Frankie reads 2014

frankie

My mojo's been very obliging this year, I've been on a reading binge, and have therefore been a bit quieter on here.

I made a few book reservations at the library earlier this year, and yesterday I went and picked up the arrived books. :smile2: I also got the February RC book as well as Dune for the March RC, in case it wins the poll. I would've also gotten American Gods but either the library has lost the English copy, someone's stolen it or then they've removed it from the collection :( The Finnish copy was not available.

All in all, I borrowed these:

(Books I'd reserved:)

- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (which I wishlisted thanks to poppyshake's review)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (a co-worker showed me the book and told me about it when I was working at the library. Kylie's also read it and recommended it.)

- The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate (omnibus) by Nancy Mitford (I've borrowed this a few times before but never got around to reading the novels...)

(and the rest:)

- The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst (February RC book)

- Dune by Frank Herbert (possibly the March RC book)

- A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (um...)

- Flowers for Mrs. Harris by Paul Gallico (which I wishlisted thanks to chesilbeach's review)

- Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor (which I wishlisted thanks to poppyshake's review)

I don't know if I will read all of these books, I have enough borrowed books from the library as it is, but I couldn't leave these puppies at the library.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome book :cool:

I was really surprised by how short the book is :o I really thought it was at least 700 pages long. I guess I've seen the omnibus with some of the sequels and thought it was the whole book. So even though I didn't second Dune, I think I might read it if it wins the poll. I can manage 280 pages!

It's a bit problematic because it's a Finnish copy... I might have a difficult time with the different names when discussing the book. :giggle: But then again, I can make all kinds of fancy theories because you guys won't know what I'm talking about to begin with, if I use the Finnish terms... You'll just all think I'm hella smart :D

Even more awesome book :D

So says the ex :shrug::D

Edited by frankie

I was really surprised by how short the book is :o I really thought it was at least 700 pages long. I guess I've seen the omnibus with some of the sequels and thought it was the whole book. So even though I didn't second Dune, I think I might read it if it wins the poll. I can manage 280 pages!

It's a bit problematic because it's a Finnish copy... I might have a difficult time with the different names when discussing the book. :giggle: But then again, I can make all kinds of fancy theories because you guys won't know what I'm talking about to begin with, if I use the Finnish term... You'll just all think I'm hella smart :D

280 pages?  Something's wrong there, it's about 600 pages long :shrug:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

280 pages?  Something's wrong there, it's about 600 pages long :shrug:

Whaaaaaat?? Hold on....

Edit: Oh crap... So Dune the book has three or so parts? Part 1, part 2 and part 3? And they are just that one book? :doh:

Sonovabitch.

Edited by frankie

Whaaaaaat?? Hold on....

Edit: Oh crap... So Dune the book has three or so parts? Part 1, part 2 and part 3? And they are just that one book? :doh:

Sonovabitch.

Crikey, sounds like the Finnish edition has been split, it's just the one volume here :shrug:

ETA: and yeah, the novel has three parts:  1: Dune, 2: Muad'Dib, 3: The Prophet  :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I knew the 280 pages was too good to be true :( And I don't even know which edition to go for now. The Gollancz edition only has 449 pages, so can it be right? Too depressing... Ah am not amused.

I'll sort it out later.

And the other Gollancz edition has 910 pages :lol:

Edited by frankie

If it's the paperback you're after, this one'll do the trick :)

ETA: actually, I think Amazon and BD might have their page counts confused - I think the 449 pages is closer to the truth :rolleyes:  I'll check my copy when I get home and let you know :)

Edited by Karsa Orlong

If it's the paperback you're after, this one'll do the trick :smile:

But I don't want to buy the book. That's the thing. :shrug:

Just checked and the three (Finnish) parts of Dune are 790 pages altogether. I know Finnish has long words, and the font might be different, but can it really be such a long novel in Finnish.

Edit: Just noticed your edit, and yep, the Finnish parts are 1: Dune, 2: Muad'Dib, 3: The Prophet, so that's at least correct. So maybe it is 790 pages in Finnish.

Edited by frankie

My mojo's been very obliging this year, I've been on a reading binge, and have therefore been a bit quieter on here.

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (a co-worker showed me the book and told me about it when I was working at the library. Kylie's also read it and recommended it.)

-  (omnibus) by Nancy Mitford (I've borrowed this a few times before but never got around to reading the novels...)

Good to hear your reading mojo is working well  :smile: .

Susan Cain's Quiet was a dull read, for me, so it will be interesting to see what you think of it. The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate are just an absolute hoot :D , but bitter-sweet at the same time :mellow: . I sometime re-read them (again and again) as they are wonderful as a pick-me-up, on the same level as P G Wodehouse. I hope you enjoy them :smile:  

Frankie

I'm glad your mojo is alive and well  . It sounds like you found some good library books. I have The Rosie Project, in a  giant tbr pile . I loved the Mitford books . Very good reading !

Enjoy ~

Congrats on the newly borrowed books! I hope you enjoy them :)! Quiet is on my wishlist so I look forward to hear what you think. Dune I really liked, so I look forward to hear what you think, once you have all three parts. My book is an old paperback copy, I had no idea they'd split it up in Finnish!

Edited by Athena

Whaaaaaat?? Hold on....

Sonovabitch.

My copy is 600 pages long....bummer that they published your version in 3 different parts. Makes it a bit confusing! :doh:

Good to hear your reading mojo is working well  :smile: .

Susan Cain's Quiet was a dull read, for me, so it will be interesting to see what you think of it. The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate are just an absolute hoot :D , but bitter-sweet at the same time :mellow: . I sometime re-read them (again and again) as they are wonderful as a pick-me-up, on the same level as P G Wodehouse. I hope you enjoy them :smile:  

I'm sorry you thought Quiet was a dull read :( What do you think made it so dull? I can't wait to read it. I'm an introvert, and when I was younger, I was more shy and didn't speak if I didn't have something to say that was to the point, or interesting or funny, in my opinion. I got more confidence years later and would talk more, but I've realized that sometimes I talk even when I don't feel like talking, because I have this stupid notion in my head that I'm no fun if I'm not entertaining. But I'd wish I would feel more comfortable shutting up again :D Entertaining is so vexing sometimes, it's mentally draining. I want to shut up and feel comfortable :D So reading this book, I hope I will feel like going back to my roots and be convinced that I have every right to shut up if I feel like it :D I don't know if that makes sense to other people.

I didn't remember that The Pursuit of Love is supposed to be a funny read! Now I'm more looking forward to reading it :) I don't much like the library copy, the print is small and the text is all close together and I think it will make a difficult read, but I do hope the story itself will make it all worth it!

Frankie

I'm glad your mojo is alive and well  . It sounds like you found some good library books. I have The Rosie Project, in a  giant tbr pile . I loved the Mitford books . Very good reading !

Enjoy ~

I already read The Rosie Project, and I absolutely loved it! I recommend you bump that one up in the TBR pile! :D

Congrats on the newly borrowed books! I hope you enjoy them :)! Quiet is on my wishlist so I look forward to hear what you think. Dune I really liked, so I look forward to hear what you think, once you have all three parts. My book is an old paperback copy, I had no idea they'd split it up in Finnish!

Thanks! :) I was rather put off by the Dune book after realizing it was only the first part. But the copy is nice, and I would think it makes it a lot easier to read the book in bed. Not having to use them muscles to hold a larger book... So that's a bonus!

My copy is 600 pages long....bummer that they published your version in 3 different parts. Makes it a bit confusing! :doh:

It was really confusing, yep. Mind is still boggling over that one :D I suppose it was my own damn fault, for not looking at the copy a bit closer. It might have said somewhere that it was the first part in the three part book. Well it did have that number 1, but I assumed it meant it was the first book in the series, not the novel.

But you know what they say about people who assume... They make an ass out of you and me... So they say!

In other news:

I got a letter from the Joensuu city yesterday, it was an official envelope, and I thought oh my god, what fresh hell is this, what have I done now :( But when I opened it, inside there was a card that had a picture of the Joensuu main library on the cover! And inside the card was a sheet of paper, that had a picture of a few bookcases at the library, and there was a printed note saying something like "You have made a book donation to the library. We thank You for the donation and wish you a Happy New Year!" and it was signed by the library's big boss. Wasn't that sweet?! :smile2:

I've donated books before but I've never gotten a card for that, so I wondered if it was because I'd donated a larger number of books than usual, and some were text books, too, and not just fiction. But then I talked about it with a friend and we came to the conclusion that it was because this time I'd written my address on the 'book donation slip' they gave to me to fill in. I've filled in the slips before but this was the first time I wrote my address on it, I think this time I was asked to do it and that's only why I did it.

But it was a really nice and sweet surprise. We have like the best library ever :cool:

I also got a book in the mail yesterday. Some months back I noticed this movie on imdb, called It's Kind of a Funny Story, and I made a mental note to watch the movie some day, because a) I loved the synopsis, b) Lauren Graham is in it and c) Keir Gilchrist is in it.

Then, a few weeks ago, I was on Goodreads and browsing through the recommendations the GR made according to my books. And the title It's Kind of a Funny Story popped up! I'd had no idea the movie is based on the book. So I immediately added it to my wishlist.

And then, last weekend, I was browsing Adlibris and BookDepo for a few specific books, and for some odd reason, on a complete whim, I searched for IKoaFS. I don't know why, because I thought if they had copies, they would probably be the normal price and I don't do normal price books these days because I'm trying to cut back on book buying these days. But holy hecks. Adlibris did have a copy and only for 6,80e!! :D So I immediately ordered the book.

With Adlibris, you usually have to be patient. They always always take the maximum time to search for the book and send it, and because I opt for the free delivery, it's 3-5 week days and more often than not it's always the maximum 5 days :rolleyes: Adlibris is the slowest ever!

But this time, I ordered the book on Sunday, and I thought I'd have to wait at least 1,5 weeks. But when I checked the status on Monday, they'd alread sent it, and I thought 3-5 days from Monday, so I should definitely get it on Friday at the latest. And I did! Wohoo for Adlibris :D

Oh and here's the synopsis of the novel (from BD) in case anyone is interested. It says rather a lot, so in case you don't want to read it all, just read the words in red :D

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life-which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job-Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does. That's when things start to get crazy. At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he's just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping-until, one night, he nearly kills himself. Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety. Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it's definitely a funny story.

Frankie

Thanks for the recommendation of moving Rosie Project up . I'll try to read it soon ,when the right mood hits !

As for the note from your library, that was very nice !

About the book you just got  :Did you know

the author committed suicide right before Christmas ?) The book must follow his life very closely . I hear it is REALLY good ,but sadly, the young guy who wrote it ended up taking his own life just a couple months ago .

That was nice of the library to show it's appreciation for your donation. I have a couple of books that i got for Christmas that i didn't really enjoy enough to keep but i don't want to just to give them to the charity shop because they're in mint condition. I hadn't thought of donating them to the library but that's what i'll do so thank you for helping me solve my book dilemma Frankie  :D

Your new book sounds really interesting :smile:  but then i read Julie's spoiler  :cray:

That was nice of the library to show it's appreciation for your donation. I have a couple of books that i got for Christmas that i didn't really enjoy enough to keep but i don't want to just to give them to the charity shop because they're in mint condition. I hadn't thought of donating them to the library but that's what i'll do so thank you for helping me solve my book dilemma Frankie  :D

Your new book sounds really interesting :smile:  but then i read Julie's spoiler  :cray:

Sorry KM

That's why I put it in the spoiler !

I'm sorry you thought Quiet was a dull read :( What do you think made it so dull? "

Well, I suppose it was wasn't really the type of book I was looking for; I know now that Quiet was mostly for introverts in the workplace. The book title Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking was a bit misleading. I was looking for general books about introversion. I've found a few "Introverts Unite! and how to tell the world how we are" sort of books. The amount of times I have read these books, and punched the air going "Yeah, that's me!" At least I am not the only person in the world who feels that way now, but it does feel as if you are in a (very small) minority.  

I'm an introvert, and when I was younger, I was more shy and didn't speak if I didn't have something to say that was to the point, or interesting or funny, in my opinion. I got more confidence years later and would talk more, but I've realized that sometimes I talk even when I don't feel like talking, because I have this stupid notion in my head that I'm no fun if I'm not entertaining. 

Wow, that is exactly the way I feel too!!  :empathy: . Quite a lot of the time I still feel very awkward in social settings, even with people I  know and get on with, and due to my disability (aphasia) I have real problems with being in a busy, noisy places. But I am very happy with being who I am, an introvert! :smile: 

I need my own quiet space, and I am happy with my own company - in fact, I need my own quiet company, and constant chatter and other people all the time is a a nightmare! I am happy to tell people about this these days, but I used to be mortified if someone thought that wasn't 'normal to be an introvert.(Well, I tell some people about this, and the sort of people who would "get it", but most people are so gregarious and need constant human company, who think that it's crazy to be happy alone) It's only in the last 10 years that I would admit that I am an introvert. Now I am proud to say it! 

But I'd wish I would feel more comfortable shutting up again :D Entertaining is so vexing sometimes, it's mentally draining. I want to shut up and feel comfortable 

Wow #2! You have just said what I had wished to say about myself! :D I have more confidence with people these days, and can chatter much more than when i was younger, but sometimes I feel that I wish I would shut up! I hate saying inane/drivel/balderdash things,(usually when I feel anxious or nervous) and I feel mortified when I am talking rubbish, and i worry for hours/days/years after, thinking "You Idiot! Why did you say that?!" :banghead: .  It's always difficult to get the balance right, and I'm always self-critical, so that makes things worse :doh: . Sounds familiar, frankie? Hey, Introverts unite!  :friends3:

Frankie, it's really nice of the library to send you a card! I hope you enjoy your new book :). I'm an introvert too and understand what you (Frankie) and you (Marie) are talking about, I'm like that too.

Athena, I am glad to hear that you are an introvert too :friends3: ! It took me a long time to realise that I was happy with myself, being an introvert, and that I didn't have to try to change, to be more extrovert. This is just the way I am (but part of me still worries me that I am rather aloof and stand-offish to people, but I have always been shy, and there is very little I can do about it :shrug: . I don't mean to offend people being aloof, but I'm not a party animal/person. It's wonderful that introverts can talk here, as it is very rare to meet introverts in the real world. (I only know one other person who is very like me)

I'm starting to wonder if I am an introvert myself. Always been a very quiet, shy girl, never did parties or drinking and always preferred being home on weekends with a book. I only have two or three friends I socialise with and often spend time on my own away from my partner.