Frankie reads 2014

frankie

This is the kind of bookcase I will have in Espoo. It's brown, and I have to say I'm not a fan of the color, it's a bit too dark for me in that room. But there's nothing in the room at the moment, so once I move in and have my curtains and stuff it won't be so overbearing :) 

174e183f723176bbf2b47b1c84b5c6de.jpeg

The shelves are 38cm deep, so I can fit two rows of books per shelf, which is great! 

Having such limited space for my books, I will have to organize them according to size :( There goes my ideals of organizing by genres and personal preferences. But I think i will have a bit of fun with it and try and organize it by color as well :) 

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll definitely take photos when it's all organized :) 

I just realized that at this time, next week, I'm doing the actual moving! :o Holy crap!

I've gathered all unneeded furniture in the middle of the room and taken the books I'm taking with me in the bedroom so there's no danger of them ending up in Nurmes :D I've managed to gather three bags of books with which I will depart. I will meet them later in life in Nurmes :) 

Parents will be here in an hour, I'm thinking I could start hauling the furniture down the stairs so it'll be easier for all of us. 

Exciting!! :) 

O. M. G. ! We were out organizing stuff in the van when my neighbor with the adorable and cuddly dog came out, and we started talking when her dog didn't want to go back inside but wanted to be cuddled. She said they are moving too (which I'd noticed because they've hauled stuff out of the apartment in the last month) and we talked about moving dates. I then told her I was moving to Espoo and she said so are they. !! :D Ooooh the doggy will be in Espoo! I didn't recognize the part of city they are moving to, and I don't think it's one that's close to me... But with dog gods willing, maybe I will bump into the adorable dog in Espoo. I mean what are the odds :D We move only one day apart and to the same city. 

I've now added the books my parents took home with them to my list on the first page of my reading log, in the post where I have my homehome books listed. I've also now removed them from my TBR, I got to delete 50 titles off my TBR :exc: I don't remember when my TBR has been this small... 

TBR 28.12.2013: 436

TBR 9.8.2014: 398

TBR 21.8.2014: 348 

And I've just been to all my lists and deleted all the 'on TBR' details from them, and when I was doing that to the 1001 Books You Must Read -list, my eyes caught this title that was familiar and it's a book I read earlier this year and I've not crossed it off the list. I think it might be because there are two different titles to the book...? But now I get to cross off one title off the 1001 Books list, all of a sudden :lol: How often does that happen? Usually it's the other way around: you think a book is on the list, you read the book, and then find out it was not. :D 

I've had loads of fun getting back into other people's reading logs, but I have to say, my wishlist will be a lot bigger for it... :blush: I wrote them down, manually, on a sheet of paper and also on a OpenOffice document and I will now spend a nice few minutes writing them down on my actual wishlist on the first page of this reading log. 

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to list the titles here and see how many I'll be adding... And this is all down to you guys, so I hope you are feeling duly guilty! :P:giggle2: 

(These will be in the chronological order in which I've written them down. Oh and I will mark -L-E- if there are English titles at the Espoo library. Oh and I now see I've not marked the members who've recommended the books on all accounts :( )

The Book of Human Skins by Michelle Lowric (Devi)

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton (poppyshake)  -L-E-

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall 

The English Monster by Lloyd Shepherd  -L-E-

The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney  -L-E-

The Uninvited by Liz Jensen (bobblybear) 

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome -L-E-

The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West 

The Kindness of Strangers by Mike McIntyre

Something More Than Night by Ian Tregillis (Timstar) 

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (anisia) -L-E-

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas by Frederick Douglas (Books do furnish a room) 

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood (Books do furnish a room) -L-E-

Textermination by Christine Brooke-Rose (Books do furnish a room) 

The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies (ethan)

The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark (ethan)  -L-E-

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman (nursenblack)  -L-E-

Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay (Karsa Orlong) -L-E-

The Parasol Protectorate -series by Gail Carriger (not sure if this is going on wishlist, but I'm intrigued!) (chesilbeach) -L-E-

Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd (chesilbeach)

Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (chesilbeach)  -L-E-

Buster's Diaries told by Roy Hattersley (Jänet)

A Very Long Engagement by Sébastien Japrisot (Jänet) -L-E-

A Kind Man by Susan Hill (Jänet)  -L-E-

This Is Life by Dan Rhodes (tunn300) -L-E-

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer -L-E-

Kiss My Asterisk by Jenny Baranick (Ruth)

High Rising by Angela Thirkell (poppyshake)

Mr Pye by Mervyn Peake (poppyshake)

Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes (poppyshake) -L-E-

Mrs Ames by E.F. Benson (poppyshake)

Idiopathy by Sam Byers (poppyshake) -L-E-

32 titles!!  :mellow:  I really wish I wasn't interested in such a wide range of novels :( Life would be easier if I could just hang onto one or two different genres :( 

But look at how many of those titles are available, in English, at the Espoo (and nearby) library!! :exc: 

I know that feeling too Frankie! I will read anything but romance, so as you have seen I have lots and lots and lots of books. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

I kno that feeling too Frankie! I will read anything but romance, so as you have seen I have lots and lots and lots of books. :giggle2:

In general I think it's a good thing to like many different things, it broadens one's horizons, but there are times when life would just be easier if one was more focused :D Maybe later in life... 

Oh, and the wishlist above is just the books I've written yesterday and today. The reading logs I read through earlier this week, those books I've already added to my OpenOffice document and therefore didn't write them in the above post.

Now I'm going to try and quickly write mini-reviews of all the books I've been meaning to review, all the ones I've read to this day. I want a clean slate for when I move to Espoo! If that makes sense. 

Praying for Sleep 
by Jeffery Deaver 

9780451203052.jpg

Blurb: Michael Hrubek is on a mission. The ones in the institution were out to get him. Like everybody else. But now he's free, and he'll show them all – especially her. He'll find the one who put him away. He'll make her pay. She called him a killer. He'll show her what killing's all about...

He's escaped. The man who murdered two of Lis Atcheson's students. [um... inaccurate blurb, wow!] Who haunted every disoriented day and hellish night following her testimony. Now he's after Lis. And only she can put an end to the nightmare he began...

Thoughts: This is the second standalone Jeffery Deaver novel I have read, and I read this right after The Blue Nowhere by the same author. This novel was a whole lot better. One of my small niggles with TBN was that it was very techy, and while I don't mind computers and computer talk as much as I would mind tanks and bombs and that kind of techy stuff, it wasn't as psychologically developed or human focused as I would have liked. Praying for Sleep on the other hand is just the stuff I like. There's a storm brewing in the novel and I liked how the nature's elements added to the story and the creepiness. Like with other Deaver novels, there were twists that I did not see coming and I was kept on my toes, guessing what would happen. 

The book doesn't compare to the brilliance of the Lincoln Rhyme novels I've read, but it was still an enjoyable, thrilling read :) 

4/5

Naisen päiväkirja 

by Eeva Kilpi 

1165_IMG_01545019.JPG

The book is 'A Woman's Diary' in English, and it is a published diary by Eeva Kilpi. She is a Finnish author born in 1928, and she was born and bred in the part of Karelia that we lost to the Soviet Union in the war. After that I believe she lived in the part of Karelia that was (thankfully!) left to Finland. So she's lived in my part of Finland and therefore I relate to her and her Finnish dialect :) Wikipedia says that her books have been translated into Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, German and even English! I didn't know that. Oh, and this is what the English wiki actually says: "Better known abroad than in Finland, her poetry, characterized as feminist humor, was discovered in the 1980s in Europe." Better known abroad then in Finland? Well maybe in certain circles... But I highly doubt it. That is not to belittle her work, but I must say I doubt it. 

I've never read any novels by Kilpi. The reason I bought this book when I found it at some charityshop is that back in 2011, I was sitting at a park with friends, it was summer and we were having a lovely picnic. I had recently become single and so you can imagine I had an eye for men... I saw a guy sitting not too far away from us and he was reading a book, and rather whimsically I decided to go ask him what book he was reading. Poor chap, I probably scared him a bit, appearing from out of nowhere :D I didn't know what I'd expected him to read, but certainly not a Finnish woman author whose books I know nothing about. Yes, he was reading a book by Eeva Kilpi. We had a bit of a chat about it and then I went back to my friends. The name stuck, and so I was happy to find her diary at a charitysop. 

I didn't have a lot of expectations for the book but I really enjoyed it! Kilpi addresses things like social anxieties, depression, and angst. Especially spring angst. I could relate to some of those things and my timing was very appropriate too: I read this book in May. Springtime! And Kilpi's sense of humor was something I very much enjoyed. On Mother's Day she had words with one of her sons and she felt bad it being Mother's Day, and she ended up up saying 'Thank you, you too!' a bit cynically to the son on the day :D 

You know how I like all kinds of bookish coincidences and connections and references? Well, my Bachelor's degree's paper is about a novel by Margaret Drabble. And what do you know. Kilpi went to see Drabble give a talk about writing and female authors! She had a few niggles about Drabble but I won't go into the details in this review. They made me giggle, though :) 

Another thing that I have come across many times in novels, too, is the Rosenbergs. They were mentioned in the diary. I've also seen them referred to in The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, and loads of other novels (which I can't remember now, unfortunately). 

There is one part I wanted to quote in my review. The diary is in Finnish of course, so this is my own quick translation: 

“S.K. was visiting yesterday. I had such a good time that I fear I talked too much. I am not that talkative with everyone else. She had made a philological discovery: the English word 'rune' which means 'riimukirjoitus' or 'vanha runo' is of Finnish origin, which is mentioned even in the Oxford dictionary. Finns have given poem and sauna to the world, the best gifts you can give to a mankind."

I liked that for a few different reasons. First, I didn't know 'rune' comes from a Finnish word! And I could relate to Kilpi on this matter: sometimes I don't see a lot of people for a long time, and then when I meet a close friend, the kind with whom I have a real connection, I get very, very talkative and afterwards I sometimes get anxious that I talked too much and probably bored the friend to tears :blush::giggle2: And third... I don't know who this S.K. person is, but I found it really funny because my initials are S.K. and I've studied philology and languages :D 

Something I found very human and humble about Kilpi is that she seemed to struggle with motherhood. She felt like she wasn't a good mother and she wrote about it quite frequently in the diary. She said she was reminded of Nigel Nicolson's description about his mother: how Vita Sackville-West didn't know how to be a mother no matter how hard she tried. She wasn't very natural with her children, she felt like they were strangers and they could pick up on that. And I thought it was a shame that this is something Kilpi struggled with because I got the feeling from her mentions of her dialogues with her children that she was indeed a good mother. 

Overall a very enjoyable read and it made me want to read some of her novels :) 

4/5 

Vanity Fair 

by William Makepeace Thackeray

post-4458-0-98037800-1408711857_thumb.jpgpost-4458-0-01468300-1408711936_thumb.jpg

From Amazon: Set against the backdrop of the Waterloo campaign during Napoleon’s Hundred Days, Vanity Fair tells the story of two very different women: Rebecca (Becky) Sharp and Amelia Sedley. Their education complete, Becky and Amelia set out into the world, where their lives follow different paths from a moral, social, and material perspective.

Thoughts: A long book of which I remember very little after so many months :blush: I remember enjoying it at the time, but if I had to say why, I would seriously struggle. :D

4/5 

Edited by frankie

Lola Rose 

by Jacqueline Wilson 

post-4458-0-18138800-1408712235_thumb.jpg

From Amazon: When life with Jayni's violent-tempered father becomes too frightening to cope with, Jayni, her mum and her little brother Kenny are forced to escape in the middle of the night. Slipping out of the house unseen, travelling up to London by train and checking into a hotel - it's almost like playing an elaborate game. They even make up false identities to protect their secret, and Jayni becomes the glamorous-sounding Lola Rose. But when money runs out and reality bites, what will they do next?

Thoughts: I like it how Jacqueline Wilson tackles these serious issues. She tells it how it is, she doesn't sugar coat things and yet she doesn't make her characters dwell on things. Horrible things happen and one is allowed to feel things but what really matters is how you deal with things and what you make of everything for yourself. 

I've just counted: I said 'things' five times. :rolleyes: I give up! :D 

A very good novel, I want to read more by Wilson :) 

4/5 

Impressive list Frankie! I have 'The Univited' on my kindle (and in paperback), I've still to read it, looking forward to your review. :)

Hehe, I think you will get to it long before me, it's only on my wishlist :D Which reminds me, the list is still only on the post above and on my Open Office document, I'd better add the titles to my actual wishlist soon so I won't forget. 

On another note.... The last few days have been difficult. I've had coffee with the few friends I have in Joensuu, to say 'goodbye'. I know I will see them later on, but it's still sad. I didn't expect to get this emotional about things, because I've been so excited about moving... But I guess this is only natural and inevitable. 

I've pretty much taken care of everything that needs taking care off and I now only have to clean the place up and pack things. I will have this day and tomorrow for that. Tomorrow a pal is coming over for a quick visit to take a few books off my hands, and then I'll babysit my friend's baby boy for about an hour. It's weird to see the friend and her baby, because she lives in Lahti but has lived in Joensuu this summer and we've been able to meet each other pretty much every week. But now that I'm moving to Espoo, I won't see her for a month, and it feels like a really long time, even though when she was still in Lahti, we only saw each other once every three months! It's so odd. I will miss her very much. She will move back to Lahti by the end of September, so I suppose I'll manage :) Then we can see each other a lot more than usual, it's only maybe 1h 15 minutes' commute :) I really can't wait to be able to visit her and have her visit me! :) 

I should now listen to some bouncy rock in order to get a bit of energy going, I need to start cleaning the place up :rolleyes: 

Naisen päiväkirja 

by Eeva Kilpi 

Sounds good- the whole time I was thinking of The Bell Jar and then you mentioned it!  :smile:

On another note.... The last few days have been difficult. I've had coffee with the few friends I have in Joensuu, to say 'goodbye'. I know I will see them later on, but it's still sad. I didn't expect to get this emotional about things, because I've been so excited about moving... But I guess this is only natural and inevitable. 

Then we can see each other a lot more than usual, it's only maybe 1h 15 minutes' commute :) I really can't wait to be able to visit her and have her visit me! :)

I should now listen to some bouncy rock in order to get a bit of energy going, I need to start cleaning the place up :rolleyes:

You're so sweet, Frankie :wub: I wish I knew you in person, you have lucky friends!

Edited by Anna Begins

Hehe, I think you will get to it long before me, it's only on my wishlist :D Which reminds me, the list is still only on the post above and on my Open Office document, I'd better add the titles to my actual wishlist soon so I won't forget. 

I've pretty much taken care of everything that needs taking care off and I now only have to clean the place up and pack things. I will have this day and tomorrow for that. Tomorrow a pal is coming over for a quick visit to take a few books off my hands, and then I'll babysit my friend's baby boy for about an hour. It's weird to see the friend and her baby, because she lives in Lahti but has lived in Joensuu this summer and we've been able to meet each other pretty much every week. But now that I'm moving to Espoo, I won't see her for a month, and it feels like a really long time, even though when she was still in Lahti, we only saw each other once every three months! It's so odd. I will miss her very much. She will move back to Lahti by the end of September, so I suppose I'll manage :) Then we can see each other a lot more than usual, it's only maybe 1h 15 minutes' commute :) I really can't wait to be able to visit her and have her visit me! :)

Good luck lovely :) Hope the move goes well xx The time will probably race by for that first month .. so much to do and discover and then you'll be able to see your friend again  :hug:

Hope the bouncy rock is helping to motivate  :D