Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

Invisible Man! Looking forward to your review on that one. I gave away my copy and I've been wondering if that was a mistake. I hope you enjoy! :)

PS. I've just recently read about all the problems you had, I'm sorry you've had such a crappy time. I hope things are now looking up and you will find better and bigger things soon! :friends3:

Thanks Frankie, what made you give it away?

Things have been a little better lately, we have found another house but it isn't quite as nice as the other but we're going for it anyway as it's much cheaper then living in Cambridge. Hopefully moving in around June.

Fantastic! :exc:  I think you'll love the Troy trilogy :D

:) I've no doubt, gonna read a couple more Drenai first though.

Great new books! I hope you enjoy them all :)! I liked Misspent Youth but I much prefered other books I read by Peter F. Hamilton later on (such as the Night's Dawn trilogy). I was quite a bit younger when I read it and hadn't read much science-fiction yet so I probably missed out on some references etc.

Thanks :) I've heard it's not one of his best but it's relatively short and a kind-of prequel to the Commonwealth Saga.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Frankie, what made you give it away?

Well, it had been on my TBR for a while and I was never really excited to start reading it. And lately I've been going through my shelves to give away books that I haven't felt like reading in a while (trying to reduce the amount of books I own).

Things have been a little better lately, we have found another house but it isn't quite as nice as the other but we're going for it anyway as it's much cheaper then living in Cambridge. Hopefully moving in around June.

I'm happy to hear you guys have found another house, and that things are looking up! :)

x

That sounds pretty good, good luck with it all :).

Thanks :) I've heard it's not one of his best but it's relatively short and a kind-of prequel to the Commonwealth Saga.

x

Ah yes, I haven't yet read the Commonwealth Saga, so maybe that explains it. I should re-read it once I've read that series. I hope you enjoy it :).

It will be The King Beyond the Gate and Waylander most likely

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose  :smile:

I really must re-read those two, so I can go on and read the third Waylander book and Quest for Lost Heroes.  Of course, I should re-read Legend as well.  Oh hell, this has put me in the mood for some Gemmell.  I have to read the others on my TBR pile before doing any re-reads :D

The-Dirty-Streets-of-Heaven-195x300.jpg The Dirty Streets of Heaven - Tad Williams

Synopsis

BOBBY DOLLAR ISN'T YOUR AVERAGE ANGEL.

Sure, he takes the occasional trip to Heaven, but his job as an advocate - arguing the fate of the recently deceased - keeps him pretty busy on Earth, and he's more than happy to spend the rest of his time propping up the bar with his fellow immortals.

Until the day a soul goes missing, presumed stolen by 'the other side'.

A new chapter in the war between heaven and hell is about to open. And Bobby is right in the middle of it, with only a desirable but deadly demon to aid him.

Review

I have had Williams' most famous work, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, on my TBR list for a long time, it being one of those series I say I'll start when I finish some of my current ones. But I hadn't actually read any of his work until now. Can't remember how I saw this but the title alone was enough to make me want to read it! The cover is also pretty cool. I'm generally not a fan of crime/detective novels but when the detective is an angel searching for a missing soul it's a different matter.

The story is told in first person, past tense from Bobby Dollar's point of view (the most American name in history) and hits the ground running, the reader is thrust right into the middle of an action sequence filled with demons, angels and guns. It then backtracks to the start of the story and Dollar begins to explain his angelic role as an advocate for heaven. As the story begins to unfold, we are gradually introduced to more lore, and 'rules'. Williams' has clearly well thought out these rules in advance and based his story around them, some taken from well known Christian doctrine, others are made up but believable.

This was a brilliantly refreshing read, fun, fast paced with great characters and brilliant dialogue. It manages to put in a nod to the usual detective clichés whilst avoiding them at the same time, Williams' seamlessly shifts the whole genre to heaven.

It was hard to find fault with this book, but the only things I could come up with is that it was maybe a bit too long despite the pace and it is sometimes distracting when the narrator, Dollar, addresses the reader directly. But as it is in a sort-of looking back memoir style, it didn't bother me too much.

I can't wait to read the sequels, also superbly named; Happy Hour in Hell and Sleeping Late on Judgement Day.

Overall 10/10

I really liked the series, but you can't always trust my opinion :giggle2:..

True 'dat!  :D

Finished a few other books lately:

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini - 9/10

Out of the Silent Planet - C.S. Lewis - 6/10

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas - 10/10 (Audio book)

This brings my total so far to 25 (29 including audio books)

Also have 5 books currently on the go.

Edited by Timstar

It's generally OK, at least one or two tend to be short story collections, so I'll read a story or two then put it down for a while. With the others avoid starting similar books so it will usually be a classic, a fantasy and something else. I don't get audio books confused with paper books so it's OK :)

45248.jpg Misspent Youth - Peter F. Hamilton

Synopsis

Jeff Baker is a legend. He’s an internationally-renowned inventor and philanthropist extraordinaire, and at seventy-eight he’s given the world much of his genius. So in 2040, when Europe can finally rejuvenate a human being after decades of research, Baker becomes first choice for the gift of youth. And after eighteen months in a German medical facility, Jeff returns home looking no more than twenty. The successful rejuvenation feels like a miracle – until the glow starts to fade. Jeff’s relationship with his ex-model wife changes drastically. He also sees his son Tim, and Tim’s gorgeous girlfriend, in a whole new light. As his pensioner friends start to resent what Jeff has become, he becomes increasingly aware that the world is watching. For great gifts come at a price and he will be expected to contribute yet more brilliant research to justify his place in the history books.

Review

After finishing the two mammoth Commonwealth Saga books I was eager for more and Misspent Youth is somewhat of a prequel, following the first man, Jeff, to undergo rejuvenation, an important technology within the later Saga. So having only read two previous Hamilton Books I could still tell that this wasn't like his normal stuff. It is very light on the SF, but it is still possible to see the same style there. Hamilton integrates ideas into the story without the need to go and explain them all, introducing them in such a way that it is obvious to their function. An example a new data storage device known as 'memory crystals' that replaces all known storage. Further to this, it is clear that Hamilton has thought carefully about current technology and the kind of technology he wanted to introduce in the Commonwealth Saga, and has used Misspent Youth as a bridge between the two.

I enjoyed the CS but not as much as others appear to have, especially on Amazon, MY on the other hand has been pretty badly scythed with on reviewer calling it 'Jilly Cooper in 2040' :o, So needless to say I wasn't expecting much. But it's hard to pinpoint why exactly but I really enjoyed MY! The characters are well thought out and interesting, the story has clear direction and is very short compare to his normal length of work. There is some great drama integrated nicely with the loose SF aspects. Lots of people seemed to be complaining about the amount of sex in the book but I didn't think it went overboard, it is obviously an important subject given that a 78 year old man becomes young and famous. I also think Hamilton may be anti-EU, as by 2040 Brussells has a lot more power and this is consistently put in a negative light, or maybe he is just been a realist as his ideas are certainly not far-fetched. 

So I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, I found the pages flying by and even found myself getting interested in the love triangle which becomes the main focus of the book for a while. I certainly think it helped to have read the CS beforehand, even though it was written afterwards.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

Misspent Youth sounds really interesting, Tim. Nice review! :)

Back from a fantastic holiday in Wales :) Didn't get a lot of time to read but I did finish Misspent Youth by Peter F. Hamilton, now started The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding.

Ooh, whereabouts in Wales did you go? Hope the weather was as nice there as it was here! :)

Look forward to your review of the Wooding too. :D