Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

Great review of The Heroes. :) I thought I was in the minority for not enjoying it as much as the others, but I found it much the same as you did. I didn't really connect with most of the characters, and even though it had some awesome scenes (and some great uses of shifting between characters in the middle of battles) I just wasn't as gripped by it as I was by Best Served Cold. But I also had the same experience with Red Country, which I know you loved. :shrug:

When you put it like that... can't really relate to either lol, but slightly more towards the coward than the rapist. :blush2:

:lol: Yeah, he doesn't really do 'relatable' does he? :giggle2:

Won't keep you waiting  :P

:hide::lol:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Tim. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as some of his other works. I hope you enjoy GotM, after all the comments on here I'm tempted to re-read it some time and see if I like it any better than the first time I read it (it was one of the first English books I read, aside from things during English lessons)..

Great review of The Heroes. :) I thought I was in the minority for not enjoying it as much as the others, but I found it much the same as you did. I didn't really connect with most of the characters, and even though it had some awesome scenes (and some great uses of shifting between characters in the middle of battles) I just wasn't as gripped by it as I was by Best Served Cold. But I also had the same experience with Red Country, which I know you loved. :shrug:

I did love the shifting perspective, that really got the pages flying by for me, but there wasn't too much of it :(

I did love Red Country and it's probably one of the few books I would want to re-read again so soon. It's a lot shorter than The Heroes though.

Great review Tim. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as some of his other works. I hope you enjoy GotM, after all the comments on here I'm tempted to re-read it some time and see if I like it any better than the first time I read it (it was one of the first English books I read, aside from things during English lessons)..

Thanks Gaia, don't listen to the others, I'll let you know if it's worth re-reading ;)

You're both mad, The Heroes is his best book :D

Thanks Gaia, don't listen to the others, I'll let you know if it's worth re-reading ;)

You'd have to read it twice to be able to do that :rolleyes:   :lol:

I hope you enjoy GotM, after all the comments on here I'm tempted to re-read it some time and see if I like it any better than the first time I read it

Serious answer to this: If I were you I wouldn't re-read GotM . . . yet.  If you want to give the series another go, I'd suggest starting with one of the other books instead and then return to GotM at a later date - you'll get much more out of it that way, imo.  There are three or four other points at which you could enter the series.  I think Laura might agree that Midnight Tides is one of the best, if not the best book in the series.  It starts a completely new storyline, so it's not essential to have vast amounts of knowledge of the previous books.  You could also start with Deadhouse Gates which, again, begins a new storyline.  I also know of a few people who started with Memories of Ice and got hooked on the series that way  :smile:

Serious answer to this: If I were you I wouldn't re-read GotM . . . yet.  If you want to give the series another go, I'd suggest starting with one of the other books instead and then return to GotM at a later date - you'll get much more out of it that way, imo.  There are three or four other points at which you could enter the series.  I think Laura might agree that Midnight Tides is one of the best, if not the best book in the series.  It starts a completely new storyline, so it's not essential to have vast amounts of knowledge of the previous books.  You could also start with Deadhouse Gates which, again, begins a new storyline.  I also know of a few people who started with Memories of Ice and got hooked on the series that way  :smile:

The thing is.. I'm hesitant to pick up another book if I didn't like the first book I read by the author. It's silly though since I often buy books of whose authors I don't know much about. If I see any of the books cheap I'll definitely jump on it but so far I've only seen them at a normal price and only online (I've never seen them at a book fair for example). The books are on my wishlist though, who knows I might pick them up at some point :).

Tim, I'll be taking a look at your challenge topic now.

:yeahthat:  :D

Out voted I'm afraid... :P

I've set up a new reading challenge thread for Malazan please take a look for updates on the series progression, and join me for a read/re-read if you'd like to :)

Awesome! Going for a mooch around in it now. :D

le-livre-malazeen-des-glorieux-defunts,- Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

Synopsis

Bled dry by interminable warfare, infighting and bloody confrontations with Lord Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii, the vast, sprawling Malazan empire simmers with discontent.

Even its imperial legions yearn for some respite. For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his Bridgeburners and for Tattersail, sole surviving sorceress of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, still holds out - and Empress Lasseen's ambition knows no bounds.

However, it seems the empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister forces gather as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand...

Review

As I'm sure you all know by now, Gardens of the Moon is the first chapter of the ten-part epic saga Malazan: Book of the Fallen co-created by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont. The series spans multiple stories across a number of continents with tonnes of history making it a must read (or at least a 'must-try') for any fans of epic fantasy.

I'd been in two minds about this series for a while, I knew I should really give it a go as it often ranks amongst peoples favourite series ever but on the other hand it very much seems to be a love it or hate it thing with the addition of it being notoriously difficult to get into and understand at the beginning. The series is famous (or should I say infamous) for the show and don't tell technique, and by show I mean the equivalent of a Victorian strip-show where the ankle is all you're going to see! So in the end I decided to just go for it and I'm really glad I did.

It was difficult to understand but it wasn't difficult to get into as the writing was captivating and characters bold and interesting. For the first 200 pages I had no clue what was happening, after that I starting to understand the events and remember the characters but still didn't understand the meaning or context of them. This continued throughout the book but that's not to say it's a bad thing. I really enjoyed the fact that I couldn't see the whole picture but was given only a glimpse of ankle of the larger story and world. This provided the main reason for me to keep reading; anticipation, the eagerness to learn more and find out the importance of the events and what's to come. This set in about a third of the way through and has continued long after I set the book down.

Full of sly hints, subtle references and a complex plot, there is certainly a lot more to get out of the book then what I took from it on the first reading. It is becoming clear why this is a favourite series of so many people and why a re-read is essential.

Overall 8/10

Great review, Tim! You've convinced me I should give it another try. Not right now, but when I'm in the mood for an epic fantasy. If I don't like the book after so many pages, I can stop again (but if I like it.. I will have to get the rest of the books.. :giggle2:). But I think it's worth a shot :).

So glad you enjoyed it Tim, and great to hear you're going to stick around for the rest of the series. It gets better and better! :D

:) Looking forward to it!

Tim, how are things going with your house/move?

All settled in now. Managed to get most of my books back from my parents and had to buy an extra bookcase :roll: I will post some pics soon.

Still putting up shelves and generally making it look nice but it's getting there, thanks :)

All settled in now. Managed to get most of my books back from my parents and had to buy an extra bookcase :roll: I will post some pics soon.

Still putting up shelves and generally making it look nice but it's getting there, thanks :)

That's great to hear/read :). I look forward to the pictures.

I was thinking of doing that, but maybe just my favourite ones as there are 20+, I do like the new covers they've released recently. But I would rather spend money on a book I don't own already. Such as these recent purchases:

post-8698-0-25573500-1406962324_thumb.jpg

I love the old sticker on this one:

post-8698-0-52598500-1406962844_thumb.jpg

:giggle2:

Edited by Timstar

I was thinking of doing that, but maybe just my favourite ones as there are 20+, I do like the new covers they've released recently. But I would rather spend money on a book I don't own already. Such as these recent purchases:

attachicon.gif2014-08-01 22.41.18.jpg

I love the old sticker on this one:

attachicon.gif2014-08-02 07.55.14.jpg

:giggle2:

I've been tempted by the J V Jones ones several times - not the 'Book of Words' trilogy but the 'Sword of Shadows' series - so look forward to hearing what you think of them.  Seems she's another one who's taking years and years to finish the series.  Four or five years since the last book? :shrug:

Some good reviews here :smile:

Steve, that forum contains a lot of interesting threads! I know you've linked it before and I've visited it before, but I might have to go back there at a later time to read some threads.

I didn't know the series wasn't yet finished, that's taking a while!