Barker are on any of my reading challenges, and nope, they are not :D

When I was shopping these books, I didn't even read the blurb on the book. I have no idea what it's about :lol: But I do love the covers... Very prettyful!

Has anyone read the book? Is it any good? I think I ought to give it a try, at least...

x

I don't know either of the books but I do agree that you should give them a try :). If they don't appeal to you after some pages you could always give them to someone else or charity etc.

I didn't know he did poetry, too! :) Is he any good? Is it creepy poetry? :D

I am very intrigued by this...I had no idea this existed....I'm going to have to look for it, would be a great gift for my daughter....she loves Tim Burton films

I have Arabat on my shelf too. Haven't read it though.

Go ahead and read it, and then let me know! :D

x

I don't know either of the books but I do agree that you should give them a try :). If they don't appeal to you after some pages you could always give them to someone else or charity etc.

Yep, that's a solid plan :)

On another note: I have so many reviews to catch up on! The idea of having to do them is not enticing in the least.

I'm sure others enjoy writing them, too. I just have other things on my mind and have left the reviews hanging.

x

Well, BB doesn't enjoy it much either and with both of you proclaiming this recently, I was just wondering :).

I was downloading pictures from my camera to my computer and realized I still had some of the Christmas pictures there. I remember I told someone (quite possibly poppyshake?) that I would post some pictures of my Christmas decorations, because I never do decorations myself, in my student apartment. This year I thought I'd give it a go :D

So here are a few pictures. I know I'm very late to this :blush:  A lot of the postcards are from some of the members on here, thank you very much! :flowers2:

post-4458-0-20469200-1393868964_thumb.jpg

That's a picture of my empty'ish bookcase. There's the Christmas calendar chalie sent me, and you can also see Dwight from The Office (that was a house warming present from my ex, not that I even have a new apartment yet :D). I've hung some of my Christmas poscards from the shelf.

post-4458-0-03826500-1393869084_thumb.jpg

Christmas cards hanging on the wall. The dog and the moose (elk?) I got from poppyshake the Christmas before! And the colorful Christmas trees I actually cut from the wonderful decorational papering that was separating different parcels in the package the lovely poppyshake sent me. I love the trees :D I've put them somewhere safe because I'm going to use them in the future, too!

post-4458-0-30273200-1393869340_thumb.jpg

The heart I also got from poppyshake, and the dog I also got the Christmas before, from poppyshake, again. She does spoil me so! :flowers2:  And the decorative S is also from Kay. It's going on my bookcase when I finally move to Lahti and finally have my bookcase organized for the first time in ages.

It's very festive :), great photos!

P.S. If you like, I'll send you a card next year. I thought about it this year, but when I did it was too late to be asking for your or anyone else's address (I only send out two cards to people on the forum).

Edited by Athena

x

Well, BB doesn't enjoy it much either and with both of you proclaiming this recently, I was just wondering :).

I think the reason I don't enjoy them, is because I don't find them easy and I feel a bit self-conscious when I'm writing them. :blush2:  :doh:  I just can't get my words to flow, and sometimes I can spend about a week trying to make a review sound informative. It's very daunting when they pile up, and I start to feel quite stressed about it (which is probably a bit silly :giggle2: ).

I think the reason I don't enjoy them, is because I don't find them easy and I feel a bit self-conscious when I'm writing them. :blush2:  :doh:  I just can't get my words to flow, and sometimes I can spend about a week trying to make a review sound informative. It's very daunting when they pile up, and I start to feel quite stressed about it (which is probably a bit silly :giggle2: ).

I don't think it's silly.  I'm brand-new to writing reviews, and with all the very experienced reviewers on here, I find it a bit intimidating. I worry that my reviews are too superficial, or that they reveal too much, or that they review too little, etcetera.  It really does take me quite some time to write one.  When I go back to read it, what I thought was quite thorough was actually just four or five sentences - barely a proper paragraph!  

I think I need to resign myself to the fact that my review is simply my opinion and if it's not to someone's liking that there are plenty of other reviews out there to be read.  (I don't mean that glibly, truly.)  However, someone just might find something I've said helpful or interesting or reason enough to read the book and find out for him or herself.  If nothing else, it's a great way for me to organize my thoughts on what I've just read and to hopefully become a more engaged, aware reader.  Maybe if I looked upon that as my primary objective, and anyone else coming along for the ride as icing on the cake, then I would find review-writing to be a much less stressful and more enjoyable undertaking.  Sorry to ramble... :unsure:

My reviews used to be pretty short when I first joined here (just over a year ago), they've grown longer as I got more experience with writing reviews. So maybe it'll get better :). I like to read other people's reviews, it's nice to get a bit of an impression of what the book is like and whether the person liked it or not.