pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

I just can't get my head around audio books.....if I'm holding still, I fall asleep, if I'm mucking in the house, I zone out and lose the train of thought, and if we're driving......./sigh/  Oh well.  :blush2:  :giggle2:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished two of the Wayward Pines novellas, one really a longish short story.  I really wish that Blake Crouch, the author of the original Wayward Pines series would keep a closer rein on the off shoots.  I'm beginning to think I won't even bother to purchase anymore of those. 

Nomad: A Wayward Pines Novella by Robert Swartwood 3/5

A fair addition to the Wayward Pines series, but not half as good as the original series that is still in progress.  This covers another aspect of the world outside the Wayward Pines compound extending the storyline somewhat, but not conflicting.  It's almost like fanfic, but a little more. 

and

An American Nightmare: A Wayward Pines Novella/short story 2/5

A rather unsatisfying addition to the lore of Wayward Pines, but it also adds somewhat to the fates of one of the main characters.  A bit amateurish, and not very good really.  Not even sure why I gave it as high a rating as I have.  Going soft in my old age I suppose. heh

Added in Edit:  Here is a link to the page that the reviews are to the two Pines and Wayward Pines books I read last year.  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/page-28

Edited by pontalba

Every time I read a review of The Rosie Project I could kick myself for listening to it and not reading it. I know that, in my head, it would've come across exactly as you've said. The narrator was just all wrong and that made Don unconvincing. I still liked it a lot but couldn't reconcile the voice to the character .. I need to re-visit once his voice has faded from memory. Great review Kate  :)

I just can't get my head around audio books.....if I'm holding still, I fall asleep, if I'm mucking in the house, I zone out and lose the train of thought, and if we're driving......./sigh/  Oh well.   :blush2:   :giggle2:

I cannot do audio books at all, for so many reasons.  Probably the biggest is that my mom read me to sleep every night until I was in about fifth grade, so anytime I'm read to, I fall straight asleep.  It's a perfect conditioned response.   :Zzzz: Secondly, I'm a visual-kinesthetic learner, so I just don't always follow what I'm hearing unless I'm taking notes.  Who wants to do that when reading for fun?  Thirdly, a lot of times I find the voices just plain annoying!

Edited by dtrpath27

I don't listen to audio books either, I'm sure most of you know why (but if not, it's because sound greatly tires me while reading not nearly as much. I much, much prefer to read rather than listen (I always have the subtitles on when I watch a DVD, so I know what they're going to say)).

I cannot do audio books at all, for so many reasons.  Probably the biggest is that my mom read me to sleep every night until I was in about fifth grade, so anytime I'm read to, I fall straight asleep.  It's a perfect conditioned response.   :Zzzz: Secondly, I'm a visual-kinesthetic learner, so I just don't always follow what I'm hearing unless I'm taking notes.  Who wants to do that when reading for fun?  Thirdly, a lot of times I find the voices just plain annoying!

Oh, that's a lovely memory of your Mother. :)

I don't listen to audio books either, I'm sure most of you know why (but if not, it's because sound greatly tires me while reading not nearly as much. I much, much prefer to read rather than listen (I always have the subtitles on when I watch a DVD, so I know what they're going to say)).

We always turn on the closed captioning as well.  Some of the actors just mumble! LOL 

But then, when the captioning is white lettering on a light background, it's annoying. 

I just can't get my head around audio books.....if I'm holding still, I fall asleep, if I'm mucking in the house, I zone out and lose the train of thought, and if we're driving......./sigh/  Oh well.  :blush2:  :giggle2:

Wandering off (in your head) can be a problem .. especially if the book is tedious or slow moving. I got into the habit of listening when cross stitching .. it's not easy to watch TV or anything when you're stitching but listening is no problem. Also during illnesses when I can't read I usually can listen and during long walks also (practically listened to the whole of Les Mis while out walking.) Because I've always done it (ever since the invention of books read on cassettes/discs) .. I find it fairly easy now. I listened to part of a story when ironing earlier. The narrator is key though .. some narrators could read anything and make it interesting .. others do the opposite :blush2: I do use them for falling asleep every night ... usually Stephen Fry reads me something .. I set my sleep timer for 30/60 mins and off I go to the land of Nod to have all sorts of weird dreams :D 

It's not for everyone .. I'm glad I like it though as it helps me read more books .. possibly I've lessened my hand/arm/eye strain as well :D 

I tried listening to something on my Kindle the other day and .. oh my!! .. those automated voices are not for listening to unless you really need to. They pieced together unfamiliar words from other words .. it made for very odd listening. 

I've discovered Librivox, a free audio book app. The readers are all volunteers so some are better than others. While I've been rather bedridden of late, I've been listening when I can't sleep at night....it's a surefire cure for insomnia! I don't think I've stayed awake for a complete short story yet! :D

I've discovered Librivox, a free audio book app. The readers are all volunteers so some are better than others. While I've been rather bedridden of late, I've been listening when I can't sleep at night....it's a surefire cure for insomnia! I don't think I've stayed awake for a complete short story yet! :D

It's a nice site, and how great is it that's it is free!  https://librivox.org/

In other news, we hit the local, monthly Library Sale here, damage only 12 books for 8 USD. 

Hard Rain by Janwillem Van de Wetering

Voices from the Civil War by Milton Meltzer  (American Civil War, or as we call it in the South, The Northern War of Aggression.....) :)

The Pure in Heart by Susan Hill

The Collected Stories (of) Amanda Cross

The Man in the Box by Thomas Moran

Flesh and Blood by Michael Cunningham

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

The Price of Glory, Verdun 1916 by Alistair Horne

Relativity by Albert Einstein

The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton

Seven Against Thebes by Aeschylus

This is me normally too.

but of late, I have been doing this before bed too.

Wonderful haul from the book sale!

Thanks, I can't wait till the Symphony Book Fair in May!

Congrats on your new books :)! I loved Interview with the Vampire when I first read it. Several other books you bought I hadn't heard of but they sound quite intruiging.

This was an extra copy.....it was in such good condition.  :blush2:  We've both already read it.

This is me normally too.

but of late, I have been doing this before bed too.

:readingtwo:  :D 

I know "they" say that looking at a screen with blue light isn't conducive to falling asleep, but I sometimes find playing something like Free Cell or Cipher will just knock me right out. 

On the Beach is the April Reading Circle Choice......so if you haven't read it yet, and are planning to I don't know if you want to read the review.  There are no spoilers, really.  I think everyone knows the basics of the story already.  No surprises there.  Also have to say, I loved it! :)

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

On the Beach by Nevil Shute  5/5

Everyone on the planet probably knows the story. Nuclear war, lasting only 37 days. This is the aftermath of that short lived mania. Radiation is spreading across the globe with the wind patterns, and the Southern Hemisphere is the last to be affected. There are only two American submarines left, and this novel covers the life of the one (now) based in Australia. The novel beautifully entwines the story of the submariners with the local citizens, all waiting for the Radiation Sickness to reach them. The manner in which they all handle it is shown with Shute's understated elegant prose, and economical style.

For some deluded reason, I'd put off reading this gem of a book. A few years ago I re-read Shute's A Town Like Alice, and was a little disappointed, so transferred that disappointment to a preconception of disappointment in this novel. How wrong can one person be? :)

Shute mostly portrays the better side of human nature, not ignoring the baser side, but not dwelling upon it. His characters are for the most part, honorable men and women trying to live the balance of their lives with a modicum of dignity. Sometimes the reader wants to say, Oh, come on!, but the characters remain true to themselves. They all manage in the best way they can, sometimes unrealistically, but on the other hand, with stark realism that is shattering.

On the Beach was written in 1957, and set in the early 1960's. Of course the technology is somewhat dated, but that doesn't affect the telling of a great human story.

Highly Recommended.

Well sometimes I watch a little tv before sleep too. I hardly get a chance to watch it during the day, so its kind of a treat, one I can't always stay awake to enjoy. :giggle2:

I've read a lot of Nevil Shute in earlier days. I managed to pick up his complete works in Heron Books for $20 at a book sale and many look unread. I've always intended to have a re-read.

On the Beach was never my favorite, although I loved A Town Like Alice (but this was a long time ago, I could quite easily think completely differently now ;))The ones I enjoyed the most were Requiem for A Wren and Pied Piper. Pied Piper was a lovely story about an elderly English man at the outbreak of WWII in France. He is entrusted with the care of two young children and as he tries to get them back to England, he acquires more children to look after.

Thanks, I can't wait till the Symphony Book Fair in May!

x

Oooh, tell me more about this book fair please :).

x

This was an extra copy.....it was in such good condition.  :blush2:  We've both already read it.

x

Ah :).

Great review of On the Beach! I don't remember much about it, it's been so long since I read it. If I find my copy before April, I'll join in on the Reading Circle though :).

EDIT: I just found my copy so I can participate in the April Reading Circle :exc:.

Edited by Athena

I've read a lot of Nevil Shute in earlier days. I managed to pick up his complete works in Heron Books for $20 at a book sale and many look unread. I've always intended to have a re-read.

On the Beach was never my favorite, although I loved A Town Like Alice (but this was a long time ago, I could quite easily think completely differently now ;))The ones I enjoyed the most were Requiem for A Wren and Pied Piper. Pied Piper was a lovely story about an elderly English man at the outbreak of WWII in France. He is entrusted with the care of two young children and as he tries to get them back to England, he acquires more children to look after.

I've pulled our copy of A Town Like Alice to reread, I read it first while a teenager, and the part about the March really stuck with me, and really kind of erased the rest from my mind.  When I reread it, I didn't much care for parts of the Alice bit.  But I want to try again.  I've also ordered Requiem for A Wren. second hand from Amazon.  I like your description of the latter. Thanks. :)

x

Oooh, tell me more about this book fair please :).

x

x

Ah

Great review of On the Beach! I don't remember much about it, it's been so long since I read it. If I find my copy before April, I'll join in on the Reading Circle though :).

EDIT: I just found my copy so I can participate in the April Reading Circle :exc:.

First of all, Yays!, on finding your copy!! Very happy to hear you'll be in on the discussion. :D   :cool:

Regarding the Book Fair... WOW!  I am so very glad you asked about it, Gaia!  I just googled it and found out it's not on the date I thought.  It's on March 28, 29, and 30th!  Yikes, we almost missed it.  They've changed the location as well.  It's back at the University of New Orleans.  It used to be there, years ago, but recently had been held at Delgado.....a two year college. 

Ok, it's the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra's annual Book Fair.  They have donation points throughout the year and the profits go to help the Orchestra.  It's wholly artist owned, and they're great. :D 

The sale has over 100,000 books, DVDs, the works.  Year before last, we came away with 4 large cloth carry alls full.  :)  Last year, we missed as my back was out of whack, couldn't stand for any period of time.  :(  I'm ok now though, and will wear my back brace!   Just in case.

~~had to remove a few emoticons~~

Edited by pontalba

Regarding the Book Fair... WOW!  I am so very glad you asked about it, Gaia!  I just googled it and found out it's not on the date I thought.  It's on March 28, 29, and 30th!  Yikes, we almost missed it.  They've changed the location as well.  It's back at the University of New Orleans.  It used to be there, years ago, but recently had been held at Delgado.....a two year college. 

Ok, it's the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra's annual Book Fair.  They have donation points throughout the year and the profits go to help the Orchestra.  It's wholly artist owned, and they're great. :D 

The sale has over 100,000 books, DVDs, the works.  Year before last, we came away with 4 large cloth carry alls full.  :)  Last year, we missed as my back was out of whack, couldn't stand for any period of time.  :(  I'm ok now though, and will wear my back brace!   Just in case.

x

I'm so glad to read you didn't miss it! It sounds amazing :D. I wish you lots of fun and hope you find some great books. I hope your back will do okay :(.

Thanks, Gaia.  :)

I have to report that I happily received two books from Michelle today, The Unquiet Grave and Deity by Steven Dunne.  He was one of our authors in residence for the month of February.  Quite a nice chap, and talented. :)  They are going to the top of Mt. TBR! :D

Also, from Amazon Marketplace.......A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif. 

Edited by pontalba

Woohoo! I hope you enjoy all the books :D!

Thanks! :)

Found a few more at an Estate Sale......

Really nice, old(ish) hardbacks of:

Eleven Plays of Henrik Ibsen  1948

The Narrow Corner by W. Somerset Maugham  1935

Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham  1967

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck  1939

and, a trade paperback sized copy of In the Land of Dreamy Dreams by Ellen Gilchrist

and, a newish hardback of The Appeal by John Grisham

I do like the title A Case of Exploding Mangoes, sounds like it could be interesting. Might have to check what its all about.

I do like the title A Case of Exploding Mangoes, sounds like it could be interesting. Might have to check what its all about.

It's satire, apparently of a General's assassination....in Pakistan.  I've only read the first page, but the guy can draw a picture with words!